GTP WRS-Online : Event 74 : Slow in, Fast out - February 6

• Thread starter Hydro
  • 55 comments
It's taking forever and a day, but I'm trying to open the lounge... spinning, spinning, spinning...finally! Give me a minute or two to set up the track and it'll be ready.

I sent a friend request to all three of the 3D3 profiles about a week ago and not one has been accepted yet. Why?

I sent a friend request to all three of the 3D3 profiles about a week ago and not one has been accepted yet. Why?

I checked today and there were none outstanding.... Let me go check on my 2nd PS3. If the FR is there I'll accept it.

EDIT: I checked and you are already on the friends list of GTP_3D3Racing. It's showing you online right now.

Maybe they were accepted and just none were signed on when I thought they would be. I see 3D3Racing just came online and it shows it as a friend.

My mistake.

mazur
Maybe they were accepted and just none were signed on when I thought they would be. I see 3D3Racing just came online and it shows it as a friend.

My mistake.

Just click community tab, go to 3D3 racing, click the coffee cup and join.

Here are the results for the NA race:

event74_res_na.png

Congratz Mohit. At least I nabbed fast lap tonight.

The racing was much closer then is shown in the results. Like the EU race there were several people who ran out of gas. I ran out of gas with 1 lap to go about 1.5 seconds behind Mohit in the NA race after giving up the lead a lap earlier to Mohit. I knew I was going to run out with 5 laps to go, but nothing I could do and ended up pitting on the last lap and coming out in 5th place only to see Lucas in 3rd run out of gas and Yannik right in front of me without any tread left so I managed to sneak back on the podium. Paul (oink) ended up having to pit an extra time for gas with 5 to go I think. And JTV ran out of gas exiting onto the final straight of the final lap.

Here are the combined results from both races today:

event74_res_combined.png

A note on lapped traffic to all drivers:

There were a few issues in the NA race tonight, but luckily nothing that impacted the end result, although they very well would have been impacted had I not needed the extra stop anway. In any case, we follow the blue flag rule for all our events.

Your first and foremost goal in our events should be to have fun. If you are on the lead lap your next job as a racer is to drive clean and battle for position while of course following the GTP OLR Rules & Guidelines.

If you are lap down however, your responsibility (as outlined in the OLR) shifts to making sure you don't influence the results and obstruct any of the lead lap cars and after that battle for position with cars on your lap.

Drivers that are about to get lapped have to make sure not to interfere with the lapping cars. Slow down on the straights on either side of the track or maintain the outside line during cornering. If for whatever reason you happen to be on the inside line when being overtaken, stay on the inside line until all drivers that were about to lap you have passed. You are not allowed to deliberately block the lapping cars.

Note that the blue flag only applies to cars in your own class in a mixed class event. e.g. You do not have to move over for cars in the LMP class if you are lapped and driving a GT car.

Situation awareness is key and not always easy in the game. You should know your position on the leaderboard and if someone in front of you on the leaderboard is closing in from behind you know you are being lapped and should observe the blue flag. You may need to use the rear view to see who is behind you as the names are not displayed on the mirror. In any case, it's your responsibility to know the situation. If a lead lap driver has a mic and is worried you aren't aware he's lapping or if you don't seem to be observing the blue flag you'll likely hear them letting you know as happened a couple times tonight.

Anyway, good racing tonight and hope to see you all next week.

Congrats Mohit!

Good to see Paul in the NA Race Results. 👍 Another EU NA Race regular? :)

Nice job Jon and Tim for the podium spots!

Some nice battles with Yannik as well.

Thanks to all for coming out :cheers:.

P.S., just 9 thousandths of a second Tim :eek:.

I think Lucas (Gravitron) deserves a shout. Not having raced in a while and shows up cold and runs a 1'14 quali and a 1'14.3 during the race. Good stuff... if you got any practice you'd have been right up front. And another 3L of fuel and you'd have gotten a podium.

Still can't figure out why 70L was enough for me during the EU race, but not enough for you in the NA race? We were definitely running faster laps so maybe that was it?

Thanks, Tim. And darn those team orders. :P

It was fun pulling you for a few laps, and then figuring out how to follow you for a couple.

Where's my reserve fuel tank when I need it. :ouch:

Congrats Mohit, Jon, and Tim & Yannik for the great race strategies. 👍

Great racing today everyone, I had a blast.
Congrats Tim & Mohit on your wins and also to Sjaak & Speedy (and Tim again) on your podium places 👍

Here's a couple of snaps from the end of the 9th lap in the NA race (couldn't resist watching those opening 13 laps again :D)

8452917440_ff01c9beaf_c.jpg

8451826753_4e22b423d1_c.jpg

I was talking about that second shot in the lounge. We were connected like a train. :lol:

That's a great shot. Nice battles with you Mohit, you're real fast. You'll be D1 in no time showing skills like that. :cheers:

I must say I've been working hard to improve and last night I felt good about my efforts. Although down a lap I put in some decent lap times toward the end. I'm getting there slowly but surely so thanks to all for your patients and help. Also I hope it wasn't me that got in any ones way. I know the rules and abide to them carefully. I think only two passed me on the track. The rest when I was pitting.

Looking forward the enduro race :-)

Great racing today everyone, I had a blast.
Congrats Tim & Mohit on your wins and also to Sjaak & Speedy (and Tim again) on your podium places 👍

Here's a couple of snaps from the end of the 9th lap in the NA race (couldn't resist watching those opening 13 laps again :D)

8452917440_ff01c9beaf_c.jpg

8451826753_4e22b423d1_c.jpg

Great photos, Jon. :eek:👍

I think I see me in the background in the 2nd one...Or maybe that's Paul...

Do you have a much larger version of that pic? I'd like to use it. If not I'll try to capture the moment. It's kind of hard to believe that was the final corner of lap 10... you usually get a shot like that on the first corner of turn 1 lap 1 only! :dopey:

Congrats Mohit!

Good to see Paul in the NA Race Results. 👍 Another EU NA Race regular? :)

Sadly not, only managed to attend due to having a shift cancelled at work the next morning, so I figured I'd stay up late. But when I can, I'll be there.

Was great fun, but I will say I was really slow in both races. Whilst I wasn't particularly comfortable with the car, thats not really an excuse. Ill step my game up for the next one. Hopefully fuel isnt the bane of my life :ouch:

Sadly not, only managed to attend due to having a shift cancelled at work the next morning, so I figured I'd stay up late. But when I can, I'll be there.

Was great fun, but I will say I was really slow in both races. Whilst I wasn't particularly comfortable with the car, thats not really an excuse. Ill step my game up for the next one. Hopefully fuel isnt the bane of my life :ouch:

This combo was a bit unique in that track position was absolute king and passing was near impossible so everyone was cutting fuel very close. Normally, I put in at least a full lap buffer and I've never run out of fuel before last night (at least not that I remember).

To be safe use your per lap fuel consumption to project, don't forget to include the formation and then add one lap to the calculations as a buffer. Last night that would have been 4 L per lap * 44 Laps = 176 L. I managed to do the EU race with 170L which I calculated as the absolute minimum and only chose that because I was trying very hard to come out in front of JTV after the 2nd stop and was willing to take the risk for the win. If you are cutting fine hairs you can deduct a little for the formation lap and not include the buffer lap, which is how I came up with 170L and then you just hope and pray. Sometimes your prayers are answered and sometimes not.

I also find it's completely inconsistent how fuel consumption varies between my free run practice and the race. I'm convinced the draft helps fuel, but others here says it doesn't. I think it depends on how you use the draft. If you outbreak yourself on every corner due to draft it might hurt. But if you use the draft and coast into corners early and use just the same brake I think you save fuel. If you are in a tight battle you might have to slow down more... that could help or hurt fuel depending on how the battle unfolds. It's just very hard to predict so the extra lap buffer is the only safe way to go IMO. Or maybe do a practice run where you are locked in a battle for a stint and see how fuel is impacted ahead of time.

At least things are easier if only one stop is involved... no math required on the fly if you change your strategy during the race. The game doesn't make it easy... you can't think too long or your stop will be delayed and if you make a bad entry there is no edit... so think fast and think right... or just don't change your strategy and stick to the plan. In the 2.4 hour enduro races I typically stick rigidly to my plan because it gets way too complicated if you change it. Maybe during the 5 minute driver change you can assess the situation and check your calculations if you make a change, but it's just too easy to make a mistake otherwise with that many stops involved.

Anyway, this part of the simulation is fun to me. I enjoy coming up with a strategy and it's a big reason why I really appreciate the new settings we got a few updates ago to vary fuel consumption. It got boring when every race was one or no stops without any fuel required IMO.

Thanks, I made a film negative out of it and put it in the results post on page 1.

3cc3c5f1-f997-4b0c-aa7c-682215be1a62.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats to Tim and Mohit for getting first place in the races.

Absolute fun last night,the race had it all,glory,drama,excitement:)

The first stint I was following Tim and Paul,till around lap 10 when Pauls tires got worse and Tim could catch him after a little crash.
Instead of passing Paul at the same time,I followed him and crashed at the same spot.:dopey:
However in lap 13 I could pass him,followed by a first pitstop.
I took 24 liter of gas and in the next stint the gap between Paul,Chris and Al stayed the same for 14 laps.
I can tell you,to stay ahead of those guys is certainly not easy.👍

After the second pitstop I was suddenly right behind Tim and Jon and those two where a lap ago 15 seconds ahead of me.
The shock,I had ruined my race,took way to little gas,only 21 liter.
Ahhhh ,I had written down to use 60 liter for the last stint but must had a black out and used the games option of liters.

What to do,what to do!
Stop,pull over,race on,I was messing up a potential podium and it took a couple of laps to concentrate again.

I decide to push hard till the last drop and take the third pitstop,34 liters.
Luckily when leaving the pit I was not that far behind of Chris and Al.
Ofcourse in my hurry to gain lost ground ,again a unnecessary crash.
Finally in lap 40 I could overtake Al and also spotted Paul with the same problem as me,gas to little.
because of the better tires,I was closing in fast to Speedy and only to a brake mistake I could catch him in lap 43.
Last lap,but what the hell :scared:,my gas is again close to zero :nervous:,aaahhhh.
Now I got really nervous,with a Speedy still behind me.

last corner,I still have power,I see Jon going slow on the straight,also with gas problems.
Crazy race but in the end a result a to good result.
Jon's speed is the last months very impressive and you showed some real fast laps.

The pack:

2ihxiys.jpg

And side to side with Paul.

1hy24w.jpg

Last edited:
Some highlights from the first stint in the NA race:

Thanks for the congrats guys and the kind words Yannik!

Great pics guys 👍, nice highlights too Tim. Like the PIP concept.

I have some photos too, just need to find time to put them through some post production. Expect them tomorrow :).

Some pics from NA race:

Cape-Ring-South_1.png

GTP_gooners_17, GTP_Worst_Driver, GTP_WRP001, and GTP_JTV

Cape-Ring-South_2.png

GTP_oink following GTP_Gravitron

Cape-Ring-South_3.png

Same as pic 1

Cape-Ring-South_4.png

GTP_b00gee60 and GTP_Mazur

Cape-Ring-South_5.png

GTP_oink and GTP_gooners_17

Cape-Ring-South_6.png

GTP_Gravitron, GTP_Worst_Driver, and GTP_WRP001 fighting for 3rd in the final lap.

Cape-Ring-South_7.png

The pack.

Back