GTP WRS-Online : Event 87 : "Z" Ultimate Driving Machine - May 8

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 110 comments
Sorry guys, I had to leave the race, I'm too tired, I can't do 2 turns in a row without a mistake.

I prefer watch Tim who crashes in the pit wall, it's funniest ahah

Litchi
Sorry guys, I had to leave the race, I'm too tired, I can't do 2 turns in a row without a mistake.

No worries, get some sleep 👍.

Congrats Tim, and good job Paul on podium.

:dunce: Pretty stupid of me! I said don't hit the wall, looked at the wall and went straight into it. :dunce:

:yuck:

I thought it was me who stopped you in your come-back, how stupid i was loosing it on entrance of the pit lane..... sorry Will.

Congrats Tim, Mohit and Paul (wow podium !!), another two added to my WRS carreer, and I think thats all I am gonna say about it ;)

No worries, get some sleep 👍.

Congrats Tim, and good job Paul on podium.

+1, and thanks Mohit.

Sorry you were having a bad race there Litchi, after such a great quali time. Hopefully next time it will go better.

It was a great day of racing again! DC'd in the hair pin on the very last lap of the NA race. Little bummed about that, I had a good 4th place result coming my way. Oh well, EU race was awesome as well until I ran out of fuel with two laps to go!!!! Darn pit crew!!! It was a great replacement race for the Tesla! Looking forward to next week already! See you on the track!

Al

It was a great day of racing again! DC'd in the hair pin on the very last lap of the NA race. Little bummed about that, I had a good 4th place result coming my way. Oh well, EU race was awesome as well until I ran out of fuel with two laps to go!!!! Darn pit crew!!! It was a great replacement race for the Tesla! Looking forward to next week already! See you on the track!

Al

Yeah bummer Al, felt bad for you when i saw you dc'ing in the second race, you really deserved to be the best of the rest, well raced 👍

:yuck:

I thought it was me who stopped you in your come-back, how stupid i was loosing it on entrance of the pit lane..... sorry Will.

Congrats Tim, Mohit and Paul (wow podium !!), another two added to my WRS carreer, and I think thats all I am gonna say about it ;)

I guess this combo isn't getting your vote for a future Greatest Hits. :lol:

Well at least I really liked the combo. :sly:

Other than that idiotic move entering the pits and slamming in the wall and having to go in reverse to finally get back in the pits I had a very good race without any other mistakes at all. Much better pace versus the EU race and better tire wear too. I ran five straight 2'19.XXX laps from Lap 17 to Lap 21 without any draft assistance (or anyone in sight really). Once I broke away from Litchi and oink it was pretty lonely out there actually... I just kept making goals on the gaps to 2nd to keep my focus and that seemed to work pretty well. For a while in the 2nd stint I couldn't keep the gap from shrinking as oink kept chipping away, but I guess he used up his tires and I started hitting those 2'19s and the gap started coming back quickly.

I ran a 3/3 BB and after about 8 laps in each run I switched it to 4/3 and that seemed to help tame the handling. Drifting this thing was a mistake in the long run given the tendency for the rears to go away. I'm beginning to like these types of events more than my old favorite rockets on wheels... Never thought I'd say that.

Results will be out shortly.

EDIT: Here are the results:

event87_res_eu.png

event87_res_na.png

event87_res_combined.png

The admins & stewards have reviewed the incidents from the EU race and after some deliberation we've decided not to issue penalties so these results are official.

That being said, some of the driving we saw is not acceptable and will not be tolerated moving forward in our events, we expect better. OLR commandment #1 is to "avoid contact at all costs" and that certainly was not always observed by some of the drivers. We are going to issue warnings tomorrow once we have time to write up the language and collect some videos to highlight the incidents.

Last edited:
Was a fun combo, just wish I had that bit more pace in me. The group ahead of me seemed to always be in sight, just didn't have enough to catch up to them.

2nd stint I started getting tired and lap times were pretty bad, saw I was going to run out of fuel with 2 laps to go and quickly dived in the pits.

As per our tradition for first time winners here is the national anthem of Shane's home country:

Congratz Mate!

PS> Looked in the results history DB and realized Tidgney has yet to get his first win (he's got 4 podiums) -- was quite surprised -- I suspect we'll be playing this again pretty soon. :sly:

PPS> If you want to see the results history dating back to week 1 via Google Fusion Tables look here. It's not the greatest formatting at this point, but it's all there.

Last edited:
PS> Looked in the results history DB and realized Tidgney has yet to get his first win (he's got 4 podiums) -- was quite surprised -- I suspect we'll be playing this again pretty soon. :sly:

Haha true :(, I keep making bad fueling errors, Next race I'm gonna prep a fuel strategy, not rely on trying to work it out in the race!! But can't blame it all on fuel, some awesome racers/racing throughout, makes it quite hard work!! But all good fun :) 👍!

Haha true :(, I keep making bad fueling errors, Next race I'm gonna prep a fuel strategy, not rely on trying to work it out in the race!! But can't blame it all on fuel, some awesome racers/racing throughout, makes it quite hard work!! But all good fun :) 👍!

I guess your just not good enough eh Tidg.

INCIDENT REVIEW RESULTS:

The Admins are issuing over-aggressive driving warnings to SkillZz and Holty based on reported incidents and our review of the replay from the EU race yesterday. No penalties are being handed out in this case, but this warning means we expect to see a more conservative approach taken that adheres to OLR Racing Rules commandment #1, "Contacts and collisions must be avoided at all costs." Failure to do so will result in future penalties.

We'd like to highlight a few video clips which are posted here in the public forum so that all drivers can understand what we expect.

Exhibit #1: Borderline Dive Bomb
  • Video:

• Description:

SkillZz makes a very optimistic and aggressive dive under braking inside two driver battling for position in turn 3. This is a tough corner where the optimal approach is a wide angle opening up the door inside to someone willing to dive in and take a straight line to the apex. Adding to the complexity of the situation there are two drivers in front of SkillZz that are already side by side battling for position and thus going a bit slower so that they can avoid contact themselves while going side by side. The OLR states that an overtaking driver must establish sufficient overlap before the turn in point in order to have rights to sufficient side room (inside in this case). It's debatable exactly where the "turn in point" is in this situation (which is why we didn't issue a penalty and just a warning). Certainly at the initial braking point SkillzZ was clearly behind both Al and oink and deciding to dive inside at that angle was very unlikely to result in a pass without contact. In our opinion that was an aggressive move that did not "avoid contact at all costs", but rather put the objective of overtaking ahead of contact avoidance. Remember also that this was lap 4 of a 26 lap race. In the end there wasn't enough room for three drivers, contact was made between Al and SkillZz. Al didn't leave enough room for SkillZz inside as he was leaving room for oink outside, and SkillZz approach would have probably ended up in contact even if Al have left him a lane. Al got pushed into oink who got pushed off line. SkillZz sped away as if nothing happened rather than slow and give back the position.
  • Ruling:

A complex corner and some debate over the exact turn in point and whether sufficient overlap was established prior to turn in which would require Al to leave more room inside for SkillZz. Also very debatable whether SkillZz could have made this corner without leaning on Al even if a lane was provided given his approach speed and angle of attack. The situation was too gray to issue a penalty so a warning is being issued instead.
  • What we'd like to see in the future:

Before the corner: Taking into account this is lap 4 of a 26 lap event, SkillZz could have easily backed off and saved a pass attempt for a safer spot and attempt a move that had a very low probability of avoiding contact. After the corner: When the pass attempt resulted in contact, in order to error on the side of good sportsmanship, we would have liked to see SkillZz back off and give back the positions gained.

Exhibit #2: Excessive contact
  • Video:

• Description:

Holty is following SkillZz and the frequency of contact is just too high even if the severity of the contacts is relatively low it's quite disrupting to be tapped frequently during a race and 3-4 times in one lap is definitely excessive. If you can't manage to brake in time going into corners then you are not leaving enough room. If it happens once and it's a minor tap then no big deal, but learn from that and leave a bit more room or brake a bit earlier. Remember the car in front of you has to show the same courtesy to the driver in front of him.

The third "tap" on lap 9 in the video (10 secs) sends SKillZz slightly off his line. Later in the same corner SKillZz gets two tires in the sand and gets sucked into the sand trap. Would SkillZz have ended up in the sand trap had the tap not taken place? Likely not. Could SkillZz have backed off after being tapped and not ended up in the sand? Maybe. But by making contact Holty put SkillZz in a bad situation and then took advantage of it and left SkillZz without a thought of slowing up.

Later in the video (17 secs) you see Holty and SkillZz side by side going into the kink. This is a very tough place to go side by side and neither driver did anything malicious here, but contact was made, SkillZz went off. It's a racing incident, but could have been avoided if either driver had backed off a little bit. What isn't shown in the video is just prior to this SkillZz went wide on a corner and came back on track in a fairly aggressive way that ended with them being side by side. If I were SkillZz in this position (and given I had just made a mistake and gone wide) I would have lifted for one moment going into the kink and not put myself in a position to be the outside driver in the kink on lap 11 of a 26 lap race. At the same time Holty didn't lift even 1% to make sure he didn't slide into SkillZz and didn't lift at all after contact was made. Not the greatest show of sportsmanship.

Later in the video (27 secs) Holty makes a mistake and goes long at the chicane into the wall. He backs up when traffic is approaching, which is probably not a great idea, but stays out of the way for the most part, then turns forward and completely blocks the 2nd part of the chicane for ealirendur who makes contact with him. Again, this was a driving incident. Ren was obviously not at fault for the contact and was right to speed away, but it's highlighted here just to show that you have to be very careful when returning to track after a crash. Use the map and make sure you return when there is sufficient gap to do so without creating another crash.
  • Ruling:

The initial couple contacts with Holty and SkillZz have been ruled racing incidents as they were minor and resulted in no damage to either driver, but the frequency warrants a warning. Leave more room for error and brake earlier especially after the initial tap.

The contact that sent SkillZz in the sand was very close to incurring a penalty. It's likely there was also a driving error on SkillZz part that contributed to the "off" and this is a first offense for Holty so we're issuing a warning.

In the final incident where Ren hit Holty after an unsafe return to track no penalty has been applied because no significant damage was done to Ren's race. Had Ren obtained damage or been wrecked a time penalty would have been applied to Holty for an unsafe return.
  • What we'd like to see in the future:

First: Avoid contact at all costs.
    Second: Show good sportsmanship. If in doubt that you were the cause of an incident take the high road and concede the position(s) gained.
    Third: Be safe and conservative when returning to track whenever you go off, whether the off was a very wide off track exit from a corner or a full on crash.

In summary, all drivers need to understand if they attempt a risky maneuver putting their competitors in jeopardy be prepared to pay the price by making concessions when these moves don't work out as expected and contact is initiated. If they are not willing to make those concessions when there are "gray" areas then stay out of those situations and don't attempt the risky moves in the first place. The admins aren't keen on spending hours looking over replays and writing up these reports and if a single driver displays a pattern and generates too many of these incident reviews expect major repercussions. Don't be "that guy".

Remember, the focus here is on fun, fair and clean racing above all else. Sportsmanship and courtesy are valued above finishing position. Go out there and compete, race hard and have fun, but don't do so at the expense of other drivers. If in doubt, slow up and wait for a better spot. If a mistake happens be sure to return the position. Show courtesy and expect it in return. If drivers display an over-aggressive style they shouldn't expect courtesy in return and should prepare to impose self-penalties when things go awry and if not expect them to be handed out by the admins and expect the penalties to become more severe if a pattern emerges.

I've never seen one of these reviews before Tim, and I must say you and the team have done an amazing job there with explaining everything 👍.

As per our tradition for first time winners here is the national anthem of Shane's home country:

Congratz Mate!

PPS> If you want to see the results history dating back to week 1 via Google Fusion Tables look here. It's not the greatest formatting at this point, but it's all there.

Hi Tim ,

Cheers for that :) , I'm actually from South Africa but consider this my home as I've been here going on 5 years now .

Peace

Hi Tim ,

Cheers for that :) , I'm actually from South Africa but consider this my home as I've been here going on 5 years now .

Peace

OK. Well all we have to go by is what's listed in our database. I confess that I actually manually added you to the 3D3 driver list since you never filled out the form and I just copied UK as it was listed in your GTP profile. I can change your registration flag (what shows in the registration images) to South Africa if you prefer.

OK. Well all we have to go by is what's listed in our database. I confess that I actually manually added you to the 3D3 driver list since you never filled out the form and I just copied UK as it was listed in your GTP profile. I can change your registration flag (what shows in the registration images) to South Africa if you prefer.

No don't worry about it , the British anthem makes more sense to me any way :) .

Back