GTP WRS-Online : Event 95 : Pocket Rocket – July 3

• Thread starter Speedy6543
  • 71 comments
Because they kind of frown on that at work :lol:

You know I'd race if I could!

Couldn't get on. This is exactly why I never really do scheduled races. Too much goes on in the family at random times. :(

Last edited:
I'll have to get this dc situation sorted. I was running clean, consistent laps (my goal was to run 53 of them), had moved up to fourth (due to other's misfortune), and had just crossed the start line with my fastest lap when I got disconnected. Pretty bummed. Looks like y'all were having some good, close battles.

Pretty bummed I couldn't get myself out of bed for the NA Race. Woke up about half hour before my alarm to fall asleep again waking up well after quali time.
Really loved this combo and really wanted to race this one for a second time.

I'll have to get this dc situation sorted. I was running clean, consistent laps (my goal was to run 53 of them), had moved up to fourth (due to other's misfortune), and had just crossed the start line with my fastest lap when I got disconnected. Pretty bummed. Looks like y'all were having some good, close battles.

If you normally have no problems it might be as simple as rebooting your router and/or switch and/or modem... or maybe just a bad day or two for your ISP. All you can do is make sure the stuff on your side is working (dmz or UPnP)... Good router... Latest firmware.

If it doesn't improve change ISP or request a newer modem (or router if they provided it) or get a new router yourself. Obviously if you have the PS3 on wifi get rid of that first and foremost. Wired is the way to go.

What a different race this was then LaSarth, they were both about 1hr but the intensity was just so different. The fun factor was off the wall, the close racing was classic, the close calls were breath taking and the luck was everywhere. MJ was rock solid and Patric was shockingly dependable. The tire ware was manageable even on very fast but when it was most noticeable was when you were probably clawing at the edge of the track flat tracking the cushion.

I think Al was having prob's but when he was going it made the four pack flying nose to tail just that much more exciting. If you didn't make it you missed a great race 👍

If you normally have no problems it might be as simple as rebooting your router and/or switch and/or modem... or maybe just a bad day or two for your ISP. All you can do is make sure the stuff on your side is working (dmz or UPnP)... Good router... Latest firmware.

If it doesn't improve change ISP or request a newer modem (or router if they provided it) or get a new router yourself. Obviously if you have the PS3 on wifi get rid of that first and foremost. Wired is the way to go.

You know, I thought of that when I got up this morning. Last summer in the WRS races my PS3 was hooked up directly to the router. At our new home, there is no cable outlet there, so I'm using the wifi. It never has problems streaming movies/videos or playing other online games, but perhaps GT5 puts more strain on that wifi connection. We have a pretty awesome router and modem, so an upgrade there won't be possible. Now I have to figure out how to set up my PS3 where the router is on race nights.

Sounds like you all had a great race 👍 Looked like some tight racing from where I was sitting. If I get my router hooked up directly to my PS3, I'll definitely be in for next week.

You know, I thought of that when I got up this morning. Last summer in the WRS races my PS3 was hooked up directly to the router. At our new home, there is no cable outlet there, so I'm using the wifi. It never has problems streaming movies/videos or playing other online games, but perhaps GT5 puts more strain on that wifi connection. We have a pretty awesome router and modem, so an upgrade there won't be possible. Now I have to figure out how to set up my PS3 where the router is on race nights.

Sounds like you all had a great race 👍 Looked like some tight racing from where I was sitting. If I get my router hooked up directly to my PS3, I'll definitely be in for next week.

Wifi is a trap for GT5 online racing. You might be fine 8 out of 10 races, but with WIFI you can count on a random DC at times. GT5 is not at all like streaming movies or most other content consumption. They user buffers which will make invisible any short second or two drops of the connection. They will easily restart if the outage is a bit longer. At a worst case you'll get a page cannot load or have to restart the stream again (youtube)...

But GT5 needs to get constant updates, it doesn't need a ton of bandwidth in most cases, but it needs the stream to be stead. It can handle short outages and those result in lag, but not disconnects. But if it's long enough (that could be 2 seconds or in the wrong spot 1 second) the connection is completely broken and you get a DC.

A wifi can suffer from these short outages even if your wifi router and client are just feet apart... all it takes is a little interference from a neighbor, another device, a phone, outer space (I'm not even joking)... If you don't like to DC, then don't go WIFI. If you have to go WIFI then just go in expecting a certain percentage of the time you are going to get booted. If you go wired, you could still DC, but you eliminate an entire class of causes which are fairly common (interference on the radio spectrum). How bad WIFI is for you depends on your environment... how close are the neighbors, how good is your equipment, what spectrum are you using, who is driving by at a car with a radio device at that moment, etc. You get the idea. For a 55 minute race some may be able to have 95% success with wifi, but others closer to 0-10%...

95-Pocket-Rocket-NA-Results_zpsfe7c198f.png

Somehow I'm a thinking that mj'z gap time isn't correct. I was at +1min and he was just ahead of Patrick and me :dunce:

That's quite possible. Seeing no results were posted yet I just took a screenpic of the entered results without double checking. We'll get it sorted.

Back