GTP WRS-Online : Special Event II - Saturday Marathon - Feb 25

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 146 comments
Thanks Tim,

FYI - Wes ran 3 55's in a row on lap 26,27,28, and 2 56's by lap 4 :bowdown:

That's such a great race / track / car(s). I could easily run that combo again, and again....
It's all downhill from here :lol:

Thanks Tim,

FYI - Wes ran 3 55's in a row on lap 26,27,28, and 2 56's by lap 4 :bowdown:

That's such a great race / track / car(s). I could easily run that combo again, and again....
Congratulations on the win Marc.. 👍

I made this mistake because you guys made it so comfortable for me in the first stint, sneaky.:sly:

Congrats Marc, comfortable win in the end 👍
Didn't see much from back where I was, although I got a very close look at Wes when I ran into him in a cloud of smoke on lap 14 :D

Congratulations on the win Marc.. 👍

I made this mistake because you guys made it so comfortable for me in the first stint, sneaky.:sly:

Thanks Wes,
At one point I really thought you were trying to conserve your tires, but by lap 7 it seemed like you were too fast to get in 15 laps before the tires wore out. I had to lift in a few places just to ensure I made 10 laps safely.
Glad I was right ;)

Thanks Tim,

Yeah, somewhat :grumpy: I missed the fun. Shoulda gone to bed early (power cord came out of my alarmlaptop)!

But the other two tracks are great, and the car at Laguna is fantastic too.

Was thinking of spectating on KazSpa, about 40min into it, but saw 12 people in the room already, and didn't want to risk any network weirdness. Bet it was fun. :cheers:

50/50 for Laguna.

When are the Spa results going to be up?

A bit later. GTP_PASM won with GTP_Hydro and GTP_WRP001 taking the remaining podium spots. Got to get the kids to bed before I can do any more fiddling with google documents and get the results up.

Congratz on the win Bart. You ran a solid race from start to finish. 👍

I'll be in for Laguna (I've confirmed), barring unforeseen interruptions. Should be over to practice in about 1/2 an hour.

A bit later. GTP_PASM won with GTP_Hydro and GTP_WRP001 taking the remaining podium spots. Got to get the kids to bed before I can do any more fiddling with google documents and get the results up.

Congratz on the win Bart. You ran a solid race from start to finish. 👍

Thanks. Surprised to not see GTP_w-g-e at the top :)

Anybody know when the Laguna Practice Lobby will be up?

Congratulations on the win Bart (GTP_PASM) 👍
KazSpa results:

KazSpa.png

KSQuali.png

Between different pit strategies, and a good number of lead changes, that was an amazing race 👍
Good luck in the final event guys, I'll be spectating if I can make it.

Edit: I'm in 👍
Edit 2: I'm out - Game froze up on lap 20 :(

Last edited:
Here are the results. Congratz Wes and great run for the podium Ren! 👍

special_II_res_laguna.png

special_II_quali_laguna.png

I just lost the handle on the car for about 7-8 laps. I couldn't control it and finally figured out on Lap 12 after a pit and the rest of the race was pretty good for me.. although I was so far behind at that point I was basically by myself.

I think I ran this with active steering last time and I bet that's what threw me. I totally forgot about that and probably need to adjust my approach. Weird thing was I had no issue during quali, but I think it really manifested itself after about 4 laps -- I basically never did a run longer than 4 laps as I only had about 20 mins to practice.

Thanks to all the drivers that participated today and especially the road warriors that managed to make all 4 races. 👍

Last edited:
WRP001

I just lost the handle on the car for about 7-8 laps. I couldn't control it and finally figured out on Lap 12 after a pit and the rest of the race was pretty good for me.. although I was so far behind at that point I was basically by myself.

I think I ran this with active steering last time and I bet that's what threw me. I totally forgot about that and probably need to adjust my approach. Weird thing was I had no issue during quali, but I think it really manifested itself after about 4 laps -- I basically never did a run longer than 4 laps as I only had about 20 mins to practice.

Thanks to all the drivers that participated today and especially the road warriors that managed to make all 4 races. 👍

GTP_WRP001 I don't believe I was 12 laps down. I know I'm slow but not that slow. :)

I had the pace to take otkijto on my DS3 but switched over half way through.

Overall a great day also eye opening. Hope to race some more in the future and be able to compete in these races.

Thanks to everyone who was involved with setting up the races, you guys really did a great job. 👍

GTP_WRP001 I don't believe I was 12 laps down. I know I'm slow but not that slow. :)

I had the pace to take otkijto on my DS3 but switched over half way through.

Overall a great day also eye opening. Hope to race some more in the future and be able to compete in these races.

Thanks to everyone who was involved with setting up the races, you guys really did a great job. 👍

No, you were 2 laps down. That's my mistake as I put in 28 instead of 38 for completed laps. I'll fix it and update the image. 👍

EDIT: Fixed.

Last edited:
WRP001

Thanks to all the organizers and hosts!

Looking forward to checking the replay for the Wes v Pekka battle :bowdown:

Don't forget we had Grip Reduction Real this time, too, along with the no AS to save our hineys. I couldn't do a whole lap when I went out initially today, until I realized and tuned.

I used my own tune, quickly tweaked during the 20 min practice from last time (it was basically for safety); I'll post it up later here if I get a chance. It was probably frankentuned from others...

It sure was fun chasing up from last after the lap 2 spin - it was going to be quite a battle with Marc!

EDIT:

The random tune ...

568009aa.jpg

If somebody can give it a lap or two under the same track conditions sometime and let me know if it works, that'd be nifty.

Last edited:
Could not join for mountaineering due to an evil force provided a nasty migraine,
To bad because I missed a great race with a great combo.

Compliments for Tim,yet another successful event 👍👍👍

Sjaak
Could not join for mountaineering due to an evil force provided a nasty migraine,
To bad because I missed a great race with a great combo.

Compliments for Tim,yet another successful event 👍👍👍

Sorry about the migrane. Hopefully you can join us next month for whatever crazy special event we think up next.

I think between this marathon and "9 lives" there's a few drivers (and admins) running on steam at this point.

Here again just to say "thank you" to the organizers. Both races I entered were great and I'm glad my connection didn't cause any trouble in the Spa race.

My own performance was kind of "meh" but without prior practise (I bought the upgrades to the car about 30 miunutes before the race started :dunce: ) I guess I couldn't do any better. At Spa I didn't feel too bad about my pace in a "normal" lap, but my race was totally lost on mistakes. I guess that's where practise would've helped and I can only hope next time I can prepare myself better. This last week was totally a "no no" for gaming activities.

All in all, I had great time, the standards and competitiveness are incredibly high (that's good) and I'll sure come back to enter more of these racing events. Regardless of finishing position, I do have fun in them. Thanks all 👍

Same here, big thank you for the organizers, and other competitors..... last two weeks (time ive entered WRS) have been the most enjoyable so far on GT5. I love the way you guys set up races. It adds a kind of 'real life' thrill wich i enjoy !!

Although this weeks event is coming a bit early in my progression, I will be taking part in as much events as possible in the future.

So Tim, i know you can not run marathons every week, but i am already looking forward to the next one....

Hun200kmh
Here again just to say "thank you" to the organizers. Both races I entered were great and I'm glad my connection didn't cause any trouble in the Spa race.:

racingworld.be
Same here, big thank you for the organizers, and other competitors..... last two weeks (time ive entered WRS) have been the most enjoyable so far on GT5. I love the way you guys set up races. It adds a kind of 'real life' thrill wich i enjoy...

Glad you guys enjoyed it. Makes it worth the time invested to organize when guys have fun.

The normal weekly races are much "easier" because we concentrate on one combo instead of 4. We will continue to host our official races Wednesdays with some unofficial events on Saturday plus we plan to organize something special one weekend a month. It won't always be a marathon, but it will be something different each month until we run out of ideas.

We have two or three more events already in the planning stages, but if anyone has suggestion feel free to put them in the online suggestions thread. Not every special event has to be tied to an offline combo. In fact the next one isn't, but that's all I'm allowed to say. :sly: look for a new special event thread in the next week or two.

Thankyou for all the work you do for these online races Tim.

I had to bow out of the final race due to lack of sleep, think I was going on about 30 hours by then. Had fun in all the races, Spa and Trial Mountain in particular.

Edit: Just noticed on the Spa results I have 2 pitstops recorded where I took 3 (lap 8,14,20) :D

Congrats on the Win at Laguna Wes 👍

Bummer I had my game freeze on me, for a event I didn't plan on running, it was turning into an....interesting race.

I figured starting at the back wouldn't be too bad, as I didn't run any practice here, except for the 3 laps I ran before Quali, so it was more about a fun drive than an overly competitive one.
However, by lap 3 or so I was in third place, and soon after, I found myself in second sandwiched between Pekka and Wes :nervous:
It was odd because I didn't have to pass anyone (in a racing way) to get there. Just pass them when they spin / go off track - got everyone that way except Wes, - but he was close too.
The problem was, I was considerably slower than both so 'racing' with them was out of the question, and after Wes recovered from an off, he wound up right in front of me, and Pekka right behind. :nervous:
So I basically Blue Flagged myself (On lead lap - in 2nd place :lol:) and told Pekka I'd let him pass on the straight :D
It looked like a good call, as they tore off and I never saw them again....realistically, it was the only call ;)

I was really trying to prove my entrance messsage wrong ("Slow N Steady rarely works") by finishing on the podium driving slow n steady.
It was going well (no spins, only 1 off, but it didn't cost me any time), but by about lap 12-13 or so, someone was in my rearview, and creeping up consistently, but I couldn't tell if it was Ren or not who was in 4th.
Around lap 18-19 I realized it was in fact Ren, so I got ready for a good battle, but on lap 21 as I took the corner after the corkscrew, my game just stopped, and my race was over :(
Next time Ren!

All in all a great day of racing 👍
Thanks for coming out guys, and I hope everyone enjoyed the days events. :cheers:

Back