GTP WTAC Week 12: Take it EASY

• Thread starter Detroitbb
  • 64 comments
GTP WTAC Week 12: Take it EASY

***Just a note: This challenge is dedicated to Easyasashii. I am going to be hosting in his place for a little while so he can focus on his international move. I have no idea if he even likes these cars, I just choose two French cars that we haven't used in a TAC yet***

1. Track : Grand Valley East (reverse)

picture.php

2. Cars : Hommell Berlinette R/S Coupe ‘99 & Renault 5 Turbo ‘80 (both cars are needed for this challenge)

hommellberlinette.jpg
981730andsymbol.jpg
renault5v.jpg

IMPORTANT ! - This is a combined times challenge: you'll need to run with both cars; rankings will be made based on your combined times.

----------------

3. Car specifics:

- Transmission: either
- Tires: S2 / S2
- TCS : at your disposal
- ASM : off
- Active Steering : off
- Driving Physics : Professional

All in-game quick-tune options are at your disposal (Press Triangle when selecting your car to add the car to your favorites and tinker with any available settings).

Hybrid cars, the use of CFW tuning or any other way of cheating (such as the Action Replay for PSP) is forbidden..

--------------------

4. Duration of the challenges : this challenge will start Monday Aug 2nd 4:00 pm GMT+2 and will end Monday Aug 9th 3:59 pm GMT+2 (one week!)

--------------------

5. Time submission :

You'll have to post your Ghost Replay Data + Photo before Monday Aug 9th 3:59 pm GMT+2. If you missed the deadline, your laptimes won't be in the website.

--------------------

6. Rules :

You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) ! Just to remind you :
Clean or Dirty lap :
- Colliding with or using walls, fences, cones or other obstacle is forbidden. All times submitted must be 100% wall free.
- Two wheels (except when airborne, where the vertical projection of the car onto the track counts) must be in contact with the tarmac which does not include all green/grassed/sanded/graveled areas.
Rumble/ripple strips :
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's inside rumble strips and two off track is considered unclean
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's outside rumble strips and two off track is considered clean.

--------------------

7. LeaderBoards

The leaderboards will be on the website

--------------------

Good luck !

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
Wow ! A challenge dedicated to me ! Thanks a lot :sly: !

And I'm very happy to know that you'll be the new WTAC host Detroitbb 👍👍👍 !

I'll try to be here with you guys as much as I can but I might not be as "competitive" as I used to be for a while...

So good luck Detroitbb ! I'm sure you'll do an amazing job !

I'm not as skilled as Easy (who actually chose this track for week 12) when it comes to giving track hints, but here it goes:

This track has been featured in all the major Gran Turismo releases (GT1/GT2/GT3/GT4 - as well at GT PSP).

my guess.....Grand Valley East Reverse :D

You're correct, Lion-Face.

But just to reiterate just how much I suck at track hints, Grand Valley East wasn't even in GT3! I just thought I remembered it being in that version (sorry about the bad hint, Nero). Upon further review this morning, I saw my error - oops!

OK i dont know if this was a good time at all:
I did 10 laps for each car and this was my best record so far:

Hommell Berlinette R/S Coupe '99--1'22.906
Renault 5 Turbo '80-- 1'24.080

I'm a newbie in professional physics mode so please forgive me if I had worst times.
But I wanna learn how to drive it and I guess this might be the proper thread or training
:)

OK i dont know if this was a good time at all:
I did 10 laps for each car and this was my best record so far:

Hommell Berlinette R/S Coupe '99--1'22.906
Renault 5 Turbo '80-- 1'24.080

I'm a newbie in professional physics mode so please forgive me if I had worst times.
But I wanna learn how to drive it and I guess this might be the proper thread or training

Welcome red ice :)

A few tips for the WTAC.

In a combo car week, I would advise running one car for the majority of the week. Pick the hardest car of the two that is on offer, and race that car for a good 4-5 days. Then, using the last day or so of the week, run the other car, you will find it much easier to set a quick time with the 2nd car seeing as you know the track and have a lot of laps under your belt, you can quickly bring the second car up to speed. You will find this a good way of setting more consistent times, rather than jumping between cars every few laps as you don't have to re-learn each car after driving the other.

Basic car setups. Always start with toe = 0/0 (front/rear) and camber = 0/0 (front/rear). The default settings in the game are geared towards understeer, making the car harder to turn in and accel early. And getting either one of these settings wrong can affect top speed/accel down the straights, so its often best to set these to 0 and see how you go from there. My time below was set on the default settings and setting the toe = 0/0.

Be smooth, brake early and straight, accelerate smoothly, tapping the accelerator and be gentle. No sudden movements with the steering. The smoother you are, the faster you will go. Its all about keeping the car in balance and in check.

Practice practice practice. The best times come from knowledge of the car/track more so than setup. A setup can squeeze a small amount of time out of a car, but the majority of faster time comes with track time. The more laps you put in, the better understanding of the car you have and how to take each corner.

After 10laps in the Hommell I have a time of 1:18.695.

A rough lap goes like this...

Turn 1 (fast left) - Brake just before the 50m sign and ease the car into the corner, apex about 145kmph. Let the car run a little wide for the next corner...4th gear

Turn 2 (slower left) - Brake coming out of the last corner and as you enter this one, apexing the corner at about 110kmph. 3rd Gear

Turn 3 (right kink) - Flat out up the hill, stick to the right of the road.

Turn 4 (left into tunnel) - you can take this faster than what it may appear. Just a dab on the brakes, clip the inside curb and keep pulling left. Use the raised curb inside the tunnel to prevent you running too far right and into the wall, move to left of track for next corner. 3rd gear

Turn 5 (tight right hander out of tunnel) - Where the curb opens up inside the tunnel is your braking point. Brake down into 2nd gear and apex this corner at around 75kmph. 2nd gear.
Because I've only done 8 laps, I haven't played around with my line through this corner, although I suspect taking a slower apex and sticking further to the right as you exit this corner will lead to a better lap time overall.

Turn 6 (double apex left - first apex) - Just release the throttle and roll through the apex, get on the power when you can as its full throttle from here on to the hairpin. The earlier the better, but that will depend on your line from the last corner.

Turn 7 (double apex left - second apex) - Full throttle, clip the curb on the inside and ride the car out wide maximizing speed.

Turn 8/9/10 (right flick, fast left, easy right chicane over the hill) - Flat out through here, hug the inside of the first right, bring the car across to clip the apex through the left over the crest, and let the car run wide as you come down the hill through the easy right hander as you rejoin back with Grand Valley Speedway.

Turn 11 (Hairpin) - Braking approx halfway between 100m and 50m sign (roughly where the curb begins on the right side of the road, brake down to around 85kmph and roll around the inside of the corner, keep it tidy, and accel as you near the exit of the corner, do it too soon and you'll be off the track, be patient and you'll get a good run out of the corner and down the main straight. 3rd gear.

As I said, its a rough lap, I've only done 8 laps in the car so it is only the beginning. Take it as a guide to help you get started but don't be afraid to mix it up if you think you have a better way of taking a corner/speed/gear etc. Hope it helps some.

I just printed this page! WOW thanks for the help.
I now know why my cars kept spinning its due to the toe and camber. I've been playing mastering standard physics but professional is a nice switch for me now. I kept wondering how do the guys in Youtube manage to control a bentley speed 8 in pro physics in nurburgring.
Im gonna give it a go. At least now I have your time as a guide. Anything longer then 1'19 is unacceptable. I'm using no aids and no TCS and I'm feeling more confident now I can control a slower car.
Thanks a lot! I'm gonna post my time tomorrow and see If somehow I have improved.

One additional question:
Is it possible to beat a standard phy. lap time using a professional physics settings? Just curious.

Last edited:
If the standard physics time is as fast as that car will allow, and the pro physics time is as fast as the car will allow, then no, the standard time will always be faster, your able to corner faster in standard physics, and general grip all round for accel and braking is much greater.

Thanks a lot sir Lion-Face !!! 👍👍👍

What do you think about opening threads where you give all these very usefull tips ???

I would love to see those two threads (with better titles obviously ;)) :

- L-F GTPSP Tuning approach and combo car/track final tuning
- L-F combo car/track rough lap corner after corner !

:D

Well, let's practice ! I'm already pretty late on this one !!!

Just did first run with cars last night spending most of the running with the Renault as it seems to be the hardest one to get a good lap with. My best times so far are a 1.18.1 in the Renault and a 1.16.8 in the Hommell. The Renault should be capable of a 1.17.9 if only I could nail a perfect lap but cant see me going any faster than that with it. Not sure what sort of time the Hommell is capable of as only ran about 10 laps with it and still getting used to car and track.

Was running with 0/0 toe and camber and the suspension, dampers set to 5 with minimum ride height on both cars with TSC off.

Great track guide Lion-Face I agree that breaking a little earlier for Turn 5 and keeping to the right to get better exit speed for the final section does seem to be quicker overall.

On a side note this is the first track I have raced in gran turismo where the scenery pop-up has been really noticeable. When you exit the last corner one of the mountains in the background suddenly appears and when your are about half way down pit straight the gravel trap and stand for the first corner suddenly appear.

Welcome, red ice!

My only advice to you is a simple one, "Slow in; fast out".

I did five laps with stock settings (my stock settings include zeroing out the toe) and got a 1'20.4xx with the Renault 5 Turbo and a 1'18.8 with the Hommell Berlinette. I'll get a chance to do more laps on Wednesday late afternoon.

So, the division thing is still on? I've still got a replay sitting around. So, I just PM it to Detroitbb?

Welcome, red ice!

My only advice to you is a simple one, "Slow in; fast out".

I did five laps with stock settings (my stock settings include zeroing out the toe) and got a 1'20.4xx with the Renault 5 Turbo and a 1'18.8 with the Hommell Berlinette. I'll get a chance to do more laps on Wednesday late afternoon.

Thanks! Now I got better, 1'18.823 using the Homell default settings-zero TOE. I guess I have to tweak now my settings to gain more cornering grip. I feel like MR cars always has this tendency to make the tail slide out. But sometimes this helps me gain faster time.
Turn 1 and 2: I don't brake at all, I just slide it out and release the gas and use the cars momentum to gain more speed before the tunnel.
I'd like to brake during these turns but it is so tempting to overtake the ghost at this area.
I'd try to slow down more in these turns I hope I get a better time. :)

If the standard physics time is as fast as that car will allow, and the pro physics time is as fast as the car will allow, then no, the standard time will always be faster, your able to corner faster in standard physics, and general grip all round for accel and braking is much greater.

Thanks very much,

Last edited:
Managed to knock another few tenths of times last night but probably nearing my limit now latest times are

Renault - 1.18.141
Hommell - 1.16.582
Combined - 2.34.723

So, the division thing is still on? I've still got a replay sitting around. So, I just PM it to Detroitbb?

That's a good question! Easyasashii was doing the qualifying aspect, and he knows all the times from everybody, but I could (at the very least) watch the replay to make sure it's clean and give Easy the time.

Go ahead and send my your ghost replay file and I'll get the wheels in motion.

👍

I feel like MR cars always has this tendency to make the tail slide out.

I have the same problem. Sometimes I'm able to properly tune my MR car to make it handle well, but most of the time I can't and the car slides around like it is on ice!

hi everyone i ran both cars and so far i have ran in the 1.19.xxx range with both. i still need more practice =) so ill continue working on it later.

I have the same problem. Sometimes I'm able to properly tune my MR car to make it handle well, but most of the time I can't and the car slides around like it is on ice!

I've read that MR cars are fastest on corners due to engine positioning in the car.But more difficult to balance. making the specific gravity of the motor vehicle very near the center. When turning it makes the body slide out because of our POV. I mean wiggle nose and tail with the center being stable.
If using the bumper view, 'psychologically' MR cars will handle better.
But in chase mode its reverse effect.Sort of a FEEL.
In comparison to FR cars which makes the nose stick to inside corners and better tail grip.
:) just would like to share.

Sylar, you're pretty fast man (:scared:) 👍👍👍 !!!

I only was able to run an hour with both cars and have a 1'18.477 (Hommel) and a 1'20.148 (Renault). I might be able to run some laps tonight but not more...

PJ-FFL, yes you can PM both Detroitbb and me ;) !

red ice and rpr101, welcome guys 👍 ! I'm sorry for being late to tell you that...

rpr101, I use bumper view ;) !

Good luck !

Last edited:
Managed to knock another few tenths of times last night but probably nearing my limit now latest times are

Renault - 1.18.141
Hommell - 1.16.582
Combined - 2.34.723

Dude, holy cow. How did you do those times? Did you do those on S3's, or R3's :lol: You're Renault time is faster than my Hommel time!!! You're out of this world.

Just realised that I made a horrible mistake with those times turns out I had S3 tires selected not S2. :banghead:

Really really sorry guys could have sworn I had correct tires selected. Anywhere I did a few laps on the correct tires this time and times are

Renault - 1.18.784
Hommell - 1.17.851
Combined - 2.36.635

The Renault didnt fell that different but Hommell has alot less grip. Attached the replays and photo. Also user the bumper cam view rpr101 would use the cockpit view like in prologue if the PSP screen was a little bigger though.

Again sorry about the mistake.

Attachments

• UCUS98632RPLY-BC6260E9200.zip
    57.1 KB · Views: 7
  • UCUS98632RPLY-BC6260E9201.zip
    57.5 KB · Views: 7
  • photo.zip
    685.6 KB · Views: 7
Back