GTP WTAC Week 14: Top Down Throw Down

• Thread starter Detroitbb
  • 50 comments
GTP WTAC Week 14 : Top Down Throw Down

*** This week we'll have the ability to race with two convertibles. Now, I usually want to choose cars that are new to us all for these challenges. But that might not be the case with these two fine automobiles. Some people may already have these two in their garages - some may not. Either way, at least this isn't a challenge with one of the 144 versions of a Skyline (or MX-5/Miata)! ***

1. Track : New York (reverse)

picture.php

2. Cars : TVR Tamora '02 & Shelby Series One Super Charged '03

img0002c.jpg
img0003jd.jpg

IMPORTANT ! This is a combined times challenge: you'll need to run with both cars; rankings will be made based on your combined times.

----------------

3. Cars specifics:

- Transmission: either
- Tires: S2 / S2
- TCS : at your disposal
- ASM : off
- Active Steering : off
- Driving Physics : Professional

All in-game quick-tune options are at your disposal (Press Triangle when selecting your car to add the car to your favorites and tinker with any available settings).

Hybrid cars, the use of CFW tuning or any other way of cheating (such as the Action Replay for PSP) is forbidden...

--------------------

4. Duration of the challenges : this challenge will start Monday Aug 16th 4:00 pm GMT+2 and will end Monday Aug 23rd 3:59 pm GMT+2 (one week !)

--------------------

5. Time submission :

You'll have to post your Ghost Replay Data + Photo before Monday Aug 23rd 3:59 pm GMT+2. If you miss the deadline, your laptimes won't be in the website.

--------------------

6. Rules :

You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) ! Just to remind you :
Clean or Dirty lap :
- Colliding with or using walls, fences, cones or other obstacle is forbidden. All times submitted must be 100% wall free.
- Two wheels (except when airborne, where the vertical projection of the car onto the track counts) must be in contact with the tarmac which does not include all green/grassed/sanded/graveled areas.
Rumble/ripple strips :
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's inside rumble strips and two off track is considered unclean
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's outside rumble strips and two off track is considered clean.

Do NOT cut corners! This means staying on the inside of the rumble strip around Columbus Circle and all the sharp 90 degree turns after Central Park - at least two tires on the tarmac!

--------------------

7. LeaderBoards

The leaderboards will be on the website

-------------------

8. Current session points leaders:

Place - Competitor - Points

1st #l-llSylar ######l15
small_up_arrow.gif

2nd #-l Lion-Face ###14
small_down_arrow.gif

3rd #l- lFuchur #####12
small_up_arrow.gif

4th #l-l Detroitbb #l##10
small_down_arrow.gif

5th #l-l easyasashii ##9
6th #l- lred ice #####4 #. (tied)
6th #l- lrpr101 ####l#4 lll
small_up_arrow.gif
(tied)
8th #l-l Peter ######3
9th #l-l Awaren ###ll#1

Future Race Notes - I just want to make everyone aware that we'll need to have two moderately expensive cars in our garages for a yet-unannounced race that is a couple of weeks away. Both cars will be needed as it will be a 'combined times challenge'. The two cars are:

• Mazda RX-8 Concept LM Race Car [501 HP/1100 kg] (1,000,000 credits)

• 2000 Ford Falcon XR8 [599 HP/1350 kg] (1,250,000 credits)

Last edited:
NICE CAR selection! though I always have a bad history with the TVR since the original GT. hehe. now is the chance to be in good terms with this manufacturer.

I ran 3 laps with the Shelby Series One Super Charged '03 on default settings except for the TOE set to 0 (I'll call it "Stock-Toe Tuning" or "S-Toe Tuning" next time ) and have a 1'49.306... I love the sound of that car in chase view !!!

Good luck WTACers !

:gtpflag:

Not really raced that much around New York before but it looks like it could be fun trying to keep the car in check around all of those 90 degree corners. Should be good fun but must resist urge to drift. Although with the TVRs reputation that might not be a choice.

RACE NOTE: I just want to make a quick comment about the curbing (rumble/ripple strips)... we are to stay on the inside of them as usual. New York is a slightly different city course than the others (where the walls are usually the boundary). Make sure stay on the left side of the Columbus Circle and on the inside of the multiple 90-degree turns with two tires on/over the tarmac - no short-cutting over the curbs!

Hmm, nice cars. Gonna give them a go now. I need to get up there in the championship if I want to be a challenge.

RACE NOTE: I just want to make a quick comment about the curbing (rumble/ripple strips)... we are to stay on the inside of them as usual. New York is a slightly different city course than the others (where the walls are usually the boundary). Make sure stay on the left side of the Columbus Circle and on the inside of the multiple 90-degree turns with two tires on/over the tarmac - no short-cutting over the curbs!

thanks for clearing it up

RJS
Can I participate??

join in! im also new here. this is just my 3rd WTAC event.

Last edited:
RJS
Can I participate??

Of course you may! Just make sure to submit your ghost replay and photo (please refer to the rules; and ask one of us if you have further questions) before the deadline.

The more competitors, the merrier the competition becomes!

👍

Did some laps with the Shelby, and I got in a 1:48.0xx. By the time this challenge is over, I think i'll be deep into the 1:47's.

:(
did 20 laps each.TVR is way harder to control.
1'50.566 and 1'50.453 respectively, TVR and Shelby
im really struggling with the TVR.
btw, one question...
do each of us need to check each other replays for this week? because every corner has shortcut opportunities. Sometimes its just hard to see whether or not 2 outside tires are still in contact with the track

Yeah, the TVR is hard to control, but my fastest without tuning, a very messy lap, is a 1:49.xxx. I think the TVR will be faster than the Shelby here.

very ironic whenever I race these 2 cars:
in straights the TVR can get 1second lead on shelby but when the 90degress start, the shelby overtakes!

I'm gunna have to give the TVR a go! Sounds like a lot of fun!

So far down to 1:46.437 in the Shelby, but have only done races vs AI so haven't started to run Time Trials yet. My fastest time on the default settings was a 1:48.1xx.

hi friends

thanks detroittb for clearing up the rules. (a little late)

i think the shelby is faster. :mischievous:

make shure you use the right tires

good luck

btw, one question...
do each of us need to check each other replays for this week? because every corner has shortcut opportunities. Sometimes its just hard to see whether or not 2 outside tires are still in contact with the track

I encourage everyone to view any replays - if only to get a new perspective on racing lines/techniques.

Every replay will be reviewed. I'm taking care of all the arrangements for that. You guys just need to race and make it clean! Oh... and have fun too!

:)

just to be shure... This is a "versus" or "combined" car time challenge?

Sorry it is writen clearly in first post... i'm just blind :)

Last edited:
Didnt get a chance to really do any runs until the middle of the week but best times I have so far are around

TVR - 1.48.37x
Shelby - 1.47.26x
Combined - 2.35.64x

It feels like I have reached my limit with the cars though the TVR especiallly as although its deinitely capable of lapping a few tenths faster I just cant keep the wheelspin and the rear of the car under control enough to get good enough traction out of the corners to improve.

Here are my setups for both cars.

TVR
Ride Height -12/-9
Springs 9/9
Damper 7/6
Toe -0.05/-0.10
Camber 2.6/1.8

Shelby
Ride Height -11/-11
Springs 6/6
Damper 4/4
Toe -0.00/-0.10
Camber 2.6/1.8

Currently in the 1:47.4xx with the TVR and the 1:46.3xx in the Shelby. I expect by deadline I'll be in the 46's with the TVR and 45's with the Shelby.

I'll have a go at this one too

So far I managed a 1'48.9xx in the Shelby and the same in the TVR but I hope I can improve those a little bit!

Just to clear something up - when you say 2 tires on the tarmac does that include the red&white rumble strips? eg. at columbus 2 tires on the red&white rumbles and 2 on the light grey concrete/hatched area is clean, or does it have to be 2 on the tarmac and 2 on the rumbles?

Cheers

No it doesn't include the rumble strips, depending on the part of the corner you are in...

Outside of corner, you can have 2 wheels off the tarmac/designated course and 2 wheels on the rumble strip and it is clean.

Inside of corner you can have two wheels off the tarmac/designated course but 2 wheels must remain on the tarmac/designated course. If two wheels are off the course and 2 wheels are on the inside rumble strip, it is considered dirty/illegal.

Below is a link to a few pics in a .rar file in a previous Time Attack Challenge. This is where I ran my tires off the road and on the rumble strip, dq'ing my lap. It better highlights what is ok and not ok. On inside of corner, no no. On outside of corner, fine.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=127899&page=2#post3887097

Welcome, sausages! We're glad to have you join!

:)

-------------------

I improved (and it was super-tough with the TVR)...

TVR Tamora: 1'47.691

Shelby Series One: 1'47.217

combined time: 3'34.908

Last edited:
Back