GTP WTAC Week 16: Four-Door Sleepers?

• Thread starter Detroitbb
  • 47 comments
GTP WTAC Week 16 : Four-Door Sleepers?

*** Sedan. Berline. Saloon. Belina. Whatever you call them... they are still 4-door grocery haulers. One thinks of families first in regards to this type of automobile, not performance. But performance can be had and if it's wrapped in a deceivingly understated body, one could classify it as a 'sleeper'. Are these sleepers? Maybe. The Carlton barely has any visible cues as to the power under it's hood (flared fenders; low-profile spoiler). The Tom's X540 looks a bit more aggressive with it's bodykit, but neither are overly flashy. If you're looking test these two cars out, I highly suggest Nurburgring. That won't be the track for this challenge, but it certainly does allow you to realize each car's true potential. ***

1. Track : Trial Mountain (reverse)

picture.php

2. Cars : Lotus Carlton '90 & Tom's X540 Chaser '00

img0000b.jpg
img0008fh.jpg

IMPORTANT ! This is a combined times challenge: you'll need to run with both cars; rankings will be made based on your combined times.

----------------

3. Cars specifics:

- Transmission: either
- Tires: S2 / S2
- TCS : at your disposal
- ASM : off
- Active Steering : off
- Driving Physics : Professional

All in-game quick-tune options are at your disposal (Press Triangle when selecting your car to add the car to your favorites and tinker with any available settings).

Hybrid cars, the use of CFW tuning or any other way of cheating (such as the Action Replay for PSP) is forbidden...

--------------------

4. Duration of the challenges : this challenge will start Monday Aug. 30th 4:00 pm GMT+2 and will end Monday Sept. 6th 3:59 pm GMT+2 (one week !)

--------------------

5. Time submission :

You'll have to post your Ghost Replay Data + Photo before Monday Sept. 6th 3:59 pm GMT+2. If you miss the deadline, your laptimes won't be in the website.

--------------------

6. Rules :

You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) ! Just to remind you :
Clean or Dirty lap :
- Colliding with or using walls, fences, cones or other obstacle is forbidden. All times submitted must be 100% wall free.
- Two wheels (except when airborne, where the vertical projection of the car onto the track counts) must be in contact with the tarmac which does not include all green/grassed/sanded/graveled areas.
Rumble/ripple strips :
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's inside rumble strips and two off track is considered unclean
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's outside rumble strips and two off track is considered clean.

--------------------

7. LeaderBoards

The leaderboards will be on the website

-------------------

8. Current session points leaders:

Place - Competitor - Points

1st #l-llLion-Face###.l29
2nd #-l Sylar ######l28
3rd #l- lFuchur #####24
4th #l- lred ice #####11
small_up_arrow.gif
(tied for 4th)
4th #l-l Detroitbb #l##11 #l (tied for 4th)
6th #l- lrpr101 ####l#9 .
small_up_arrow.gif
(tied for 6th)
6th #l-l easyasashii ##9 .
small_down_arrow.gif
(tied for 6th)
8th #l- lsausages###lll6 ll
small_down_arrow.gif

9th #l-l Peter ######4 .ll
small_down_arrow.gif

10th .-l Awaren ###ll#1 ##ll(tied)
10th .-l RJS ######llll1 ##ll(tied)

Last edited:
hmmm, i just chanced upon the carlton on the dealerships. Bought it and now taking it out for a spin. Any hints as to what will be the track?

AW!!! reverse! I never had that much experience with the reverse direction but trial mountain is one of my favorites! i hope i get good times for this week.

Question: flying through 13 and 12, can you take all wheels off the ground? In some cars, you can fly off the corner, without hitting the wall. Im not sure about these saloons taking off.

Question: flying through 13 and 12, can you take all wheels off the ground? In some cars, you can fly off the corner, without hitting the wall. Im not sure about these saloons taking off.

I'm sure it's possible to do so... and I don't care if someone's car gets airborne so long as their car is over the tarmac and not the grass/dirt/rumble strips. But I don't think it's possible to catch air at the first turn without going off-course (for this competition).

I should also point out that we can use all the paved surfaces. So, for instance, before and after the first two turns (A and B in the reverse direction; or 13 and 12 for the forward direction), there are white strips, but a lot of tarmac before the wall. We can go right up to the wall (as long as we don't hit it!)... and there are also areas with the yellow stripes - I'll allow all drivers to use these areas too:

img0004pl.jpg

Well, i'll keep that in mind. Can't wait to fly (with all wheels on the ground) through the corners 3, 2 and 1 flat out!

Thanks for clearing it up detroitbb.

hmm, I'm actually thinking if it really is possible to let the carlton fly on the final corners. I don't think it has the speed enough for the jump. And professional physics will end up spinning the car.

But then again that's just me.

Any times that people would like to share? I have both cars in the low 1'42.xxx range.

The Lotus-tuned Vauxhall Carlton (aka Opel Omega in mainland Europe) is very touchy. I have to feather (tap-tap-tap) the gas around turns to keep from spinning out. The Tom's-tuned Toyota Chaser feels as sure-footed as a mountain goat and is very stable around all the turns. I feel like I'm in total control of the Chaser; the Carlton feels like I am barely holding on and, at any moment, it'll spin out of control and crash in spectacular fashion.

I think the Lotus Carlton has the potential to be faster on this course, but the Tom's X540 Chaser turns in much more consistent laps.

Thread seems unusually quiet this week I didn't get a chance to do any runs until last night as this weeks been quite hectic but best times were

Lotus - 1.42.095
Tom's X540 - 1.42.173

Agree Detroitbb the Lotus is very twitchy you really do have to constantly tap accelerator to get best drive out of corners and keep the rear in check. In comparison the X540 feels planted to the rood although feels like it lacks raw straight line speed of Lotus it should be faster in the corners. Will be interesting to see which one turns out to be fastest.

I've been Quite busy with work this week and I hope I get more track time.
After 5 laps each and stock tunings all I got was 1'45.xxx on both cars. Very very slow on corners due to the carlton always oversteering and seems on auto-target on inside turns whenever I turn during 2nd gear.

I broke into the 1'41 range with both cars last night. Currently I am faster with the Tom's X540 Chaser, but I was faster with the Lotus Carlton yesterday.

Ouch !!! I'm all rusty !!! Best of 10 laps with the Carlton : 1'42.766... with TCS 1...

I really don't have the time to play but I'm watching you guys and wanted to say hello so ran few laps ! I'm sorry I still haven't got the time to run the Chaser and I'm afraid I won't have enough time to play before deadline... I'll try but...

Good luck guys and great combo Detroitbb ;) !!!

Ouch !!! I'm all rusty !!! Best of 10 laps with the Carlton : 1'42.766... with TCS 1...

I really don't have the time to play but I'm watching you guys and wanted to say hello so ran few laps ! I'm sorry I still haven't got the time to run the Chaser and I'm afraid I won't have enough time to play before deadline... I'll try but...

Good luck guys and great combo Detroitbb ;) !!!

In all honesty, a 1'42 with the Carlton in ten laps is pretty good! It's a tough car to handle when it's not going straight.

Good to have you pop in from time to time, Easy... don't be a stranger!

:)

Those are some great laps! I wish they were spelling mistakes, making the '4' into '5' . I've fully found both car's potential and i'm only getting 1'43.XXX and 1'44.XXX!

Any help?

P.S: This week, i should have the ghost replay data, so i can legally qualify.

Any help?

P.S: This week, i should have the ghost replay data, so i can legally qualify.

The key to the Carlton is feathering the throttle/gas/accelerator (tap-tap-tap) whenever you are turning (even a little bit). That way, you still retain some grip between the course and your tires. Also, I have quite a bit of trouble with the rear-end sliding out way too easily. I'm sure everybody is having the same issue with that car. I wanted to increase oversteer, so I simply gave my rear toe a setting between -30 and -40. It seemed to help, but I'm sure I could have given my car oversteer via tuning the spring and damper settings - but I don't know how to do that exactly.

The Tom's X540 Chaser seems pretty well balanced, so I zeroed out the toe settings (like I usually do). I just tried to adjust the springs and damper to take all the elevation changes without losing grip (this seems even more important in the Carlton). I haven't really found a setting that seems 'dialed in' yet. Maybe someone here can chime in on how to best absorb all the bumps. I've put the damper as low as 1 and as high as 10 and have gotten good times with each, so I'm not sure what would be best.

It'll be nice to have both you and I qualify for this challenge!

👍

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I'll do my best to get the most from the cars. In my view, sector 3 is where it could be won or lost. That's where the cars would reveal their true potential.

For me, turn F is pretty important... and of course, the last three - L, M, and N.

---------------------

I was able, through sheer force of will (or nearly two hours of constant practice), to knock three tenths off my time for the Lotus Carlton. I also had a heart-attack run with the Chaser. I say 'heart attack' because I barely stayed inbounds for the last two turns... but it's clean. I watched it five times (three from the back; twice from the front) and had mini-heart attacks while viewing each replay! Ha ha ha!

wow thanks for the tips. I hope I can run laps today and tomorrow. or else Im Bust. Ill be at the bottom of the pack for this week

I didn't even try the Chaser last night, but I did trim another two-tenths off my Carlton time. Hopefully, I'll reduce my time by at least a tenth tonight (fingers crossed!).

Got a chance to do some more running today new times are 1.41.508 in the Lotus and a 1.41.065 in the x540. I still can't find a set-up for Lotus that i am happy with though. The car feels like its constantly on edge.

I still can't find a set-up for Lotus that i am happy with though. The car feels like its constantly on edge.

I totally understand. I'm convinced that one doesn't actually drive the Carlton - you just make suggestions to the car and hope for the best!

:scared:

Got the chance to run 5 laps for each car last night.
Fortunately I was able to improve my times.
both now on 1'44.xxx range

worlds apart from detroitbb and sylar.
:(

I have set a final time around the 1'44 mark. I'm having trouble on sector 3, since i usually restart the lap if i get it wrong on s1 and 2. This means i dont have much knowledge, as in the racing line, in s3.

Couldn't improve on previous times. On a few of the runs I was about .3 of a second up on my time in the x540 but was always slower than previous best time through the final sector.

Lotus - 1.41.508
x540 - 1.41.065
Total - 3.22.573

Attachments

• UCUS98632RPLY-B9E451EC400.zip
    58.1 KB · Views: 4
  • UCUS98632RPLY-B9E451EC408.zip
    58.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Pictures.zip
    893.2 KB · Views: 3
Got the chance to run 5 laps for each car last night.
Fortunately I was able to improve my times.
both now on 1'44.xxx range

worlds apart from detroitbb and sylar.
:(

Honestly, I put in a mammoth effort into this challenge as I've had two bad weeks in a row (1 point over the course of two challenges). I think it's safe to say that I invested about 2 or 3 hours each night into this one. I needed to improve and hopefully have done that.

I have set a final time around the 1'44 mark. I'm having trouble on sector 3, since i usually restart the lap if i get it wrong on s1 and 2. This means i dont have much knowledge, as in the racing line, in s3.

I know what you're saying... out of every 20 tries, I restart about 18 times after the first chicane. That makes the later sections of the course even more intense and unknown. If I end up actually finishing a lap, I watch the replay to chill out, rest my thumbs, and try to analyze my racing lines.

Good to see you have your photos and ghost replays - now I just need to follow suit and remember to post mine!

👍

Changes from last night:

1) Tom's X540 Chaser - Small improvement (roughly 0.060 seconds). I was hoping for better than that. A bit disappointed with my performance, but my time is still good and the lap is clean. Still debating whether or not to try a bit more because I still feel like there is more time that I'm leaving out on the course.

2) Lotus Carlton - Major improvement... and totally unexpected. I thought I'd maybe knock a tenth off, but I erased about half a second! Unlike the Chaser, I don't think I can realistically do any better (without potentially bursting a vein in my neck or forehead). Last night's time will be my final submission.

Back