GTP WTAC Week 17: 1.3-liter Mazda Renesis vs. 5.0-liter Ford Windsor SVO V8

• Thread starter Detroitbb
  • 57 comments
GTP WTAC Week 17: 1.3-liter Mazda Renesis vs. 5.0-liter Ford Windsor SVO V8

*** Aside from the uninspired challenge name for this week, the event should be exciting. The Mazda is sporting the old 787B colors and the Ford (aka Tickford) is in full V8 Supercars race regalia. Both vehicles have ample HP and plenty of downforce to help harness all those horses. Speed should be in full effect for this challenge - just remember that when we race a Daihatsu Midget and a Honda Life Step van (just kidding!). ***

1. Track : Circuit de la Sarthe I (the newer version with the two chicanes on the Mulsanne Straight)

picture.php

2. Cars : Mazda RX-8 Concept LM Race Car & 2000 Ford Falcon XR8

mazdarx8conceptlmraceca.jpg
falconcg.jpg

IMPORTANT ! This is a combined times challenge: you'll need to run with both cars; rankings will be made based on your combined times.

----------------

3. Cars specifics:

- Transmission: either
- Tires: R1 / R1
- TCS : at your disposal
- ASM : off
- Active Steering : off
- Driving Physics : Professional

All in-game quick-tune options are at your disposal (Press Triangle when selecting your car to add the car to your favorites and tinker with any available settings).

Hybrid cars, the use of CFW tuning or any other way of cheating (such as the Action Replay for PSP) is forbidden...

--------------------

4. Duration of the challenges : this challenge will start Monday Sept. 6th 4:00 pm GMT+2 and will end Monday Sept. 13th 3:59 pm GMT+2 (one week !)

--------------------

5. Time submission :

You'll have to post your Ghost Replay Data + Photo before Monday Sept. 13th 3:59 pm GMT+2. If you miss the deadline, your laptimes won't be in the website.

--------------------

6. Rules :

You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) ! Just to remind you :
Clean or Dirty lap :
- Colliding with or using walls, fences, cones or other obstacle is forbidden. All times submitted must be 100% wall free.
- Two wheels (except when airborne, where the vertical projection of the car onto the track counts) must be in contact with the tarmac which does not include all green/grassed/sanded/graveled areas.
Rumble/ripple strips :
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's inside rumble strips and two off track is considered unclean
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's outside rumble strips and two off track is considered clean.

--------------------

7. LeaderBoards

The leaderboards will be on the website

-------------------

8. Current session points leaders:

Place - Competitor - Points

1st #l-llLion-Face###.l36
2nd #-l Sylar ######l34
3rd #l- lFuchur #####28
4th #l- lDetroitbb ###l19
5th #l-l easyasashii ##14 .l
small_up_arrow.gif

6th #l- lred ice #####12 l
small_down_arrow.gif

7th #l-l rpr101#####.l11 l
small_down_arrow.gif

8th #l- lsausages###llll6 ll
9th #l-l Peter ######l4 .ll
10th .-l Dan360 ####lll3 .ll
11th .-l Awaren ###lll#1 #l(tied)
11th .-l RJS ######lllll1 #l(tied)

Last edited:
Question: Can you go on the purple tarmac on the chicanes? This is between the kerbs, as well as next to the grass or sand.

Question: Can you go on the purple tarmac on the chicanes? This is between the kerbs, as well as next to the grass or sand.

No, this will be considered 'out of bounds'. Also, there is a similar section just before the Mulsanne Straight has also has the different colored pavement - don't go there either.

I will allow people to go up right to the wall (but don't 'spark'!) along the Mulsanne straight... though you don't really want to do that as it is actually slower than running the the middle of the track.

Thanks for clearing that up. A first clean run from me was just under 4 minutes in both cars. For a reference, the Mazda is more skiddy and loose, although this will help on the 's' curves, including Porsche corner. The Ford is very stiff, so it is important that you find the racing line. It will accelerate faster, so expect as much as 195 mph down Mulsanne, even with the chicanes. I hope this helps.

Hi guys !

I ran 5 laps with each car and here are the best of them :

Ford : 3'57.589
Mazda : 3'57.791

All off, L-F tuning.

If by any chance you were way slower than that don't freak out, I barely knew this track before a bunch of us decided to run the 2005 24hours race, and then I spent HOURS on that track !!! So I'm lucky enough to have all the automatisms coming back ! Still one week to go for you, I'll have to wait till sunday to be able to run -I might try to run some time to time though - !

Here are some pieces of advice if I may :
- downshifting to 2nd gear will cost you precious time... I usually never downshift to 2nd gear here...
- you should start with the Mazda, the Ford is safer to "push" and seems to have more grip
- don't jeopardize a clean lap by trying something new ! BUT try everything when it is already a dirty lap -just make sure not to run a faster and dirty laps though...-
- patience and practice... and luck ;) !

I might be wrong but I would say the Ford will be around/under 3'55 and should be the fastest... But it is still too early to be sure and it depends on the driver !

Good luck at La Sarthe, in France ;) !!!

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
Oh my. I just had a 4'10.xxx time with the Ford. I guess I have to know the track more and not slow down too much. :(
QUESTION:
I just noticed my car emits smoke even when im full throttle along mulsanne straight. My car is set to lowest ride height and randomly when I step on both sides outside the 2 way lanes. The tires emit smoke. Is it possible my tires are hitting the body of the car?? Or is it the material of the asphalt outside these 2 lanes are of different property. making the tires smoke?\

thanks easyasashii for the tips.

This is my first WTAC using R1/R1 tires and I'm just happy the car is getting more grip than my previous races.
:)

Last edited:
You're welcome ;) !

I will allow people to go up right to the wall (but don't 'spark'!) along the Mulsanne straight... though you don't really want to do that as it is actually slower than running the the middle of the track.

QUESTION:
I just noticed my car emits smoke even when im full throttle along mulsanne straight. My car is set to lowest ride height and randomly when I step on both sides outside the 2 way lanes. The tires emit smoke. Is it possible my tires are hitting the body of the car?? Or is it the material of the asphalt outside these 2 lanes are of different property. making the tires smoke?

The road is dirty there, the smoke is due to the dirt, that's why Detroitbb said it is actually slower running there than running in the middle and with dirty tires you might lose grip in each Mulsane chicane's entry...

About having your car slammed all the way down in terms of ride height... the road is very bumpy, there are chicanes, sharp corners... Consequently you may need to give your car more suspension travel -> not the lowest and not too stiff spring / damper...

Here is the very helpful L-F tuning for who might wonder :

Before you read on. I don't believe I'm the best, I'm not the best at setting up a car and I'm always learning. I believe you get better by practice and through experience. This is just a guide to give those interested some direction and help, a look at things from a different perspective, take from it what you will but don't take it as the be all and end all of how to drive/setup your car

[...]

My setup thought process.

I always set Toe to 0/0 and Camber to 0/0. If possible, MAX/MAX on Aero and Half the numbers on Spring Rate and Damper. Ride Height set at 0/0. This is my default settings that I will start to put laps down on to make a serious attempt at a time.

I don't believe in changing them till at least 50laps in. 50Laps you should have a good feeling for the car and the track and know the basic ins and outs of each. From there I can start to tweak the car one setting at a time.

[...]

Hope this helps someone, and good luck to everyone competing!

Thanks again sir Lion-Face :bowdown: ! (source)

And here is the L-F tuning ! I love this tuning approach and I hope this will help you guys too !

Good luck !

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
Awesome thanks. Wow!! Polyphony Digital even thought of making those parts in Mulsanne Straight dirty. I didn't expect that answer. I just thought it was typical asphalt.
Assuming on real life 24hours LE MANS....cars use the 2 lanes then dust will really accumulate on the sides. This small detail impresses me even more.

While taking pictures last night with GT4, I noticed one of the cars was bottoming out a lot (w/ default settings) along the Mulsanne Straight. I went to my son's PSP and lowered both cars all the way and ran one lap each. No sparks on the PSP version, but I don't know whether the car is actually bottoming out or not. It makes it harder to properly set my ride height/spring rate if the PSP version doesn't show sparks from the undercarriage scraping the tarmac.

I ran five laps with each car and was able to achieve times in the low 3'58.xxx range.

The Mazda is a beast! I highly suggest turning on the volume to full. The RX-8 really excels on all 's' corners, whereas it lacks 5mph down Mulsanne. Last night, I spent 2 hours with the Ford, achieving a 3'57.XXX. It's the Mazda today, so i'll see on what i can do.

Detroitbb, I have a 3'56.985 with the Mazda, clean from chase view, but I have this from front view :

5e5pmv.png

9uwubl.png

1z1e2w5.png

abtlrs.png

and out

142ctpd.png

What do you say ? Clean or dirty ???

EDIT : video ovh link

Last edited:
Easy - that's clean.

In order for me to say that it's 'dirty', I would need to see the whole tire on the rumble strip. In those pictures, it looks like only the inside portion is touching the rumble strip - and the outside part of the tire is on the tarmac.

That's a fast run!

Thanks for the video. I can see why you were worried - it certainly was close. But even moving in real-time, it still looks clean (but very close).

Thanks ! I'll try to submit a cleaner and faster time than that but needed to know if this one was ok because I spent a little bit more than one hour with the Mazda trying to crack this 3'56.xxx and I was so happy !!!.... then I watch the front view ! I knew it was close before watching it -not a good driving line at all by the way- and then I started to worry ...

I'll try to do better before deadline but I have to admit it is very hard for me, always messing up one corner... I think I should be able to be in the low 3'56 with her but not sure I will !

Where are you at guys ?

Honestly, easy... I think you should just submit that time. If you go any faster, there is no way I'll be able to catch up!

he he he

I have a feeling that I will be close to the back of the field this week as before Monday I had done less than 5 laps in total on track. Spent most of Monday night running the Mazda trying to learn the track often spending more time off it than on it. Times were well above 4 minute mark first few laps were even in the 4.06 - 4.10 range.

Last night as was becoming more familiar with track finally managed to break 4 minute barrier however was having real trouble getting a good lap which was clean. I would always end up cutting inside of corner or running too wide off track onto the tarmac especially at corner at th beginning of Mulsanne straight. Also when I did manage to get a clean lap I would always make a mistake in the last section of the lap beginning at the end of the Mulsanne straight and have to restart the lap. Lost count of the number of times I have missed braking point at final 90 degree corners here.:banghead:

Finally on one of my final laps last night managed to do a clean lap of 3.57.838. Not sure how much faster I will be able to go doubt I will break into the 3.56xx as the lap is so long that on my best runes I still average 3-4 minor mistakes on each lap.

Not done any runs with the Ford yet will probably try some laps tonight. Using standard L-F tunning only change made was to add some positive toe to the front of the car to add some understeer. Car might not be as ultimately fast with this but I with zero toe I often ended up turning in too quickly and cutting inside of corner.

Here is my breaking point if it can help...

Thanks looking your braking point and driving line in the corners is better than the one I was using. I was taking too much of the right kerb on entry and was braking too late for corner which was comprising my exit. You are able to get a much better exit from corner which is more important for the straight. Also making mistake of down shifting to second rather than staying in third. Will try new line tonight. Thanks.

I got a time of 3.57.4xx with the Ford Falcon and 3'57.8xx with the Mazda RX-8.

Like Sylar, I'm not too familiar with the track - though I have run it (and the 'old' configuration) about 20-25 times in total.

If I can somewhat clean up my lines just before the straights (Tertre Rough, Mulsanne, Arnage, and both chicanes), I might be able to break into the high 3'56 range with the Ford and the low 3'57s with the Mazda - but that's a big 'if'.

Yesterday it was the Mazda's turn. It is quite good around the corners, but it spins out too much. A clean lap gave a 3'58. I need more practice with the Mazda, and i haven't found a good set-up yet.

Mazda : 3'56.042, I'll stop only when I have a 3'55.xxx with her !

Still with L-F Tuning and no 2nd gear...

Good luck !

Is it OK to get all four wheels on the kerb? I have done this on the first chicane, and no wheels hit the sand.

Is it OK to get all four wheels on the kerb? I have done this on the first chicane, and no wheels hit the sand.

As a general rule, no.

But the rules do stipulate that you can in certain cases (outside rumble strips):

"Rumble/ripple strips :
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's inside rumble strips and two off track is considered unclean
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's outside rumble strips and two off track is considered clean."

Back