GTP WTAC Week 17: 1.3-liter Mazda Renesis vs. 5.0-liter Ford Windsor SVO V8

• Thread starter Detroitbb
  • 57 comments
Did first runs with Ford last night and managed to improve on my previous best time with the Mazda. New times are

Mazda - 3.56.927
Ford - 3.54.463

Just curious if anyone is cutting the final chicanes to get a faster run onto their clean lap?
Purple tarmac there, which is a no-go zone. My times have lost a second, since I didn't know that going on the big kurbs would be considered unclean. All i have to do now is find a new racing line. I am hoping to get a clean 3'57.

*EDIT*

I know what you mean now. I do this, so I can get a good start.

Last edited:
Just curious if anyone is cutting the final chicanes to get a faster run onto their clean lap?

Are you asking whether or not people do it at the end of their lap or at the beginning of the first one (that is just a lead-in and doesn't actually count as the clock isn't running yet)?

My son came over yesterday afternoon and picked up his PSP. I'll be able to lay down some rubber on the tarmac on Friday evening when he returns.

I think it's safe to assume that I won't be repeating my performance last week!

No, everyone in the GTPSP forums made TAC what it is today. I just tried to get people interested in doing events weekly and such. Hopefully, i'll see you guys on GT5 :)

EDIT :Deleted because I missed this comment :

Are you asking whether or not people do it at the end of their lap or at the beginning of the first one (that is just a lead-in and doesn't actually count as the clock isn't running yet)?

So does it mean it is ok to cut the chicane before a clean lap in order to have a great lead in ? I mean, 'restart', cut, new lap begins, and ends clean, ok or not ?

No, everyone in the GTPSP forums made TAC what it is today. I just tried to get people interested in doing events weekly and such. Hopefully, i'll see you guys on GT5 :)

You'll see us way ahead of you :mischievous: :D ! Just kidding but we sure improved and still improving !!! I don't know how I'll run : from PSP to PS3... and I'll play with the pad at the very beginning so... but you'll see me ;) !

And we could think about having our own saloon/server/team...

Last edited:

Attachments

• Sarthe New - Ford Falcon XR8.zip
    56.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Sarthe New - Mazda RX-8 LM Car.zip
    56.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
So does it mean it is ok to cut the chicane before a clean lap in order to have a great lead in ? I mean, 'restart', cut, new lap begins, and ends clean, ok or not ?

We've never had to deal with this before. In most of the other challenges, a racer needed to complete a full lap to get up to speed when you crossed the starting line.

When my son picked his PSP back up on Tuesday afternoon, he did a few laps against my ghost and I noticed him getting a full car length lead at the start - it seems he was cutting the final chicane in order to carry more speed for the beginning of a new lap. Technically, it's not part of any clean lap (it's part of the previous 'dirty' lap). And I don't know how I'd enforce it if we were to disallow that tactic - the replay only begins at the start of the clock (so we couldn't see it). On the other hand, it's not in the spirit of the race/competition.

This is a tough call to make. Without having direct evidence in the replay files, I might have to make a call on circumstantial evidence (without direct factual proof). I would hate to unfairly dismiss a racer's time because I thought that they might have done something wrong.

What do you guys think? Should we not allow it and try to make judgement calls on the replays? Or should we just allow it mainly because of the technicality and the logistical nightmare of trying to enforce the situation? Either way is fine with me - I see 'pros' and 'cons' with each decision.

On a lighter note, my son comes over tonight and I hope to be able to run some laps again. Yay!

here are my thoughts :

Don't bother about it this time ;) ! Maybe next time we have a challenge at La Sarthe or another track where we might have the same situation we should speak about it at the very beginning to avoid being in a delicate situation...

It sure would be better to stay clean all way long, however I have to admit I did the "mistake" to clip a little bit too far the last chicane's last corner too...

I personaly will post a lap with a clean chicane on previous lap, so I now officially have a 3'56.714 with the mazda -didn't really have the time to play more-.

For this challenge, I think the best thing we have to do is to let the driver take his own decision and no further comment should be told on the matter...

So good point : next time we shouldn't have the same problem ;) !

Good luck guys and please note that the most important thing is to post a clean lap, cutting or not the previous chicane is up to you...

That's my point of view...

Last edited:
Hey guys, I know this is a little late, but here are 2 laps around de la Sarthe 2005 in the Mazda showing my racing lines and current best lap. I had intended to put it up earlier to help people with their racing lines/braking points as there was such a disparity between some people in the 3:55's and others above 4 minutes.

Sorry about the quality, I'll be picking up some TV out cables for my PSPGo so recording will be better in the future...

I got a 3'55.998 with the mazda ! That will be my submission time for her. Very close at a bunch of corners !!!

And there might be a way to check if someone actually did cut the last chicane -for the future ;)- : left building shadow could be the limit because I found out that I usually am at 202-3-4 km/h when the shadow starts and it looks like L-F too... So anyone faster than 205 km/h ... And I usually upshift to 5th gear a little bit earlier.

From now on I'll run the Ford ! Good luck guys !

EDIT : 3'55.998 with L-F tuning...

EDIT 2 : Awesome laps Lion-Face !!!In the last section I used to downshift to 4th when you stay in 5th, get you an early 6th before downshifting to 4th where I downshift to 3rd at the first of the last chicane... And 3'55.144 3'54.075... I might have to give the mazda another shot ! Great job L-F and thanks for sharing 👍 !

Last edited:
As I don't know if I will have the time to play and post later, here is my submission :

Mazda RX-8 Concept LM Race Car : 3'55.998 (I don't think I'd be able to go faster than that !)

2yulttd.jpg

2000 Ford Falcon XR8 : 3'56.920 3'55.197

ap9x0w.jpg

total : 7'52.918 7'51.195

See you next challenge !

Attachments

• UCES01245RPLY-BB4E9A06C03.rar
    57.2 KB · Views: 5
  • UCES01245RPLY-BB4E9A06C04.rar
    57.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Not able to improve on my previous best times as any lap I was a few tenths up on I always ended up making a mistake or running wide onto the tarmac 2-3 minutes into the lap

Mazda - 3.56.927
Ford - 3.54.463
Total - 7.51.390

Thanks for the replay Lion-Face amazing car control and a great time of 3'54.075.:bowdown:

Attachments

• UCUS98632RPLY-BB4E9A06C00.zip
    60.3 KB · Views: 5
  • UCUS98632RPLY-BB4E9A06C02.zip
    60.2 KB · Views: 5
I didn't get enough time with these cars (I enjoyed them both) on this course. La Sarthe is pretty fun - I'm going have to have make a habit of revisiting this one in the future (it's a joy to drive here).

Mazda RX-8: 3'56.745

56745.jpg

Ford Falcon: 3'55.893

55893.jpg

combined time: 7'52.638

:)

I should also mention that Easy would have been much faster with the Ford if he could have seen the screen! He would have easily shaven 2 or more seconds off of his time!

Attachments

• UCUS98632RPLY-BB4E9A06C00.zip
    55.9 KB · Views: 4
  • UCUS98632RPLY-BB4E9A06C01.zip
    56.2 KB · Views: 4
Nice screenshots Detroitbb !!!

I should also mention that Easy would have been much faster with the Ford if he could have seen the screen! He would have easily shaven 2 or more seconds off of his time!
;) !
New time for me and the Ford (my eyes are burning !!! No glasses = painful )
3'55.197 which gives me a 7.51.195 total, I'll try to crack the 3'54 before going to bed... (I already updated the previous post with new photo+data)

Sylar, I just passed you... You still have few hours to go !!! Good luck !

Last edited:
my submission for this week:

Mazda RX-8 Concept LM Race Car
Time: 4'04.401
mazdarx8d.png

2000 Ford Falcon XR8
Time: 4'05.703
forldfalcon.png

Combined Time:
8'10.104

I didn't manage to beat the 4min barrier as I saw in sir Lion Face's video.There is a huge difference in driving style particularly the shifting and braking points. I guess I learned a big lesson from you guys. Thanks for this challenge.
:)

Attachments

• UCUS98632RPLY-BB4E9A06C01.rar
    54.3 KB · Views: 5
  • UCUS98632RPLY-BB4E9A06C00.rar
    53.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
here is my submission for this week. im right there with you red ice :sly: i was also unable to go under the 4 min range. you guys are really fast. good job 👍
mazda rx-8 4'02.367
ford falcon xr8 4'01.219

SANY0166.jpg

SANY0167.jpg

Attachments

• rpr101 week17.rar
    107.6 KB · Views: 6
My Submission

2000 Ford Falcon XR8
Pro Physics
R1/R1
No Aids

3:52.989

DSC_0081.jpg

Mazda RX8 Concept LM Race Car
Pro Physics
R1/R1
No Aids

3:53.698

DSC_0083.jpg

Total Time: 7:46.687

Attachments

• WTAC Week 17 Circuit de la Sarthe Replays.zip
    116.3 KB · Views: 8
hi friends i m late today...pics follow soon

Attachments

• UCES01245RPLY-BB4E9A06C03.zip
    57.4 KB · Views: 6
  • UCES01245RPLY-BB4E9A06C09.zip
    57.4 KB · Views: 6
here is my submission for this week. im right there with you red ice :sly: i was also unable to go under the 4 min range. you guys are really fast. good job :tuP

aw!! THIS WEEK you're gonna take the lead from me and I wasn't expecting another WTACer to run 4min plus laptimes!

Last edited:
hey this week was ´nightmare´ for me....

can´t get any clean laps :grumpy: not a bit of luck: i run 5 times 3.56.0xx no clean i run 3.55.3xx with one little damn mistake :banghead:
now i submit this 3.56.886
selqm8.jpg

than no time to run the ford..:grumpy: after 2 hours again no clean lap :ill:
finaly i submit now a 3.57.423
15yt2k6.jpg

overall: 7.54.309 (i don´t edit my submission to make clear it was in time)

total frustration ...i need a rest...

ah..now i see i look week 19 and buy this cars last week...

see you next days

Last edited:
What can I say about Lion-Face's times other than 'wow'? Impressively fast... he was almost five seconds faster than second place! Congratulations, Lion-Face!

Speaking about second, congrats go out to Easyasashii for snagging the silver trophy for this week's challenge. He artfully edged Sylar by a mere two-tenths.

Yet again, red ice and rpr101 are in a tight horserace going neck-and-neck towards the finish line. Last week, red ice had a razor-thin 1 point lead. This week, rpr101 finished one place ahead and gained an extra point. Now, both of them are tied yet again in the overall standings! Given that this is likely the last week of this racing session (unless Lion-Face finishes no higher than 6th and Sylar finishes no higher than 2nd - highly doubtful!), this week will be the deciding factor is this battle. Good luck to the both of you!

Dan360 jumped from 10th into a tie for 8th place with sausages - nice work, Dan!

------------------------------

This week's results:

goldh.png
1st - Lion-Face#. (7'46.687)##lll[8 pts]

silverg.png
2nd - Easyasashiil (7'51.195)###[7 pts]

bronzeo.png
3rd - Sylar ####l (7'51.390)###[6 pts]

4th - Detroitbb #.l (7'52.638)###[5 pts]

5th - Fuchur ###ll (7'54.309)###[4 pts]

6th - Dan360 ###l (7'56.099)###[3 pts]

7th - rpr101 ###lll (8'03.586)###[2 pts]

8th - red ice ###ll (8'10.104)###[1 pt.]

Current session points leaders:

Place - Competitor - Points

1st #l-llLion-Face###.l44
2nd #-l Sylar ######l40
3rd #l- lFuchur #####32
4th #l- lDetroitbb ###l24
5th #l-l easyasashii ##21
6th #l-l rpr101#####.l13 l
small_up_arrow.gif
l(tied for 6th)
6th #l- lred ice #####13##.l(tied for 6th)
8th #l-l Dan360 ####lll6 lll
small_up_arrow.gif
l(tied for 8th)
8th #l- lsausages###llll6 ll##l(tied for 8th)
10th .-l Peter ######l4 .lll
small_down_arrow.gif

11th .-l Awaren ###lll#1 ###(tied)
11th .-l RJS ######lllll1 ###(tied)

See everyone at the Audi Quattro challenge!

Last edited:
Back