GTP WTAC Week 25: Concept Car Challenge presented by red ice

• Thread starter Detroitbb
  • 56 comments
GTP WTAC Week 25 : Concept Car Challenge presented by red ice

*** I had initially thought that I'd give everybody a chance to choose the cars for a week's challenge, but then realized that not everybody would get to race their challenge/cars before GT5 is released... so I decided that everyone can choose one car and that'll give us enough time. I had already told red ice to choose his cars, so he gets his own challenge. I think we can all agree that his perseverance is deserving of this reward! He chose two concept cars for us: the 1988 Chevy Camaro IROC-Z and the 2001 Honda NSX-R. I've driven neither of these cars before, so this will be both interesting and fun! Come join us in this concept car challenge brought to GT Planet by our very own red ice! ***

1. Track : Città Di Aria (forward)

picture.php

2. Cars : Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z Concept ‘88 & Honda NSX-R Concept ‘01

img0000a.jpg
l
img0001ps.jpg

IMPORTANT ! This is a combined times challenge: you'll need to run both cars; rankings will be made based on your combined times.

----------------

3. Cars specifics:

- Transmission: either
- Tires: S2 / S2
- TCS : at your disposal
- ASM : off
- Active Steering : off
- Driving Physics : Professional

All in-game quick-tune options are at your disposal (Press Triangle when selecting your car to add the car to your favorites and tinker with any available settings).

Hybrid cars, the use of CFW tuning or any other way of cheating (such as the Action Replay for PSP) is forbidden...

--------------------

4. Duration of the challenges : this challenge will start Monday Nov. 1st 4:00 pm GMT+2 and will end Monday Nov. 8th 3:59 pm GMT+2 (one week !)

--------------------

5. Time submission :

You'll have to post your Ghost Replay Data + Photo before Monday Nov. 8th 3:59 pm GMT+2. If you miss the deadline, your laptimes won't be in the website.

--------------------

6. Rules :

You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) ! Just to remind you :
Clean or Dirty lap :
- Colliding with or using walls, fences, cones or other obstacle is forbidden. All times submitted must be 100% wall free.
- Two wheels (except when airborne, where the vertical projection of the car onto the track counts) must be in contact with the tarmac which does not include all green/grassed/sanded/graveled areas.
Rumble/ripple strips :
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's inside rumble strips and two off track is considered unclean
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's outside rumble strips and two off track is considered clean.
- NO SPARKS!

--------------------

7. LeaderBoards

The leaderboards will be on the website

-------------------

Last edited:
WOW!!! red ice week! thanks detroitbb!! for the kind words. I'll be looking forward to this. I must admit you guys are fun to race with in every week's WTAC challenge. :)

this is cool....you deserve it and the NSX-R is one of my favorite cars thanks for picking it.

Had no idea that the NSX-R was one of your favorites.Actually I've never driven these two cars. Hope I make good for this challenge considering I always had the hardest time driving MR cars.

Interesting...we have long, 300hp cars, winding through the narrow streets.

Getting collision-free laps will be hard!

Thank you, red ice, for your amazing challenge! 👍👍

Interesting...we have long, 300hp cars, winding through the narrow streets.

Getting collision-free laps will be hard!

Thank you, red ice, for your amazing challenge! 👍👍

Thanks Dan!! I was just about ready to start this challenge and I'm gonna take the NSX concept first coz its rather fast and harder to control.
This is by far the 2nd most difficult track for me next to the Nurburgring.
Good luck to everyone!!

This will be a very technical challenge using two fairly wide, fairly high-horsepower vehicles... all on a very skinny, twisty course!

Thank you, red ice!

I just had two serious sessions :

Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z Concept '88 : 1'49.382
Honda NSX-R Concept '01 : 1'43.408

I'm pretty pleased with these times however I feel like I'm already near my limits with both cars !!! This week will be tough again ! But the NSX, what a fun to drive in there 👍 !! I can't imagine how Lion-Face must feel right now... -he usually drive the Enzo with N1 tires there so a NSX with S2 !!! ;)-

Good luck guys !

Hahaha!! My NSX time was Easy's Camaro's time! LOL!!

Im close to detroitbb's times. I'm slower by 2 seconds at each car.

Just did some running with the stock NSX tonight. Lost count of the number of times I out braked myself and went off at the right left kink and hairpin just before final sequence of corners as all of my previous laps on this track were on the reverse layout in the Focus and 206 WRC cars during our previous WTAC visit.

Once finally got an idea of the forward layout I remembered why I became a fan of the track during that first week its a track with no margin for error or kerbs to run wide on if you make a mistake and the camber and elevation changes really make keeping the NSX in check difficult but when you do finally manage to hook together a good collision free lap its really satisfying and you forget about the previous runs where you noticed a spark when checking the replay or lost it at a corner.

Best time was a 1'45.631 didnt get a chance to try the Camaro yet.

keeping the NSX in check difficult but when you do finally manage to hook together a good collision free lap its really satisfying and you forget about the previous runs where you noticed a spark when checking the replay or lost it at a corner.

That's why I really like Citta di Aria 👍 ! Can be very very very frustrating but once you have a fast and clean lap... heaven !!! However, to get there, we'll have to be patient because faster and unclean laps will be there !!!

(Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z Concept '88 : 1'48.961 -two yellow sparkles unclean :ouch:-)
Honda NSX-R Concept '01 : 1'43.112 -one yellow sparkle unclean :ouch:-
So back to previous times... this week will be veeeeeryyy long...)

Good luck !

Some times from last night:

Chevy Camaro Concept: 1'52.584
Honda NSX-R Concept: 1'44.044

Sadly, these times are unclean. I turned quite early, but too early... Then again, this should be one of my times, come Friday...

This is a tough one!! I thought i had clean laps only to find out that even the slightest of contacts with the walls makes sparks!! Wow! Are they magnetic???? It seems the NSX's body is attracted to it. LOL!!

The 2nd Archway is the most difficult part for me. Upon entry ...the shadow of the villas, s2 tires less grip, right wall magnet and screeching sounds always haunt me.

Hoping to get a clean lap 'til friday.

Last edited:
I just had two serious sessions :

Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z Concept '88 : 1'49.382
Honda NSX-R Concept '01 : 1'43.408

I'm pretty pleased with these times however I feel like I'm already near my limits with both cars !!! This week will be tough again ! But the NSX, what a fun to drive in there 👍 !! I can't imagine how Lion-Face must feel right now... -he usually drive the Enzo with N1 tires there so a NSX with S2 !!! ;)-

Good luck guys !

Quick man. I gave each car about 10 laps last night, the NSX hitting high 1:42's, dirty but will go faster so I wasn't bothered about the sparks at this stage. Finding a setup to keep the rear in check will go a long way in making clean laps easier, as it does seem to enjoy sending the rear of the car towards the walls without much encouragement.

The Chevrolet I only managed a 1:50.xxx. More to come from that one but I'm impressed you have a quick time so early!

I'm going to concentrate on the NSX all week, as it will be the more difficult car to get a fast time through the track. The Chevrolet is much more balanced and shouldn't require as much time to get a decent time as the NSX will.

Quick man. [...] The Chevrolet I only managed a 1:50.xxx. More to come from that one but I'm impressed you have a quick time so early!

Thanks, I had this feeling too, I had very good sessions (Monday 1st was a day-off in France so I spent most of my time running ;)) !!! I was wondering if I should or not post my times, I could have waited mid-week but I wanted to know if they were actually fast or not -tuning needed or not ???-...

But now, I'm also having a very hard time to get faster AND clean... I'm pushing too much !!! But I'll get there before deadline ;) !

For the Camaro's settings, I set springs and dampers to 4, other settings to 0. NSX : default settings except for rear toe, and I have no clue on how to tune her -I spent yesterday's session trying but going nowhere -> I'll focus on running !!!

I'll focus on the Camaro a little bit more because I would like to submit at least a 1'48.5 with it so... I hope to get lucky today !

Good luck guys !

Camaro, a low 1'48 and even a high 1'47 is clearly possible...

However, each time I hit 1'48 (best : 1'48.587), it's an unclean lap... Fastest and clean so far 1'49.129 and I spent one hour and half trying to get this 1'48 clean without success...

Good luck guys and may the patience be with you :gtpflag:

Finally...Clean laps:

Camaro - 1'50.892
NSX-R - 1'43.684

I hope that I can shave a second off the Honda, but I need more practice in sector 2.

EDIT: 1'49.862 In the Chevrolet.

Last edited:
Good work guys!! Very fast times . I'll be having more time to get some laps running later today and friday.Sir L-F , Dan and Easy are getting very impressive results.!!!👍👍👍

1 month, 4 WTACS to go!

Last edited:
I have never participated on any of these events with you guys and I'm rather interested. Can you just explain something please? How do I submit the Ghost Replay Data?

I have never participated on any of these events with you guys and I'm rather interested. Can you just explain something please? How do I submit the Ghost Replay Data?

Hello rofajole!

We'd love to have you join the WTAC!

Regarding your question, you need to obviously need to have saved a ghost in the Time Trial mode. Then you back out to the XMB of the PSP and you can view in under the Saved Data. But to submit it, you'll need to connect your PSP to a computer so you can transfer the file to the desktop. Doing so requires a USB to mini-USB like this one:

images

The PSP shows up like a flash drive or any other device would (Start/Computer/Removable Disk (X:)/). Click on the new device and you'll see your PSP's root directory. You'll see a few folders, but find the one that is simply called 'PSP'. Click on that and find the next folder called 'SAVEDATA'. Click on that one and your replay file should be one the first ones there. You might have to sort the files by clicking 'date modified' so it orders the data by when it was created and/or changed. Your replay file name actually ends with 'RPLY' (it starts with UCUS if you have the North American version of the game). If you have more than one replay file and you need to check to make sure you have the correct one, then click on the file and find the PARAM.SFO and click on that. The text will show you what car, track, time, physics, tires, etc... you can then back out - but don't save! Saving will corrupt the data. Now that you have confirmed the replay, drag it to your desktop. Once there, you need to make it a ZIP file archive (you can use WINZIP or 7z for this and both are free programs). That zipped file (that actually ends with .zip) is now ready to be uploaded to the site. If you go to make a post here at GTPlanet, you'll notice if you scroll down a button that says 'Manage Attachments'. That brings up a window, click 'browse' and find the .zip file... click on that and then click 'upload'. That's it!

Glubags, a TAC legend, wrote up something similar. In case I didn't really make much sense, you can check out what he wrote: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3614313&postcount=408

The deadline is Monday, but people can submit at any time. I generally do so on Sunday so I don't miss the cutoff (I'm pretty busy Monday morning).

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. We're all here to help one another!

:)

Welcome rofajole!!! JOIN IN!! Any clean laps and honest times would be good. Detroitbb just explained everything you need to know about the replay data, you just have to abide by TAC rules, drive your car, and have fun.

Welcome rofajole !!! About the Ghost saving process, I would like to add this -just to be sure ;)- 3 different situations :

1. You're about to run a lap , these are your options :

No save.

2. You did start a lap BUT didn't finish it and left the track , these are your options :

Can save the race cause it doesn't care if you ran half of a lap or 10 of them, but not a ghost -you didn't finish the lap-

3.You did finish the lap , these are your options :

Now you can save your ghost ! This is the one we need ! It will be your best lap on the track for the session you opened, from start to finish.

Let's say you ran ten laps, the save button on the left -situation 2- will save your race -so 10 laps- and the save button on the right -situation 3- will save your best laptime ghost.

Happy racing with us :gtpflag:

PS : No better time for me and the Camaro...

Wow.. I don't know how to admit this, but I committed such a noob-ish error. I thought this was on the GT4 section of GTPlanet, and not GTPSP. :ouch:

I'm sorry guys for wasting your time to post those replies which I really appreciate, this was a truly honest mistake. :nervous:

Wow.. I don't know how to admit this, but I committed such a noob-ish error. I thought this was on the GT4 section of GTPlanet, and not GTPSP. :ouch:

I'm sorry guys for wasting your time to post those replies which I really appreciate, this was a truly honest mistake. :nervous:

That's quite alright, rofajole!

👍

Back