GTP WTAC Week 26: Hot Hatch Challenge presented by Dan360

• Thread starter Detroitbb
  • 58 comments
GTP WTAC Week 26 : Hot Hatch Challenge presented by Dan360

*** Dan chose for us the 2003 Ford Focus ST170, which is one of the three performance-tuned versions of the Focus (the other being the RS model and the North American-only SVT). It featured a Getrag 6-speed gearbox (also found on the Mini Cooper S), a Cosworth-tweaked engine, and 17-inch alloy wheels. An optional feature for buyers were leather Recardo seats, Cosworth stainless steel exhaust, and beefy disc brakes. While the ST170 was available worldwide, it wasn't sold in North America. Canadians and Americans had an almost identical model called the SVT. The other car for this challenge is the 1997 Mitsubishi Mirage Cyborg ZR featuring a 1.6 liter MIVEC inline-4. This car was light and boasted a good power-to-weight ratio. This made the car popular for fans of gymkhana. It's main competitor in Japan was the Honda Civic SiR, but we get to see it compete against the European-bred Ford Focus! ***

1. Track : High Speed Ring (reverse)

picture.php

2. Cars : Ford Focus ST170 '03 & Mitsubishi Mirage Cyborg ZR '97

focuse.jpg
#########
miragey.jpg

IMPORTANT ! This is a combined times challenge: you'll need to run both cars; rankings will be made based on your combined times.

----------------

3. Cars specifics:

- Transmission: either
- Tires: S2 / S2
- TCS : at your disposal
- ASM : off
- Active Steering : off
- Driving Physics : Professional

All in-game quick-tune options are at your disposal (Press Triangle when selecting your car to add the car to your favorites and tinker with any available settings).

Hybrid cars, the use of CFW tuning or any other way of cheating (such as the Action Replay for PSP) is forbidden...

--------------------

4. Duration of the challenges : this challenge will start Monday Nov. 8th 4:00 pm GMT+2 and will end Monday Nov. 15th 3:59 pm GMT+2 (one week !)

--------------------

5. Time submission :

You'll have to post your Ghost Replay Data + Photo before Monday Nov. 15th 3:59 pm GMT+2. If you miss the deadline, your laptimes won't be in the website.

--------------------

6. Rules :

You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) ! Just to remind you :
Clean or Dirty lap :
- Colliding with or using walls, fences, cones or other obstacle is forbidden. All times submitted must be 100% wall free.
- Two wheels (except when airborne, where the vertical projection of the car onto the track counts) must be in contact with the tarmac which does not include all green/grassed/sanded/graveled areas.
Rumble/ripple strips :
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's inside rumble strips and two off track is considered unclean
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's outside rumble strips and two off track is considered clean.
- NO SPARKS!

--------------------

7. LeaderBoards

The leaderboards will be on the website

-------------------

8.Current session points leaders:

Place - Competitor - Points

1st #l-l PiTch_#####.8
2nd #-l easyasashii##l7
3rd #l- lDan360#####6
4th #l-llSylar######ll5
5th #l-l Detroitbb ##.ll4
6th #l-l red ice####llll3

Last edited:
Thanks for this challenge. I will get a chance to drive these two FF cars. My guess is...Costa di Amalfi!

Interesting track choice! Our setups and driving line will be tested here!

Both cars are FF, so the exit from a corner is a lot different than a rear wheel drive car.

Good luck guys!

:gtpflag:

Thanks Dan360 for this challenge. Track feels so wide as I was cramped in Citta de Aria for 1 week. Hahahah!! and yeah FF cars for a change! :)

My ten laps/car session :

Ford : 1'26.365
Mitsubishi : 1'26.872

So relaxing after Citta di Aria !!!

Good luck all !

Thanks Dan360 for this challenge. Track feels so wide as I was cramped in Citta de Aria for 1 week. Hahahah!! and yeah FF cars for a change! :)
This week is relaxed, compared to your amazing and fun challenge. I had fun going up and down narrow streets, whilst keeping a clean lap!

My times so far:

Ford - 1'25.831
Mitsubishi - 1'26.262

I used aero +10 -25, so the car 'lifts' off. It has less grip, but gains faster acceleration. 👍

Good luck!

focus1v.jpg
focus2.jpg

mirage1.jpg
mirage2.jpg

I want to thank Detroitbb for letting me do the photo intervals this week. As it was my challenge, he gave me the chance to take the photos, and I happily accepted it.

👍

Last edited:
Did about one hour worth of running last night with tunning. Both feel pretty similar in terms of power but Ford seems to be more neutral balanced. During laps with the Mitsubishi I tended to get more lift off oversteer and generally slide around more. Best times were

Ford - 1'25.347
Mitsubishi - 1'25.767

Interesting track choice! Our setups and driving line will be tested here!

Yep... driving and tuning !!! So I guess for this week I'll be behind you, Detroitbb and Sylar for the 3rd place quest !

My times so far:

Ford - 1'25.831
Mitsubishi - 1'26.262

Best times were

Ford - 1'25.347
Mitsubishi - 1'25.767

My starting runs were 1'27.xxx for both cars on L-F tune.

Mitsubishi - 1'26.108 (can see a high 1'25 but 1'25.767 already seem to be hard for me...) and L-F stock tuning, then softened the springs and dampers a little... I tried the Ride Height but not better for me...

I'm afraid I'll hit my limits very quickly this week !

A few more laps last night and I got a 1'26.3xx with the Ford Focus and a 1'26.8xx with the Mitsubishi Mirage. If I get some free time tonight to play, I'll start tuning the cars and hopefully be able to extract more performance out of these two ladies.

Can I give this a try? :P

Of course! We love to have new competitors join!

:)

Problem is, I have yet to get these cars. This dealership system really sucks.

Try skipping days by choosing a car/track combo, after clicking to go into the race menu, back out again to go back to the menu where you choose the cars/tracks. You'll have skipped a day. Do that twice and you'll have a new group of dealerships available.

👍

Try skipping days by choosing a car/track combo, after clicking to go into the race menu, back out again to go back to the menu where you choose the cars/tracks. You'll have skipped a day. Do that twice and you'll have a new group of dealerships available.

👍

Wow, I had no idea you could do that... thank you very much! I'll get to it now :P

Thank you all :)

I finally got the Focus after a lot of restarting and the best I've done is 1'26.3xx... I'll have to play with the setup a little! And get the Mirage later.

1'25.722 after tweaking the ride height a little...!

Last edited:
Sweet photos, Dan!

Great photos 👍 !
Thanks, guys!
Can I give this a try? :P
Sure, Welcome to TAC!

No new times for me, yet. I've reset my ride height, just to see if it's quicker than my suggested setup. The 'lift-off' setup doesn't really increase acceleration, but it increases understeer. Looks like my theory is wrong...

New times, lowered ride height, stiffness 5 and damper 4,3 (Front, rear)...

Ford - 1'25.540
Mitsubishi - 1'25.859

Last edited:
Can i please try out?
Welcome to WTAC!

of course just follow detroitbb's tips on how to get the cars via skipping the days, and get most of the dealership cycle and after buying the cars, just follow the WTAC rules and you're good to go!

Latest Posts

Back