GTP WTAC Week 27 : Raw Power Challenge presented by Sylar

• Thread starter Detroitbb
  • 42 comments
GTP WTAC Week 27 : Raw Power Challenge presented by Sylar

*** The first 'power' car is Sylar's choice, the 2005 BMW M5. This version is known as the E60 and was most noted for having a single-clutch 7-speed SMG III sequential shifter (a later 6-speed manual was offered for the North American market in the 2007 model). Not a light car by any means, it weighs in at a hefty 1800+ kilos. To move that much mass, a large 5-liter V10 putting out 500 horses was fitted in the engine bay. To accompany the M5 in this challenge, the 2003 Dodge Viper SRT10 was chosen. The Viper was originally designed, in part, with the help of legendary racer/designer Carroll Shelby. This vehicle features an very large 8.3-liter engine outputting 500+ horsepower... all to push the 1500+ kg car. Production of the Dodge Viper ended in July of this year, much to the sadness of high-performance lovers. Not two months later, Sergio Marchionne (Chrysler and Fiat CEO) announced plans to release a redesigned Viper for the the model year 2012. ***

1. Track : Grand Valley Speedway (reverse)

picture.php

2. Cars : BMW M5 '05 & Dodge VIPER SRT10 '03

img0000a.jpg
l
img0009wri.jpg

IMPORTANT ! This is a combined times challenge: you'll need to run both cars; rankings will be made based on your combined times.

----------------

3. Cars specifics:

- Transmission: either
- Tires: S2 / S2
- TCS : at your disposal
- ASM : off
- Active Steering : off
- Driving Physics : Professional

All in-game quick-tune options are at your disposal (Press Triangle when selecting your car to add the car to your favorites and tinker with any available settings).

Hybrid cars, the use of CFW tuning or any other way of cheating (such as the Action Replay for PSP) is forbidden...

--------------------

4. Duration of the challenges : this challenge will start Monday Nov. 15th 4:00 pm GMT+2 and will end Monday Nov. 22nd 3:59 pm GMT+2 (one week !)

--------------------

5. Time submission :

You'll have to post your Ghost Replay Data + Photo before Monday Nov. 22nd 3:59 pm GMT+2. If you miss the deadline, your laptimes won't be in the website.

--------------------

6. Rules :

You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) ! Just to remind you :
Clean or Dirty lap :
- Colliding with or using walls, fences, cones or other obstacle is forbidden. All times submitted must be 100% wall free.
- Two wheels (except when airborne, where the vertical projection of the car onto the track counts) must be in contact with the tarmac which does not include all green/grassed/sanded/graveled areas.
Rumble/ripple strips :
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's inside rumble strips and two off track is considered unclean
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's outside rumble strips and two off track is considered clean.
- NO SPARKS!

--------------------

7. LeaderBoards

The leaderboards will be on the website

-------------------

8. Current session points leaders:

Place - Competitor - Points

1st #l-l PiTch_#####.16
2nd #-l easyasashii##l13
3rd #l- lSylar######ll12#
small_up_arrow.gif

4th #l-llDan360#####11#
small_down_arrow.gif

5th #l-l Detroitbb ##.ll8
6th #l-l red ice####llll6

Last edited:
Currently having some Practice runs on green hell using s2 tires for the Viper. Very powerful cars at 500HP and the grip is like What I experienced with TVR in New York Reverse.

Great car choice, Sylar! 👍 Usually, I focus on the faster, more lively car - but this week is different! The Viper loses more time out of the corners than the 'Ring Taxi M5, making the Viper a lively car. I'll be focusing on the Viper, since it's not as stable. I'm letting the car drift into the slower corners, so I can get the apex early. Here are some laps, with TCS on 3, and no tunings ;) :

Viper - 2'08.772
M5 - 2'07.944

Detroitbb, what do you think of the run-off areas in corners B and K-L?

Detroitbb, what do you think of the run-off areas in corners B and K-L?

I ran around the track a few times and think it's totally acceptable to ask that we keep at least our two inside tires on or within the white line.

:)

By the way, I got a 2'06.5xx with the M5 and a 2'07.8xx with the Viper.

I haven't ran serious session yet... and I just saw the news about GT5 tracks... And I'm quite disappointed I have to say !

Here are the tracks we won't have -in comparaison to GTPSP- :

World Circuits

Circuit de la Comunitat Valenciana Ricardo Tormo !!!
Fuji Speeday 90's
Infineon Raceway (sports car course)
Twin Ring Motegi- road course
Twin Ring Motegi east short course
Twin Ring Motegi west short course
Twin Ring Motegi Super Speedway

Original

Apricot Hill Raceway + Reverse !
El Capitàn + Reverse
Midfield Raceway + Reverse

Driving Park

Beginner course + Reverse
Test course + Reverse
Motorland + Reverse

City

Citta Di Aria + Reverse
Costiera Amalfitana + Reverse
Seattle Circuit + Reverse
New York + Reverse
Opéra de Paris + Reverse
Seoul Central + Reverse

Dirt and Snow

Swiss Alps + Reverse
Cathedral Rocks Trail I + Reverse
Cathedral Rocks Trail II + Reverse
Cathedral Rocks Trail III + Reverse
Grand Canyon + Reverse
Ice Arena + Reverse
Tahiti Maze + Reverse

TOTAL = 45 tracks (Forward + Reverse) !!!

So, if I am a little bit disappointed not to have some of the track I love, I know that weather + time + the fact that we can make our own tracks (Lion-Face, I'm counting on you ;)) will make this game amazing -I hope...-!!!

Have fun ! :gtpflag:

I'm very disappointed about the tracklist too. Then I saw how poorly the upscaled standard cars look in the photomode and got more disappointed. Then there is the whole G25/G27 potential 'compatibility' issue(s) and I might even become more disappointed! No wheel changing for standard models and the same crappy looking wings that we saw in GT4 round out my major disappointments... unless there isn't an option to run GT5 in a LAN setup (then that would be yet another one!).

On the plus side, I still think custom music/soundtracks is in the game, but I haven't seen or heard any confirmation of that fact. Another great thing is the upgraded physics - that's a big plus! Mechanical damage is very good too... hopefully that keeps people from slamming into other cars around turns and keep them from riding guardrails. Painting cars is a big plus too.

All in all, after six years of hype from Polyphony Digital and Sony, I'm quite underwhelmed and my purchase in the near future is in doubt. I was going to get a PS3/Playseat/G25 or G27/Gran Turismo 5 and all that would set me back roughly $1000. That's a lot of money to spend for something that I'm not super excited about at the moment.

EDIT: easyasashii's post reminded me that I'll also need at least $700-$1200 for a TV too! DOH!

Last edited:
That's exactly how I feel : I'm having a lot of fun with GTPSP and WTAC, I'm starting to have second thoughts about buying PS3/GT5/TV... "underwhelmed" is the exact feeling I have ! I'll have to play with it at one of my friends first before actually buy the package ;) !

In the meantime, we have great challenges and an excellent micro-community here in WTAC and I love it :D !!! I really have a great time with you guys !

Both cars in 2'07.xxx, a shy start for me, very busy week ahead of me !

Good luck guys !

:gtpflag:

Lion-Face, you're in ?

Thanks for the info guys. My friend just bought a PS3 package but unfortunately, he discovered he will not be able to play games in higher versions, especially GT5. And he's waiting for some clarification with that matter coz he spent a lot of money already.
As for me, still saving up for the console and the LCD TV and it won't be in the near future before I can purchase it.

I'm rather disappointed by the deleted tracks.
Valencia, EL Capitan, Apricot, Midfield, Seattle and all those rally tracks!
Whoa!!

Current times at Grand Valley, still very slow @ 2'20.xxx for the Viper. Working on it. LOL

Thanks for the info guys. My friend just bought a PS3 package but unfortunately, he discovered he will not be able to play games in higher versions, especially GT5. And he's waiting for some clarification with that matter coz he spent a lot of money already.
As for me, still saving up for the console and the LCD TV and it won't be in the near future before I can purchase it.

I'm rather disappointed by the deleted tracks.
Valencia, EL Capitan, Apricot, Midfield, Seattle and all those rally tracks!
Whoa!!

Current times at Grand Valley, still very slow @ 2'20.xxx for the Viper. Working on it. LOL

I don't understand this Red, did he buy a modded PS3 and now he isn't able to update his system? Sounds weird

Some more times, with little tunings:

BMW - 2'05.6xx
Dodge - 2'07.1xx

As for GT5... Well, I'm still scraping the money for it, although I'm likely to buy it next year. I'm thinking of selling my old PS2 games, even though it doesn't really get much money (£3, or around $5, per game, and I have 20 to sell). Also, I don't have a PS3. As for a screen to play on... I don't have a flatscreen, but my laptop can be used as a screen. It has a HDMI port, so it can connect to a PS3.
By the way, my laptop has an LCD screen. I'm aiming for a cost at around £250, or $400, for a PS3 (I don't mind if it's second-hand), DS3, and GT5.

I don't understand this Red, did he buy a modded PS3 and now he isn't able to update his system? Sounds weird

Yes. He risked buying the modded PS3 (hacked) just 2 weeks before the GT5 release. A very bad decision. He was fooled to think he will be able to update it. These PS3 modded versions are like the PSP hacked versions. They can play games even without the BD but they strictly can't play newly released games. It will take 3-4mos to make it possible , if lucky. And one more bad thing is the online feature. Its disabled. Its quite rampant in my home country, the Philippines. I advised him not to buy the package.
I plan to buy , if possible, here in Doha , not in Manila coz the prices are cheaper here.

Current times for this challenge,
2'15.xxx for the viper,still

Last edited:
Yes. He risked buying the modded PS3 (hacked) just 2 weeks before the GT5 release. A very bad decision. He was fooled to think he will be able to update it. These PS3 modded versions are like the PSP hacked versions. They can play games even without the BD but they strictly can't play newly released games. It will take 3-4mos to make it possible , if lucky. And one more bad thing is the online feature. Its disabled. Its quite rampant in my home country, the Philippines. I advised him not to buy the package.
I plan to buy , if possible, here in Doha , not in Manila coz the prices are cheaper here.

Current times for this challenge,
2'15.xxx for the viper,still

Oh your Filipino? Me too, well half anyways haha. But back on the topic, yeah that was a poor decision on your friends end. Might as well try to sell it and try to gain back some of money he invested.

I haven't ran serious session yet... and I just saw the news about GT5 tracks... And I'm quite disappointed I have to say !

Here are the tracks we won't have -in comparaison to GTPSP- :

World Circuits

Circuit de la Comunitat Valenciana Ricardo Tormo !!!
Fuji Speeday 90's
Infineon Raceway (sports car course)
Twin Ring Motegi- road course
Twin Ring Motegi east short course
Twin Ring Motegi west short course
Twin Ring Motegi Super Speedway

Original

Apricot Hill Raceway + Reverse !
El Capitàn + Reverse
Midfield Raceway + Reverse

Driving Park

Beginner course + Reverse
Test course + Reverse
Motorland + Reverse

City

Citta Di Aria + Reverse
Costiera Amalfitana + Reverse
Seattle Circuit + Reverse
New York + Reverse
Opéra de Paris + Reverse
Seoul Central + Reverse

Dirt and Snow

Swiss Alps + Reverse
Cathedral Rocks Trail I + Reverse
Cathedral Rocks Trail II + Reverse
Cathedral Rocks Trail III + Reverse
Grand Canyon + Reverse
Ice Arena + Reverse
Tahiti Maze + Reverse

TOTAL = 45 tracks (Forward + Reverse) !!!

So, if I am a little bit disappointed not to have some of the track I love, I know that weather + time + the fact that we can make our own tracks (Lion-Face, I'm counting on you ;)) will make this game amazing -I hope...-!!!

Have fun ! :gtpflag:

Don't worry i'm quite sure that people who liked these tracks will make their own versions of all of the missing ones ;) If there will be the posibility

Don't worry i'm quite sure that people who liked these tracks will make their own versions of all of the missing ones ;) If there will be the posibility

Unfortunately, there won't be a possibility to recreate tracks. Even though it is being call the 'Course Maker', it is really just a 'course generator'. You set some very general parameters and the game automatically generates a track. Maybe GT6 will have more tracks and/or a proper course designer... but that's probably at least a few years away (at best).

Sigh.

well, it seems I gain 5sec faster each day I put track time. Now at 2'11.xxx for the viper and finding out a better tune

Hi guys ! I'm very sorry, I really didn't have the time to play : I got a job !!! I'm officially a Yoplait sales promoter/commercial representative ! I had to work a lot to make this happen and still have a lot of things to do before Monday ! So, I'll try to run some laps and submit only for the points -so not very competitive for podium I'm afraid...-

Good luck all !

Hi guys ! I'm very sorry, I really didn't have the time to play : I got a job !!! I'm officially a Yoplait sales promoter/commercial representative ! I had to work a lot to make this happen and still have a lot of things to do before Monday ! So, I'll try to run some laps and submit only for the points -so not very competitive for podium I'm afraid...-

Good luck all !

Congratulations on your new job easyasashii hope everything goes well for you in it. Got a chance to do some more laps last night but doesn't feel like I will be able to go much quicker. Might at most I think be able to go .2 faster with the Dodge if I could get a lap without any minor mistakes.

BMW - 2'03.359
Dodge - 2'05.098
Total - 4'08.457

Good luck all !

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

That's great news, Easy!

👍

Good luck all !

Congrats!!!That's great news!

Good luck all !

Congratulations, easy! Best wishes in your new job!

Final Times:

BMW M5 - 2'04.783
45031956.jpg

Dodge Viper - 2'05.648
viperw.jpg

Comined time: 2'10.431

See you next week...

Attachments

• M5.zip
    55 KB · Views: 4
  • Viper.zip
    54.8 KB · Views: 4
I think I may try to run a few more laps tonight as I think I may be able to improve my time with the BMW M5. I couldn't get a faster lap with that car last night, but I was always close (or even leading at times) my ghost.

Back