GTP WTAC Week 29 : easyasashii's Ruf Riders

• Thread starter Detroitbb
  • 77 comments
GTP WTAC Week 29 : easyasashii's Ruf Riders

*** CTR stands for 'Group C Turbo Ruf' and is most commonly known as 'Yellowbird'... a name bestowed upon it by 'Road & Track' magazine staffers for fairly obvious reasons. It was based on a Porsche 911, but was extensively tuned and tweaked to give vastly superior performance. In fact, at the time of it's release in 1987, it was the world's fastest sports car (as far as top speed was concerned). Not surprisingly, Yellowbird held the Nurburgring lap record for many years. Anybody perusing Youtube very well might have come across one of the best on-board camera videos ever recorded. It features Ruf testdriver Stefan Roser driving balls out in what appear to be 80's style penny loafer shoes (ha!). If you haven't viewed this incredible video, then prepare to be awed: CLICK HERE. In 1995, Ruf released the successor to the CTR... the aptly named 'CTR2'. This model was based on the new Porsche 993-chassis 911 and featured a kevlar body, AWD, a fully integrated roll cage, and a highly tuned 3.6 liter twinturbo flat six Porsche engine. Despite being better in every way from it's predecessor, 'Yellowbird', it wasn't the fastest production sports car. That title was held by the famous McLaren F1, which cost four-times as much as the RUF CTR2. An odd tidbit of information is that Ruf entered two CTR2's in the 1997 Pike's Peak hill climb, netting a 2nd and a 4th place finish. Come join us in celebrating Alois Ruf Jr's babies on the track and take note: for this challenge, easyasashii has requested that we run on S3 tires and with no TCS (as they didn't have it) - so make sure you give these beasts the right running shoes (and don't use Traction Control)! ***

1. Track : Fuji Speedway (90's)

picture.php

2. Cars : RUF CTR “Yellow Bird” ‘87 & RUF CTR2 ‘96

img0000p.jpg
l
img0011ra.jpg

IMPORTANT ! This is a combined times challenge: you'll need to run both cars; rankings will be made based on your combined times.

----------------

3. Cars specifics:

- Transmission: either
- Tires: S3 / S3
- TCS : OFF
- ASM : off
- Active Steering : off
- Driving Physics : Professional

All in-game quick-tune options are at your disposal (Press Triangle when selecting your car to add the car to your favorites and tinker with any available settings).

Hybrid cars, the use of CFW tuning or any other way of cheating (such as the Action Replay for PSP) is forbidden...

--------------------

4. Duration of the challenges : this challenge will start Monday Nov. 29th 4:00 pm GMT+2 and will end Monday Dec. 6th 3:59 pm GMT+2 (one week !)

--------------------

5. Time submission :

You'll have to post your Ghost Replay Data + Photo before Monday Dec. 6th 3:59 pm GMT+2. If you miss the deadline, your laptimes won't be in the website.

--------------------

6. Rules :

You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) ! Just to remind you :
Clean or Dirty lap :
- Colliding with or using walls, fences, cones or other obstacle is forbidden. All times submitted must be 100% wall free.
- Two wheels (except when airborne, where the vertical projection of the car onto the track counts) must be in contact with the tarmac which does not include all green/grassed/sanded/graveled areas.
Rumble/ripple strips :
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's inside rumble strips and two off track is considered unclean
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's outside rumble strips and two off track is considered clean.
- NO SPARKS!

--------------------

7. LeaderBoards

The leaderboards will be on the website

----------------------

8. Current session points leaders:

Place - Competitor - Points

1st #l-l PiTch_######.lll29
2nd #-l easyasashii####l22#
small_up_arrow.gif

3rd #l- lDan360#####lll..20#
small_up_arrow.gif

4th #l-llSylar#######ll..19#
small_down_arrow.gif

5th #l-l Detroitbb ####.ll17
6th #l-l red ice#######l16
7th #l-l Lion-Face#####..8
8th #l-l Jochemvanberkel#l3

Last edited:
I totally forgot to mention that easyasashii also requested that we don't use TCS as neither car had any traction control system.

So... don't use TCS!!!

Thank you!

:)

Thanks 👍 !!!

Guys, you'll hate me for this challenge :D ! It will be... challenging !

Please remember S3 and no TCS ;) !

(back to tahiti because you guys are already pretty fast... ;))

I totally forgot to mention that easyasashii also requested that we don't use TCS as neither car had any traction control system.

So... don't use TCS!!!

Thank you!

:)

Never used TCS ever since I joined with you guys.

Never used TCS ever since I joined with you guys.

I tried to use it for the last challenge... but I found that while I was sliding the rear end of the car less frequently, I was also much slower coming out of turns (and I could never beat any of my ghosts as a result). I also found that not having TCS on makes me aware of the exact speed in which my car loses grip around a turn. With TCS on, I don't have that exact moment when I'm aware that I've pushed the limits of my tire's grip.

I tried to use it for the last challenge... but I found that while I was sliding the rear end of the car less frequently, I was also much slower coming out of turns (and I could never beat any of my ghosts as a result). I also found that not having TCS on makes me aware of the exact speed in which my car loses grip around a turn. With TCS on, I don't have that exact moment when I'm aware that I've pushed the limits of my tire's grip.

Exactly! well explained. I felt the same way about the TCS when I was racing standard before and when I switched to Pro, it was more evident. TCS automatically corrects the error but sacrifices the speed during the turn and after it.

One piece of advice : brake early if you don't want to eat the gravels -espacially first corner- !!!

Good luck with this one, patience will be needed...

:gtpflag:

I think I'll start running tomorrow in FUJI.
Right now I'm at the Ring with the Yellow Bird. Having some leisure rides and getting familiar with the handling.

Some laps from tonight's session:

Yellow Bird - 1'37.5xx
CTR2 - 1'34.4xx

The transition from the Yellow Bird to the CTR2 really shocked me. I was expecting more high speed powersliding, but all I got was massively improved stability and so much torque out of the corners.

One tip from me; in pretty much all slow corners of Fuji 90's, try to get the inner most line, especially the first 2 corners. This is without riding on the inside kurb. Cutting (but keeping 2 tires on track) would work on the entry to the second chicane.

Some laps from tonight's session:

Yellow Bird - 1'37.5xx
CTR2 - 1'34.4xx

The transition from the Yellow Bird to the CTR2 really shocked me. I was expecting more high speed powersliding, but all I got was massively improved stability and so much torque out of the corners.

One tip from me; in pretty much all slow corners of Fuji 90's, try to get the inner most line, especially the first 2 corners. This is without riding on the inside kurb. Cutting (but keeping 2 tires on track) would work on the entry to the second chicane.

thanks! now the bar has been set in Fuji. I'm quite amazed btw with the Youtube Video linked by Detroitbb. That guy driving the Yellow Bird was awesome!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks Dan360 👍 !

thanks! now the bar has been set in Fuji. I'm quite amazed btw with the Youtube Video linked by Detroitbb. That guy driving the Yellow Bird was awesome!!!!

Amazing right ??? ;) I was told his secret was in the spring+damper settings but can't find the info anymore -can't remember if I read it in french or english-...

Good luck with this challenge, hope you'll find it -challenging for sure ;)- interesting ! And please don't hate me after this one :scared: (but feel free to hate me during the week ;))

:gtpflag:

Took some time to do some laps last night the Yellow Bird is quite a handful even on the S3 tires until you get out of 1st and 2nd gear. It feels good under braking though and is fun to drive. Best times were

Yellow Bird - 1'38.444
CTR2 - 1'35.060

Love that TOP PHOTO!!! So Sexy!!!:)

Tried some tunings to eliminate this Bird's quirkiness but...
FAILED.
back to L-F tuning for me.

Hey everyone! Don't know if you guys remember me, i use to compete back in the beginning of the year. Last challenge I took part in was the Classic Honda Challenge but I had to retire and I've been out of the scene since then because of a long, long, very very long project. Now i'm back (although out of practice) and ready to race again. Any objections if I jump in easyasashii?

Thanks Dan360 👍 !
No problem, easy! :)

With some light tuning I have managed to improve my times:

Yellow Bird - 1'36.6xx
CTR2 - 1'33.8xx

I'm currently having trouble in the second chicane. There are no noticeable features in the entry, meaning that I would 'guess' the braking point. I usually lose most time on the left-right turn on the chicane leading to the final corner. Either I hit the apex early from the left-hander, and have to slow down for the right turn, or I get the apex late. I'm still practising that chicane.

Latest Posts

Back