GTP WTAC Week 30 : A Tribute To John DeLorean

• Thread starter Detroitbb
  • 53 comments
GTP WTAC Week 30 : A Tribute To John DeLorean

*** January 6th, 1925 saw the birth of John Zachary DeLorean in Detroit to immigrant parents who worked in the local auto industry. He was accepted into the prestigious Detroit Cass Technical High School (aka 'Cass Tech') and later was given a scholarship to Lawrence Tech where he earned a B.S. in mechanical engineering. Furthermore, he completed his M.B.A at the University Of Michigan's noted Ross School Of Business in 1957. He is credited with many automotive patents while at Packard and General Motors and was widely seen as an engineering genius. The first car for this competition is the first car that was attributed to John DeLorean and the one he was most proud of - the 1964 Pontiac Tempest Le Mans GTO. This vehicle is widely accepted as the world's very first 'muscle car'. DeLorean was chief engineer for Pontiac at the time and was given the opportunity to make his vision a reality. The GTO was based on the Tempest and the LeMans was a trim upgrade of the stock Tempest. The GTO was the top-of-the-line option package (there were actually two GTO versions available in 1964). The $300 GTO package came with a large 389 cubic-inch V8 outputting either 325 or 335 HP (estimated), depending on the exact version ordered. GM had estimated that 5,000 GTO's would be purchased that first year and, if that sales number didn't happen, DeLorean would be punished for the failure. He didn't have to worry as GM received orders for 32,000 GTOs in 1964. He was then promptly promoted to run the whole Pontiac division at the tender age of 40. 1964's release of the GTO made history: the 'muscle car' era was born and this was it's first baby. The other DeLorean car is the iconic DeLorean DMC-12. The exact version in Gran Turismo is the slightly upgraded and tuned DMC DeLorean S2. John DeLorean left GM in 1973 and took two years until he was able to officially start his own auto-manufacturer, De Lorean Motor Company (yes, with a space between 'De' and 'Lorean'). This car is generally called a 'DeLorean' and not it's more accurate, DMC-12. It featured a stunning Giorgetto Giugiaro (of Italdesign) stainless steel body, very striking gull-wing doors, Lotus chassis work, and a V6 engine made by Renault. Production only lasted one full year and roughly 9,000 models were made. Of those, about 6,500 still survive to this day. The DMC-12 was most famous for starring the 1985 movie, 'Back To The Future' ("1.21 Gigawats!!!"). John Z. DeLorean passed away in 2005 at the age of 80 in a New Jersey hospital and was finally laid to rest in a Detroit suburb (Troy, Michigan) with full military honors (he served in WWII). ***

1. Track : Infineon Raceway (Sports Car Course)

picture.php

2. Cars : Pontiac Tempest Le Mans GTO ‘64 & DMC DeLorean S2 ‘04

img0000o.jpg
l
img0006di.jpg

IMPORTANT ! This is a combined times challenge: you'll need to run both cars; rankings will be made based on your combined times.

----------------

3. Cars specifics:

- Transmission: either
- Tires: S2 / S2
- TCS : at your disposal
- ASM : off
- Active Steering : off
- Driving Physics : Professional

All in-game quick-tune options are at your disposal (Press Triangle when selecting your car to add the car to your favorites and tinker with any available settings).

Hybrid cars, the use of CFW tuning or any other way of cheating (such as the Action Replay for PSP) is forbidden...

--------------------

4. Duration of the challenges : this challenge will start Monday Dec. 6th 4:00 pm GMT+2 and will end Monday Dec. 13th 3:59 pm GMT+2 (one week !)

--------------------

5. Time submission :

You'll have to post your Ghost Replay Data + Photo before Monday Dec. 13th 3:59 pm GMT+2. If you miss the deadline, your laptimes won't be in the website.

--------------------

6. Rules :

You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) ! Just to remind you :
Clean or Dirty lap :
- Colliding with or using walls, fences, cones or other obstacle is forbidden. All times submitted must be 100% wall free.
- Two wheels (except when airborne, where the vertical projection of the car onto the track counts) must be in contact with the tarmac which does not include all green/grassed/sanded/graveled areas.
Rumble/ripple strips :
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's inside rumble strips and two off track is considered unclean
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's outside rumble strips and two off track is considered clean.
- NO SPARKS!

--------------------

7. LeaderBoards

The leaderboards will be on the website

----------------------

8. Current session points leaders:

Place - Competitor - Points

1st #l-l PiTch_######.lll29
2nd #-l easyasashii####l28###(tied for 2nd)
2nd #- lDan360#####lll..28#
small_up_arrow.gif
#(tied for 2nd)
4th #l-llSylar#######ll..24###(tied for 4th)
4th #l-l Detroitbb ####.ll24#
small_up_arrow.gif
#(tied for 4th)
6th #l-l red ice#######l16
7th #l-l Lion-Face#####..8
8th #l-l Jochemvanberkel#l6
9th #l-l pvr77########.l4

----------------------

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
DMC12 is one of my all-time favorites. Just as the Countach... I grew up dreaming of driving these cars in real-life. Its sad I won't be able to join this week. :(
Good luck to all!!!

:(

But you'll be back in 2011 right ?

And we'll have the DMC DeLorean 👍 !!!!! Yay !!! Reminds me of "Back to the Future" :D !

Hi! Looks like you guys have a new opponent! ahah
Just startred playing again Gt psp ( new save file ) and i will enjoy racing against you guys! ( if my english is wrong tell me because im portuguese :D )

Just startred playing again Gt psp ( new save file ) and i will enjoy racing against you guys! ( if my english is wrong tell me because im portuguese :D )

hi there! its great to have you with us. feel free to enjoy each week's challenge.

good english btw.
:)

:(
But you'll be back in 2011 right ?
And we'll have the DMC DeLorean 👍 !!!!! Yay !!! Reminds me of "Back to the Future" :D !

Yes. I'll be back next year and hoping to see the community still intact. I guess I'll just run this challenge next year even if points will not count. Just to see my times.

BTW, Is this Detroitbb's official presentation? Having read in the intro about John De Lorean's roots in Detroit, I would assume. YES... This is his challenge.

Last edited:

Welcome!

We're glad to have you join us! Feel free to ask any questions that you may have, ok?

👍

BTW, Is this Detroitbb's official presentation? Having read in the intro about John De Lorean's roots in Detroit, I would assume. YES... This is his challenge.

Nope, I'm not doing one. I figure I choose most of the events, so I don't another week where I do the same thing.

The basis of the this current event came about when I was thinking of all the cars that Italdesign's Giorgetto Giugiaro had created the bodies for (such as the DMC-12 and Lotus Esprit)... and I almost did a challenge with two of Giugiaro's cars. While thinking about the DMC-12, I remembered that John DeLorean's first creation was also in the game (Pontiac Tempest LeMans GTO) and one was his first, and the other was his last - so we have the Alpha and the Omega; the beginning and the ending of DeLorean's career contained here in GT PSP. I just thought that would be interesting... especially because I never drove that Pontiac before now.

Im already enjoying Gtplanet! everyone likes to help! i can see that this comunity is awsome! Hope to have lots of fun with you! by the way, i might not be able to compete in this challenge because i have a new save file ( wich means no cars xD )

Im already enjoying Gtplanet! everyone likes to help! i can see that this comunity is awsome! Hope to have lots of fun with you! by the way, i might not be able to compete in this challenge because i have a new save file ( wich means no cars xD )

Hello Datadrainer, If you want, I could upload my savefile for you. Just send me a pm with a mail address and i'll send it to you.:sly:

Btw, dont worry about your english I know how you feel. Eu morro em Sao Paulo por quasi 2 anos e meu portuguese e muito ruim ainda.:crazy:

^ thanks man !

8. Current session points leaders:

Place - Competitor - Points

1st #l-l PiTch_######.lll29
2nd #-l easyasashii####l28###(tied for 2nd)
2nd #- lDan360#####lll..28#
small_up_arrow.gif
#(tied for 2nd)
4th #l-llSylar#######ll..24###(tied for 4th)
4th #l-l Detroitbb ####.ll24#
small_up_arrow.gif
#(tied for 4th)
6th #l-l red ice#######l16
7th #l-l Lion-Face#####..8
8th #l-l Jochemvanberkel#l6
9th #l-l pvr77########.l4

----------------------

Well, well, well... it looks like this challenge will have huge impact on the leadership... :mischievous:

Good luck all !!!

Hi all!

Just took the DMC for 10 laps and also tuned a bit, got it down to 1'53,469. Didn't run the Pontiac 'cause I don't own it yet. I was pleasantly surprised by the Delorean though, very well balanced car and quite fast too, now if only GT PSP had parts in the tuning options...
flux0.jpg

:P

Last edited:
Some times from me:

DeLorean - 1'50.7xx
Tempest GTO - 1'50.9xx

Week 29 is a week that i'll remember. I hadn't been on the podium for three weeks, so to get first place is a great boost. Hopefully PiTch_ and Lion-Face will return this week.

I'm currently faster with the Pontiac GTO... so I guess you're faster with the DeLorean, right?

Yesterday I took the GTO to the high 52s and then got started on the DMC, I have this tendency to get stuck on one car in these two car challenges. Its a really bad habit 'cause I end up with a slower time with one car.:grumpy:

Hey Detroit, do you know how long the current season will last? Any idea how many seasons there will be next year?

Hey Detroit, do you know how long the current season will last? Any idea how many seasons there will be next year?

Each racing session (we're not doing seasons anymore) lasts until someone achieves 48 points, then we start a new one.

Any idea how many seasons there will be next year?

As long as there are drivers, there will be WTAC !!! :D

No new times for me as I haven't run since last time ! But I'll be able to run today !

Good luck all !

I'm too slow... I had a very busy week but I should have more freetime this weekend so I'll try harder then ! Here are my times so far :

DMC DeLorean S2 '04 : 1'52.713
Pontiac Tempest Le Mans GTO '64 : 1'52.046

EDIT : I misread this the first time :dunce:

Some times from me:

DeLorean - 1'50.7xx
Tempest GTO - 1'50.9xx

Man !!! Once again, you're already very fast :crazy: !!! Pressure is so on !

By the way, are you already in the 1'49 :scared: ?

Good luck WTACers 👍

Last edited:
Got some laps-times down yesterday. For the life of me I just cant get the DMC under 1'51.

Delorean 1'51,1xx
GTO 1'50,9xx

I should still be able to do a few runs on Sunday so maybe those times will get a bit better!

Back