GTP WTAC Week 58 : Excessive Downforce

• Thread starter Detroitbb
  • 48 comments
GTP WTAC Week 58 : Excessive Downforce

*** In this challenge, we get one Japanese fantasy creation (Polyphony Digital's custom Le Mans racer based off of a Mazda RX-7) and one English purpose-built racecar, the Lister Storm V12. Having never driven either car before, I can't comment on their performance... but we'll find out soon enough if they are 'track-eaters'. ***

1. Track : Deep Forest Raceway (reverse)

picture.php

2. Cars : Mazda RX-7 LM Race Car & Lister Storm V12 Race Car '99

25114775.jpg
l
75232784.jpg

IMPORTANT ! This is a combined times challenge: you'll need to run both cars; rankings will be made based on your combined times.

----------------

3. Cars specifics:

- Transmission: either
- Tires: R1 / R1
- TCS : at your disposal
- ASM : off
- Active Steering : off
- Driving Physics : Professional

All in-game quick-tune options are at your disposal (Press Triangle when selecting your car to add the car to your favorites and tinker with any available settings).

Hybrid cars, the use of CFW tuning or any other way of cheating (such as the Action Replay for PSP) is forbidden...

--------------------

4. Duration of the challenges : this challenge will start Monday June 27th 4:00 pm GMT+2 and will end Monday July 4th 3:59 pm GMT+2 (one week !)

--------------------

5. Time submission :

You'll have to post your Ghost Replay Data + Photo before Monday July 4th 3:59 pm GMT+2. If you miss the deadline, your laptimes won't be in the website.

--------------------

6. Rules :

You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) ! Just to remind you :
Clean or Dirty lap :
- Colliding with or using walls, fences, cones or other obstacle is forbidden. All times submitted must be 100% wall free.
- Two wheels (except when airborne, where the vertical projection of the car onto the track counts) must be in contact with the tarmac which does not include all green/grassed/sanded/graveled areas.
- NO SPARKS! (this does not include 'bottoming' the car out on the tarmac or rumble strips; but does include walls/barriers)
Rumble/ripple strips :
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's inside rumble strips and two off track is considered unclean
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's outside rumble strips and two off track is considered clean.

--------------------

7. LeaderBoards

The leaderboards will be on the website

--------------------

8. Current session points leaders:

Place - Competitor - Points

1st #l-l Dan360######.l15
2nd #-l pvr77########14#
small_up_arrow.gif

3rd #l-l Detroitbb#####)11#
small_up_arrow.gif

4th #l-l vaughan######$8#
small_up_arrow.gif

5th #l-l MVR08########7#
small_down_arrow.gif

6th #l-l red ice######l$$4#
small_down_arrow.gif

----------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
Mazda rx-7 LM 1'19.307.
Lister Storm V12 1'22.948.
I feel changing direction with Lister is not as smooth as with rx-7 LM, prone to throttle too much and make it fish-tail then go out of the track.
Blind turns are also a problem to me.

I did my first few laps last night and got a 1'18.4xx 1'17.9xx for the RX-7 and a 1'18.6xx 1'17.4xx for the Lister.

Last edited:
RX-7 1'15.5xx
Lister 1'.16.6xx

My week is gonna be a little crazy so I'm not expecting much improvement on these times. :grumpy:

I, too, get tripped up with that last turn!

I had a minor breakthrough last night. I got my Mazda RX-7 time down to 1'14.5xx and my Lister Storm time down to 1'15.9xx.

G sometimes messes me up if I am too aggressive (carrying too much speed) going into the turn.

Now that you mention it, that corner is my favorite. Forward or reverse!

**currently running 20laps championship event in Deep Forest (Bspec) while playing it in the PSP.

I bought a GT5 collector edition + PS3 !! I made a promise to my wife : GT5+PS3 = hobby not life, if you see what I mean ;) !

I bought the package because in France there are lots of promotion and I bought this package -brand new- for 250 euros instead of 389 euros !

And playing GTPSP while doing some B-spec races seems to be a great thing to do ;) !

I bought a GT5 collector edition + PS3 !! I made a promise to my wife : GT5+PS3 = hobby not life, if you see what I mean ;) !

I bought the package because in France there are lots of promotion and I bought this package -brand new- for 250 euros instead of 389 euros !

And playing GTPSP while doing some B-spec races seems to be a great thing to do ;) !

YOSH!!!! 👍👍👍
Great news!! easy!

👍

Good luck, easy! Stop in and say 'hi' every once in a while!

Thats great easy! Now you, red ice and MVR should meet online and race for real. Let us know what you guys get up to. 👍

... I really haven't had any time to race this week and it doesn't look like I, going to have much time on the weekend so sorry for being so quiet this week guys... :grumpy:

How do you guys pass through these three sections below? Rx-7
a) J tunnel. Do you brake hard just in the tunnel or brake to slow down the speed at the upward entrance of the tunnel? How to hold the direction while braking in the tunnel...
b) M->N. I usually understeers, seems I am in too much speed?
c) N->O. In the long downhill road, I also encounter understeer which makes my car, especially the tail, towards the outside to the track. When I brake, the tail is easy to go out of control.

rx-7 1'18.059 reached.
It seems that releasing throttle a little and braking late is easier to control and faster than braking earlier? I'm confused...
rx-7 1'16.xxx reached.
Someone would like to check if it could be considered as clean, especially in Turn B?

Attachments

• rx-7_LM.zip
    52.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
checked it 5 times...
I can't see a problem on any corners. All are squeaky clean. Too clean! :)
Nice times vaughan! your on your way to the podium.!

How do you guys pass through these three sections below? Rx-7
a) J tunnel. Do you brake hard just in the tunnel or brake to slow down the speed at the upward entrance of the tunnel? How to hold the direction while braking in the tunnel...
b) M->N. I usually understeers, seems I am in too much speed?
c) N->O. In the long downhill road, I also encounter understeer which makes my car, especially the tail, towards the outside to the track. When I brake, the tail is easy to go out of control.

One quick fix solution is to set the front and rear toe to -0.50 for both cars.

For corner 'J' I would go full speed until the braking point. Wait for the front bumper to pass the yellow sector line, apply the brakes then turn-in.

And for corners M to O I had the same problems with you. It's possible to take both corners at full speed as long as the front and rear toe are -0.50. 👍

This week made me appreciate that too much of a good thing can be bad for you, just like dark chocolate (it tastes horrible after too much of it :yuck:). This was the same with both cars, a good amount of downforce but too much IMO. I still had fun with both cars. :)

Lister Storm V12 Race Car '99 - 1'14.739
Lister.jpg

Mazda RX-7 LM Race Car - 1'12.390
RX-7-1.jpg

Combined time: 2'27.129

When I was checking to see if I typed down the correct times, I noticed something. 'Race Car' backwards is, well... :dunce:

:gtpflag:

Attachments

• Lister.zip
    53.9 KB · Views: 7
  • RX-7.zip
    53.8 KB · Views: 7
checked it 5 times...
I can't see a problem on any corners. All are squeaky clean. Too clean! :)
Nice times vaughan! your on your way to the podium.!
In Turn B, I run off the white line in the inside of the turning where there is no rumble strip. pvr77 told me that it should be considered as unclean if all wheels run off the white line where there is rumble strip at the inside of a turn. However, I think we don't take the white lines into account these days.
Sometimes running aggressively will lead to a great score, but it's only by accident and I can't figure out the reason why it can be that faster than the others...
If all of you quit, maybe I will stand there:) Thanks for your blessing.

incredible times dan!
and yeah...

race car is race car backwards. forward reverse.
LOL.

In Turn B, I run off the white line in the inside of the turning where there is no rumble strip. pvr77 told me that it should be considered as unclean if all wheels run off the white line where there is rumble strip at the inside of a turn. However, I think we don't take the white lines into account these days.
Sometimes running aggressively will lead to a great score, but it's only by accident and I can't figure out the reason why it can be that faster than the others...
If all of you quit, maybe I will stand there:) Thanks for your blessing.

that's weird. when I watched it. you barely got inside the white line. on turn B

incredible times dan!
I even feel tired for showing my surprise on these monsters like dan ..:yuck:

race car is race car backwards. forward reverse.
LOL.
I seems not catch up with your guys' joke...

that's weird. when I watched it. you barely got inside the white line. on turn B
Sorry, my mistake. Suppose it should be turn H. There is only one way If I can go out of the white line on turn B that is to go off the tarmac...

Back