GTP WTAC Week 62 : WRC's Group B (1982-1986) Part 1

• Thread starter Detroitbb
  • 39 comments
GTP WTAC Week 62 : WRC's Group B (1982-1986) Part 1

*** In 1982, the FIA introduced what is now legendary in WRC lore - Group B. The regulations were few and far between in regards to the technology and design that could be used. And, on top of that, FIA only required 200 cars to qualify for homologation. This created a strong interest by car manufactures and fans alike. But having nearly limitless restrictions on power likely contributed to a rash of fatal crashes in the mid-80s and this basically sealed the fate of Group B. People referred to the Group B cars as Killer B's because of all the accidents attributed to these nearly F1-level dirt beasts. Here, we'll do a 'stock/race' challenge using the well-known Ford RS200. It's not well known for winning races (it actually didn't fare that well in WRC Group B rally events), but it's a legend in the world of Gran Turismo. It's also a very expensive car on the used market (regularly selling for $150,000 USD) which is ironic considering Ford could barely find anyone to buy these cars after the ending of Group B (mainly because they really didn't win races). So join us in testing both the street and rally versions of this little 4WD mid-engine car from Ford... and don't forget to enjoy the ride! ***

1. Track : Grand Canyon (reverse)

picture.php

2. Cars : Ford RS200 '84 & Ford RS200 Rally Car '85

88062436.jpg
l
29219044.jpg

IMPORTANT ! This is a combined times challenge: you'll need to run both cars; rankings will be made based on your combined times.

----------------

3. Cars specifics:

- Transmission: either
- Tires: DRT / DRT
- TCS : at your disposal
- ASM : off
- Active Steering : off
- Driving Physics : Professional

All in-game quick-tune options are at your disposal (Press Triangle when selecting your car to add the car to your favorites and tinker with any available settings).

Hybrid cars, the use of CFW tuning or any other way of cheating (such as the Action Replay for PSP) is forbidden...

--------------------

4. Duration of the challenges : this challenge will start Monday July 25th 4:00 pm GMT+2 and will end Monday August 1st 3:59 pm GMT+2 (one week !)

--------------------

5. Time submission :

You'll have to post your Ghost Replay Data + Photo before Monday August 1st 3:59 pm GMT+2. If you miss the deadline, your laptimes won't be in the website.

--------------------

6. Rules :

You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) ! Just to remind you :
Clean or Dirty lap :
- Colliding with or using walls, fences, cones or other obstacle is forbidden. All times submitted must be 100% wall free.
- Two wheels (except when airborne, where the vertical projection of the car onto the track counts) must be in contact with the tarmac which does not include all green/grassed/sanded/graveled areas.
- NO SPARKS! (this does not include 'bottoming' the car out on the tarmac or rumble strips; but does include walls/barriers)
Rumble/ripple strips :
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's inside rumble strips and two off track is considered unclean
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's outside rumble strips and two off track is considered clean.

--------------------

7. LeaderBoards

The leaderboards will be on the website

--------------------

8. Current session points leaders:

Place - Competitor - Points

1st #l-l Dan360######.l42
2nd #-l Detroitbb#####)35#
small_up_arrow.gif

3rd #l-l pvr77########34#
small_down_arrow.gif

4th #l-l MVR08#######l30
5th #l-l red ice######&l22
6th #l-l vaughan#####$l11

----------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
In hindsight, I should have added a tarmac track to use the stock RS200 on (and kept the rally version on the dirt track). Oh well, live and learn!

Very preliminary times from last night - 2'45.7xx with the rally car and 2'52.5xx with the stock/street car.

I started out with the stock version.
2'55.xxx ... can't seem to control it properly.
Honestly, I think the challenge is alright. Grand Canyon is already a tough track by itself.

How is it that I have a faster time than you on a rally course?!? Maybe the world is about to end?

:eek:

Grand Canyon is pretty challenging, which is why I mentioned that I should have chosen a tarmac track for the stock car! As it stands now, I have to drive this rally track twice as much (and risk twice as many frustration 'sparks')!

How is it that I have a faster time than you on a rally course?!? Maybe the world is about to end?

:eek:

Grand Canyon is pretty challenging, which is why I mentioned that I should have chosen a tarmac track for the stock car! As it stands now, I have to drive this rally track twice as much (and risk twice as many frustration 'sparks')!

As Ive mentioned before, The more GT5 racetime I play, I harder it is for me to adjust to GTPSP's prophysics. IT just wears me down. I still play GTPSP alot( at work,breaks,travel) but somehow, The physics in GTPSP drive me crazy compared to GT5. It is really tougher.
I hope I can get better times this week.
But still driving the track twice will make us know it better, Than say, drive the stock on a different track. Just saying.

Can I join Please? please note that I have less than 80 cars at the moment so I probably won't do every week

Of course! We welcome all people to the WTAC. You don't have to compete in every challenge, just do the one's you want and/or can.

We're here to help - so if you need some (or some racing tips), just ask!

:)

Of course! We welcome all people to the WTAC. You don't have to compete in every challenge, just do the one's you want and/or can.

We're here to help - so if you need some (or some racing tips), just ask!

I'm a grip happy guy, so what would you say would be the best settings for a Lotus Elise Sport 190 and a Lotus Motor Sport Elise? I've tried them both, and the handlings appalling:tdown::yuck:

I started out with the stock version.
2'55.xxx ... can't seem to control it properly.
Honestly, I think the challenge is alright. Grand Canyon is already a tough track by itself.

Tried it with a Nissan GT-R SpecV '09 or a Toyota RSC Rally Raid car:tdown:

I'm a grip happy guy, so what would you say would be the best settings for a Lotus Elise Sport 190 and a Lotus Motor Sport Elise? I've tried them both, and the handlings appalling:tdown::yuck:

MR (mid-engine/rear wheel drive) cars are tricky to setup properly. And, until they are, they can be way too easy to spin out. You need a significant amount of track time to 'learn' the MR car (and how best to tune it). But they do offer great handling (once tuned properly), acceleration, and weight transfer.

I'm assuming that you are spinning out, right? Try lowering the rear dampers and rear springs once notch. This should allow more of the car's weight to be sent to the back end (where the tires used for acceleration are placed) and, theoretically, allow for greater grip/control.

The founder of the WTAC - easyasashii - kept this link in his signature and it is a very good resource that you should look at (and even bookmark): Click Here!

Each car needs a different setup depending on the track and the driver's own personal driving style. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. A lot of testing and re-testing is needed. Oh, and try not to change too many settings at once or else you won't know what changes you made that actually helped or hurt the handling.

2'50.6xx with the stock RS200 (and unclean - one single spark ruined an otherwise good lap) and I have a much 'dirtier' 2'45.1xx with the rally version (I had two instances of scraping a wall/barrier). Hopefully, I'll clean up those laps tonight and maybe even improve the times a bit!

2'53.xxx unclean
stock car

I guess I should do the infinite drift trials lap and just get used to the track and then switch to Time Trials. What I did in Tahiti Before. Focus on lessening Drift Points. The Less Drift Points, the Cleaner, Faster I can take the corners.

Can I join Please? please note that I have less than 80 cars at the moment so I probably won't do every week

Welcome to WTAC! Try checking out the future challenges and then save money and check the dealerships every 2 GTPSP day cycle. You should be able to prepare for the upcoming Track/Car Combos

Last edited:
Awesome photos!!

One of them will be my background for the submission (can't decide which one though). Thank you!

By the way, is that a custom green paint job?

Awesome photos!!

One of them will be my background for the submission (can't decide which one though). Thank you!

By the way, is that a custom green paint job?

bought it by that paint: dark green metallic
I hope I chance upon the rally car :)

It came like that?!? Wow!

We, in GT PSP, only get the red or white version to choose from... were there any other colors available (or was it purchased in a used car dealership)?

It came like that?!? Wow!

We, in GT PSP, only get the red or white version to choose from... were there any other colors available (or was it purchased in a used car dealership)?

used car so it comes in what color is available.

MR (mid-engine/rear wheel drive) cars are tricky to setup properly. And, until they are, they can be way too easy to spin out. You need a significant amount of track time to 'learn' the MR car (and how best to tune it). But they do offer great handling (once tuned properly), acceleration, and weight transfer.

I'm assuming that you are spinning out, right? Try lowering the rear dampers and rear springs once notch. This should allow more of the car's weight to be sent to the back end (where the tires used for acceleration are placed) and, theoretically, allow for greater grip/control.

The founder of the WTAC - easyasashii - kept this link in his signature and it is a very good resource that you should look at (and even bookmark): Click Here!

Each car needs a different setup depending on the track and the driver's own personal driving style. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. A lot of testing and re-testing is needed. Oh, and try not to change too many settings at once or else you won't know what changes you made that actually helped or hurt the handling.

K Thanks:tup:

Right, here's my times

Road car: 2:50.475

Rally car: 2:52.586

The time for the Rally car might seem pretty awful, but with that car with those settings on that track? Come on, you're having a laugh.

Right, here's my times

Road car: 2:50.475

Rally car: 2:52.586

The time for the Rally car might seem pretty awful, but with that car with those settings on that track? Come on, you're having a laugh.

It's not slow. In my mind, any time that is 'clean' (no barriers hit; no sparks) is impressive on this track!

I didn't race last night, so my previous times still stand. I'll get back in the driver's seat tonight and I hope to complete two clean laps myself!

New times!

2'49.3xx with the stock RS200... and the lap was clean (yay).

2'43.7xx with the rally car, but I did hit a wall and created some sparks. So I'll have to work on getting a clean lap with this car - it's hard as it has almost too much power for me!

I struggled to get a clean lap with each car (especially with the rally version), but I noticed something along the way - I'm actually seeing a tiny bit of improvement in my rally techniques. Not a lot of improvement, mind you, but still some improvement. And that's a good thing!

Ford RS200 '84: 2'47.164

47164.jpg

Ford RS200 Rally Car '85: 2'43.240

43240.jpg

We'll all reconvene back on the tarmac for the next challenge... in Japan!

EDIT: Forgot to add my combined time! I had a total of 5'30.404

Attachments

• UCUS98632RPLY-B6C2FC61900.zip
    56.4 KB · Views: 6
  • UCUS98632RPLY-B6C2FC61901.zip
    56 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
WTAC Week62
Tough Track!
Tough Car!

Course: Grand Canyon / Reverse
Vehicle: Ford RS200 '84