GTP WTAC Week 73 : (Not Quite) Forgotten Gems

• Thread starter Detroitbb
  • 38 comments
GTP WTAC Week 73 : (Not Quite) Forgotten Gems

*** I'm presenting two racing gems in this game. Though we've never use either in a WTAC, I didn't forget about either car! Everytime I saw either car in the dealership, I was always reminding myself that we need to use that in an upcoming challenge. Well, that time has come. The Audi we're going to race wasn't in GT4; it was first added to the Gran Turismo series in this very game (GT PSP). The 1993 Calsonic Skyline has been around since at least GT3. It's actually one of two Calsonic Skylines in the game (the other being a 1999 version). ***

1. Track : Seattle Circuit (forward)

picture.php

2. Cars : Audi R8 LMS Race Car ’09 & Nissan CALSONIC SKYLINE GT-R Race Car ’93

audig.jpg
l
calsonic.jpg

IMPORTANT ! This is a combined times challenge: you'll need to run both cars; rankings will be made based on your combined times.

----------------

3. Cars specifics:

- Transmission: either
- Tires: R1 / R1
- TCS : at your disposal
- ASM : off
- Active Steering : off
- Driving Physics : Professional

All in-game quick-tune options are at your disposal (Press Triangle when selecting your car to add the car to your favorites and tinker with any available settings).

Hybrid cars, the use of CFW tuning or any other way of cheating (such as the Action Replay for PSP) is forbidden...

--------------------

4. Duration of the challenges : this challenge will start Monday October 10th 4:00 pm GMT+2 and will end Monday October 17th 3:59 pm GMT+2 (one week !)

--------------------

5. Time submission :

You'll have to post your Ghost Replay Data + Photo before Monday October 17th 3:59 pm GMT+2. If you miss the deadline, your laptimes won't be in the website.

--------------------

6. Rules :

You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) ! Just to remind you :
Clean or Dirty lap :
- Colliding with or using walls, fences, cones or other obstacle is forbidden. All times submitted must be 100% wall free.
- Two wheels (except when airborne, where the vertical projection of the car onto the track counts) must be in contact with the tarmac which does not include all green/grassed/sanded/graveled areas.
- NO SPARKS! (this does not include 'bottoming' the car out on the tarmac or rumble strips; but does include walls/barriers)
Rumble/ripple strips :
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's inside rumble strips and two off track is considered unclean
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's outside rumble strips and two off track is considered clean.

--------------------

7. LeaderBoards

The leaderboards will be on the website

--------------------

8. Current session points leaders:

Place - Competitor - Points

1st #l-l Detroitbb#####)22
2nd #-l vaughan#####.ll19
3rd #l-l MVR08#######l13

----------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
I stayed awake till 3am last night downloading and testing GT5 Spec 2!!
What a night!!

I wish Seattle was one of the tracks in the tracks pack dlc, but this is gonna be a fun challenge this week with great cars and a classic track. Great combo Detroit!!

Audi R8: 1'42
Nissan Skyline: 1'40
Still in the practice stage to be familiar with this city track and have no idea on how to drive a MR, especially one with such a high power as R8.

Audi R8: 1'42
Nissan Skyline: 1'40
Still in the practice stage to be familiar with this city track and have no idea on how to drive a MR, especially one with such a high power as R8.

Try maxing out the front and rear downforce for increased grip. I also changed my rear toe setting from +20 to 0. That helped me drive the Audi R8 better than the stock settings.

👍

I should mention that we'll be using the 'city rules' for this track. That is, you can go anywhere, just don't hit any walls/barriers and create sparks.

I stayed awake till 3am last night downloading and testing GT5 Spec 2!!
What a night!!

I wish Seattle was one of the tracks in the tracks pack dlc, but this is gonna be a fun challenge this week with great cars and a classic track. Great combo Detroit!!

I love Seattle too. Very technical and yet fun. Sadly, I think GT5 won't feature it as we already have new city tracks which I think are too simple: Madrid, Rome, London. Seattle beats these 3 tracks easily.

Anyways....
Does the R32 Calsonic come "only" in number 1 and no other number? I got a number 12 in GT5 and not quite sure if both have similar descriptions. Organizing some photos for this week and still waiting for the R8. I don't have access to GTPSP right now so I'm quite curious if these two cars are identical.

Last edited:
Hey, Red!

The car in Gran Turismo is numbered '12'. The picture I used here is from a real version of the car and I'm assuming there were a few different cars with different numbers. So, you have the right one!

Hey, Red!

The car in Gran Turismo is numbered '12'. The picture I used here is from a real version of the car and I'm assuming there were a few different cars with different numbers. So, you have the right one!

Thanks Dbb!
I've borrowed a PSP tonight and discovered it has some minor problems (X button does not function; Analog does not function). So I guess I'm back to old school Dpad steering.

...and so far after 10 laps each for each car...
R8---1'36.xxx
R32--1'35.xxx

R8 might need camber tweaking.

(X button does not function; Analog does not function). So I guess I'm back to old school Dpad steering.

Ouch!

Are you using O to accelerate?

I'm HORRIBLE at using the digital pad to steer! At least you have some experience with it!

1'32.1xx with the Audi R8 - my new tuning setup makes it a bit too 'squirrely' (too much oversteer). I'll have to work on tuning that out of the car's setup.

1'34.6xx with the Calsonic Skyline - this car the opposite of the Audio R8... it has too much oversteer and is hard to pull around a turn (I'm tapping the X button more than normal to keep it on-track).

circle button to accelerate. Got no choice there. :(

R32 understeers a lot being AWD but has tremendous acceleration out of corners. Which is quite a challenge coz Seattle has super technical bends and angles. Combination turns makes it harder for the R32 to achieve good angles.

The R8 will drive this track better being an MR and thus the R32 will be the harder car for me this week.

:) No Problem.
For the upcoming weeks I have got to save more money.

The Audi R8 LMS car just showed up and it costs 5million! And I can't do races coz it will progress the dealerships so I have no choice but to resort to remote racing and save 3million overnight.

I did some more laps and I can't beat the 1'34.xxx barrier for the R32. I always mess up at Turn 10.

I will stand by my statements before:
Nothing beats GTPSP's Professional Physics. Truly Hardcore Racing!

Great pics red ice! you got the ability to find good angles to take the shots!

I'll be posting my progress later tonight.

Well, how surprisingly unstable and tail happy the R8 is on this track (stock tuning) so different as how it performs on the Ring! This will be a long journey to find out a good setting.:ill:

Anyway, my first time with the R8 was 1'30.6 (unclean) and 1'32.7 with the Skyline, also unclean but it doesn't matter right now because I'm only testing racing lines to find out the best way to attack every corner, and after that is settle in and I have my plan figured out then, I start the serious hotlaping.

I want that Audi R8 (team playstation oreca) badly! but it never shows up and when it does, I don't have the 5 million credits to buy it.:indiff:

But I'm in love right now with a car that I can't get away from!!

nrburgring24h43.jpg

nrburgring24h44.jpg

nrburgring24h45.jpg

nrburgringnordschleife5e.jpg

^the new free car^ nice ride
I think that car was driven by Yamauchi in the 24hrs Nurburgring last Year.

New times for me:
Audi R8--1'35.xxx
Nissan R32--1'34.xxx unclean

1'33.7xx with the Nissan. I find that I was trying to take the turns carrying too much speed. Doing so makes this car feel like steering a bag of bricks! If I slow down even more than I would normally, then the car feels like a car and takes the turns properly. I also needed to lower the spring rate and dampers for both front & rear to absorb the curbs (so the car doesn't 'jump' as much).

1'31.1xx with the Audi. This car, being rear wheel drive, turns very easily... also too easily as my back end keeps sliding out!

This challenge is fairly difficult for me as the track is pretty technical with all the elevation changes and tight corners (both high speed and low speed turns). Also, both cars are very different in their handling, so that adds another layer of difficulty to this challenge.

New times for me:
Audi R8--1'35.xxx
Nissan R32--1'34.xxx unclean

Considering that you haven't used GT PSP in a while... and that you're using a borrowed (and broken) PSP, I'd say those are pretty impressive times!

How are the rest of you guys doing so far? vaughan? MVR08?

Back