GTP_Hun's Endurance Career.**COMPLETED**

• Thread starter Hun200kmh
  • 150 comments
Superb win when at mid-way it was looking unlikely.:cheers:

Thanks! :cheers:

How did you get a photo of a standard on photo-travel though?

I didn't :D it's just one of those scenes you see when you leave the game idle for a while (the car you are using shows up in Nurburg Castle, or somewhere else, like the Lucerne Bridge). And I took a picture of the TV screen :lol:

Then I picked a premium, took it to photo travel and to that same bridge, and took a picture of my game avatar :D

A good "photoshopper" would mix both pics, I just published them together ;)

I didn't :D it's just one of those scenes you see when you leave the game idle for a while (the car you are using shows up in Nurburg Castle, or somewhere else, like the Lucerne Bridge). And I took a picture of the TV screen :lol:

Then I picked a premium, took it to photo travel and to that same bridge, and took a picture of my game avatar :D

A good "photoshopper" would mix both pics, I just published them together ;)

Literally 20 seconds after my post, I realised that, I just didn't want to answer my own question cause I would have looked a bit confused.:lol:

Hun,

I've not tried the race, but I will believe the game will give you Groups C cars on the grid....if you have a Group C car yourself. If you have one in your garage it would be worth trying just to see if the face of the grid changed drastically.

Good luck :cheers:

Congrats on your win.
From GT4 I was always very hard on the CLK GTR's tyres which evens things up a bit.

Hun,

I've not tried the race, but I will believe the game will give you Groups C cars on the grid....if you have a Group C car yourself. If you have one in your garage it would be worth trying just to see if the face of the grid changed drastically.

Good luck :cheers:

Experience from both Hun and myself would say otherwise. The grids appear to be set to a number of variations (albeit quite a lot). It may be possible to get a grid with more Group C options, but it would be a matter of cycling through more grids rather than changing the car.

Hun - remember you can change the grid cycle by entering a different event first - I was doing this e=with a seasonal. This will give you a different first 10 grids. I can see from your list that my race was using the 4th grid. Have you considered using a touring car or Japanese GT car.

What really amazes me sometimes is that you can take the slowest car in the field, the Team Oreca Viper, slap on a few upgrades and a minor tune, and you can walk away from the R8 Race Car. In my race, the R8s and the Speed 8 were the fastest competitors.
I've never seen the 787B or the 908 on this race (racing in B-spec), but I think I may've seen either the 905 or the Minolta. It's difficult to remember as it was 8-10 months ago when I did this race straight for about a week in B-Spec.

Hi Carlos , as kj_mil wrote tests already conducted allow us to reach the conclusion that the car entered by the human player doesn't affect the AI grids (it should, but sadly doesn't).

And if proof was needed we just need to look for elitedriver123's report on his own Le Mans race. He picked a Mazda 787B and the AI field he is up against only has the same cars I got in the first ten grids.

Funny that - if I'm not mistaken - his grid is none of my first ten, but maybe he started the race AFTER doing something else, therefore getting a grid from the "alternate" list. If this is what happened, I'm afraid the second list is made with the same cars the first list is :indiff:

kj_mil I don't think I ever did the B-Spec Le Mans race, but I will check the B-Spec grids. Maybe they field different cars there?

jtv90069 Thanks! About tire wear balancing things out, I'll just have to learn as I go. Maybe I'll do some more tests with different cars (like 30 minutes of racing with each one) before I actually start the race.

Well that's interesting - thanks for the feedback.

Just ran the GV300 for the first time (my first enduro in GT5). Won in a showroom stock Ferrari 512BB on SH tyres. The only real competition was the RX-7 RS and lift off oversteer on worn tyres, but it was a lot of fun (the main aim) running in cockpit mode and using the H-shifter rather than paddles.

Keep up the good work :cheers:

Last edited:
Hi all, no time to write a detailed report, but I have all my notes and will work on that as soon as I can. The race has been going on for all last week, one or two stints per night. Had to stop for the weekend though, no time for anything, not even the report I want to do.

Anyway, just a couple of quick notes.

1 - The best (meanest) grid I managed to find is the 11th. Big (possible) LMP guys all there (2 Audis, 3 Peskys, Bentley and BMW), plus 3 GT class cars (Nissan, Mercedes and McLaren) and a lonely Viper.

2 - After losing time in first couple of hours, I managed to be on their pace (lapping slower + pitting faster = race pace) and finally I began to catch them. Slowly, slowly ...

3 - Leader (R8 '01) pits every 10 laps. 3rd place (Bentley) every 11 laps. I do 10 or 11 depending on how I managed the tyres.

4 - Fantastic race so far. As in the Nurburgring race I'm doing all I can and all I can is very nearly what it takes to keep me in the race. That's good :D

5 - No rain so far.

And now, that special moment of becoming first for the first time in the entire race, after 171 laps and 10 hours 40 minutes in ... :sly:

(sorry for the crappy video, this was captured with a iphone and I didn't edit anything).

I'll pick my notes to do a proper report later on. Updating my situation, after a few mishaps, by the 12th hour I'm in 2nd place, about 40 seconds adrift.

Last edited:
1. Setup/Tyres - The car is totally stock but to keep up I need to use the Soft Racing tyres so that's what I'm using.

2. Fuel economy - I'm doing about 7 liters per lap. I add 70 liters in a 10 lap run, 77 if I did 11 laps. Sometimes I add a bit more but this is the general rule. I think having an underpowered car pays off regarding fuel economy and tyre saving. So I get to do longer stints (although the Bentley does them also, something I find amazing) and lose less time in the pits.

The race dynamics is very interesting. The fastest car in the race is neither the leading R8, nor the Bentley (and of course not mine). It is the Pescarolo C60 Hybride, a car that started out as a commanding race leader but due to shorter stints (and probably poor last laps in each stint) got passed by the R8, by me and already (after that video, where it shows up still in 3rd place - driver name's Prieto) by the Bentley (driver name's Jonsson) also.

The Bentley is a totally different story. This car in the first few hours of the race was fighting for 6th place, then started to move up. I can only guess his longer stints are paying off.

I know this is all a bit irrelevant, they are nothing but AI driven cars, but I find all these litle facts happening up and down the field very interesting, and I'm always trying to understand what car is where, doing what and pitting how often :)

3. Lap times/Best lap -My top speed, without draft, is about 325 kmh and with fresh tyres my best lap is in the low 3'30s (I'd say about 3'32 or 3'33, with 3'35 being a normal-incident free lap).

However, those times are greatly overshadowed by laps where I am fortunate enough to get towed part of or all the way from the Tertre Rouge up to the Porsche Curves (between those and the tertre Rouge again I'm easily the faster car on track).

The Bentley, pushing well over 360 kmh per hour, maybe more, gave me an amazing lap time of 3'27,634 when we "met" on track :D

Last edited:
Great!

Your last race (24 Nürb) was fantastic.
Reading your reports, i decided to make something like that.
I have made the 4 Nürb and wanna race de 24 hours soon.

Sorry about my bad english, i'm a brazilian who's learned this language playing videogame and listening Heavy Metal. lol

Wow Haroltz, then your English is not bad at all.:cheers:

@ Hun: Good to see you going again. You'll pull this one off too. Though I wonder how you can get low 3.30s with a stock BMW McLaren.. You're really good... A good lap in my 787B (using the DS3 controller) is around 3.35 (on RH's that is, dunno about the softs)...:P

Hi YuRIPa, no I'm not "really good", As you can see by my sig I'm a steady Div 2 Bronze Driver so I'd say average at best :)

In this track a very good lap can be achieved if you have both a great top speed and great grip. I I don't know what's the top speed you get in your 787B but if you are using RH then you are losing a lot of time between the Porsche Curves and the Tertre Rouge.

Also, my respect to you if you can lap at 3'35 with the 787B on RH using ... a DS3. I'd be spinning in every corner of every lap :D

PS - Report is up to date now. In the OP, as usual.

Last edited:
Full respect to you mate taking your time to write these out. Very interesting with all the data, a great read. 👍

I made the mistake of taking a car that you can plant your foot down quickly into the Nurburgring 24 Hours, 9 hours in and its not that exciting even if I hold a 30 second gap lead.

@ Haroltz: Olá ;) I'm glad my Nurb report got you interested, wish you a great race too! :)

@ Aqua If you think the race is getting too easy (and boring for you) just downgrade the tyres you are using. I bet it'll do wonders, especially at the Nurb ;)

@ Aqua If you think the race is getting too easy (and boring for you) just downgrade the tyres you are using. I bet it'll do wonders, especially at the Nurb ;)

Oh god no. :lol:

The Audi '01 is relentless and going to sport softs would be suicide! Only have managed to build up the gap by the Audi's super slow in lap. Using a stock Nissan GT-R R35 Touring Car apart from stage 2 turbo I think it is. Its boring because of the ability to flaw the throttle easily but trying for qualifying laps makes it better. Running in cockpit too helps lessen the boredom too.

Those are some seriously good laptimes. I just did some practice in the same car, same tyres and my best was 3:37 without any major mistakes.

Hi YuRIPa, no I'm not "really good", As you can see by my sig I'm a steady Div 2 Bronze Driver so I'd say average at best :)

What exactly is the Div 2 Bronze driver?

Also, my respect to you if you can lap at 3'35 with the 787B on RH using ... a DS3. I'd be spinning in every corner of every lap :D

Think my 3.35 lap time is with TCS at 5 though, with TCS off I'm a bit slower, though I'm not sure anymore, hehe.

OP updated with another 2 stints. I'm approaching the 16th hour, meaning, 2/3 of the race. And I see no way out of a endless battle. I can't save tyres therefore I need to pit every 10 laps. the R8 is doing the same. His pitting is a litle longer, but his laps are a litle faster. We are evenly matched now and we're locked together. I see no way out of this, unless I seriously mess up one stint and lose contact ... or unless rain graces us, but the skies keep being blue (it's day now).

DD, no promises but I'll try to get my son to record one lap on video before this race ends (like he did with m last lap at the Nurburgring race). Again tonight I lapped at an average pace of 3:35, sometimes 3:36 or worse, sometimes 3:34 or better (I think my best lap tonight was a high 3:33, not sure). It's no false modesty but I really rate my driving as average. Not as precise as I'd like it to be, I can be really sloppy at times :lol: Anyway, reading your sig I notice you also use a DS3 so that's probably the main reason you have difficulty in going better than 3:37. And keep in mind I already did more than 250 laps with this car/track combo, that should give me enough experience to do better.

EDIT - YuRIPa, Div 2 Bronze is my rank within the GTP Registry, established by running a qualifier. We have 5 Divisions ( Div 1 to Div 5) and each of them has Gold, Silver and Bronze categories. Being Div 2 Bronze means that all the guys from Div 1, and also the guys that got Div 2 Gold and Div 2 Silver are quicker drivers than I am able to be.

RE-EDIT - Check the registry here (look for me in Division 2 Bronze ;) ) https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=173747

Last edited:
good luck on the rest of your race GTP_Hun.
while your GTP rank maybe div 2 bronze from reading your endurance race exploits it seem clear that you are very consistent over long periods which some faster people may not be able to match.

Don't put yourself under any extra pressure just to produce a hot lap for my benefit! You can always do one in practice mode afterwards.

I know this sounds obvious, and it's probably going to be more useful to other people reading this thread who are new to enduros, but when you're near the end (say, 2 hours), then start trying to work out how many laps are going to be completed, and adjust your pit stop strategy to even out the number of laps in each stop.

Also, and i could be wrong here, in time-limited races, the computer always brims the tank at every stop, so you can make a massive gain if the race finishes in the middle of one of the computer's stints.

Hey no worries, there's no extra pressure here, I still have more than 100 laps to do before the end so it's just a question of telling my son "hold that iPhone for a lap" and then publish it. :)

I think you are right, the AI cars always fill the tank and that's a big help for us (no last minute "splash'n go" for them) so definitely we need to be aware of their pit schedule to organize our own come the final laps of the race.

Updated the OP with the latest info. Also, changed the thread title from "LOCKED IN BATTLE" to "UNLOCKING THE BATTLE" because I felt the need to develop a strategy to get rid of the ever present Audi and of all the time I was losing because I had him "pestering" my entire stints. It's not that I don't like a good battle on the track, it's that this is an endurance race and it is not wise to battle it out for hours. It isn't wise to do it in real life, and it isn't wise to do it in my race also, for two good reasons:

a) being in a several hours long battle for track position, stint after stint, was preventing me from doing any kind of tyre management. When I could before do 11 lap stints (not always, but I could), now I was reaching the 10th lap of each stint with my tyres in pityful condition.

b) Because of this, many times I had good 10-lap stints worth of effort totaly lost because of 10th lap blunders. It was just stupid, and maybe all my fault, but I had to try to find a way around it.

So, I found a way (I think) to solve this problem, and end this on track battle. ANd I'm now back to battle only the car, the track, slower traffic and the GAP I see on-screen.

If you guys want to know how I did it, look for the info in the OP. More precisely, in the report of the last few stints, around the 300th lap :D

Anyway, and for all those that don't like long reads, if you really want to know how it feels to be locked in a battle with no apparent way out of it ... I present the following video:

(it is still being processed by Youtybe, so probably it'll take a few hours for it to be publicly available]

I had promised DickDastardly a one-lap video but I did better, I recorded a one-stint video :D Maybe there's no remarkable lap to be found in it (I think I did a 3'33 once) , and maybe the entire length of the stint is boring to watch, but I think you guys will like the first couple of laps. Then skip to the very end and see how all the battle was in vain. We left the pits together, 10 laps later we entered the pits together. And this had been going on for hours, and would still go on for hours.

And frankly, I like endurance races to be exciting. But to be locked battling for the lead, after driving the best I can for over 16 hours .... is too much even for my bravery in virtual racing :lol:

Last edited:
That is some seriously smooth driving. I'd never be able to make the tyres last that long. I hope your out-of-synchness strategy continues to pay off :)

Thanks both, I can now say that this strategy paid off, after many hours locked in a stalemate situation, simply by pitting at different laps seems to have worked ... and a gap was built. 👍

With less that 3 hours to go now, I am pretty confident in a win, even if some last lap(or stint) mistakes happen.

Now, totally un-related to the race I'm doing, but not entirely off-topic, I'd like to share this:

My love for endurance racing in games isn't new and certainly didn't start with GT5. In fact, my first Le Mans 24 Hours race was made in 2001, 10 years ago, using the old PS2 game called ... "LE MANS 24 HOURS" (obvious name, lol :lol: ) and funnily enough, the car I chose was the same car I'm battling now, the yellow Audi R8, only difference is that it was the 2000 version of this car.

This is the game I'm talking about:

51D497D9YPL.jpg

This game was officially licensed by the ACO and so it featured almost the entire 2000 field, including the 3 works Audis, 3 works Panoz, 1 Pescarolo Courage C52, and many others, including a good GT field with Vipers, Vettes and Porsches.

Anyway, with the yellow Audi R8 I had an easy win, so a few months later I did a second 24 Hour race, this time using a privateer Panoz LMP car. A beauty, but seriously lacking in top speed (my kind of car :lol: )

This the (real) car my game car was based on. A BEAUTY:

panoz10c00h.jpg

I again won the race with this car, but I had a lot of trouble to achieve that result. Again, a memorable race, using an underdog car. And this was made in March 2002, meaning, 10 years ago (minus 3 months).

Why am I writing about it now, and here? Well, because this weekend I was in a home where I have still in place and fully functional my old PS2, together with all my old PS2 games and memory cards. And I decided to check on that old game, to compare a few features, notably the game save options and the pit crew animation (because I remembered it to be awesome, and I don't think the same about GT5's pit crew animation, and I wanted to find out how they compare not by rememberance but by watching them back to back).

I won't make many comments here but if you guys watch carefully the following Youtube video I made when I reloaded my 10 year old save, and then compare it to a GT5 pitstop video (I also have them in this thread), you'll find that the devs at PD could still learn a few things from a 10 year old game.

PS - Do notice my 3'28,500 lap record with the BMW V12 LMR in the loading screen :D

Last edited:
It was a great game and to find this old save (and to see it "back in action" as if I had saved it a day before) brought back a lot of great memories.

I'd really like to highlight a few features shown in this video, all of them I think PD should consider:

1 - Pit crew animation - I'm not sure about the current rules at Le Mans (or ALMS, ELMS and WEC series), but I remember that the pit crew we see acting in the video above replicated exactly the rules of the real race back then. Refueling first, only after that was done could the tyres be changed. And only two guys could do it (I think two more could place the new tyres next to the car, not sure).

2 - Pit crew apparatus - Evidently, in this old game the fuel was loaded into the car with the rigs we're so used to see for so many years already. It is almost painful to the eyes to watch GT5's crew pouring the fuel into the car using a sort of giant bottle of fuel. Poor guy holding it over the shoulder, that thing must be heavy before it gets emptied ... it took me a while to figure out where did the PD guys get the inspiration for this odd way of refueling. And it's from NASCAR, as can be seen here:

FuelPic.JPG

I guess the fact that Gran Turismo is a "catch all" game has to make us understand these inaccuracies. There's a compromise to be reached, when you get NASCAR cars, LMP cars, WRC cars, Formula cars, GT cars, Touring cars ... road cars. So, ok, I can live with those big bottles of fuel being used into a Le Mans car at Le Mans (I can also live with the wheel guns trying to fasten 5 bolts (screws? I never know) in cars with only a central one.

But ... I really hope someone from PD reads this and takes some notes. :D It's no big deal, but indeed the "realism" in these litle things really helps with the "Immersion feeling".

Also, and now totally unrelated with the pit crew animation, I'd like to elaborate a bit on the pit options and on-screen info we got in that old game. I took a screen capture of the video posted above, it'll help me explain what I want to say. Here:

picture.php

A few things worthy of mention:

1 - Besides the options we also get in GT5 (Tyre type, Amount of Fuel, Save Option) we have in this game the following pit options:
a) Downforce setting can be tweaked in the pits, between 3 presets, Low, Medium, High (this can be seen in the pit menu in the picture and movie above posted). Very useful in changing weather.

b) Unlike what happens in GT5, we can opt to NOT change tyres. This can't be seen in the video or picture, but in the tyre menu besides the Hard, Medium, Soft, Intermediate and Wet options there is also a NO option. This allowed last minute "splash'n go", very useful in this game because changing tyres was made AFTER fuel and was very time consuming (in GT5 it is the oposite, fuel is time consuming and tyres have long been changed when fuel ends being loaded)​

2 - On screen info in this game has a few interesting things we miss in GT5. Like:
a) gap to car in front of you - I entered the pits and crossed the S/F line in 4th, behind the 3 Audis. My gap to 3rd place was shown at that moment (litle red message in top center of screen, below laptime in white);

b) position of leader on the track map - In this game, the leader's position in the track map is highlighted by a blue ball with a arrow inside, larger than all others except the one representing your own car's position (green, with 1P written)

c) Info on lapped cars -Unfortunately the poor quality of the picture/video doesn't allow this to be seen, but in this old game the cars in the same lap as the leader are represented by red dots, while the lapped ones are represented by blue dots. Within a 24-car field, even if you know the gap to the car before you, and exactly where the leader is, it is also useful to understand who is in the leader's lap (beside you, hopefully :D ) and is, therefore, a threat to be considered.​

3 - Real-time race clock - This isn't exactly something one game has over the other, it's more a design option really. Unlike GT5, where the race clock starts at 00H:00M:00SEC, in the Le Mans old game we had the clock set to the real start time of the race. So, the clock would start at 16:00:00 (start hour of the race back then, I think a couple of years ago the ACO moved it to 15 hours, one hour earlier).

I really prefer such a design option, and find it very easy to implement in GT5 (even as a option, like we have about track map and HUD). The clip and picture above are good examples. According to this old game, I pitted at 21:53:14, meaning close to 10 PM saturday). If this was GT5, the race clock would show 5:53:14, and it would be up to you to do the math and try to figure out how many hours of night driving you had still to do.

4 - 24 cars - Well ... GT4 had 6, GT5 has 12 ... maybe we get also 24, in GT graphics quality, in the next installment of the series. We can hope ;)

Back