GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 1 : Old School Tsukuba - See Important Update to First Post

  • Thread starter Thread starter EDK
  • 1,215 comments
  • 145,091 views
Small (tiny) improvement, if only I could string together 3 decent sectors!

T1: 15.509
T2: 35.108
 
Surprise surprise Ripping........ we are level on times and siamese twin'd on a leaderboard AGAIN!

Time shall not weary our battles!

It didn't go by unnoticed !
I'm remembering a sense of Deja Vu :crazy:
I will politely decline to mention how many km's I've covered so far.


4 laps more so far tonight gives this.
.....................

Some people are really pushing the limits of endurance !
 
Doing my best, but this was hard.

T1:17.260
T2:39:004
:grumpy:
 
Yay finally made the 34's

15.338
34.767

My heart was pounding that hard my T3 could be a disaster though...
 
Well a few more laps, a tweak here and a tweak there, oh and some football on tv and shaved a small bit off but not enough.

T1 15.471
T2 35.104
 
Yay finally made the 34's

15.338
34.767

My heart was pounding that hard my T3 could be a disaster though...

Nice going :cheers:
No improvement for me tonight :indiff:
 
After 2 hours of frustration I finally managed to beat my previous best by over half a second. Only got one good lap in in all that time though. Here's my new splits.

T1: 15.835
T2: 35.918
 
Update:

T1: 15.240
T2: 34.508
 
New best lap by a couple of tenths despite losing it on last corner and crossing the line sideways in the middle of the track, then crashing into the pit wall.

15.313
34.590
 
T1: 15.516
t2: 35.187
 
Last edited:
Finally made up a little time today.

T1: 15.734
T2: 35.608
 
Has anyone posted up a good setup for us DS3 guys? Mine is probably not stellar, but I'll post it up if anyone wants.
I used Vagabond's setup for my laps, I think I might have made the front suspension stiffer by about .3.

Im sure my lines are much different into and out of the hairpins than the wheel guys around me on the leaderboard. Lots of really late apexes. The oversteer going into a corner also helps to get it pointed the right way before (gingerly) getting on the gas
 

After 4 days and no improvement, your tune gave me a new time 👍
Nothing special, but it's progress!

Still loosing so much time on the last bend though.

T1: 15:687
T2: 35.646
 
After 4 days and no improvement, your tune gave me a new time 👍
Nothing special, but it's progress!

Still loosing so much time on the last bend though.

T1: 15:687
T2: 35.646


👍
 
Quick question... how many laps are you guys taking to warm up the tyres to set your fastest time? My fastest I actually did on the first lap of the run while the tyres were still supposedly cold...

New best lap by a couple of tenths despite losing it on last corner and crossing the line sideways in the middle of the track, then crashing into the pit wall.

Doing it in style 👍
 
Quick question... how many laps are you guys taking to warm up the tyres to set your fastest time? My fastest I actually did on the first lap of the run while the tyres were still supposedly cold...

Can't really speak to this for this combo, as I'll run many, many consecutive laps, unless I crash badly.

But for the GT Academy, when running the Cape Ring combo, that lap was so long that I did get in the bad habit of resetting if I crashed or was way behind. I set several fast laps, and most likely my final fastest lap, on the first lap. I did notice a difference in how the car handled on cold tires, but it actually caused me to be a bit more careful, and smoother, so I was able to overcome it and set a fast lap.


I call that a bad habit, because in my experience with hotlapping in general, it's no way to get into a rhythm, and you'll often find that you end up ahead of your ghost at the last split but still losing it in the sector you haven't run for 15 minutes.
 
EDK
Can't really speak to this for this combo, as I'll run many, many consecutive laps, unless I crash badly....

Which is pretty much how I approach my sessions, sometimes even continuing to run after a crash just to keep the rythmn. It just happened that today's fastest lap, and my fastest overall so far, was set on my very first of the run... which I found quite surprising. Might explain why my first sector was actually slower, though the rest of the lap was much quicker, particularly sector 3.

I agree that restarting is a bad habit but one that's easy to fall into on a longer circuit. :) Not an issue at Tsukuba though.
 
T1 15.909
T2 35.964


I'm still on a steep learning curve with GT5 , Using my own tuning for this event.
Hopefully there will be more to come in the next few days.
 
Quick question... how many laps are you guys taking to warm up the tyres to set your fastest time? My fastest I actually did on the first lap of the run while the tyres were still supposedly cold...
I can set some fairly good laps up to about lap 10, but after going from lap 10 to fresh tyres there is a very noticeable increase in grip, so much so that I have to change my approach to the turns.
When the tyres are warmed well, (say, lap 3 onwards), the car is easier to manage, but ultimately slower than fresh grippy tyres. I find it harder to find the precise limit on the fresh tyres, but there is no doubt they offer more grip.
Its like you can almost feel the tread blocks rounding off as the laps go by.
In a perfect world I think my fastest lap would be on the opening lap, lap 1.
 
My best lap was also on the first one out of the gate.
 
I can set some fairly good laps up to about lap 10, but after going from lap 10 to fresh tyres there is a very noticeable increase in grip, so much so that I have to change my approach to the turns.
When the tyres are warmed well, (say, lap 3 onwards), the car is easier to manage, but ultimately slower than fresh grippy tyres. I find it harder to find the precise limit on the fresh tyres, but there is no doubt they offer more grip.
Its like you can almost feel the tread blocks rounding off as the laps go by.
In a perfect world I think my fastest lap would be on the opening lap, lap 1.

Which is strange as tyre and fuel wear is set to off.

But I also don't run much more than 4 - 5 laps at a time. As Kev points out that is probably a bad habit due to arriving at the last sector up on your time only to muck it up because you haven't driven it in the last 10 - 15minutes.

Maybe I should try some more longer runs of 15 - 20 laps in a row and see if that helps get into a consistent rhythm.
 
Maybe I should try some more longer runs of 15 - 20 laps in a row and see if that helps get into a consistent rhythm.
20 laps has been about my average run... but I have to echo what Ripping said about the feel of the tyres. There is apparently no tyre wear on this challenge, only tyre heating but when starting a new run, it does feel to me like the tyres have the most grip on the first lap.

In line with that, I just improved slightly again and it was done on the first lap of the run. Still inconsistent - better first sector, slightly slower second sector, about the same on the third. Still an overall faster lap though.

T1: 15.327
T2: 34.761

If I could tie my fastest sectors together it would be a pretty hot lap but I'm just not consistent enough.

Edit - If anyone is using/following my tune, I've made a couple of changes-

Now running toe setting -0.09 front/0.09 rear and brake setting 8 front/7 rear - feels like you can turn in a bit more under braking without losing the rear too much and stay on the power more through turn 4 and the last bend.
 
Last edited:
Although tyre wear may be set to off, I think the (calculated) heat build up in the tyre may degrade performance. Much as when you break traction under acceleration, where the tyres 'go red' and the performance loss is substantial, I get the feeling that the tyres lose their edge after a few laps of heat build up whether the tyres have 'gone red' or not.
Maybe PD have set the ideal tyre temperature too low, or the range too narrow.
Perhaps the tyres would perform as well on lap 10 as on lap 1, but I'd suggest they may need one or two 'cool down' laps at 30mph to bring everything back.

edit:
I want your first sector Vagabond! 👍
 
...snip...stuff about tyres
Possibly you're right - since they didn't give us a way of monitoring tyre performance is dificult to tell but I might try doing a couple of "cool down laps" to see if it makes a difference.

I want your first sector Vagabond! 👍
Hehe, not too shabby, thanks mate. I'll have your 2nd sector if you're offering... 👍 :) I did a good sector 2 yesterday but can't tie it all up yet.

And call me Chris :)
 
T1: 15.597
t2: 35.247
 
Having a nightmare of a time driving this thing consistently. I've run 60 or so laps, and my best remains one of the first dozen or so. I'm going to blame not being used to my new wheel and go and try to learn it on something other than this WRS!
 
Back