GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 31 : Flyin' Down Mulsanne

• Thread starter EDK
  • 321 comments
Ok, i think i'm done but my best lap has this slight stuff up @ Arnage.
circuitdelasarthe2009nocp.jpg
circuitdelasarthe2009nom.jpg

I didn't hit the wall or go on the grass, and before throwing out my best lap for crossing the line i thought i better make sure it's truely illegitimate.

Is that the exit?

New splits
Still think I can go a bit faster, not sure if I will be able to run another session though!

I'm sure there is another second at least to be had from me but unfortunately I'm going to have to submit with the splits on the board.
Best of luck to those still running.

Finally got back to this after about 3 days without running the jet driven merc. New splits:

T1: 28.871
T2: 26.766
T3: 17.899
T4: 18.695
T5: 26.929

Looks better than it actually is as I got nervous and gave a good chunk of these gains back in the last two sectors. The lap is too long and that last chicane is too nasty to attack at full speed when you are up so much on prior splits.

I was up even more on another run and blew it on the Porsche curves catching grass really going for broke... so I lose either way I approach the final section. I might be done and move onto something a little less nerve wracking like high wire acrobatics or Russian Bar... or we'll see what a little time at the kids soccer game can do for my nerves.

Ok, i think i'm done but my best lap has this slight stuff up @ Arnage.
circuitdelasarthe2009nocp.jpg
circuitdelasarthe2009nom.jpg

I didn't hit the wall or go on the grass, and before throwing out my best lap for crossing the line i thought i better make sure it's truely illegitimate.

For the longest time when I looked at that I couldnt see how it could be considering clean. I now see why your asking. That line isnt a solid white line.

Dominic, is it the soft rear that gives the extra speed? I noticed I gained 1-2 km/h top speed when I applied Praiano's tune which was a little softer rear suspension and a lot softer on rear dampers than default. I didn't really think much about it since I liked how it drove...

I know the softening of the rear helps, I think stiffening the front also helps, just not 100% sure on that end.
I think this tuning "trick" actually dates back to GT1.

But it actually makes the car drive pretty nicely.

I just hit my perfect lap, 1'56.6 at T5 and new PB in T6. I was about .5 ahead of my ghost when I got to the exit of Porsche and hesitated at the turn-in and went wide by ~10cm! Lost so much time trying to wrestle the car on-side that I dropped 4 tenths against my fastest T7 and still crossed the line .5 ahead of my current posted lap. Completely gutted!

I haven't seen it discussed, but I find that the car is slower through T5 but faster through 6-7 with chassis reinforcement. I have two cars that I alternate between but I'm still not sure which is faster overall. Currently leaning towards "with"...

I was running chassis reinforcement with the "go fast" setup, but didn't try it before I added it.

I was about .5 ahead of my ghost when I got to the exit of Porsche and hesitated at the turn-in and went wide by ~10cm! Lost so much time trying to wrestle the car on-side that I dropped 4 tenths against my fastest T7 and still crossed the line .5 ahead of my current posted lap.
What?

Alien maths...:D

Finally got back to this after about 3 days without running the jet driven merc. New splits:

T1: 28.871
T2: 26.766
T4: 18.695
T5: 26.929

Nice job, Tim, top of D3. 👍 Hope I can catch up, I really don't want to have to submit the current on-the-leaderboard lap, for multiple reasons. :mad:

Sorry, that was confusing. I was upset. :dopey:

The splits on the leaderboard is my fastest clean lap but I'm not using that a ghost car. I use a dirty lap with a much faster overall time. I was half a second ahead of that ghost at t6 then did a really bad t7 (dirty exit from porsche).

Update

T1 29.779
T2 27.573
T3 18.170
T4 19.079
T5 27.310

sruggling with this weeks a little.

Could someone check last weeks replay for me please?

Last edited:
Yea, I broke late and ran wide.

Wow, did you ever. :scared:

I was wondering where this was, as I knew about the ruble and grass after it, but could not imagine ending up where you did. Next time, don't look at your split. ;)

As mentioned, it's not a sold line, plus I don't see how any advantage can be gained from using that area, which was the whole point of making all the pictures.

That's clean. 👍

Last splits for me (I think):

T1: 28.829
T2: 26.899
T4: 18.756
T5: 26.682

I didn't nail T6, but I managed the evil final chicane even with hands shaking. This was the 2nd of two PR laps in a row and I was just about out of my mind by the end.

I know there is 0.6 left on the track (theoretically) for me, but I can't take any more. Submitting with these splits and may revisit tomorrow night if my nerves are up to it.

EDIT: This puts me in the top 10 on the splits board 👍 👍 Tie with Carlos to the thousandth :drool:... that's a first for me, but I'm sure it won't last very long.

Just had a ripper of a run in today's session. Using yanaran's gearing and a modified version of Dom's "go Fast" tune. Thanks, guys. ;)

Dipped my left rear in the sand under braking for Mulsanne kink and drifted the corner. Not sure how I made it. :dopey:

Going to sub this now but might make it back tomorrow.

My heart rate is still up. :P

:cheers:
Kevin

Nice step forward Kev 👍 This combo is nothing if not an adrenaline rush... :crazy:

Sorry to hear about your disaster Jonas.... but not that sorry :P I can't get a clean run in today at all. Been up 0.5 on the lap but then discovered I'd cut Dunlop chicane too much on the way in. Switched everything off in disgust and coming back to it tomorrow.

Wow, I guess drifting Mulsanne kink is the way to go, I have the fastest 4th sector. :crazy:

EDK
Just had a ripper of a run in today's session. Using yanaran's gearing and a modified version of Dom's "go Fast" tune. Thanks, guys. ;)

Dipped my left rear in the sand under braking for Mulsanne kink and drifted the corner. Not sure how I made it. :dopey:

Kevin

Nice run Kevin 👍

Did you really have to utterly dominate my splits in every single sector so quickly :lol: My stint in the top 10 lasted exactly 15 minutes. Somehow I was listed ahead of Carlos before the update and now I'm listed behind in 11th... Classic.

My heart rate is still up and I probably ran my lap 15 minutes before you did. Must be good karma in the air in the Bay Area today.

EDK
Wow, I guess drifting Mulsanne kink is the way to go, I have the fastest 4th sector. :crazy:

Indeed. 👍 I dare you to do it again....

Double dare you... :sly:

Last night of racing for me before I go back to uni tomorrow. This is much more fun than packing. :dopey:

Had a lap 2 and a half tenths faster at the line but hit a bollard at ford chicane. I think I'll have one more go...

And my 3 year old son says to me in the car, about an hour ago - "I wanna go faster daddy"! giddy with grins and excitement from a peppy turn-in and acceleration. :)

Never been so proud...:)

EDIT: This puts me in the top 10 on the splits board 👍 👍 Tie with Carlos to the thousandth :drool:... that's a first for me, but I'm sure it won't last very long.

Very nice run Tim :sly:

I'll do my best, but I can't be sure to stay where I am. Didn't get any running last night but will put some laps in tonight. There's a second in the lap with the car as it stands, but I'm losing chunks in a couple of significant places and I think my gearing needs a closer look.

Race on :cheers:

EDK

Kevin

Congragulations on doing that sand drift on your best OT lap...thats extremly special.:)👍

Ive done it a couple times as well this TT and yeah if that aint the most awesome crazy thing you can do in GT5 I dont know what is. hahahaha You have no control of it but its such a pure perfect drift. Its a thing of beauty even when you take out all the green things on the apex. hahahaha

Once I didnt tho and did an incredible T4. Wish I did that well the rest of the lap. hahaha

Yee. Haw. Finally. Been chasing this dirty ghost for days, and finally beat him by 0.4.
Might be done, but my slow exits from the 90deg'ers from Mulsanne to Arnage kind of irked me. At least it's clean. Call it a banker lap.

I'm at 900+ miles on this one...:dunce:

EDK
Wow, did you ever. :scared:

I was wondering where this was, as I knew about the ruble and grass after it, but could not imagine ending up where you did. Next time, don't look at your split. ;)

As mentioned, it's not a sold line, plus I don't see how any advantage can be gained from using that area, which was the whole point of making all the pictures.

That's clean. 👍

Thank you, It was the only bad mistake in an otherwise clean and fast lap. I'm glad I asked rather then submitting my 2nd best lap which is a whole second slower :yuck:

Had a lot more laps tonight and tried Yanaran set up and instantly improved so stuck with it until I got this save ...

I was .7 up on my best save and slowly but surely gave it all away in the last sections and finished .1 ahead at the line on my previous best so i know i left a shed load of time :ouch: I am unfortunately out of time as I am off on a couple of day break to Belgium as of later today and sleep beckons now, will submit my time now and congrats the winners in advance as I wont be here to do it Monday... Well done to all who drive the end section as it should be driven :bowdown:

Thanks for sharing your set ups guys, made life 100x easier for the set up blind like myself :cheers:

Laters 👍

T1: 29.536
T2: 26.832
T3: 17.739
T4: 18.777
T5: 26.452

One second exactly to the thousandths faster to the line from my previous splits.

On the splits board it will look like I went 1 tenth faster. lol

Last edited:
Very sad now, my wheel is not fixed yet and to make things worse I found out my leaderboard lap is dirty :(

I missed it first but the second time I noticed I drove through a cone, it didn't get knocked over but it's clearly under the car in the replay so I decided it's not worth the risk.
Too bad, this was one of my favorite combos since I've started here.

EDK

Kevin

Wow, nice one Kev. :bowdown:

Very sad now, my wheel is not fixed yet and to make things worse I found out my leaderboard lap is dirty :(

I missed it first but the second time I noticed I drove through a cone, it didn't get knocked over but it's clearly under the car in the replay so I decided it's not worth the risk.
Too bad, this was one of my favorite combos since I've started here.
That's too bad. Not many people from the Low Lands these days in the WRS. :(

Back