GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 31 : Flyin' Down Mulsanne

• Thread starter EDK
  • 321 comments
I'd be calling it quits, if not for the matter of a single bollard. Bollocks!l

Dammed bollards, I took 1.2 seconds off of my OT only to find I hit a bollard on the 2nd to last chicane, swear the thing jumped out in front of me :grumpy:
Also got down to a 2.00.0xx at T5 on that lap, although it would have only moved me one place up the leader board, but then I suppose its one less place to drop when the final results are revealed!!

Dammed bollards, I took 1.2 seconds off of my OT only to find I hit a bollard on the 2nd to last chicane, swear the thing jumped out in front of me :grumpy:
Also got down to a 2.00.0xx at T5 on that lap, although it would have only moved me one place up the leader board, but then I suppose its one less place to drop when the final results are revealed!!

I've had my share of the red cones and green bollards aswell.
Many times in the 1'56's at T5 just to find out later on that I've driven thru or given hang time to red cones in sector 1 . :lol:
Most of the time it's those red cones or 3 wheel off in sector 1 or 2.

I've switched to max DF , as I found out that sector 3 is only place where 50/85 DF was faster than 60/85.
And only by about 0.175 seconds
Overall I gain now about one second from the switch to max DF

Here are my current sector specific best times:
sectors 1-5 with max DF
26.142 (53.932)
17.750 (1'11.682)
18.271 (1'29.953)
25.963 (1'55.916)

And added together. (only theoretically possible , for me atleast)

MadMax

New splits achieved last night with yanaran's tune.👍

T1: 28.779
T2: 26.894
T3: 17.898
T4: 19.115
T5: 26.149

Left a lot of time on the track, especially T1 and T4. It was very late at that point and I was happy to get a clean lap in. Better times to come today.

Last edited:
Glad you guys liked the gearing! I always set up my LMP's that way, feels pointless to have a short 1st gear when the cars can spin the wheels up to 150+ km/h. With this setup I can use 1st in tight hairpins and right angles like the one after Mulsanne and T5.

MadMax, how are you getting .750 T3 with full DF? :crazy: My best is .890 I think.

Pekka's evolved into an alien, plain and simple. Those sector times are impossible, save for T5, where I've managed 25.884 once. :scared:

Pekka's evolved into an alien, plain and simple. Those sector times are impossible, save for T5, where I've managed 25.884 once. :scared:

I think everyone would agree that a combo like this week's requires some degree of specialized skill.

I have a felling this isn't the first time he's run LMP cars at Sarthe. ;)

If Dan Holland shows up, you'll see what an alien can do in one of these cars. :scared:

EDK
I have a felling this isn't the first time he's run LMP cars at Sarthe. ;)

If Dan Holland shows up, you'll see what an alien can do in one of these cars. :scared:

That worries me... both thoughts worry me actually Kev. I've spent more time running LMP and Group C at La Sarthe than anything else in GT4 and 5.... :ill:

Last edited:
Glad you guys liked the gearing!

I'm going to use this gearing for all LMPs from now, thanks!!! :cheers:
I take the tight hairpins in second, totally cuts out the wheelspin (DS3 user here so hard to control the throttle)

Faster splits:
T1: 29.753
T2: 27.073
T3: 17.898
T4: 18.895
T5: 26.437

Still :censored:ing up the first sector, I just can't seem to get the flow of the corners there.

I've had my share of the red cones and green bollards aswell.
Many times in the 1'56's at T5 just to find out later on that I've driven thru or given hang time to red cones in sector 1 . :lol:
Most of the time it's those red cones or 3 wheel off in sector 1 or 2.

I've switched to max DF , as I found out that sector 3 is only place where 50/85 DF was faster than 60/85.
And only by about 0.175 seconds
Overall I gain now about one second from the switch to max DF

Here are my current sector specific best times:

MadMax

Just speculating here, but is there any chance you accidentally installed a turbo upgrade? With max downforce you're still almost 2 tenths faster through T3 than anybody else, and your 18.2xx T4 seems a bit too quick aswell. I doubt this is the case but it's always good to double check :lol:

EDIT: Looking at the gearing in posts on this page and the split times, I'm now doubting my own theory. Shame I can't test them for myself as my PS3/TV/Wheel is all boxed up ready to move to uni.

Question: Are the little cones objects that are not to be touched?

New Splits:

T1: 28.576
T2: 26.915
T3: 17.900
T4: 18.932
T5: 26.242

This lap was on cold tires and was 7 tenths faster at the line than my previous best. Still can't put together a complete lap though.

Kevin, I think you are right about specialized skill. So far this is one of my better weeks when you look at board placement and it's not random. I ran the A-spec 24 hours of Le Mans in the 787B just over a month ago, getting me some great experience for this event. Long way to go before this event is over though.

Edit: Denur, you can't touch any objects, cones,wall, or invisible walls.

Last edited:
Edit: Denur, you can't touch any objects, cones,wall, or invisible walls.

Yes, that's what I figured. Just making sure. :)

Finally some new splits, still using Dominic's (updated) tune.

Gaah! Sector times are all over the place...

Hesitated through Tertre Rouge - thought I was going wide and got back on the throttle a bit late. Went wide at Arnage - missed my braking point when I saw the split time. Then hesitated again going into the 1st left hander of Porsche. Up 0.2 at the line though - now looking for another 0.7 on the lap (theoretical from best sector times.) Like that's going to happen :P

Edited so I'm not 2 seconds faster through Sector 2 :sly:

Last edited:
O dear, just checked the leader board and see that I'm way off the pace for my devision. And I feel that I am already near my limit. Something tells me that I haven't driven at Le Mans enough. Which I haven't, always hated the Porsche curves, but am starting to love them though in this car. :)

Is it just me, or does this car really need oil changes all the time?

Is it just me, or does this car really need oil changes all the time?
Yeah, very frequently. I think Jonas worked it out as every 13 laps or so... and when it starts to lose power, it drops fast.

Found more speed in 2nd and 3rd gear.

Some great laps being laid down this week (mcfizzle and Joao please stand up :))...

Had a decent session last night and ran a 1'58.33x at T5, had a good T6 and got through Porsche and Maison Blanche well (my palms were sweating by this point as good clean laps don't seem to come easy around here) and then braked too late for the chicane, went through the first part too square (to miss the cones) and then got a rear wheel on the gravel on the run to the line - bye bye one second plus :irked:

Went to bed after that in disgust - will have another run tonight. I seem to regularly say to myself 'if you can do it once, you can do it again'...lets hope that's the case this week.

D2 out in force and running well which is nice to see :cheers:

I'm with you, Jon. It actually took me longer than normal to get to sleep last night, as I was picturing GTP_Gravitron in the top 10 on the LB (maybe), and also imagining all the devious ways of destroying that one 🤬 🤬'ing BOLLARD that I grazed!

Heavy delusional thoughts, sure, but I agree with the 'do it once, you can do it again'.
And I plan to do just that. Using yanaran's tune did wonders for me. 👍

Thanks for all the generous tunes and tips, gents. :cheers: Have a nice weekend.

Using Vagabond's tune with full aero and a few suspension changes. Thanks for sharing 👍

I can never hook up my best T4 after a decent T2 :banghead:. Rest of the lap was ok. Another 5-6 tenths in it if I can get it right. Good, close competition this week 👍

Also, managed the exact same T1 split 3 times within 5 laps :cool:

Nice one Jack - sweet T1 ya bugger 👍

Oh and call me Chris :)

Last edited:
New splits:

Finally I completed a lap with a split time of under 1'59 min at T5. :)
When I realise that I'm on a really good lap I tend to get nervous. I either drive too cautious and lose the time I gained or I make a stupid mistake, usually at the exit of the last Porsche Curve or at the last chicane.:banghead:
This time I reached the finish line without losing too much time, but there is still some room for improvement.

Still trying to finish strong but with no sucess :crazy: chicane:ouch:

T1: 28.409
T2: 26.629
T3: 17.901
T4: 18.962
T5: 26.086

Nice improvement though Joao 👍 The Ford chicanes are a horrible way to finish a lap though, I agree. All that effort on the lap gone in an instant.... :crazy:

Ok, i think i'm done but my best lap has this slight stuff up @ Arnage.
circuitdelasarthe2009nocp.jpg
circuitdelasarthe2009nom.jpg

I didn't hit the wall or go on the grass, and before throwing out my best lap for crossing the line i thought i better make sure it's truely illegitimate.

I wanna go fast! setup
Set transmission final gear to 5200
Set top speed slider to 149mph (minimum)
Set final gear to 2500

10 - 15
20.0 - 10.7
10/1
10/1
7/1

2.5 / 1.4
0.00 / +0.10

BB: 10/8
ABS: 2

LSD: 5/9/5

Aero: 60/85
Gets up to 248mph.

Dominic, is it the soft rear that gives the extra speed? I noticed I gained 1-2 km/h top speed when I applied Praiano's tune which was a little softer rear suspension and a lot softer on rear dampers than default. I didn't really think much about it since I liked how it drove...

A big leap at the finish line, almost 2 seconds. :crazy:

Back