GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 9 : New School Nürburgring

  • Thread starter Thread starter EDK
  • 497 comments
  • 42,705 views
on your warm up laps, are you going hard or just running to warm the tires up?

I'm going flat out right from the off just to keep my own momentum up :)
 
wow, maybe I need to start running more laps instead of restarting every 5 laps....

on your guys warm up laps, are you going hard or just running to warm the tires up? I go full bore from the get go..... maybe I should try a little slower the first few laps.


I'm running on the limit in the warmup laps, but the limit is different. The car definitely presents with significantly more understeer, and the back kicks out a little more easily.

I also find that I'm on lap 3 or 4 before the tires have enough grip to run true hotlaps, and I haven't seen a falloff. But I don't think I've had a session where I ran even 20 consecutive laps without exiting back out to the main screen to save.

Oh, by the way, please be sure you're doing your best to maintain good grammar, including caps at the start of sentences. 👍
 
Man this session of "kicking it around the campfire" sounds like the "HANGING CHAD" deal. :lol: I just whish I could figure out the other places on the track that are being pushed like what is happing in T1, I guess I will never be comfortable w/ pushing the edges like the Aliens can. Maybe it will just happen as the natural evulation of the art but I just can't risk that much so that when I do beat my old fast time I then have to worry that it might be bad.

florida_hanging_chad_recount.jpg


My whole deal is to refine my understanding of how I can generate more speed overal so that when I'm lucky enough to get back behind the wheel again (for real) the knowledge that I gain here will put real trophies on my shelf and not consume my ever waking thought as to how I can risk it all by beating myself.
 
Last edited:
EDK
I also find that I'm on lap 3 or 4 before the tires have enough grip to run true hotlaps, and I haven't seen a falloff. But I don't think I've had a session where I ran even 20 consecutive laps without exiting back out to the main screen to save.

I ran 23 laps and on my 22nd I got what I thought was a good lap, left to check it and it was dirty 👎 and did another 20 laps. In arcade mode I'm guessing the tires need to warm up but they disabled any tire wear.

One question for ya Kev. In the GT4 WRS we could install harder tires than what is in the race specifics if we wanted to. Is that still the case? Obviously I can't do it this week, just in general I mean.

Jerome
 
:lol::lol::lol: Lefty, you always find the funniest pictures. :cheers:

Thanks for all the free tips, guys.

Last night with ABS 10 and TCS 2, something just felt ... OFF. I'll be trying TCS 0 or 1 tonight.

For some reason, the very last corner, hairpin right, is my scariest corner.
Feel like Granny on that one.
 
Here's what I found helped me the most back in the GT4 days Lefty: Exit Speed.

Try your best to position yourself/car so that you can floor the car on exit as early as you can. Now this will feel very unnatural at first because you may enter the turn slower, if its a lot slower enter the turn wider. As for multiple turns like the downhill right after T1 here, try and make it one sweeping turn and exit next to the rumble strips on the right and let the car drift over to the rumble strip on the left. You should be able to floor it just past the apex to avoid going wide on exit. HTH.

Jerome
 
Earlier today I went faster than I ever thought I could, but I either ruined the lap, like I did with a 59.7xx lap or it's dirty or too close to submit.:ouch: I hope I can achieve my potential this week, if I do I'll be well pleased.:)

36.288
23.771

These splits are from my best clean lap so far, which was set on Lap 1.:lol:

Nice splits Ash, great T1 in fact. I can't seem to get much below a .4 there.

Did some further analysis on my T3 from the replays I have saved. None of them are what you'd call stellar, but the T3 that followed from my submitted splits was only a tenth off the best T3 I could find.

For me at least, I reckon there's maybe two tenths or so to be found in T3, but whether I can find them on a lap when I duck under a minute at T2 is another matter.

I'm clearly losing T1 time somewhere as I have only been below .4 once and even then it was only just better. Will need to keep practicing...

@plato, third gear, slightly wide on entry, touch of handbrake, late apex and then balance the oversteer with the throttle on the exit. If you need to apply opposite lock, you've gone too far. T2 is the only sector I'd say I've really nailed, so is the only one I feel even remotely qualified to offer assistance on!!! Hope it helps (although I would appreciate it if no-one from D3 reads this :sly:)
 
Here's what I found helped me the most back in the GT4 days Lefty: Exit Speed.

Thankzz Jump, I think that my big anchor keeping me from going faster is that I am running Auto Trans because the tendons in my wrist turn red hot when I try to do long runs if I use Manual Trans. I have just accepted the fact that if I want to go fast I have to feel the burn. So I think that I'll just resolve my WRS time to be one of the fastest AT drivers and deal w/ the handicap so it doesn't hurt when I bend an elbo driving that Hi-Ball into the ol Cake Hole. :lol:
 
Last edited:
You know, I had some problems with using a wheel as well when GT5 came out. I had to move my wheel away from me a couple inches because it 'pinched' my wrists during hairpin turns. Once I did that it was allllll good :sly:

Jerome
 
Another thing you could try is to use the sequential shifter (if you are using DFP or DFGT).

I had malfunctioning paddle shifters on my DFP for years, and used the sequential shifter instead. It takes a bit of getting used to, but works quite well.
 
35.974
23.522

ABS 10, TCS 0, BB 5/8

And still using the handbrake for the first corner. Works best for me. :)
 
Another thing you could try is to use the sequential shifter (if you are using DFP or DFGT).

I have the DFGT and I have to Paddle shift if I'm going to do it because I don't want to drive w/ one hand. I might try to knock off the rust again because that is all I used for Shift and I was noticeably faster but hitting the rev limiter from time to time would just kill my lap. With the AT it's like driving a giant go kart w/ total consistency and my hands always stay in contact w/ the wheel.

picture.php

My wheel stand has 3 way adjustability and it still doesn't help to calm down the burn in my wrist but maybe once I have a grip on the line that works for me I can then push the last day w/ MT.
 
Last edited:
First splits for me (although not my first run - had a few laps yesterday too).

T1: 36.242
T2: 23.722

Great car/tyre choice this week. 👍
 
T1: 37.066
t2: 24.488
 
Updated times.
T1 37.333
T2 24.122
 
I have finally nailed the lap. I think I'm done for this week now.:sly:

36.110
23.588

T3 could be better but I probably won't repeat the other two sectors so I'll submit with this, though I reserve the right to change my mind and have another run.:)
 
Late start at this one for me, but fortunately I managed to get a session in this week after missing the last one. Anyway, first splits,

T1 36.254
T2 23.893
 
I have the DFGT and I have to Paddle shift if I'm going to do it because I don't want to drive w/ one hand. I might try to knock off the rust again because that is all I used for Shift and I was noticeably faster but hitting the rev limiter from time to time would just kill my lap. With the AT it's like driving a giant go kart w/ total consistency and my hands always stay in contact w/ the wheel.

picture.php

My wheel stand has 3 way adjustability and it still doesn't help to calm down the burn in my wrist but maybe once I have a grip on the line that works for me I can then push the last day w/ MT.

It does look pretty close to the seat, should at least try moving it back like 4 inches and see if it helps after like 10 laps 👍 If you are a big dude like me, it may help more than an average size dude, GL!

Jerome
 
I have finally nailed the lap. I think I'm done for this week now.:sly:

36.110
23.588

T3 could be better but I probably won't repeat the other two sectors so I'll submit with this, though I reserve the right to change my mind and have another run.:)

Awesome job Ash 👍 I haven't got close to that T1 yet, so I don't think I've got an answer for you. Like I said I think there's a good two tenths in T3, but like you, I'm not sure I can put it all together.

Congrats again on the splits
 
Awesome job Ash 👍 I haven't got close to that T1 yet, so I don't think I've got an answer for you. Like I said I think there's a good two tenths in T3, but like you, I'm not sure I can put it all together.

Congrats again on the splits

Thanks, I did this lap with TCS 2 and ABS 10, it makes the car a little easier to drive, although it probably is faster to have TCS set to 0. I haven't changed the Brake Balance. I admit it does feel a little cheap to use these assists but since it isn't against the rules I thought I'd try them out.:sly:
 
first session
T1: 37.001
T2: 24.230

This combo is way above my skills... hope people won't laugh at me...
 
Updated times:

37.607
25.182
 
Thanks, I did this lap with TCS 2 and ABS 10, it makes the car a little easier to drive, although it probably is faster to have TCS set to 0. I haven't changed the Brake Balance. I admit it does feel a little cheap to use these assists but since it isn't against the rules I thought I'd try them out.:sly:

That's what I'm using as well. TCS at 0 is probably faster, but I think with this car TCS at 2 brings some consistency, especially as there are four spots where traction is crucial to the lap time.

I have my BB at 3/6 for a little bit more rotation which I find helps me at turns 3, 6 and the final hairpin.

Once again, great lap buddy. It's early, but I'd say you've nailed D3 again this week.
 
TCS 0 is my preference - this car has so much traction if you get the right exit line, TCS is unnecessary. Don't be fooled by the power-oversteer on the first couple of laps - once the tyres are warm, there is grip a-plenty, trust me. This combo really benefits the late corner entry technique, which allows you to get on the power ealier and you can really boot it :)

I've played about a bit with the BB and ABS now I'm happy with my general line and settled on ABS 9, BB 5/7 - helps with the turn in for turn 1 and the hairpin after T1 (turn 5) I felt.

So now we're cooking. :cool: Well happy with these splits but I can still see another couple of tenths to be honest:

T1: 35.980
T2: 23.558

:cheers:
 
Amazing how I can get T1 pretty good even though there is more time in it, but still destroying my lap with a bad T2 and T3

35.922
23.879

A lot more time in this just wish I could get around this track still having problems with it. :grumpy:
 
lap 15.... thanks guys for informing me to go further than 5 laps.

T:1 36.588
T:2 24.013

still far from happy.
 
TCS 0 is my preference - this car has so much traction if you get the right exit line, TCS is unnecessary. Don't be fooled by the power-oversteer on the first couple of laps - once the tyres are warm, there is grip a-plenty, trust me. This combo really benefits the late corner entry technique, which allows you to get on the power ealier and you can really boot it :)

I've played about a bit with the BB and ABS now I'm happy with my general line and settled on ABS 9, BB 5/7 - helps with the turn in for turn 1 and the hairpin after T1 (turn 5) I felt.

So now we're cooking. :cool: Well happy with these splits but I can still see another couple of tenths to be honest:

T1: 35.980
T2: 23.558

:cheers:

That's an interesting perspective. I think my use of TCS this week (never used it before in that game or in GT4 for that matter) has come about because my best time is often set on the first lap. After lap 2 or 3 I tend to overdrive :guilty:

Great splits - really need to work on my T1 and getting through the chicane clean. And then missing that bloody cone!
 
And then missing that bloody cone!

I said it in an earlier post. You don't need to worry about that glitchy cone. It's not going to show up on your replay anyhow, have a look for yourself.
 
EDK
I said it in an earlier post. You don't need to worry about that glitchy cone. It's not going to show up on your replay anyhow, have a look for yourself.

Yes but it can get stuck under the car - I tried it once. I also tried knocking all the cones out the way before I started a lap. Sure enough, one of the locals waltzed in and put it back in the middle of the corner.

I'm thinking of complaining to the track officials!
 
Amazing how I can get T1 pretty good even though there is more time in it, but still destroying my lap with a bad T2 and T3

35.922
23.879

A lot more time in this just wish I could get around this track still having problems with it. :grumpy:

see post #277 re your previous question on the hairpin in T2

EDIT: apologies for the double post
 
Back