GTP_WRS-Online Event 22 : The Grip Sensei Returns - June 25 & 28

• Thread starter Gravitron
  • 147 comments
The post above was only half-done when GTP went offline for me. I've edited it to contain the rest of the results and congrats.

Honorable mention to Roamer, well done on 4th! :)

Thanks a lot!! I'm very happy because the green hell is my favorite track, but of course the chaos worked in my favor. Went from 8 to third in a single maneuver :eek:
Regarding the "I beat Pasm (once)" shirt, don't think my non-gamer friends would get it so I might do without. But I really think a meme is in order. Something like a badge of honor... :D
Came up with this, simple but effective
Meme 1.png

Last edited:
I have a suggestion for the online racing in general. Can we move the online race to be in sync with the time trial. I understand why it is staged the way it is and initially that made perfect sense to me, but having raced both for a while I'm starting to believe that doing it the way we do it is counter-productive.

The reason is that we end up juggling two very different cars on two very different tracks and so you have to decide where you want to spend your time. Especially now that we have the Saturday worlds race it would make a lot more sense to have the online race happen the same week as the TT.

For the people who do just one or the other this won't affect them. For people who do both you get a chance Wednesday to race the TT that started Sunday, and then again Saturday and time to perfect your TT through Monday. I think this would encourage more people to do both because if you're already racing the car in the TT why not give the online race a go and vice versa. I don't think it's going to be a spoiler for the TT because online racing with tire-wear and fuel has very different physics and lap times to the TT and it's also a different style of racing where drafting can improve your time but you also have to be more careful because the cost of an off is much higher.

The only other argument against it would be that you only get a few days before the first race to practice but I actually think that is enough and there are a lot of top-ranked online racers who seem to literally just turn up to the track cold and do rather well in the races. By the following Saturday most people have spent significant time learning the track and car so it should improve the quality of those races versus now where we're going back to a track and car that some of us haven't driven in anger for over a week.

I have a suggestion for the online racing in general. Can we move the online race to be in sync with the time trial. I understand why it is staged the way it is and initially that made perfect sense to me, but having raced both for a while I'm starting to believe that doing it the way we do it is counter-productive.

The reason is that we end up juggling two very different cars on two very different tracks and so you have to decide where you want to spend your time. Especially now that we have the Saturday worlds race it would make a lot more sense to have the online race happen the same week as the TT.

For the people who do just one or the other this won't affect them. For people who do both you get a chance Wednesday to race the TT that started Sunday, and then again Saturday and time to perfect your TT through Monday. I think this would encourage more people to do both because if you're already racing the car in the TT why not give the online race a go and vice versa. I don't think it's going to be a spoiler for the TT because online racing with tire-wear and fuel has very different physics and lap times to the TT and it's also a different style of racing where drafting can improve your time but you also have to be more careful because the cost of an off is much higher.

The only other argument against it would be that you only get a few days before the first race to practice but I actually think that is enough and there are a lot of top-ranked online racers who seem to literally just turn up to the track cold and do rather well in the races. By the following Saturday most people have spent significant time learning the track and car so it should improve the quality of those races versus now where we're going back to a track and car that some of us haven't driven in anger for over a week.

See you point. Actually, I haven't been able to focus on SLS the whole week, but it might be the car-track combo too. Don't care much for one, love the other

13 confirmed and a bunch of reserves. :eek: Please let us know if you will attend the WW race by filling out the Registration Form. If we don't have 17+ confirmed when the main room opens, then it will be first come, first served.

17+ confirmed and we'll open 2 rooms.

Last edited:

As Stewards we dont see the TT till the same time as everyone else on a Sunday. If we were to run the race on the same week it would mean that by Monday we would have to have the optimal lap time for the number of laps for around the 50 min race, tested the slipstream best option, tested the best option for tyre wear, orgainised a photo shoot, made a new thread, set up the documents for the results and made sure the TT combo is ok for a online race. All that would have to be done in the space of 24 hours to have the race organized for Wednesday so Tuesday people are aware of the settings for there practice ;).

Plus you can get tips and get a rough work out off peoples times from T3 :).

I understand your point, I just think its to short a notice to keep the events organized in the way they are and produce the quality of races, I wouldnt want to wait till Saturday for a better a race as people get more used to the combo.

Could I still do this?

Handicap computed using the best clean lap of an online steward observed qualification race
  • Tire wear set to off, but otherwise conforming to online regulations
  • 5 lap race: 1 out lap, 3 timed hot laps, 1 cool down lap.
  • Scheduled with steward ahead of time (plan ahead and request via thread)
  • Completed at least 3 hours prior to the event start time

Could I still do this?

Handicap computed using the best clean lap of an online steward observed qualification race
  • Tire wear set to off, but otherwise conforming to online regulations
  • 5 lap race: 1 out lap, 3 timed hot laps, 1 cool down lap.
  • Scheduled with steward ahead of time (plan ahead and request via thread)
  • Completed at least 3 hours prior to the event start time
Are you on now ? If so set a room up for 2 and I'll watch, ive got around half hour ish free now.
Post the room number I dont know if you are on my FL.

Plus you can get tips and get a rough work out off peoples times from T3 :).

In all fairness that is real life if you've watched the F1. Remember in a recent race Rosberg getting on the radio and asking what BB Hamilton was using :-) Also knowing what a driver is doing is one thing, having the skill to execute it is another thing entirely. If that was the case after watching Barts replay on Monday I should be able to go out on Wednesday and keep up with him and I can tell you nothing could be further from the truth.

I understand your point about the timing but it is just a scheduling issue. Coordinate the two events however long you need beforehand and announce the track/car/race settings Sunday. It's not like we're talking about a race set by PD or the FIA or anything, this is all WRS internal.

I have limited time to devote to WRS and I'm guessing there are a lot of other people in the same boat, and context switching between two setups is very expensive to the point that I'm thinking about limiting to just one or the other. I hate to see the trend heading the way it did in GT5 where we'll end up with only a handful of people left doing the races down from the 150 or so that started, and making it easier to jump from the TT to the online race is one way I can see to keep the membership active.

In any case maybe a compromise and make the Saturday race line up with the current TT, followed by a Wednesday race at the same track and car.

Ok, sorry I'm a newb. So now I just wait for the rooms to be posted. Qualification starts at 2PM PST, then the race?
Or is qualification before the the posted time?

@mr_lab_rat, about one hour before race, a steward will post the room number. The one hour is for practice. At race time, the race will start as there is no qualification this week, the order will be determined by your handicap. If you check this thread, you may see other drivers opening their own practice rooms before the race room is open, or you can open a lobby and post the number and others will probably join you.

Edit, I just saw the post before you was an open lobby.

Ok, sweet. I don't have much time so I'll go straight into the race room about 20 minutes before the start.

Will someone pm me as Tenderly and I are racing at the ring but will abandon to race if Wrs has two rooms

We are thinking it will be 2 rooms, but will know for sure in the next 15min.

We're going with 1 room since we're at 16 confirmed 1hr before the race. tenderly and nail can stay in the Nurb race that they are currently in.

Bart's got the main race room open:

1472-6118-3916-1737-9962

Reserves @mohitraina91 @RedPartyhat @EWeinbauer @FerrariF1GT need to check in here on the thread before entering the room as all 16 slots are currently spoken for.

Monitor went to "no signal" on the ring at night. Three times. Not fun. Decided to get a beer and a BLT. Have a good one

I had great fun tonight in the WW race where I had to watch out to avoid cars on lap 1, keeping @GTP_Jammy behind me on lap 2 and 3 were we touched each other twice but he waited as a true gentleman on me even if he was faster. Lap 4 was a clean lap for me but on lap 5 and 6 I had @patrick19602005 on my tail who was also faster but I could keep him behind until the last chicane were we ran side by side and I spun on the grass but he also let me in front because I was still a little bit in front when it happend. So thank you guys for your great sportsmanship, this is what i love about racing at :gtpflag: @PASM congratulations on the stolen victory;) It was a real good race from @Friday_GTRP but *** happens.

Back