GTP_WRS-Online Event 9: Arigatou Mr Stephenson

• Thread starter Gravitron
  • 70 comments
EDK
I made the report from memory. ;)

But I did save my replay. :)

Been there, I still am a bit upset with myself for the Dunlop errors, but this was the most complete WRS Online race I've had on GT Sport. As I recall, I did OK in the week 1 also, but still not to my standard. I expect mistake free racing from myself.
It all becomes a blur to me in my memory, only a few points in the race where I can recall lap numbers for specific things. I'll try to sit down and recollect how my race played out for me, but if you have the replay you'll know which points were extremely subpar.

I'm similar in terms of wanting nothing but an incident or error-free race, especially when I come from doing GTP Endurance Series, being able to pull 3 and 4 hour stints for fun!

Reactions: EDK
I didn't find my way to this part of wrs (forum is quite large), and I would love to join next race(s) or annyother series.
Thinking about it, I did see the crampons not needed, even watched the vid from dutchy. Then made my way into the time trial, not realizing the other side of wrs.

@Storm_SP17* ; Yup, just the standard ds4
@EDK , thank you for that background info, I fully understand and do agree on that.

Maybe a thought on point 2, Perhaps pull off some marketing tactics into gt online. Like more sharing each other gtplanet wrs liveries/race replay's etc. That doesn't cost a lot of extra time, its just anoying to do with a ds4. That is why I make my race shots etc and share them. When players are looking for a more organized form of racing, every bit of "indoctrination" helps.
just a thought about "marketing". How many of us old time WRSers have even messed around with the PS "Community". Things like "Clean Racing Here" with info leading to WRS...etc may draw in some other like minded drivers. I found the community through contact with an "old head" @MasterGT which lead to a series on Monday nights which is accessed through the Community.

Also can (should) a moderator cut and paste and drop this thought stream onto the TT thread where it will, I am sure, produce some interest.

Sure glad I kicked the hornet's nest..:sly:..glad to see someone else has ideas to make this better. I especially like the idea of more races on Weekends where all can play and the idea of having "practice nights" (which snail has been doing for years, but theirs has degenerated to a free for all rather than instructive fun racing and transfer of ideas) along the lines of our Beer Night, on Fridays (which needs to be publicized). Its all about the flow of information. Along those lines it would be quite interesting to see what would result from a TT convo or thread dedicated to drawing TTers into the race community, and the routine positing of race thread creations in the TT areas. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: to all.

just a thought about "marketing". How many of us old time WRSers have even messed around with the PS "Community". Things like "Clean Racing Here" with info leading to WRS...etc may draw in some other like minded drivers. I found the community through contact with an "old head" @MasterGT which lead to a series on Monday nights which is accessed through the Community.

:bowdown: great minds think a like :lol:. Just mentioned the idea again in a secret place 👍.

Here is some feedback from a newbie also. As you all know I love being a part of the WRS, and share everytime someone ask, even all my liveries have it planted on them. What I love about the TT's is they are at my pace. If I have 20 minutes or an hour I can turn some laps. It is hard for me to find the time to commit to the full race. I did participate one time, but was so off pace and ended up not racing anyone and was lapped by 4 of the 6 cars. Throw in the fact I don't have a mic it was just me out for Sunday drive, or this case Wednesday night drive.

I think having some practice lobbies during the week may help increase those numbers. Informal place to meet some guys from here, learn and have fun.

and @EDK I have gone to the sport mode, if your a middle pack guy like me it is the most unfun thing to do, it is nothing like it was like in the demo. I am glad I found the WRS or this game would be sitting next to my copy of No Man's Sky

I'm similar in terms of wanting nothing but an incident or error-free race, especially when I come from doing GTP Endurance Series, being able to pull 3 and 4 hour stints for fun!
speaking of 3 and four hour stints reminded me of a suggestion I had.....current race length is between sprint and a true endurance stint...about an hour. As a result after three or four laps everyone is strung out hoping their strategy is the right one, and that they can be error free at the fastest pace possible. Occasionally like speed guys will actually "race" as they are co speed and on the same strategy but usually the race becomes a TT because as time goes by the field becomes so spread out that there is no one in sight. At this point the Race becomes a non race in that there is no one to race against except the split times. I suggest that we alternate the hour longish races with 20 to 30 minute races ( what most amateur racing organizations in the US use) with max tire and fuel wear (or double the one hour settings? ) which will compact the field into more meaningful "races", which while run under the same conditions as the longer races, will be even more intense and fun with larger grids in the future (and possibly the introduction (on a trial basis) of tires assigned by TT division ?) . These are not Sprints like the UK am races which when I did them a Century ago were about 15 min which IMHO are too short. The shorter races are races which are short enough to keep people in sight and still allow the fastest to assert their God Given Talent and give the chaser incentive to stay in the Race Mode vs the TT Mode. Its all about Curb appeal. More races means more fun, as and long as the tire wear and fuel # are adjusted to approximate the longer distance. It's sorta like a long version of the Room C races w/o the idiots.:lol:

Thanks for the great constructive posts in here guys! :gtpflag:

NA results, was a lot of fun for me following @turnupdaheat and @EDK's battle. :eek: 2 wide at 130R had me thinking they were slowing each other down. No, they killed it side-by-side, and then had a NICE slice n dice into Casio, with Kev getting ahead at inside of turn 1.

4909002829621887512_0.jpg

Quali: (thanks @MadMax for the pic)

20180201194624.png

Race: congrats @suprajef

week9.results.PNG

Fastest laps:

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20180201194354.png

I'm not grinding for credits, but would love to win the Jag.

Attachments

• Gran Turismo®SPORT_20180131221834.png
    Gran Turismo®SPORT_20180131221834.png
    128.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
EDK
You do realize that's 5-9 am in my time zone, right? :lol: I get up at 5:30 on the weekdays, but most of us like to get a little extra sleep on Saturday.

We could potentially have a second race on Saturday, but the point of WW is making it a workable time zone for most of the world.

Not trying to gun you down, just thinking about the fact that we have guys in Pacific time (which would make that 4-8 am start time) and it basically becomes a Saturday EU race with what you are suggesting. ;)

EDIT: I recommend if you think that would work, creating an interest check thread with a poll in here, to see if there might be other times folks are interested in for Saturday. The drawback could be a diluted pool, and small grids for both.

I was just throwing in a number and wanted to see the result. :)
What about doing the Wednesday EU race 1 or 2 hours earlier? Would that work for you?

I was just throwing in a number and wanted to see the result. :)
What about doing the Wednesday EU race 1 or 2 hours earlier? Would that work for you?
Likely we can put up a few polls on race times to assure we are catering to the masses, provided some of the organizers have flexibility.

NA results, was a lot of fun for me following @turnupdaheat and @EDK's battle. :eek: 2 wide at 130R had me thinking they were slowing each other down. No, they killed it side-by-side, and then had a NICE slice n dice into Casio, with Kev getting ahead at inside of turn 1.
I takes two to tango. That to @turnupdaheat for leaving room when I forced the issue a bit at a place I normally would not.

I just focused on staying on my hlaf of the track, and he seems to have done the same. 👍

EDK
I takes two to tango. That to @turnupdaheat for leaving room when I forced the issue a bit at a place I normally would not.

I just focused on staying on my hlaf of the track, and he seems to have done the same. 👍

Ha, that was a bit of a trust tester alright! As both our lines were going to be compromised I just concentrated on adjusting my entry speed so I could maintain a wide run through and get a good exit. It was the one and only time I braked there but it worked out nicely and I didn't have to hold my breath for too long! :lol:

It took me a while to settle into the race as the car felt different to I was used to. That, combined with the fact my straight line speed was compromised was explained after the race when I found that I somehow was not on the setup that I had used for the TT and, among other things, I was running full downforce. From a strategy POV, I was kinda winging it but I definitely made an error of judgement by staying out a lap too long before my final pitstop and this lost me a lot of time and I would have been in a better position to have a crack at a 2nd position finish. All ifs and buts of course, if @EDK didn't have his off it wouldn't have mattered what strategy I used. Anyway, despite all this it was a very enjoyable race throughout with a constant target in front of me and the ever present threat coming from @Gravitron lurking close behind me ready to pounce on any error I might make.

Back