GTP_WRS Week 129 : Taking a New Road

• Thread starter EDK
  • 120 comments
As it was on a lap 1.. I made a little vid of a fail on my best lap tonight and I know I'll probably have to bin it unless someone says that part of track is allowed this round? I will save it for now just in case but logic tells me it fails by going on that back ledge of the rumble ... I might be wrong as rules differ per track :P

..anyway the vid is made out of my frustration at almost 2 hours of racing and binning laps due to twatting the exit wall on that damn chicane of death for my best lap at the end of the session too fail so clumsily.. and for others to see how easy it is to get your lap red flagged at Dragon Trail without it being at the hands of the cursed chicane! I hardly noticed the ledge fail when driving.. it felt close was all :guilty:

so it's a probably a good time for people to double check their replay just to be on the safe side ;) Other than that little blemish this lap is absolutely clean as a whistle and .2 faster than my previous best lap boohoo I'm pretty gutted :banghead:

Congrats to the front runners here you guys are flying! :bowdown:

Looks good to me.

Hi guys. Hope everyone is well.
Was looking for some direction or help. I have a time for this week to submit. However when I submit the time to FetchBot I get a “Failed” reply.
Following the registration instructions, FetchBot replies that my PSN tag is already taken. I’m on the Inactive list from GT5 days.

Thanks all,

GTP_Spiff

Reactions: EDK
Hi guys. Hope everyone is well.
Was looking for some direction or help. I have a time for this week to submit. However when I submit the time to FetchBot I get a “Failed” reply.
Following the registration instructions, FetchBot replies that my PSN tag is already taken. I’m on the Inactive list from GT5 days.

Thanks all,

GTP_Spiff
Please add me to the convo.

As it was on a lap 1.. I made a little vid of a fail on my best lap tonight and I know I'll probably have to bin it unless someone says that part of track is allowed this round? I will save it for now just in case but logic tells me it fails by going on that back ledge of the rumble ... I might be wrong as rules differ per track :P

..anyway the vid is made out of my frustration at almost 2 hours of racing and binning laps due to twatting the exit wall on that damn chicane of death for my best lap at the end of the session too fail so clumsily.. and for others to see how easy it is to get your lap red flagged at Dragon Trail without it being at the hands of the cursed chicane! I hardly noticed the ledge fail when driving.. it felt close was all :guilty:

so it's a probably a good time for people to double check their replay just to be on the safe side ;) Other than that little blemish this lap is absolutely clean as a whistle and .2 faster than my previous best lap boohoo I'm pretty gutted :banghead:

I'm pretty sure this is a good run, looks like you kept 2 wheels on the kerb throughout the corner.

Thanks for the info guys.. based on the last image from the OP it's actually a fail going on the back end of the rumble strip and you will get red flagged if you drive your right hand tyre on the outermost sloped angle of the rumble strip as per the rules unfortunately :(

full

The 4th image shows the sloped red and white strip is the back end of the rumble and the grey stuff is the track.. and has a massive red x saying it's not valid... anyway I went and beat that lap by .015 with slower splits, It was all down to a better bus stop and last turn 👍 but still some to come off as I was .2 faster through T2 on my previous best ..

What a highly addictive and super frustrating combo this is!! :cheers:

Sorry @Mr P As i se it you are out you are on the back of the rumble stripes

Just saw i’m the fastest div 2 driver and in front of 4 div 1 didn’t think that was posible :gtpflag:

starting to like this combo :cheers:

If those sloping parts of the rumble strips are illegal please remove my splits from the board, all of my saved laps would be dirty...
Unfortunaly yes they are but as long sa you are on the top of the curbs then you are good

If those sloping parts of the rumble strips are illegal please remove my splits from the board, all of my saved laps would be dirty...

I think the same can probably be said of me... looks like I need to keep going at some point.

Thanks for the info guys.. based on the last image from the OP it's actually a fail going on the back end of the rumble strip and you will get red flagged if you drive your right hand tyre on the outermost sloped angle of the rumble strip as per the rules unfortunately :(

full

The 4th image shows the sloped red and white strip is the back end of the rumble and the grey stuff is the track.. and has a massive red x saying it's not valid... anyway I went and beat that lap by .015 with slower splits, It was all down to a better bus stop and last turn 👍 but still some to come off as I was .2 faster through T2 on my previous best ..

What a highly addictive and super frustrating combo this is!! :cheers:

I think the same can probably be said of me... looks like I need to keep going at some point.

With any of this, we would start with the intent or spirit of the rule. This one is in place so that corners in which the rumble is the border of the track, you cannot end up with only the sidewall of the tires on track surface/rumble.

In the case of the chicane, there are rumble strips, but I would consider the barrier to be the track limit.

While I can understand why some may have interpreted the standard posted rule to relfect that being on the back of those rumbles would be dirty, I am not going to rule that way.

The chicane is hard enough without an onerous ruling regarding the rumble strip.

Apologies to any who might have tossed laps due to this, hopefully the replays remain saved.

Drive anywhere you want on those chicane rumbles, just don't hit the walls. 👍

@Mr P @mistersafeway @mcsqueegy

Sorry, I should have looked at Ron's video before replying. I assumed this related to the harbor chicane. In that one, the rumbles do not matter.

In the T1 chicane, the rumbles DO matter, and I would interpret a car on the downslope of those to be dirty.

I will look at my own lap as well, but I think I am intentionally cautious there.

edited :P then put it back as I was quoted :P

Glad I brought it up now.. shame I binned a good amount of laps and kept slogging away stupidly to get a fast clean lap for damn hours! now its ok to go against the rules and beat it freely because it suits some select drivers?? This series probably needs more set solid rules to stop people wasting countless hours trying to construct the perfect lap based on the rules and others are flaunting them ever so slightly but it's advantageous... and then they get the green light when others highlight it due to wonder why they are so fast in the first place??

Seriously what a waste of time staying up through the night to eventually put my best lap together within the rules pfft .. not running any more 👎

Last edited:
EDK
@Mr P @mistersafeway @mcsqueegy

Sorry, I should have looked at Ron's video before replying. I assumed this related to the harbor chicane. In that one, the rumbles do not matter.

In the T1 chicane, the rumbles DO matter, and I would interpret a car on the downslope of those to be dirty.

I will look at my own lap as well, but I think I am intentionally cautious there.

I posted a rant above whilst you posted this.. I agree with this completely 👍

Glad I brought it up now.. shame I binned a good amount of laps and kept slogging away stupidly to get a fast clean lap for damn hours! now its ok to go against the rules and beat it freely because it suits some select drivers?? This series probably needs more set solid rules to stop people wasting countless hours trying to construct the perfect lap based on the rules and others are flaunting them ever so slightly but it's advantageous... and then they get the green light when others highlight it due to wonder why they are so fast in the first place??

Seriously what a waste of time staying up through the night to eventually put my best lap together within the rules pfft .. not running any more 👎
This is the stuff I hate about doing this.

So what I will say.

The rumbles are boundary in the T1 chicane, and you need to have the contact surface of the tire on the rumble.

In your video, you DO have it.

The back side slope of the rumble is shaped differently here, this also came up at the Gardens layout.

So while the rumble, not the wall, is the boundary there, I would consider your posted video to be clean.

I will post some pics to clarify.

EDK
This is the stuff I hate about doing this.

So what I will say.

The rumbles are boundary in the T1 chicane, and you need to have the contact surface of the tire on the rumble.

In your video, you DO have it.

The back side slope of the rumble is shaped differently here, this also came up at the Gardens layout.

So while the rumble, not the wall, is the boundary there, I would consider your posted video to be clean.

Shame I binned it and any other lap that went there :P Sorry its stressing you out Kev but these are your rules.. don't post that little image with tyres and rumbles boundaries if you don't expect them to be followed.. I am done racing here now I have quite a bad taste in my mouth for trying to follow the rules to the letter and look like a $hit stirrer when I highlight it haha :lol:

Shame I binned it and any other lap that went there :P Sorry its stressing you out Kev but these are your rules.. don't post that little image with tyres and rumbles boundaries if you don't expect them to be followed.. I am done racing here now I have quite a bad taste in my mouth for trying to follow the rules to the letter and look like a $hit stirrer when I highlight it haha :lol:
The image is a one size fits all, and you know that we have to interpret from track to track. It's intended so that you cannot have only the sidewall of the tire on the very edge of the end of a more classic shaped rumble. Again, I will post photos.

I'm glad you are asking the questions, I would just prefer people not assume and jump to conclusions.

Will have a few pics shortly.

Ok, here are a couple pics to reflect intent. The contact patch of the tire needs to be on the rumble, the long downslope counts. Keep in mind the idea behind this rule is so you cannot have only the tire sidewall on the edge of a rumble with more of a cliff edge that drops abruptly.

First pic is clean, second one the front is obviously dirty, the rear is also dirty as only the sidewall of the tire is on rumble.

full

full

I raced until both tyres where on the ridge like the back tyre on pic 1.. anything on that slope like the front tyre on pic 1 I binned.. Thanks for highlighting the allowances more clearly so it's 3 wheels off and 1 on is good there 👍 I will try again later with this new allowance :cheers:

Please delete this image from the OP it is misleading ;)

full

Last edited:
I raced until both tyres where on the ridge like the back tyre on pic 1.. anything on that slope like the front tyre on pic 1 I binned.. Thanks for highlighting the allowances more clearly so it's 3 wheels off and 1 on is good there 👍 I will try again later with this new allowance :cheers:

Please delete this image from the OP it is misleading ;)

full
Thanks.

I will not be deleting the picf the OP.

I'm always happy to clarify rules, even when it means spending time that could otherwise be spent lapping.

We have standard rules for all events, and then track specific interpretations.

That pic does not show a rumble shaped like these at Dragon Trail, they are unique.

So now us who did a clean lap have to spend hours on inproving the to first corners now, now i know were i lost my 10’s in the sektors :banghead:🤬

I haven't run a single lap on this so I feel a bit of a 🤬 jumping in to be honest, feel free to tell me to butt out guys ( and I will too ).

But it seems pretty simple from the outside looking in? Tyre contact patch on the rumble is fine as we know, and ( although I could totally see someone including me if i ran getting caught out by forgetting the fact that the tyre sidewall-contact patch isn't a 90° turn, but instead there is that curved sort of join, but when getting that close it's always coming down to how willing to risk a red flag you are ) It's sloped but not exactly a "drop off", It's still a clear rumble strip just angled. So from my understanding of WRS rules aslong as the 'flat' contact patch area of the tyre is clearly above the rumble it would be fine.

I was really 50/50 on posting this so if anyone requests I will delete the post.

Hope everyone is keeping well 👍

It does look pretty simple until you consider past events like week 3 for example.. on a different track when a few drivers were red flagged for driving on that sloped bit of rumble at the back whilst pushing the fine line in the middle of a chicane.. Then it all gets so confusing as to when that part of the rumble is allowed to be used and when it is not :D:tup:

Not an identical rumble but still the angle is there...
20171218175549-jpg.700253

Anyway I'm done with this week and hopefully I haven't offended too many people in the process of my arguments ;)
GL to all in the results :cheers:

Last edited:
It's hard because of the shadow, but to me that's pretty different because the lateral distance on that very steep drop off is so short that it's pretty much impossible for anything other than just the sidewall of the tyre to be in contact? Whereas because the rumble at dragon tail is so wide it's definitely possible for the contact patch of the tyre to be on/above the rumble.

Maybe I have understood incorrectly since i started competing, but I always took it that the point of not driving on the angled drop off of a rumble is because it means that the sidewall would be in contact not the underside of the tyre, because the angle is much less on the dragon tail rumble, it is possible - so no problem?

It's hard because of the shadow, but to me that's pretty different because the lateral distance on that very steep drop off is so short that it's pretty much impossible for anything other than just the sidewall of the tyre to be in contact? Whereas because the rumble at dragon tail is so wide it's definitely possible for the contact patch of the tyre to be on/above the rumble.
This is exactly how I am interpreting it.

Back