GTP_WRS Week 132 : Screaming Monaco

• Thread starter EDK
  • 96 comments
Not much a fan of Monaco and I may not submit a replay this week but, here's my best splits from those 18 laps last night.

0:27.027
1:11.427

This car has a less than inspiring exhaust note and could benefit from some BB adjustments and probably be better on SM tires. Just not enough torques for RHs. I may take another run at this later in the week, if my eyes can stand it. Getting the lap times added to my spreadsheet and making this post is about all I want tonight I think. Catch ya'll tomorrow.
We tested RM but did not like what it did to the handling, more grip often causes more underwater.

You are allowed to adjust BB.

Pretty sure I said SM as in Sport Mediums, not RMs. The back end of this machine on racing tires just doesn't break loose unless you yank the front end around vigorously. It would probably still understeer during decel but it might rotate better under accel.

Yeah, I spotted the BB adjustment allowed and if I get a chance this weekend to listen to the bees again I'll be adjusting to somewhere in the neighborhood of 3/7. Might go so far as 1/9 and see how crazy that feels. All depends on how my eyes feel this weekend.

Reactions: EDK
Pretty sure I said SM as in Sport Mediums, not RMs. The back end of this machine on racing tires just doesn't break loose unless you yank the front end around vigorously. It would probably still understeer during decel but it might rotate better under accel.

Yeah, I spotted the BB adjustment allowed and if I get a chance this weekend to listen to the bees again I'll be adjusting to somewhere in the neighborhood of 3/7. Might go so far as 1/9 and see how crazy that feels. All depends on how my eyes feel this weekend.
I tried SMs on this car for an idea I had for Ascari, and it didn't solve the issue as you suspect. I'm running 3/7 and it helps on some turns and makes your life more difficult on others. But I'm not good enough with understeering cars so I still prefer it. I think it's my biggest unsolved flaw since joining WRS (Well personality aside :D) , to one day learn the proper technique to drive with understeer.

Reactions: EDK
I didn't actually suspect it would solve the understeer, putting on SM tires. What I was suggesting was it would redeem itself by having a touch of acceleration oversteer, being a middle/low powered car with no torques until you get the bees to really screaming, it desperately needs a redeeming quality or two. Or three. It is what it is however.

The only way I know to deal with understeer, without making mechanical adjustments, is to slow down. Which is contra-intuitive to anyone trying to go faster.

I didn't actually suspect it would solve the understeer, putting on SM tires. What I was suggesting was it would redeem itself by having a touch of acceleration oversteer, being a middle/low powered car with no torques until you get the bees to really screaming, it desperately needs a redeeming quality or two. Or three. It is what it is however.

The only way I know to deal with understeer, without making mechanical adjustments, is to slow down. Which is contra-intuitive to anyone trying to go faster.
Well, we also tested SS. I did not like what it did to lateral grip, so we ended up here. Monaco is an interesting track to set for a combo. You often need more tire than you otherwise would.

I personally like what my phone thinks of understeer. :lol:. Auto correct FTW.

Eye's felt good after my treatments this evening so put in about 30 minutes with a new, blue car with the BB set to 3/7. Running a clean lap 6/10ths up by sector then totally pooched the brake and turn in point at Rascasse. Finished the lap anyway 7/1000ths slower than best lap from last night. :banghead::irked::mad:

I checked the lap anyway and the 1st and 2nd sector times are legitimately my best. 🤬 a bunch a Monaco and those damn walls.

I'm planning to host the race tonight. Will be 31+1 laps on fast tire/fuel if we get it official. Else we can do some fun sprints.
Just copy paste the list and add your PSN-ID.
@MeisterFetz

Edit: ok, cancelled. Thanks to @PASMBart :cheers:

Last edited:
Still have time out there. I lost a bit at T1, gained a bit at T2. If I can pull it together it will be looking good :-)

Spent a good part of the day and night running this. I have seen split times way lower then what I have posted, but I keep screwing up those laps to no end.... I know I am no where near the pace I should be running, but I have hit a plateau where I don't see an end too.

Anyone have advise on overcoming a plateau?

I know from Karting everytime I hit a plateau it was just the telltale sign I was about to evolve. Sometimes it took months, other times just hours and a couple times it took a year. Just wondering how others deal with this.

Spent a good part of the day and night running this. I have seen split times way lower then what I have posted, but I keep screwing up those laps to no end.... I know I am no where near the pace I should be running, but I have hit a plateau where I don't see an end too.

Anyone have advise on overcoming a plateau?

I know from Karting everytime I hit a plateau it was just the telltale sign I was about to evolve. Sometimes it took months, other times just hours and a couple times it took a year. Just wondering how others deal with this.
I'll try my best to give you the best advice I know off, I'm sure others will chip in, however

There's been a time for most of us where we gain speed and we see it and then notice or feels like we aren't getting faster. I can remember that from many league races in GT5, and sometimes in GT6, How I have overcame it and become faster is by watching replays of faster racers. The number of times I have watched replays from previous races or practice races have helped me a lot. Seeing what lines / throttle-brake management they are doing.

Keep on TT and even Online races with WRS, this is the best place to improve your speed because the Top 10 or 15 or better can be a Top 3-5 in any other random League races on GTPlanet. If you have any questions about combos / tracks / cars. It never hurts to ask.

So Replays, racing Faster competition, Take your time, can't get faster in 1 day, took me a good year likely.

Hope this helps a little!

Phish

Decided to give this one a go after doing the WW race,which was lots of fun. A few small mistakes on this lap, but close to as good as I can do.

1'10.5833

Last edited:
No improvement after all, even though I finally figured out how to get into the 26.7s, couldn't string together T2 and T3. Time submitted, if I did it right...

Well time submitted and accepted :-). I feel a little defeated this week, but it is giving me more reasons to push harder. Although I am not quite known by most here at the WRS, there are a few people that do know me from racing with me and just chatting here on GTP.

Just 3 weeks back to playing GT6 and the first thing I realized was that I had lost a lot of pace and a lot of speed. Reviewing the standings in the WRS I have never pushed hard to move up in class. The 'No ABS' method has significantly improved racecraft to no ends in just a short time. I plan on continuing using this method.

@Ph1sher thanks for the advice, still pushing harder over here. Even saw some 26.8s and 70.9s during my TT for this week. All of them exploded in spin outs, run outs and Catastrophic Wall Failures. None the less the time submitted is that, the time submitted. It could have been .6xx faster so that is why the feeling of defeat.

Bring on next week. I hope my schedule does not interfere with running laps ;-) godspeed fellow WRS racers :-).

Updated Splits , Another 2 tenths at the line.

@GTP_Ph7shr that first sector of yours is mighty , It's the first corner that gets me every time just not getting the turn in i desire. Still gonna have a few more runs ,

26.567 ----- :banghead:
1:10.017

Let's try this one last time ...

@miata13B Advice are like opinions and everyone has one or more. So here's some from one who started very poorly in GT5. If you're not watching tape (replays) as much or more than actual seat time, your doing yourself a disservice. I would also advise you pick those drivers who are not leaps and bounds faster than you are now. Grab replays of those folks that are a half second or so faster and watch them, from the same view you drive in. Although it can help with the science of go faster, you don't really need to focus on the telemetry side of the replay. Just relax and absorb what it looks and feels like to do it faster than you currently are. I cannot stress that word enough either. RELAX. Try not to let those negative emotions (aggravation, disappointment, frustration, anger, rage etc.) rule you when a mistake is made. Just do it better next time. Once you've achieved the speed of the those folks you've been watching go watch someone who's another half second faster.

Natural talent will only take you so far. After that, getting better takes work, and lots of it. 10,000 hours is what's been touted as being required to "master" any discipline. That's about 5, 40hour/week work years. That is not to say once you've spent those 10,000 hours there's nothing more to learn or achieve.

On another note. It doesn't look like I'll have time to go after that 6/10 I lost at Rascasse. If I can fit it in tonight I'll try to get and submit it. Doubtful at the moment so it's likely I'll fall off the leaderboard. A little bummed my eyes didn't cooperate yesterday. :(

Updated Splits , Another 2 tenths at the line.

@GTP_Ph7shr that first sector of yours is mighty , It's the first corner that gets me every time just not getting the turn in i desire. Still gonna have a few more runs ,

26.567 ----- :banghead:
1:10.017

Let's try this one last time ...
Thanks Ghost! and great splits by you as well 👍

Looks like you found a little extra speed in T2 that most of us havent found yet. I cant wait to watch your fastest lap replay later tonight when the TT closes to find out where you are gaining .2xx on me in T2 roughly.

I brake pretty early in 2nd gear in turn 1 and get right back on it and try to do a mid to late apex on corner 1. If braked around the correct time, it frees up the car and your able to punch the gas a lot earlier.

I brake pretty early in 2nd gear in turn 1 and get right back on it and try to do a mid to late apex on corner 1. If braked around the correct time, it frees up the car and your able to punch the gas a lot earlier.

I Will try that , I've been taking it in third gear and braking late :) with BB @ 3/7

Back