GTP_WRS Week 169 : Rich Man's WRS

• Thread starter EDK
  • 134 comments
Anyone vote for a "Track101" forum section? Is there anything like that already in the forum?
It's kind of a tough ask, because the approach can be so car dependent.

So you end up needing to search it out on your own, in places like this -

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gtp_wrs-videos-op-summary.187711/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5GQaQ9LSflKciWs5_Yisbg

And the last, most important one would be the laps that remain in the leaderboard perpetually.

Last time we ran here. http://wrs.gtplanet.net/GT6/results/52/

And the pace of the car is similar to the current combo. ;)

Yes. I understand that each combo has its nature...

Ok. Last one then I'll stop: never thought about a kind of "tutorial online lobby"? a lobby with a tutor watching our laps and giving some "live" advice? @EDK ? :embarrassed:

Yes. I understand that each combo has its nature...

Ok. Last one then I'll stop: never thought about a kind of "tutorial online lobby"? a lobby with a tutor watching our laps and giving some "live" advice? @EDK ? :embarrassed:
Yeah, we used to do that on Saturday mornings, when there was a lot of interest for such a thing.

Next closest thing these days is probably our unofficial Friday night room. That's going to be on the late side for you (or maybe even the early side on Saturday). :)

Normally it peaks between 1 am and 7 am, current GMT time. So you might be able to catch a few guys who have had a few beers on your Saturday morning. :lol:

tI didn't know about the online friday/saturday thing, I'll gladly join in case of insomnia 👍 Do you run races or just drive freely? And what club do I have to join?

tI didn't know about the online friday/saturday thing, I'll gladly join in case of insomnia 👍 Do you run races or just drive freely? And what club do I have to join?
You would need to be in GTP_WRS, which we use for our online races. Start here, if you have not done it already.

It might start earlier sometimes, if the EU guys set up the room. I just know when the NA guys normally make it on.

It's VERY casual, so you have been warned.

Friday between 1AM and 7AM GMT? I'll bring some pizza and a pillow!
Welcome Maxskuk 👍 I usually go for one hour sessions if at all possible, it takes at least 10 laps for warming up and getting closer to my current best ghost, then after lap 20 I might start to see some blue numbers. Often find the benchmark lap on my first session early in the week, and the following days I hunt for tenths mostly. I am on a DS3. Manual, manual, manual: You can be a lot slower on some cars if you drive automatic, either because the auto shifts too early or too late for the sweetspot in the engine's torque peak. Not to mention the added pleasure of waiting til the exact moment for shifting. There's many ways to map your buttons on a DS3, I use X for throttle, O for brakes, R2 and L2 for shifting. Find one that's comfortable for you and practice.
Regarding Q&A, just ask dude 👍 Most people here are glad to help others :gtpflag:

Not gonna add anything about Cape Ring Inside because you have been given a track guide by the master himself :bowdown:
Great guide dude :cheers:

EDK
Turn 1, I am using the curb on track right as a reference, but braking probably half a car length before it. I trail brake to the apex and release brake right as I am getting to it. You normally can hit full throttle right there, but then you are managing the line with partial throttle through the next couple of corners.

I think people may have a tendency to think of the next series of right hand corners (double right) as one corner, but if you do this, you compromise the line. It's best to take it as a double apex, come out to the left exiting the first half, then lift to set up for the second half.

Key is that for the next corner to the right you ARE trying the keep the car track right on exit to set up for the next left hand corner. Goal should be to be on full throttle on entering this (left hand) corner, if you are not you have thrown away the wrong corner.

You get onto a deceptively long straight, in that the esses are very high speed, so you are trying to build up and maintain momentum through them. You should be able to manage those esses with lift only, the curbs are dangerous, but I think it's generally necessary to take some curb in order to maximize your speed. You want to set up all the way right and lift enough to get the car to left apex on the first one, then come back on throttle and manage as much throttle as you can trough the next right.

For the subsequent long left sweeper, it's important to get the car down in the groove for the early part of the turn. The track has a lot of natural camber that will allow you to carry this corner with more speed, use it. What I did notice with this car was that allowing it to drift out right while grabbing 5th as you get up in the top of the RPM's in 4th is generally a bit faster. Don't just let it hang out near redline in 4th until the crest of the hill.

Once over the crest, I set up left but use the rumble strip that's track right for my brake marker. The end of the rumble is a good reference point, you may need to brake a bit before it. This is one of only 2 full braking zones on the lap, you again want to trail brake down to the first (right) apex.

The last couple of turns are quite important to the lap. For the quad apex left hander, the important apexes to hit are the first and the last. You can get away with a lot in between. You should be able to manage all of this with lift only, no brake needed. But get to that last apex at the right time with the right speed. If you carry a bit too much or hit the apex too early, you will smack that exit curb and spin the car into the inside concrete wall. Every. Time. ;)

Hope that helps. 👍

the sweetspot in the engine's torque peak
How do I find the sweet spot? Is it by trial and error? I know there is the chart in setup menu that shows this, but it's no precise enough to tell RPM of the peak (or am I reading it wrong?)

How do I find the sweet spot? Is it by trial and error? I know there is the chart in setup menu that shows this, but it's no precise enough to tell RPM of the peak (or am I reading it wrong?)
A couple options -

1. Try different things within the combo with your ghost on, see how you compare to the baseline of your ghost.

2. And my preferred method - Download a user created 400m and/or 1000m test course (straightline) and go test different options there. Work to be consistent with managing your launch and isolate your shift point as the only variable. Take what you have learned and still try #1, as sometimes elevation changes and other factors can make it different on the track we are running vs. a straight and level surface.

EDK
A couple options -

1. Try different things within the combo with your ghost on, see how you compare to the baseline of your ghost.

2. And my preferred method - Download a user created 400m and/or 1000m test course (straightline) and go test different options there. Work to be consistent with managing your launch and isolate your shift point as the only variable. Take what you have learned and still try #1, as sometimes elevation changes and other factors can make it different on the track we are running vs. a straight and level surface.

That :D If only customer service was that fast :lol: :crazy:

Welcome Maxskuk 👍 I usually go for one hour sessions if at all possible, it takes at least 10 laps for warming up and getting closer to my current best ghost, then after lap 20 I might start to see some blue numbers. Often find the benchmark lap on my first session early in the week, and the following days I hunt for tenths mostly. I am on a DS3. Manual, manual, manual: You can be a lot slower on some cars if you drive automatic, either because the auto shifts too early or too late for the sweetspot in the engine's torque peak. Not to mention the added pleasure of waiting til the exact moment for shifting. There's many ways to map your buttons on a DS3, I use X for throttle, O for brakes, R2 and L2 for shifting. Find one that's comfortable for you and practice.
Regarding Q&A, just ask dude 👍 Most people here are glad to help others :gtpflag:

Not gonna add anything about Cape Ring Inside because you have been given a track guide by the master himself :bowdown:
Great guide dude :cheers:

Thanks @roamer2629 . Looks like a date to me! :cool:
Friday then? Shall/May I bring someone/something?

P.S.
Hope most everyone appreciated this spicy "detour"!

Anyone vote for a "Track101" forum section? Is there anything like that already in the forum?

Best thing I have found is to look where the track has been used in a previous time trial week, then usually there is a replay of one of the fastest laps in the results thread (or if not you can download the GT6 replays) where you can watch and learn the fastest track lines. The car is different but the lines are often the same.

Practicing with others always helps. I find after I do the WRS race on Saturday I almost immediately improve my laptime

short 15 lap session today, I wish I could put in some more. I like how this car has number 20 painted on the body, it's like a reminder of it's price lol. Goes well with silver chrome paint :sly:

Curbs on this track in a nutshell (3:19) :

Big improvement on T2 but I messed up T3 and made little progress overall... I just can't land decent T3 today, I have no idea how to approach it anymore.

EDK
The last couple of turns are quite important to the lap. For the quad apex left hander, the important apexes to hit are the first and the last. You can get away with a lot in between.

I can't wait to see your replay, because hitting the last apex just doesn't seem to work for me. I lose too much momentum by trying to match the speed needed to hit that 4th apex. Hitting 3rd apex works a bit better for me, but still it's not good enough. In my previous best lap I was much faster in T3 by some lucky freestyle and even watching my own replay I don't get it lol. What a tricky section.

Big improvement on T2 but I messed up T3 and made little progress overall... I just can't land decent T3 today, I have no idea how to approach it anymore.

I can't wait to see your replay, because hitting the last apex just doesn't seem to work for me. I lose too much momentum by trying to match the speed needed to hit that 4th apex. Hitting 3rd apex works a bit better for me, but still it's not good enough. In my previous best lap I was much faster in T3 by some lucky freestyle and even watching my own replay I don't get it lol. What a tricky section.
It's probably because I am not concerning myself at all with the 3rd one. I feel like a reference point for on throttle is needed, but I am likely on it before I get to that apex. To me, if you don't get to it and carry enough momentum, you end up in that exit rumble and the wall.

Might be that not all agree with me.

EDK
It's probably because I am not concerning myself at all with the 3rd one. I feel like a reference point for on throttle is needed, but I am likely on it before I get to that apex. To me, if you don't get to it and carry enough momentum, you end up in that exit rumble and the wall.

Might be that not all agree with me.

Interesting. I can't wait to see how different people tackled this section :) The learning aspect is the best part of WRS for me (both from my own efforts and from you guys, thanks!)

Feel free to remove my splits from the leaderboard.. wont be submitting. Thanks

Feel free to remove my splits from the leaderboard.. wont be submitting. Thanks
Done. I saw you have the beta, and I know you are not happy with us right now anyhow.

Have fun over there, hope to see you on track soon. 👍

Too much kerb through the essess!!!! 20170414_120550.jpg

First hundred kms., I'm trying hard this week, but have to rely on sunday and monday to get a decent time. As a div3, a decent time would be nothing too complicated ....., just a div3 time :irked: !!

Happy Easter to all :cheers:

Back