GTP_WRS Week 21 : Official Results

EDK and the rest of WRS, thank you for you efforts, and bring on the news, because is a pity to see so little submissions :nervous:

2nd that. Got to figure out a way to entice the Div 5 guys to come out and play too. Only a few here and there over the past 4-5 weeks at least.

Hopefully potential new drivers see the level of cooperation here and the fact that the faster drivers are very helpful and it's a place to really improve and take your GT5 experience to the next level.

I think anyone can get something out of the WRS whether they put in 2 or 12+ hours in any given week. Not sure a single 30 minute session would amount to much so there is at least some commitment required, but certainly doesn't have to be every week and can pick and choose as time permits.

I think a lot of drivers prefer the immediate satisfaction of a live race -- even though many of those turn out to be punting contests. If IDOR catches on maybe the two together will be strong enough to attract some more participation as I could see them feeding off one another. IDOR providing a bit of that "live" satisfaction and WRS providing that technical edge it takes to make the most of the track/car. And nobody of course would be required to do both if they don't want.

Incredible consistency Zubski - All 3 of your laps were faster than my very best!

EDK and the rest of WRS, thank you for you efforts, and bring on the news, because is a pity to see so little submissions :nervous:
Same, Maybe ask Jordan for some front page action :sly:

@Zubski, sweet driving man!

Lap1- 42.136
Lap2- 42.134
Lap3- 42.157 ... boo lap 3 :P

Holy cow... In my dreams. Canada is NTSC right? I wanna see this!

My only advice on upload replay is to rename it something like GTP_WRS_Week_21_Replay-GTP_Subski.zip before uploading. But no big deal.

Well done to all division winners and podiums.

I love Tim's chart. I'd post my own splits for it too but after L1-T1 (14.969) I'd quickly drop off the chart. I hope Fuji suits me better.

All the best,
S

Thanks everyone! It took alot of seat time to get my lap down to .100 and after that even more seat time to do 3 .100's in a row.

Noob question, what does NTSC stand for?

GTP_JBRINKLEY
gflagjn4.gif

Clean laps, tires match specs, times match submission. I noticed one difference from my approach is you got back to 3rd *much* quicker on turn 1... not sure if that was the only difference, but you beat me pretty good in T1 over all three laps.

GTP_teecro
gflagjn4.gif

Clean laps, tires match specs, times match submission. You also beat me and were very good in T1 with three 14.9xx's. You carried about 3 mph more around the apex in turn 1 than I did and looked smooth. I think in turns 3/4 you could have chopped more off the corner and saved a bit versus using up all the outside... Hitting a couple 17.1XX's in T2 was all that kept you from the podium as your other sectors were really consistent.

GTP_Zubski

Tires match specs. The total time I calculate for your three laps (42.134, 42.136, 42.157) is 2'06.427 and you posted 2'06.426... not a big deal I would assume, but that's up to the admins. What I really need a 2nd opinion on is L1/Turn 8. You are so close there I think it warrants a 2nd opinion. I'll post a couple stills in a second from photo mode.

Here are the photos from Lap 1, Turn 8 for Zubski. They are from slightly different pause points, but very close. Update: My wife and son think you are legal for what it's worth :)

AutumnRingMini-1.jpg

AutumnRingMini.jpg

Last edited:
@WRP - Thanks for the review. 👍 I know exactly what you mean about turns 3 and 4. I had no choice but to hit it that way because of consistency issues that plagued me. I could never hit the line I had wanted to through there so I had just settled. I'm a fan of FR's and driving the FF through there is what got me. I like being able to push my rear with the FR. And I think way back to GT1 and GT2 where I could never drive FR's and now I swear by them.:lol:

-----

EDIT: I also think it had to do with using British Racing Green instead of Lightning Blue. ;):lol:

@WRP - Thanks for the review. 👍 I know exactly what you mean about turns 3 and 4. I had no choice but to hit it that way because of consistency issues that plagued me. I could never hit the line I had wanted to through there so I had just settled. I'm a fan of FR's and driving the FF through there is what got me. I like being able to push my rear with the FR. And I think way back to GT1 and GT2 where I could never drive FR's and now I swear by them.:lol:

-----

EDIT: I also think it had to do with using British Racing Green instead of Lightning Blue. ;):lol:

Totally. Tim used the white one, not sure what JB or Kristof used, but ... it MUST be the color. :lol:

Also, my view on turn 4 is that it was slightly faster to not hit any grass on the right. Cutting it short might be a shorter distance, but I don't know how many times I watched my ghost pass me up when I tried using the grass. I think there was a slight traction loss by the right front tire when hitting that grass. Could have been unrelated to the grass though, could have easily just been the seesaw effect from turns 2 and 3.

A thought about getting back on the power in this beast: It had a turbo meter, so I felt like getting back on the power (starting at 30-40%) very early to spool it up, and slowly getting up to 100%, minimizing the smoke and spinning, was probably important. Not really sure I did this optimally very often on the turns that mattered... Still want to know how much smoke the aliens were making. ??

Gravitron
Tim used the white one, not sure what JB or Kristof used, but ... it MUST be the color. :lol:

Also, my view on turn 4 is that it was slightly faster to not hit any grass on the right.

Still want to know how much smoke the aliens were making. ??

I kept switching colors... I think I only used white for 30 minutes total and it got me my PR.

As far as turn 4, I did not try to touch grass there either but tried to set right front tire right on curbing. Turn 3 I cut a lot and it sped me up and allowed shorter arc.

Watch zubski's laps. He used the whole track and was faster than us thru all big apex turns 1 and 2. He did downshift on 5 and didn't on 2 which is where I ended, but he did it better. He cut 8 as close as a razor as you can see above -- every lap, but closest on lap 1. Cutting 6/7/8/9 as close as possible made a difference I think.

Hard to compare closely without analyzer.

I grabbed all the PAL replays posted sofar:

1---2'05.805---GTP_w-g-e
gflagjn4.gif

2---2'05.896---GTP_Twissy
gflagjn4.gif
42.065+41.991+41.841= 2'05.897 One digit mistake
3---2'06.352---GTP_Yanaran
gflagjn4.gif

1---2'06.968---GTP_poolhaas
gflagjn4.gif

2---2'08.972---GTP_Bloodimayhem
gflagjn4.gif

w-g-e used 3rd gear all around.
TwistedMetal used 2nd gear for turn 1 and 3rd gear the rest of lap.
I used 4th gear on the straith before turn 1 and 3rd gear everywhere else.

Yea , congrats all division winners and podium finishers 👍

My first division win in GT5 WRS :cheers: , last one must have been in Div3 back in GT5P
Also first time in top 3 overall :lol:

My laps were:
42.008 14.862/17.006/10.140
42.060 14.813/17.074/10.173
41.975 14.830/17.122/10.023

here's the replay for verification:

Attachments

• GTP_MadMax86 GT5 WRS 21.zip
    537.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the verification Max!
I struggled with gears this week so I appreciate feed back on what others ran with, helps me get better whilst still learning to use my wheel.
Cheers All !!!

Here's my replay, congrats to all the div. podium winners, good driving.👍

Resubmitting my replay, had the wrong folder structure the first time.

Sorry for the confusion.

Attachments

• WRS_Week_21_Replay_GTP_MilleRSVR.zip
    523.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Thanks for that info, Max, about gear choices for you and the other fast guys. 👍 Also a big congrats on your win! (and amazing consistency :drool:)

Reminds me that I still had more things to try there, why I didn't mix it up a bit...I don't know. I also had meant to go purchase a Mini from the dealer and check out its power curves...woulda/shoulda/coulda.

The thought of going back to a combo after results are published has occurred to me quite often, but this might be the first time I actually go back and retry one. 👍

GTP_MadMax86 -
gflagjn4.gif

Congratulations on the division win, 3 clean and consistant laps 👍 and a nice drift attempt in the end :)

And thanks for checking my replay too.

I grabbed all the PAL replays posted sofar:

w-g-e used 3rd gear all around.
TwistedMetal used 2nd gear for turn 1 and 3rd gear the rest of lap.
I used 4th gear on the straith before turn 1 and 3rd gear everywhere else.

Funny, in the limited laps I ran this combo, I was thinking that it might be fastest to just use 3rd all around, to maintain momentum.

Reminds me of this. :dopey:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3152484#post3152484

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3154407#post3154407

Thanks for checking MadMax, and very nice consistent laps. I thought I would be closer with all 3 laps added. :)

Thanks for the comments. I wasn´t so consistent this week though. I wouldn´t have won this week without the help of these people:

- Thanks to Twissy for the battle. You would have beaten me for sure with more seat time. Great way to make it into the WRS.
- Thanks to Philip for the advice and the color.:D
- Thanks to Cico for advice. He made me think about using 3rd gear in the first corner. I was instantly faster at T1.
- Thanks to Pekka for checking my replay.👍
- Thanks to Kevin for posting my replay and organising another great combo.👍

As you see I didn´t really deserve it, but I was lucky enough to get all this help. See you in week 23.

Yes I´m on holiday, just a quick post.:)

To shift or not to shift? That *was* the question :)

Answer: Darn, I shouldn't have shifted.

Seriously though, not shifting took enough accuracy with speed on the sharper turns to keep enough speed not to get bogged down on exit and not too much to get out of shape. I managed to convert my approach at turn 2 and experimented unsuccessfully on turn 5. Never even considered Turn 1, but I should of at least tried.

I think Zubski's laps shows that shifting down on turn 5 could still get you some pretty sweet lap times too.

So you guys analyze power curves or just realize this car had a slow gearbox for shifts? What factors (modeled in GT5 at least) would have influenced that decision either way -- under the assumption we couldn't adjust gears of course?

So you guys analyze power curves or just realize this car had a slow gearbox for shifts? What factors (modeled in GT5 at least) would have influenced that decision either way -- under the assumption we couldn't adjust gears of course?

The best thing you can do it just try different approaches against your own ghost after you are in a rhythm, and then see what's fastest.

Why would it have been considered to begin with?

This car has a relatively wide spread between transmission ratios, it shifts slowly, and it's low powered. Making things even more complicated was the wheel spin in second. Plus the fact that it ran out of steam toward redline, requiring a short shift to stay in the power.

@EDK: Thanks and makes sense.

@Gravitron & Teecro: I would have kept shifting into 2nd on turn 2 and not made the podium if it weren't for your advice... hope you don't regret giving it :sly:

Another thing I didn't do, and I can't explain why, but seems obvious now after with 20/20 hindsight after watching some replays (Zubski's in particular), is use up every single inch of track and rumble before entry into the two biggest turns (1 & 2). That's driving 101 that I failed to implement properly and probably would have opened up gear 3 throughout a lot earlier. :dunce:

(sorry for the double post, meant to edit the first, but hit quote) :dunce::dunce:

@EDK: Thanks and makes sense.

@Gravitron & Teecro: I would have kept shifting into 2nd on turn 2 and not made the podium if it weren't for your advice... hope you don't regret giving it :sly:

Not at all, sharing to make each other better is one of the best parts of WRS...OK, I'll admit to a few seconds of regret for that exact piece of advice ;), but nothing that would influence future opportunities for sharing. 👍

I more regret not trying different strategies "outside my box" of (un)consciousness. :dunce:

WOW I didnt even realize i cut it that close:ouch:. I really hope it does count:nervous:. When I was watching the reply I saw that the back tires were on the rumble strip and it never occured that the fronts were that close.

I tried down shifting and not shifting everywhere I could muliple times to see which was faster. And not shifting in 2 and down shifting in 5 is what worked for me. I was trying not to shift down in 5 but when i hit the brakes i got worried i slowed down to much and kinda paniced into a lower gear.

WOW I didnt even realize i cut it that close:ouch:. I really hope it does count:nervous:. When I was watching the reply I saw that the back tires were on the rumble strip and it never occured that the fronts were that close.

The car has a serious slide to the right at this point so even though it looks like you might be headed further on the grass, that's not the case. So I think this is the critical shot -- or at least the few frames around this. It's so hard to freeze where you want in the replay.

I've only been around for about 4 weeks and your not in my division so didn't think it was fair for me to make a call so close when it concerns a podium. Not sure if anyone else has looked at it yet that might have more experience? To me if you are "assumed clean until proven dirty" then the lap is probably clean. If you have to "prove you are over curbing" then it's close. I just don't have enough history with the WRS to know how they judge these. Good luck.

In any case, that was awesome precision and consistent driving and a joy to watch... except for the fact that I thought "why can't I drive like that?".

Also, I see a few other people got the addition wrong on the 3rd decimal... Did you use that website (linked in the combo thread) to add up your lap times? I think that code is using "floating point data type" to store the numbers and those aren't guaranteed to be accurate beyond a certain precision... Someone else pointed out there were odd digits added to the numbers when they added like 1.999989 instead of just 2.0 I'm pretty sure that type of error is not a big deal, but just wondering if using that site is the best idea.

Back