GTP_WRS Week 26 : Mazda is as Mazda Does

• Thread starter EDK
  • 473 comments
Submitted and accepted (after scrutinising my replay), will definitely give this another shot though đź‘Ť

Whether I can get anywhere near that final sector is another matter :lol:

Oh this has been fun today. I always use an automatic gearbox but today I thought let's grab the bull (Mazda) by the horns an go manual. the first 30 minutes I really needed to get used to it because sometimes I forgot to change gears. But after half an hour I became more confident and slowly but surely started to approach my best time with the automatic gearbox. And now after 1 hour and 45 minutes I am 1,267 seconds ahead at the line! What a magnificent learningcurve this has been! can't wait to have an other go tonight. Unbelievable I was so foolish to think that it would take an enormous amount of time and effort to become quicker with a manual. So I here by swear never to poke that automatic abomination again!

So I lost a bit of time in sector 1 and a bit more in sector 3 but I was able to win a lot of time in T3 an T4.

1'17.467

I appreciate the help you've given me in the post prior to this one!

Cheers:cheers:,

Kevin
coffee.gif

Sounds like someone will be in line for a promotion soon...
twocents.gif

After watching that vett video, I know where I'm losing time... cut the corners to within a mm of the rules... ;), got it...

After watching that vett video, I know where I'm losing time... cut the corners to within a mm of the rules... ;), got it...

Make sure you get the angle correct or you'll just be losing time. This car doesn't shift weight as much as the vette.

Here's something I've never thought of. I run with ABS 5, whereas everyone else runs ABS 1. Is this going to effect my performance for better/worse?

I'm starting to get 27.7 sector 1's but I'm getting too excited and forgetting to turn in the next corner :dopey:

This is one of my favorite tracks (behind road atlanta) and I still have no idea how to take turn 5 properly. That's where I'm losing all the most time. I may take off the racing brakes to see if I can brake more effectively.

I have that with at least one corner on every track except one track (more or less).

Turn 5 is by far the hardest turn ever in the history of turning. Always blow a good start there :/

@DTM also loves this turn

True

Soon as I get a 1'14.9 split and a good T3 I'm calling it a day! It certainly won't be me going for the win, I'll leave that to you, Dennis or someone else :D

False

You have (way) to much faith in me :lol: But thanks anyway đź‘Ť

Went to the local dealer and drove directly to the circuit and the first half hour stint brought me these splits.

1'17.212

could have been already half a second faster but drove over the astroturf. :ill:

1'14.935

Slight balls up in sector 3 (only very slight....), started getting some really quick sectors there in this session, but this one was merely 'average' - rest of the lap was good though. I'll try for another tenth, but not til Monday as I'm off on tour over the weekend to watch The Open =D

SOME EDITS BELOW! ACHTUNG!

So, the thing you need to know, is....stay in 3rd gear for turn 4 (first right hander of T2). There is no need to brake, but do not lift too much, because you do not want to go under 79mph. At the outer kerb you should be 80 or 81 and then fire it down towards the hellish turn 5 of death, doom and despair.

I also like to early shift for the only time in the lap after the corkscrew - do not exceed 77/78 mph going down the hill towards the left hander, or you will disappear into the world of understeer and grip loss, perhaps even sand-castle building.

So - turn 5 - brake just before the 2 board and accelerate earlier than you think from no lower than 65mph, if the line is right and you can do so. This turn is massively BANKED from right to left - I'm sure Kevin's experienced quite how banked it is, I'd imagine you could roll down it - so it means in the game at least you can run out quite wide and be pretty early on the power, relative to all the other flat turns, hitting the kerb slightly at around 69mph.

Last edited:
First splits, bad T1 and leaving around 2-3 tenths on track, which are pretty hard to find though. đź‘Ť

1'15.072

I had another go this evening. And still improving my shifting :D.

1'16.783

Yes. The only time I would think about using higher setting would be if changing BB was not allowed and the car had super hard tires.

Whoa, slow down and wait for me :)

No, not necessarily. :sly: I have to disagree my fellow 'rat with your definite "yes" answer. I have used ABS 10 before with great success, even in events when BB was allowed to be changed. It doesn't slow you down at all, all it does is shift the grip from braking to corner grip. If you have the BB adjusted right, it can be very advantageous depending on the car and track. I test this out on each and every TT I run....sometimes it helps, other times it makes no difference but never have I come across an instance where it hurt me.

I'm sure @EDK will disagree with me here as I think we had this discussion before, :mischievous: but I am sticking to my guns on this one. :P

First splits after first session tonight.
1'15.800

Will hopefully fit in another session to try and improve!

No, not necessarily. :sly: I have to disagree my fellow 'rat with your definite "yes" answer. I have used ABS 10 before with great success, even in events when BB was allowed to be changed. It doesn't slow you down at all, all it does is shift the grip from braking to corner grip. If you have the BB adjusted right, it can be very advantageous depending on the car and track. I test this out on each and every TT I run....sometimes it helps, other times it makes no difference but never have I come across an instance where it hurt me.

I'm sure @EDK will disagree with me here as I think we had this discussion before, :mischievous: but I am sticking to my guns on this one. :P
It can hurt since it completely shuts down any chance of oversteer on entry. Problematic for a nose-heavy car, possibly. Of course, that might be a good thing, depending on the car.

I think ABS1 is mostly best and that ABS 10 is a placebo - albeit a very powerful one - and placebos are very powerful things, but I can't prove it and have also had success with ABS 10, so yeah - try it out - try everything out, if it works because science or because not - so what! =)

High BB in this combo does not work, though - I tried 6s and 7s and it felt a bit like washing dishes with a sledgehammer.

Last edited:
Listen to the wiser rat. He has done way more testing and tuning.

My experience was:
ABS0 = holy smokes!
ABS1 = yeah, that's much gooder
ABS5 or more = why am I not slowing down?

High BB in this combo does not work, though - I tried 6s and 7s and I felt a bit like washing dishes with a sledgehammer.
I'm still trying to figure what the Racing Brakes actually gain you, other than shorter stopping distances...which can be gained by higher BB with Standard Brakes. Am I missing something here?
Best I can tell Racing Brakes at 5/5 are akin to Standard Brakes at 8/8 or 9/9.

I'm still trying to figure what the Racing Brakes actually gain you, other than shorter stopping distances...which can be gained by higher BB with Standard Brakes. Am I missing something here?
Best I can tell Racing Brakes at 5/5 are akin to Standard Brakes at 8/8 or 9/9.

I don't know either.

Just use 3/5 with racing brakes - job done sir! :lol:

I think ABS1 is mostly best and that ABS 10 is a placebo - albeit a very powerful one - and placebos are very powerful things, but I can't prove it and have also had success with ABS 10, so yeah - try it out - try everything out, if it works because science or because not - so what! =)

High BB in this combo does not work, though - I tried 6s and 7s and I felt a bit like washing dishes with a sledgehammer.

That's just what I do, I go through and try everything out and then log it into my GT6 notes with what works, what doesn't, and what hurts. Like I said, in my case, I have never had high ABS settings hurt me, ever.

Btw, you should see my GT6 note book so far, it looks like a New York City phone book on steroids. :lol: I note everything. :crazy:

1'14.935

So, the thing you need to know, is....stay in 3rd gear for turn 3. There is no need to brake, but do not lift too much, because you do not want to go under 79mph. At the outer kerb you should be 80 or 81 and then fire it down towards the hellish turn 5 of death, doom and despair.

Nice splits sir!

Don't you mean turn 4?

This is one of my favorite tracks (behind road atlanta) and I still have no idea how to take turn 5 properly. That's where I'm losing all the most time. I may take off the racing brakes to see if I can brake more effectively.
Which begs the question: Can we downgrade the specs or must we adhere strictly? Not even sure if fetchy would accept a submission with any changes to the prescribed setup.

Make sure you get the angle correct or you'll just be losing time. This car doesn't shift weight as much as the vette.

How right you are, I thought it would be as straight forward as "same line, just earlier", not so...

After a few runs at extreme corner cutting;

1'15.515

I dropped a lot of time drifting out of turn 3 (hence bad s2), but I'm taking turn 5 at 83mph with only a slight lift.

Latest Posts

Back