GTP_WRS Week 47 : Mazda RX-8 @ Daytona Road

• Thread starter Sjaak
  • 67 comments
I found a good line up and don't want to leave it :lol:
Best lap so far
1'59.778
What's the go when they hit 200kph? Do they throw invisible anchors out??
No Christmas cards for Elise drivers I tell ya:grumpy:

Finally got round to having a go, looking at everyone's times, I'm sure I'm running the wrong combo! Anyway, got a fastest lap (and a 'don't you dare drive ours like that from the wife!):

2'03.773

Please take my lap off the board for now - it is part of a dirty run. Saw some really weird stuff last night - while coming out of the infield I was side by side with one of the Skyline's and he really didn't accelerate like I did. At 560PP vs 700PP I would have thought he would blow me away - these AI cars can be such a pain sometimes - I had planned to draft him and improve my lap time but he didn't cooperate, the moron. :)

Just ran a nice 1'59.879 then trashed the 1`58 i had coming the next lap... :(

Best Lap Time:1'58.933 :)

Ive had quicker,but the AI are not very happy about me overtaking them :ouch:

the AI has such a stupid logic that i'm having no fun with it.. they crash because of nothing, stop in the middle of the track, etc... :mad: i'll quit sorry.. will be back on the next week maybe 👍

This is the first multi-lap AI race WRS I'm trying, and I have to say it isn't going well. I do wish the AI would disappear but sadly they do not. By the end of the first bus stop I've caught them, assuming I haven't completely missed my braking points because they are all throwing dust everywhere!

If I'm reeeaally lucky I manage to stay out of the way into the hairpin right after T1 so the super-late-braking muppet behind me doesn't punt me off, losing a stack of time by going offline...and round and round it goes.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is this exactly how these WRS events go down with the AI? I tried to get different line-ups but I always get the same two Skyline coupes at the back and the same Evo that goes off at turn 1...not to mention the two parked Elises around the track in the middle of the road.

Someone please tell me if I'm missing something or is this just how it is with the AI and this event?

Eitherway, my best lap was 1'58.666 despite having to take drastic measures at turn 3 not to get caught in a gridlock! I don't think it can go on the board though because the whole run had AI touches right?

I'll see if I can clean up a bit maybe with some advice from more experienced runners.

All the best
Maz

This is the first multi-lap AI race WRS I'm trying, and I have to say it isn't going well. I do wish the AI would disappear but sadly they do not. By the end of the first bus stop I've caught them, assuming I haven't completely missed my braking points because they are all throwing dust everywhere!

If I'm reeeaally lucky I manage to stay out of the way into the hairpin right after T1 so the super-late-braking muppet behind me doesn't punt me off, losing a stack of time by going offline...and round and round it goes.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is this exactly how these WRS events go down with the AI? I tried to get different line-ups but I always get the same two Skyline coupes at the back and the same Evo that goes off at turn 1...not to mention the two parked Elises around the track in the middle of the road.

Someone please tell me if I'm missing something or is this just how it is with the AI and this event?

Eitherway, my best lap was 1'58.666 despite having to take drastic measures at turn 3 not to get caught in a gridlock! I don't think it can go on the board though because the whole run had AI touches right?

I'll see if I can clean up a bit maybe with some advice from more experienced runners.

All the best
Maz

You should be slow like me Maz, that way you never catch the AI and therefore never have a problem 👍

All the best
Maz

All of what you mention is quite normal. This one in particular has been different for me because in the past when we do this type of thing you often find yourself winning the race easily (being out front by the end of lap 2). But what that means is that you have to make your way through the entire pack without contact. I honestly have no clue whatsoever how you are catching these guys by the time you hit the first busstop. I'm generally lucky if I can draft off of them after going through the busstop on the second lap.

Given that we are allowed to discuss any given laptime here can we also discuss splits? The ability these 700PP cars have to pull away from me between the 2 hairpins in the infield is just scary.

I'm going to give it one more try tonight before I leave for vacation - hopefully I have something respectable to put on the board or its going to be crunch time for me on Sunday night to even have something to submit this week.

Good Luck!

All of what you mention is quite normal. This one in particular has been different for me because in the past when we do this type of thing you often find yourself winning the race easily (being out front by the end of lap 2). But what that means is that you have to make your way through the entire pack without contact. I honestly have no clue whatsoever how you are catching these guys by the time you hit the first busstop. I'm generally lucky if I can draft off of them after going through the busstop on the second lap.

On the occasions that I have a really sweet infield section on the first lap (especially the exit onto the banking, this really is key to catching them), I'm encountering the first Skyline coupe by the bus stop, so by the exit I've got his slipstream and passed soon after exit, locked on the second Skyline now. The problem is by the time I've passed them and sorted turn 1, 2 and hairpin 3, the immense acceleration they get out of turn 3 puts them on me by turn 5 and that's when they outbrake themselves every time and shoot me off, or I have to take the inside line and watch them try to go outside me. At this point, mid lap 2, I'm well and truly in the pack and susceptible to all their crashes and mid-road stopping.

I do like this car, and I really love Daytona Road infield so much, but the AI is infuriating and I have a lot of catching up to do in terms of these WRS "races" as opposed to the hotlapping. I apologise in advance if I don't submit this week as I've got some late nights and commitments this week at work and otherwise. It looks like getting a clean run is gonna be massively difficult.

All the best
Maz

On the occasions that I have a really sweet infield section on the first lap (especially the exit onto the banking, this really is key to catching them), I'm encountering the first Skyline coupe by the bus stop, so by the exit I've got his slipstream and passed soon after exit, locked on the second Skyline now. The problem is by the time I've passed them and sorted turn 1, 2 and hairpin 3, the immense acceleration they get out of turn 3 puts them on me by turn 5 and that's when they outbrake themselves every time and shoot me off, or I have to take the inside line and watch them try to go outside me. At this point, mid lap 2, I'm well and truly in the pack and susceptible to all their crashes and mid-road stopping.

I do like this car, and I really love Daytona Road infield so much, but the AI is infuriating and I have a lot of catching up to do in terms of these WRS "races" as opposed to the hotlapping. I apologise in advance if I don't submit this week as I've got some late nights and commitments this week at work and otherwise. It looks like getting a clean run is gonna be massively difficult.

All the best
Maz

One thing I have noticed with the Skylines is that they are fairly respectful of your line - if you keep them close and do a bit of blocking when you are out in front of them, they back way off. Unlike the Lotus that seemed to be possessed by the devil himself.

Board updated with a real fast lap by Max for Div3 - are you sure you are running on 560PP? 👍

Yep, stock weight , stock power , S-4 event and RX-8 .
There is one "superior" lineup that allows so good draft that 1'58's or even 1'57's are possible.

MadMax

I think I will do like Bruno and skip this one. It's simply no fun when it's just down to luck. But don't despair, I'll be back next week to take up my mid pack place.

I'll be skipping this week as well. I had a go this morning and the AI were frustrating me too much. Hope to be back for next week's combo.

I was looking for a race on Daytona Road which would skip the inlap you need for having enough speed for crossing the finish line.

This AI race was perfect for it,together with the Tuning and not to many laps.

That it would be so frustrating to get a clean lap was not part of the deal.

Perhaps a combination of avoiding the AI and make the best of it instead of trying to get that last tenth would save the week.:)

I've had a low 58 and I am confident of putting a clean 3 laps in fairly easily.
The only drama is going faster puts you right amongst the AI in the tighter parts of the circuit, making you giveup some road so as to keep it clean.

Can't have the best of both worlds.:D

Looks like I'll be skipping this week too... Nothing against the combo, I'm just out of town this weekend and didn't really work on it through the week.

I'm going to find some time this weekend to give this another very good try, despite the AI it's an enjoyable car/track combo and it's not fair that only Ian should be representing D1, even if he is doing a fantastic job :lol:

All the best
Maz

One of my favorite tracks, hate the car in real life, Rotaries are grenades... Bah. I don't know why people would waste their money on it. I still have no had a clean run yet, I always get booted from the back. I think we should skip these combos more and run more classic WRS style events. I'm still going to try to submit a time this week but its really not as much fun as I would have hoped.

One of my favorite tracks, hate the car in real life, Rotaries are grenades... Bah. I don't know why people would waste their money on it. I still have no had a clean run yet, I always get booted from the back. I think we should skip these combos more and run more classic WRS style events. I'm still going to try to submit a time this week but its really not as much fun as I would have hoped.

Trust me, this car's a lot of fun in real life, and the rotary engine is great!

Perhaps a combination of avoiding the AI and make the best of it instead of trying to get that last tenth would save the week.:)

Excellent advice. Just.....I can't do it! I'm always trying to stuff the car in where it won't fit, or forget about an AI car coming up behind me. I still like the combo.

Back