GTP_WRS Week 53 : Where We're Going, We Don't Need Roads

• Thread starter Gravitron
  • 238 comments
Felt a bit like Biff on my first few laps. :dunce: Eventually found a decent lap. And some more off-roading. :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088763/quotes
George McFly: Biff, can I- Can I assume that your, uh, insurance is gonna pay for the damage?

Biff Tannen: My insurance? It's your car. Your insurance should pay for it. I wanna know who's gonna pay for this?

[shows his shirt]

Biff Tannen: I spilled beer all over it when the car smashed into me. Who's gonna pay my cleaning bill?

Felt a bit like Biff on my first few laps. :dunce: Eventually found a decent lap. And some more off-roading. :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088763/quotes

:rolleyes: :lol: (at your movie quotes) Personally, the movie never really appealed to me. I'm more of a comedy, action/adventure movie type of guy. When you finally do a NASCAR event (hint hint), then you will have to put up with me quoting "Days of Thunder" :lol: ("The boy don't have the balls to pass me on the outside." :P

Last edited:
I'm looking for opinions on Turn 5 (per Willow springs website) gear selection?

Stay in 3rd?
Downshift to 2nd?
Stayyyy in 2nd?

I would also like to know this... i'm always struggling at turn 5. So far i'm faster when staying in 3rd gear...

Well, after last weeks fluke finish, its back to reality. First splits after a few hundred miles.

1'01.308

I am pretty burned out on this track due to PD's overuse of it in the game and Seasonal events and so for that reason, I really can't see me putting in a lot of miles here. I seem to really struggle here also when it comes to finding the fastest way around this place, so really don't look for a great finish here. Hell, I think my Grandmother could probably beat me around here on her portable scooter. :lol: Good luck everyone, may you all reach your goals. :cheers:

Hell, I think my Grandmother could probably beat me around here on her portable scooter. :lol: Good luck everyone, may you all reach your goals

I guess your grandmother is faster than me. You are currently posting some pretty fast splits ahead of some pretty fast drivers.

I guess your grandmother is faster than me. You are currently posting some pretty fast splits ahead of some pretty fast drivers.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend you or anyone else, that was certainly not my intent. Just stating that my performance here is going to be nothing like last weeks. Besides, I'm sure those "pretty fast drivers" will find the time they are capable of, where as I doubt I will find much more time to be honest. Again, my apologies if I offended/upset anyone.

This trio of shoelace-less individuals pops into my head for some reason as I'm following the ghost.

images

images

What do I think of this combo?...........It's Tricky.

I have no idea how to do sector 1. 67kms in, and not a clue. My best last sector was truly special, but tied to a rubbish lap.

I stay in 3rd through turn 5.

I stay in 3rd on turn 5 as well.

I'm actually more interested in what people are doing with turns 3 and 4 with respect to 2nd vs. 3rd gear. When you say you stay in 3rd "through" turn 5 do you mean you don't downshift to 2nd at all for turns 3 or 4? If not, I'd be curious as to what you're doing in those two turns.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend you or anyone else, that was certainly not my intent. Just stating that my performance here is going to be nothing like last weeks. Besides, I'm sure those "pretty fast drivers" will find the time they are capable of, where as I doubt I will find much more time to be honest. Again, my apologies if I offended/upset anyone.

No offence taken Mitch 👍. Good luck finding the remaining tenths, I am pretty close to maxed out.

I stay in 3rd on turn 5 as well.

I'm actually more interested in what people are doing with turns 3 and 4 with respect to 2nd vs. 3rd gear. When you say you stay in 3rd "through" turn 5 do you mean you don't downshift to 2nd at all for turns 3 or 4? If not, I'd be curious as to what you're doing in those two turns.

I shift down to 2nd for turns 3 and 4, then shift up to 3rd after turn 4 and stay in 3rd for turn 5.

Well, 101kms in and here is how my lap is going:

Turn 1
Struggling to find a rhythm into this one. Some laps I am on the apex but leave too much room on the outside, others I collect sand in my boots! I take it in 3rd, and my current best lap is about as good as I am getting here.

Turn 2
Choices, choices. A later turn in keeps me wide, for a straighter run to the split. An early one gains a little on the corner but a tiny bit slower on the exit. Seems to be as broad as it is long here.

Turn 3
Love this corner, and there is a decent chunk left here. The gap I pull on my ghost when I nail this one is great. A dip into 2nd helps get the nose in. My best is not great through here, so fingers crossed.

Turn 4
Up over the hill, and keeping the speed up until just before the middle of the corner, where a slight lift brings the nose round. Up into 3rd for the drop down the hill, feathering the throttle for fear of another off track excursion. This one went well, so can't see too much improvement.

Turn 5
Keeping it tight on the right, in third, with a lift onto turn 5. I find I am drifting too far to the right on the exit, compromising my run into turn 6. On this lap, a little left here and in turn 6.

Turn 6
Um...Nailed through here. A little more time if I can get a good line in from turn 5.

Turns 7+8
Can't gain much here, but smooth inputs have helped me gain a few mph.

Turn 9
Wow. This one is great. Love it. In 3rd, the balance is amazing though here. Still time on this lap here, but still haven't replicated my best sector 3 yet.

Sorry for that. I am not an alien, so these are just the ramblings of a tired normal.

Wish i knew what you fast guys were doing in sector 1. It could get me into the 1'00 club.

88mph through the apex of turn 1 but that's a bit slow, judging by my T1 time.
Hitting apexes and generally clean throughout the lap - just need to polish the turd, as it were.

1'01.217

I'm finding the lack of trackside furniture a hindrance to consistent lapping.
Anyone got any surefire braking markers down yet?

Also, what sort of BB are people using? I'm still on 5/5 at the moment.
Took me a good 5 or 6 laps to even get below 1'02 in T2 and forgot to save a low '01 T2 but managed to get a tenth below at the line, so no harm done.

Gotta be 0.5sec for me to find out there

Last edited:
I shift down to 2nd for turns 3 and 4, then shift up to 3rd after turn 4 and stay in 3rd for turn 5.

Cool, that's what I've been doing... nice to get some verification from someone who has more of a clue than me :)

Wish i knew what you fast guys were doing in sector 1. It could get me into the 1'00 club.

I guess you missed this, I'll quote it here for anyone who has. :)

Thanks for the vid, I'll try to remember to watch it before I have another go. 👍

Edit: curiosity got the better of me so I watched it just now, I was doing it right, just not enough aggression. Easy enough to remember.

Loads of time every where I manage one corner brilliantly then mess up the next ahhhh

1'01.576

I have no idea where to brake anywhere on this track.
My best lap was just luck, I haven't come within half a second of it since.

I thought about it afterwards and there's only 2 places that take any sort of braking and even then I feel as if its more luck than judgement :lol:

Latest Posts

Back