GTP_WRS Week 7 : Crampons not needed

Discussion in 'WRS Archive' started by Argon, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Never2fast1

Never2fast1

This is going to be fun week. 13 laps tonight oonly 2 were clean.

Ran faster laps but this fastest clean lap. Those walls come up fast. :eek:

2. Ph1sh

Ph1sh Premium

Improved splits. Still a bit out there left. :tup:

3. Mr P

Mr P

Made in the middle section but lost some speed on the downhill.. made another .1 at the line :tup: Maths says I'm still .3 off my optimal T3 so like Arnie... I'll be back!! :cool:

Andy 0, EDK, Bass Addict and 4 others like this.
  4. RuddRacer

RuddRacer

My first laps in 2018 thanks to a nasty case of the flu that took forever to recover from but I think I'm back now. Used setup @EDK posted :tup:.

roamer2629, Andy 0, EDK and 5 others like this.
  5. Mr P

Mr P

Another .3 at the line.. This one is addictive when the car feels good :tup:

EDK, Bass Addict, GTP_randy and 4 others like this.
  6. Jump_Ace

Jump_Ace Staff Emeritus

First crack at the car. I feel like I cheated a little by starting with @Mr P's tune and @EDK's gears. I'm never very good here, but I've only driven a few laps here in the campaign mode and a couple races online here and there.

There's so much time to be had, everywhere. I've been faster at every sector...but never on the same lap :lol: Great little car though :tup:

Did anyone else need to google what a crampon was?

Jerome

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    EDK, Ren, Bass Addict and 4 others like this.
  7. Mr P

Mr P

I have no doubt we will be seeing mid 1'40's for T3's when the faster guys run this.. there's loads left! Just saw a 20.9 T1 for the first time.. there's bloody loads left!! what a great puzzle to try and put together :tup:

:cheers:

Bass Addict, GTP_randy, Argon and 2 others like this.
  8. Jump_Ace

Jump_Ace Staff Emeritus

Still slow, but putting it all together. Do you guys shift late when climbing the hill?

Jerome

GTP_randy and Argon like this.
  9. Gravitron

Gravitron Moderator

No. :lol: But I've rented them and other snow equipment in the past. :p
    Backcountry skier takes a close 2nd place to Racecar Driver, in my book of Dream Jobs.

GTP_randy and Argon like this.
  10. munch2112

munch2112

That moment when you beat your current personal best by 1.5 seconds and forget to save the replay. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

11. Rikson

Rikson

All the credits for Ron and @EDK for sharing,thanks:tup:
    Now trying to become more consistent and grow a pair of balls driving close to walls :lol:
    :cheers:

giznav, EDK, Never2fast1 and 5 others like this.
  12. EDK

EDK Moderator

When you enter that tight section near the walls in the second sector, the car does that double surge in second and I let it, I shift at the second one.

3rd to 4th seemed pretty natural, the car does want to be wound all the way out.

4th to 5th, if you kept my final drive, I was shifting at the first of the double left hander at the top. I would normally shift mid corner which made it so I could easily and consistently make it flat.

Jump_Ace, GTP_randy and Never2fast1 like this.
  13. Never2fast1

Never2fast1

Faster time this morning. Lots to gain.

14. Nerazzurri

Nerazzurri

Using @EDK setup, but adjusted rear ARB to 7 & BB +2 to cut a bit of the understeer.

Still feel like I’m hanging on for dear life through the uphill & downhill windy bits but I’ve definitely got more control than I had yesterday

Andy 0 and EDK like this.
  15. EDK

EDK Moderator

The BB just depends on where you want the understeer. ;) It's going to present somewhere in these cars.

I like to use negative front BB on FF and AWD cars, as I find it helps to get them to turn in while trail braking. It's a driving style thing, but if you drive these cars like a rear drive car, you'll always limit yourself somewhat.

I think the reason you want that BB and ARB is that you are trying to launch the car off the corner like it's a Corvette. :)

Bass Addict and Nerazzurri like this.
  16. Never2fast1

Never2fast1

That is what makes this track so fun, is pushing the car and yourself up and down the hill. I was able to run a low 48.xxx through T2 but then blew through chicane. :banghead:. I have been able to go through most of it without lifting, just a slight lift but that is a spot I need to improve on.The fastest guys are going to be the guys that are all in up and down the hill and somehow do not hit a wall.:bowdown:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Nerazzurri likes this.
  17. Nerazzurri

Nerazzurri

You may be right mate, maybe I should persevere with your original setup. The main reason I changed it was to cut the understeer at the chicane at the end of the long straight A’s I was understeer if straight off into the grass. Perhaps I need to take a look at how I’m approaching it instead of dealing with it with setup changes :idea:

18. Never2fast1

Never2fast1

Remember sometimes slower is faster. :) It sounds so weird to say, but I am learning that for me (being a slower guy) I try to go as fast as possible entering a corner, which causes a bad line, but when I slow down and enter on the right line, I am much faster out and my lap times actually improve.

Bass Addict, Argon, EDK and 1 other person like this.
  19. EDK

EDK Moderator

For that turn, I brake at the 150 marker and brake the car all the way to the first apex, releasing the brake as I settle the car onto that rumble strip. Then I can take full throttle out for maximum exit speed onto that next straight. I imagine the fast guys might even be braking a bit later there, but so far I have just wanted to keep my laps.

Not saying don't change my setup, but I am saying you should learn to approach FF cars differently. Sometimes attempting to completely remove natural characteristics from cars will make you slower, not faster.

20. GTP_Nail

GTP_Nail Premium

TT should be about driving skill pure and simple. Tuning makes it a tecnological cheat game where technical skill can greatly shadow pure ability. Just saying. And no I can’t tunes for :censored:.

DigitalBaka likes this.
  21. EDK

EDK Moderator

So if we go without tuning and someone changes their front camber by a degree, how do I verify that?

We are providing what the game has provided for us, and doing the best we can with it.

I will always work to quickly build a tune and post it for events I plan to participate in, and I think we have several capable tuners on here who are willing to share.

We prefer to run events without tuning, so your rage is misdirected.

Maybe send an email to Kaz. ;)

22. Nerazzurri

Nerazzurri

Thanks for the advice guys! I put the setup back you your original & already I’m faster! I can also see a lot of time to improve too which I couldn’t on the previous setup. :D

EDK, Argon and Never2fast1 like this.
  23. Never2fast1

Never2fast1

I am with you, I can't tune worth a :censored: either, but with all the guys who throw out their tunes to everyone, all we have to do is plug and play with the tunes they put together and not worry about knowing what we are doing, We just have to drive. :cheers:

Renrag39, GTP_Nail, Andy 0 and 4 others like this.
  24. Jump_Ace

Jump_Ace Staff Emeritus

I may try to make my own tune for this car. My splits are waaay off pace and I can't figure out why.

Jerome

Argon likes this.
  25. EDK

EDK Moderator

I am also a relative noob at the track, but seem to have figured some things out in the middle sector.

That first right hand corner of T2, I think in some really fast cars, taking it a bit like a kink is effective, with early braking and then back on it. I found out in this car you are better off braking late to keep up all that speed from the straight, since it is not going to get it back up the hill anyhow. I settle the car to the apex with trail braking and there's a bit of natural camber to keep it in there.

Beyond that, the kind of double left thing to enter the wall section, I let it bang against the limiter in 3rd on the way in, then trail brake down into the groove by the left wall while shifting the 2nd, then am just about flat for the rest of the sector. Small lift for the second of the double left up on top right before the end of the sector is normal for me, due to the aforementioned bump on the way in that you can sometimes magically avoid getting launched by.

26. munch2112

munch2112

Thanks to @EDK for his tune and helpful hints about trail braking!

And to me for remembering to actually save the replay this time!

Have seen better splits across the board but on dirty laps... those walls are so close! But thankfully, due to the understeer, I’ve managed to stay out of them on this lap!

Also, helpful hint for those that might have forgotten from previous event. I’m the Race Settings screen, you can adjust the wall touch detection to be strict and invalidate your time for that lap. It does pick up even the slightest of touches, but, of course make sure you still check your replay manually as it can not be 100%!

27. Jump_Ace

Jump_Ace Staff Emeritus

Thanks buddy! I'll try that tonight/tomorrow. The wife has PTA meetings this week, so I'm outnumbered at home :scared:

Jerome

EDK likes this.
  28. Never2fast1

Never2fast1

Thanks for the tips, I was doing most of those things that section, I am naturally slower than you, but I was coming from the outside wall in on the entry to the wall section, and did not have enough speed to bounce of limiter in 3rd (may need to change corner entry turn before). Staying by the wall makes sense, :idea: That darn bump as ruined a couple good laps already. :banghead:

Argon likes this.
  29. EDK

EDK Moderator

To be clear, I am settling next to the wall for the second half of the uphill double left. It lets you go flat as soon as you have the car in the groove. If you miss getting to the right place at the right time, you will either have to lift slightly or hit the wall on the exit. I am not 100% execution on this, likely 50%. But if you try approaching from the right, it seems off camber and you can't really get the car where you need it to be. Or, I can't.

Argon and Never2fast1 like this.
  30. Ren

Ren Premium

I am with you on this Kevin! Although, I too, prefer untuned events (because then at least it's me that's so slow and I don't have to question the setup I'm running). It would be boring to do all events with the same few courtesy cars, so yes, you guys are doing a fantastic job at working with what we have! :cheers:
    But now a question that had crossed my mind with the first tuning event: power and weight stock, suspension tuning allowed etc... What if someone ups the power by 10 horses, or drops 20kgs, could that be veryfied?

If the answer is no then watch this space for my next laptimes :lol:.

On a serious note: the way I know this whole crowd here nobody would do that anyways, the "spirit of the rules" approach comes to mind. Besides that, anyone who would only cheats himself at the end of the day anyways.... The question itself is valid nonetheless?

Never2fast1 likes this.