GTP_WRS Week 7 : Official Results

• Thread starter Vaxen
  • 113 comments
Sorry poolhaas. Yes you were close to the wall entering the tunnel. I did not hear any contact noises but had another look to check. Near 50.4 Your mirror is in the left wall, as it enters the tunnel. I tried a second time to pause at this point to take a picture. Had several tries before I managed it and took a couple of pictures at 50.433. I took two pictures but not sure how to post them.

GTP_poolhaas
rflagnv1.gif

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/5903/p0604110249.jpg
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/8996/p0604110251.jpg

Hmm, didn't bother to look at it since i didn't hear anything or notice any speed drop. Oh well better luck next time

Hmm, didn't bother to look at it since i didn't hear anything or notice any speed drop. Oh well better luck next time

I think it was just luck, or unlucky, that i spotted your mirror. When I tried to stop at the same point,again, to take the pictures I had about 6 attempts before I managed it. At no point were the wheels or body of the car in any contact with the wall, just the mirror.

Don't know if its just me or being new to WRS but I feel bad for having to do this to you but I felt that I had to red flag it as the rules state "No Contact with walls or other objects. Any contact with walls, no matter how minor, will result in a DQ." Sorry.

01GTP
Oh yeah, SHigSpeed, I like the horn. 👍

<lol>. You like that? It was my psych-up ritual! It's one of the better sounding horns in the game (save for the Tank Car horn).

_SHig

Here is my NTSC replay. It didn't feel like a good lap as I was doing it, but everytime I looked at the splits it was fast. Most of my laps were much smoother.

Edit. Anyone else think poolhaas's lap should stand? No noise, no loss of speed or rpms, no sparks, and its the mirror clipping into the wall slightly. I know the rules say no contact but I am wondering what the official ruling on it will be.

Attachments

• GTP_mcfizzle_Week7.zip
    231.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Re: Mirror touch

Did the analyzer show any speed loss? Just curious...

_SHig

There was no speed change and no audible sound but the pictures I took,and posted, do show the mirror partly in the wall.

mcfizzle
Here is my NTSC replay. It didn't feel like a good lap as I was doing it, but everytime I looked at the splits it was fast. Most of my laps were much smoother.

Edit. Anyone else think poolhaas's lap should stand? No noise, no loss of speed or rpms, no sparks, and its the mirror clipping into the wall slightly. I know the rules say no contact but I am wondering what the official ruling on it will be.

If there's no slowing on the analyzer... That was the definitive indicator of a wall touch in GT4 WRS. Not sure if the physics of a wall touch is the same or not in GT5. I'd be okay with it still being the case unless it's shown that an otherwise obvious wall touch does NOT result in speed loss.

_SHig

If there's no slowing on the analyzer... That was the definitive indicator of a wall touch in GT4 WRS. Not sure if the physics of a wall touch is the same or not in GT5. I'd be okay with it still being the case unless it's shown that an otherwise obvious wall touch does NOT result in speed loss.

_SHig

I'm quite happy to be corrected if others think the lap should stand. Maybe this is one for the admin to decide. There is no datalogger for special event replays so it is only what you see on the lap replay that you can analyze. As I said earlier being new to WRS I am just following the rules as I read them.

Last edited:
So what happens when you get a red flag? Does it disqualify the lap or will something else happen?
I'm new here too so i'm not that familiar with it, if it's just a disqualifier i would not get too wound up about it

It disqualifies your lap, but I think the rule is if you get 3 red flags you may not be able to participate. In my opinion, your lap is good as I think contact is between the body of the car and a wall. I agree,though, the admins need to take a look at it.

I think nizzy did the right thing but also think poolhaas could be given the benefit of the doubt.... It ain't like EDK has had enough questions this week either! :-)

The question is whether it's a violation of the "no contact" rule versus the photography of the game. The data logger has always been the divider between the two. If the data logger is not available, then you look for speed loss or a twitch in the tachometer. Finally, you can look at the mirror itself. If it shows damage, it's obviously dirty, though it not being damaged doesn't prove anything. Looking at the pictures, nothing is certain. I'd have to check the entire replay, which I will do.
As far as I understand, red flags result in a DQ that will attract the attention of the admins, but not necessarily any disciplinary action. That second red flag may bring down the wrath upon you, for sure. :scared:
I don't think he meant to supply a bad replay, as this is all about driving at the edge of whatever speed you can. It does re-enforce the point, though, to be very careful with what you submit for replays. Somebody is always watching!!

Last edited:
1'15.486---GTP_RedReevos
gflagjn4.gif

1'15.958---GTP_SHigSpeed
gflagjn4.gif

1'16.557---GTP_JBRINKLEY
gflagjn4.gif

1'16.912---GTP_Shigegaki
gflagjn4.gif

1'17.340---GTP_DDiamond
gflagjn4.gif

All I have to say is that DDiamond, you may turn the tires too much creating the tire smoke in your lap.
It could be you were just going too fast.

Thanks for the check.....and thanks for the advice. Just saw a good example by GTP_RaceRyder of how to run a lap without the slightest puff of smoke!

GTP_mcfizzle - 1'16.166 -
picture.php

Fast!! 👍

GTP_RaceRyder - 1'16.993 -
picture.php

Smooth!!! And smokeless! 👍

Visual specs correct and clean runs!

Back to taxes!!

The question is whether it's a violation of the "no contact" rule versus the photography of the game. The data logger has always been the divider between the two. If the data logger is not available, then you look for speed loss or a twitch in the tachometer. Finally, you can look at the mirror itself. If it shows damage, it's obviously dirty, though it not being damaged doesn't prove anything. Looking at the pictures, nothing is certain. I'd have to check the entire replay, which I will do.

I just had another look at the replay, the mirror isn't damaged exiting the tunnel

But i doubt PD is that detailed in damage. We'll see what the admin has to say

The new picture seems to do a good job of showing how disjointed the mirror is from the rest of the car, as well as how far from the mirror extends from the car. Just being able to take that picture showing the mirror into the wall will probably be enough to disqualify you, going from past experiences. The admins will let us know. Sorry man.

The new picture seems to do a good job of showing how disjointed the mirror is from the rest of the car, as well as how far from the mirror extends from the car. Just being able to take that picture showing the mirror into the wall will probably be enough to disqualify you, going from past experiences. The admins will let us know. Sorry man.
Because it's focussed on the mirror the doorpannels look off, when i focus on the door you wouldn't see the mirror.

Anyway, time for other replays to get checked :)

This is under review. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Here is some good detail!!
8cwheel.jpg

Actually, it's from this car.

Off topic post, sorry.

1'15.486---GTP_RedReevos
gflagjn4.gif

Thank you for the check, sir.

As for Poolhaas, I definitely agree with the consensus that his lap was submitted with good intentions. I also think Nizzy shouldn't feel bad at all. Just a strange situation, and I am glad the Admins are looking at it.

Just throwing my 2 cents out there that I think his lap should clearly count if that's the only "infraction". If the GT5 physics engine didn't detect a collision then there was no collision, regardless of whether there's minor visual clipping.

Hey guys can someone please check my slow replay, it got lost back on page 2- post #37. Thanks in advance.

I would Darkstar, but I just figured out why people here talk about PAL and NTSC :dunce:

Found this one though

GTP_Vagabond
gflagjn4.gif

Nice lap, smokey

Last edited:
I'm doing yours now, Darkstar. Yeah, poolhaas, I had forgotten about PAL vs NTSC, too!

Well, Darkstar, your lap didn't look that bad, but you lost a lot of time on the entry to turn 1. Also, the corner before the tunnel needs a wider entrance. (Be more to the left before you turn in.) Nice exit from the switchbacks. I can't green flag your lap, though, because of this: just before the start/finish line.

darkstar74.jpg

Well, Darkstar, your lap didn't look that bad, but you lost a lot of time on the entry to turn 1. Also, the corner before the tunnel needs a wider entrance. (Be more to the left before you turn in.) Nice exit from the switchbacks. I can't green flag your lap, though, because of this: just before the start/finish line.

darkstar74.jpg

Sorry, watched it over and over couldn't get that pause. Sorry again, onto this week...
Thanks chukabilly for checking, only my second week, can't believe I missed it.:ill:

Sorry, watched it over and over couldn't get that pause. Sorry again, onto this week...
Thanks chukabilly for checking, only my second week, can't believe I missed it.:ill:
Darkstar, you should read this if you haven't: GTP WRS Comprehensive Guide

Just from watching your lap once it looked to me like you were completely in the dirt, so I can't imagine you were 100% sure it was clean. It's not someone else's job to watch your replay over and over and try to catch the perfect pic to prove your lap was bad&#8212;it's your job to make sure there's no doubt it was good.

Edit for the Admins, since Chuk didn't flag it:

GTP_darkstar74
rflagnv1.gif

Last edited:
Back