GTP_WRS Week 79 : An Englishman in Japan

• Thread starter EDK
  • 72 comments
Not one of my favourite cars to drive; I find the balance between the speed and the handling hard to adjust to.

First session:
T1: 21.304
T2: 54.129

I thought it was okay but it appears I lost a lot in the second sector :crazy:

D.

1st session. Frustrating little car. Keep thinking I have control a then the back bumper passes me.

Share a tune some have been asking. If I figure one out I will gladly share. I imagine others are facing same problem. Its still early in the week.

No one wants to share a tune?

Ken, I think I read on the first page that some guys are using an old tune of Paulie's but with some tweaks (not sure what), anyway, tune is here https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3329034&postcount=332

Personally, I just roll with what I feel comfortable with. I'm fairly pleased with my gears:

FG.....4.530
6th....0.820
5th....0.960
4th....1.150
3rd....1.450
2nd...1.900
1st....2.690

I lost my original tune this evening when I exited to watch a replay; the ride height was at -40/-40. For some reason and completely by accident, I can't explain why, I re-tuned it to -40/+10. This really helps reduce oversteer.

springs 8/76/9, dampers 6/85/5, toe -0.10/+0.07+0.15/-0.05, camber 2.51.5/1.2, brakes 6/86/6.

The camber is set so because I have the turning angle at 5045. I don't work the wheel very much so I deliberately tried to induce understeer.

I will be working on this all week and what works for me rarely works for anyone else but hey, you asked. :)

EDIT: I made some changes that helped me.

Last edited:
Yay new splits. 👍

0'21.221
0'53.466

I'm starting to love Fuji and the lotus aswell even though I was loving it before.

once again, not many laps but a vast improvement in the T3 time :)

0'21.322
0'53.370

I have been faster through to T1 but I lost it in the coca cola turn :ouch:

Last edited:
After taking last week off,I was looking forward to getting into this week's action,but it didn't work out too well,after 3 laps my brake pedal started sticking :(.I'm going to try and fix it but if I can't I might be out for a few weeks,not really that keen to pick the controller up again.Hopefully it just needs cleaning and i'll be able to put a time on the board soon,but the WRC is in town this weekend :D i'll be following them around so won't have that much time anyway.

Few more laps this morning,improved especially on T2 and T3...Still not happy with my tune,so hopefully more to come...

T1:0'21.283
T2:0'53.013

spy.

New splits for me and a little work done on my set up as edited above.

T1: 21.354
T2: 53.778

Car feels really good, shame I can't drive it properly.

T1: 21.357
T2: 53.614

Last edited:
First splits.

Have seen faster, but have to keep my cool in the third sector...

Skipped lunch!

Slower t1, faster t2, faster lap overall!

Starting to like my setup, just totally blew the 1st corner.

Late night try

Skipped lunch again!

Last edited:
I switched on the PS3 for the first time in a month, so I'm a little rusty :dunce:

This is an interesting combo for me to get my ass in the seat again 👍

why is it that my T1 & T2 times get slower but my T3 time improves heaps? :lol:

achieved my goal time plus improved on it by more than a sec. :lol:

nearly the same t2, but much better t3 now.
i think i´m done with this combo. :)

21,308 :ouch:
52,965 :)

Not my best first sector but happier with the second and even happier with the third. Hopefully i'm still happy after all the laptimes are posted :lol:

Very nice combo. 👍

New splits.

Small gain but a good improvement at the line.

I picked a bad time to return as I hate MR cars, but I've just made some modifications to my rig so I'll be attempting this event. Did a lap just now and it's a much better feel than before.

Good to be back

New splits:

I'm pretty happy with sectors 1 and 3, but I might try and work on that middle sector a little more.

Back from a lovely week in Corfu with the wife and kid girl. Spend two great days in this Astra convertible and spent many hours at the pool with temperatures around the 25deg mark. Wonderful!

Tried out this combo in which I almost start to like the car (but not really - MR configurations were never my cup of tea) and confirmed why I like the track so much. Since my splits are still in the 22.3 and 55.9 range there's no need to have them bot-ised into the board, and I shall not submit if they don't improve :)

The car seems to like to have its engine revved up really high, but if I shift around or a little above the red line it seems to fall back a bit. My gear ratios are standard with a final drive of 4.7. Any suggestions?

Back from a lovely week in Corfu with the wife and kid girl. Spend two great days in this Astra convertible and spent many hours at the pool with temperatures around the 25deg mark. Wonderful!

Tried out this combo in which I almost start to like the car (but not really - MR configurations were never my cup of tea) and confirmed why I like the track so much. Since my splits are still in the 22.3 and 55.9 range there's no need to have them bot-ised into the board, and I shall not submit if they don't improve :)

The car seems to like to have its engine revved up really high, but if I shift around or a little above the red line it seems to fall back a bit. My gear ratios are standard with a final drive of 4.7. Any suggestions?

Hi Steven, sounds like you've had a good break.
I posted a tune on the page before. It's working okay for me although I don't know if anyone else has had any success with it. The gears could be lengthened a little so you don't have to shift up to fifth for turn 2 but it hasn't changed much for me since I posted it. I don't think it matters too much if you run past the red line either, there's still more power there than at 7krpm.

Had planned to have some sessions this weekend to try to improve both laptime and tune,but -as always- was too damn bizzy with work and other things...maybe have an hour tomorrow but if not i will have to submit with the splits on the board...

Good luck all...

spy.

Last edited:
At long last i've managed a decent-ish lap. Still lots of slippy-slidy errors, especially in T3 but I think that's par for the course with this car (well, for me it is anyway).

Tidied up the T3 and gained 2 tenths at the line. Submitting.

Last edited:
I tried one last time and I wasn't able to improve. So I submitted with my current splits.

See you next week. 👍

No chance to give it another go. Submitted with posted split times.

I had good fun with this car and track combination!

I hate to submit when I am sure I can do better. But I will have no more time for this. As always a fun combo!

Hi Steven, sounds like you've had a good break.
I posted a tune on the page before. It's working okay for me although I don't know if anyone else has had any success with it. The gears could be lengthened a little so you don't have to shift up to fifth for turn 2 but it hasn't changed much for me since I posted it. I don't think it matters too much if you run past the red line either, there's still more power there than at 7krpm.
Will give your tune a go to see if it works better than Paulie's old tune 👍

Back