GTP_WRS Week 83 : Tiny Dancer

• Thread starter Gravitron
  • 106 comments
Actually slower overall splits with a half second gain is scary whwre am I losing time or have I just nailed s3 perhaps

I have found that this car on these tyres requires a different approach to normal (at least it has for me)....I am finding that braking later than I would normally and braking less seems to improve corner speed. The key really is not to scrub too much speed coming into corners as the acceleration is quite slow....and use the gearbox to slow you down....as I'm new to using a manual box, I was tending to downshift to the corner gear I wanted as soon as I hit the brakes but, by delaying the first gear change till after I started braking and then changing down again just as I got to the corner apex gave me a lot of time (or if only one downshift needed, just wait till the apex). As I said, I'm new to changing gears so I may be completely wrong but that seems to be helping me anyway.

Hope some of that helps

Changed to a 2/3 B/B, using my default controls and managed to go marginally quicker.....then changed the gearbox from auto to manual and beat my previous best lap time another 5 times for a 4 tenths gain overall! Suffice to say, I was not expecting that. Have somehow now managed to break under the 39 second barrier and have even seen a .3 sector 1! On my fastest lap, it may well have been another .3 sector 1 as I had a massive lock up going into turn 1 which cost me a fair amount of time.

Overall, very happy with my improvement today as I am now less than a tenth away from my current theoretical best split time. Whether i can improve any further is a question for another day but I know where I lost time so, in teory I could go quicker if I nail it. Either way, I'm happy with the time I have submitted, even if I don't improve...clearly being promoted to Division 2 has had a subconscious effect making me quicker so I don't completely embarass myself with my lack of speed :lol:

S1: 17.477
S2: 38.993

Didn't think I had any hope of a low .4xx but I went back to it and after less than 10 laps:

One of those rare moments where all 3 sectors were PB's :scared:

...now I've unlearned my bad habits from PCars I need to find some consistency to try and match that :lol:

Couldn't improve in my 70+ lap run yesterday....a couple of times I was ahead of my best ghost at the S2 split but ended up behind it at the line. Got within a tenth of my best lap time but that was it. Tried different brake bias settings from the one I ran my best lap with (was running 3/2 not 2/3 as I posted) but 3/2 felt most comfortable for me...for some reason I kept locking up almost every lap on turn 1 despite having the same braking lines etc as before.

Did try for a spell using the triggers for accelerate and brake but was nowhere....given I seem to have done my fastest lap on this combo (which I am happy with anyway, though would have liked to have got a .3 first sector), I will probably use the rest of the time as a test session to see if I can get the hang of the triggers, though it will take some time as I remember using them for NFS Shift and quite playing the game as I couldn't do it (they wouldn't allow changing controller config!)

-.22 better T1
-.39 better T2
-.77 at the line, yet still not happy with effort. Slid on exit from turn 2(after T1) and also in mid last turn. so i guess some more .2 hidden to me.

Lost 2 tenths in the middle but gained a tenth at the line.
Attempt to claw the middle sector back later

Continued with my controller configuration testing and found a setup that I can manage with (manual gears on right stick, throttle on R2 and brake on L1...can't manage brake on L2) and got within 2 hundreths of my best lap time, having been 5 hundreths up at the split so it went pretty well given I don't feel at all confident with the new setup, particularly considering my braking points are wrong for this setup! We'll have to see what happens with another combo but it looks promising. The only issue I have is that it makes my hands ache as I have to grip the controller too tight due to the poor design of the triggers....the triggers on my Logitech controller are much better and would make things much easier but I can't get it to work with the game, though it works with the PS3 itself....may have to see if I can work it out or it may simply be that GT6 only allows proper DS3s

Continued with my controller configuration testing and found a setup that I can manage with (manual gears on right stick, throttle on R2 and brake on L1...can't manage brake on L2) and got within 2 hundreths of my best lap time, having been 5 hundreths up at the split so it went pretty well given I don't feel at all confident with the new setup, particularly considering my braking points are wrong for this setup! We'll have to see what happens with another combo but it looks promising. The only issue I have is that it makes my hands ache as I have to grip the controller too tight due to the poor design of the triggers....the triggers on my Logitech controller are much better and would make things much easier but I can't get it to work with the game, though it works with the PS3 itself....may have to see if I can work it out or it may simply be that GT6 only allows proper DS3s

I have had to switch from my DS3 to a Giotech controller, it definately feels different to the DS3, steering is heavier/not as accurate, no real sense of rotation in the tight turns. I suppose I just have to adapt

Been doing other stuff so I never got back to doing more sessions after the first try. Will be skipping this one. Good luck everyone.

I have had to switch from my DS3 to a Giotech controller, it definately feels different to the DS3, steering is heavier/not as accurate, no real sense of rotation in the tight turns. I suppose I just have to adapt

Yerah, I guess that's the problem when you have to use something not optimised within a game....for PC driving games, my Logitech is better than the DS3 but that may simply be because it is much newer and the software that allows me to use the DS3 on the PC. I imagine that the more you use it, the more you'll get used to it and adapt to the difference and, after some time, you'll be running normal lap times. If I could get my Logitech to work in the game, I'd use it even if it wasn't as crisp and sensitive purely because the triggers are much better designed and comfortable (the DS3 triggers always make my finger slip off due to the angle of them hence having to grip it so tightly whereas the Logi curves outwards so you have a step to rest your fingers on). Anyway, good luck with adapting to your controller...hopefully, you'll get used to it

Back