GTP_WRS Week 96 : Xcape!

• Thread starter Gravitron
  • 97 comments
Well, that was certainly interesting. Decided it was time to switch to manual gears permanently (combo permitting of course!) and just take the slowness hit for a while, given I am generally struggling for pace anyway. Started off as expected, namely about 6 seconds off the pace followed by a run of red laps, a quicker lap, more red laps and then, on the 6th lap, managed to imrpove my best time by 2 and a half tenths :eek: Yeah, wasn't expecting that either!

Didn't improve after that as struggling to keep the car on track while changing gears etc but I did improve all my sector times so that, after less than 20 laps, my PB sectors combined using manual is quicker than those using automatic...sector 2 PB is 2 tenths quicker and all the rest are within a tenth of my PBs so, hopefully, time to come as I get more comfortable with it. No real idea what I am doing mind...just generally shifting somewhere before the red light comes on, though I am managing 4 mph quicker at the start/finish line

S1: 48.166
S2: 1:23.933
S3: 2:17.650

Well, that was certainly interesting. Decided it was time to switch to manual gears permanently (combo permitting of course!) and just take the slowness hit for a while, given I am generally struggling for pace anyway. Started off as expected, namely about 6 seconds off the pace followed by a run of red laps, a quicker lap, more red laps and then, on the 6th lap, managed to imrpove my best time by 2 and a half tenths :eek: Yeah, wasn't expecting that either!

Didn't improve after that as struggling to keep the car on track while changing gears etc but I did improve all my sector times so that, after less than 20 laps, my PB sectors combined using manual is quicker than those using automatic...sector 2 PB is 2 tenths quicker and all the rest are within a tenth of my PBs so, hopefully, time to come as I get more comfortable with it. No real idea what I am doing mind...just generally shifting somewhere before the red light comes on, though I am managing 4 mph quicker at the start/finish line

S1: 48.166
S2: 1:23.933
S3: 2:17.650
Try around 6500

Some things I found to improve lap times. First turn stay in 3rd (not much difference if you do it in 2nd though) once the turn is made go wide for the next turn. I think the first hairpin may be quicker to stay in 3rd (still experimenting there), and get on gas as soon as possible. The left\right after sector 1, can be done with no lift or the slightest of lifts if you aim the car correctly, do not downshift to 4th. For the combination of turns in sector 3, I stay in 4th trying to keep an inside line, shifting to 3rd to exit back onto the straight. For the next hairpin, I do a late apex, slightly overshooting where it seems you should turn in to get on gas as quickly as possible. After the jump I stay in 5th all the way, with a slight lift in the first downhill turn, the car will go wide and you can stay full gas until the end of sector 3. Going up the hill in sector 4, a slight lift, avoid too much curbing and full gas til the bottom of the hill. I shift to 4th on the left at bottom of hill and have been experimenting with 4th gear for last turn, it feels faster to me.

Using BB of 5 3 and shifting around 6600 rpm.

Last edited:
@GTP_Patrick1 Thanks..good advice there 👍 I am pretty much doing the same shifts/gear selections (though my up shifts have not been aimed at a precise rpm)....in Sector 4, with the uphill corner, you definitely need the right line without curbs to get through with just a lift...I have ruined many laps by not getting the entry right and understeering into the barrier :banghead: In the next corners, I shift down halfway through the first turn and keep it in 4th till I brake for the final corner, when I shift to 3rd and back up to 4th while still in the turn. I don't think it matters much being in 3rd or 4th through the final corner as I have done both and still end up with roughly the same speed across the line

I have been using 3/5 brake bias so far as I am still getting to grips with coming off the brakes earlier than normal to turn the car quicker

1:23.050
2:16.766

Not so good through the loop in T3 (still trying to figure out best way through) but 0.15 up at the line.

1'22.333
2'15.250

Made a slight mistake in sector 4 that cost me a tenth, but other than that just about a perfect lap. I might be done with this one. Lifted a bit much going up hill in sector 4, but I was so far in front of my ghost, I went for caution.

Last edited:
Just ran this lap:

1'21.900
2'14.900

Next to PB in all sectors , had .7 at T1 once. 2 tenths left in it for me max.

EDIT: Brakes 5/10 , shifting up at 6500 rpm and not using 6th gear on main straith.

Great Lap :bowdown:

I was quite pleased with it, although before I called it a night, I made it to T3 splt in 16.6 and finished the lap .017 down.
So there is scope for improvement if I can find the time, working this weekend and blackmailing the kids to let me have a shot at PS3 means I may have a couple of banzai attempts left.

Keep charging guys.

1'23.435
2'17.585

BB 1/6

Haven't had time to give this justice meant to be taking a break. :) will try for another attempt on Monday if not Good Luck everyone.

Back