GTP_WRS Week 98 : Colin McRae Memorial Race

• Thread starter EDK
  • 99 comments
I find N1 tyres great fun, as there's a very gradual loss of grip, the more speed you carry.

With the Tamora on R3, on the other hand, it was much more like loads of grip up to a point, and then a sudden loss of grip (and typically sudden, very tricky oversteer). With N1 tyres, the car beginning to slide is a nice indication of hovering around the limit.

EDK Sorry but I have a HUGE complaint about this combo..
I keep doing laps that are about 13secs slower than normal because I'm having way too much fun & I'm drifting all over the place!
I'm supposed to be going fast not sliding around goofing off :dopey:
Seriously though its ridiculous fun drifting this round the track :D
If I was actually quicker I might just submit a drift lap in honour of McRae's sideways racing :)

First try around with the wheel.

T1: 22.311
T2: 42.013

I also switch from chasecam to bumpercam. So its like trying to learn how to drive all over again lol. Thanks to CT and Aldo :P.

EDK Sorry but I have a HUGE complaint about this combo..
I keep doing laps that are about 13secs slower than normal because I'm having way too much fun & I'm drifting all over the place!

lol :lol: Last time EDK gave me a subaru and N tyres, this happened...

[YOUTUBEHD]zOXz4MWeMxA[/YOUTUBEHD]

I think this combo could make me cold turkey from Call Of Duty!

First splits worth posting:

T1 0'22.764
T2 0'42.669

DC9990 is right, it's difficult to do a clean lap because throwing it around is so entertaining :crazy:

Dude thats what I'm doing! Though nowhere near as good! That looked awesome! Especially the little 360 into the corner.
I wish I was still as good at drifting with the wheel, I used to be able to drift pretty well on the pad.
Now I just fail but this combo is making me practice even though I should be gripping :P
I might just try to get my control with the wheel & do a tarmac rally for this week regardless of how low I end up.

Just ran 10 laps.

T1: 22.779
T2: 42.979

Did a few more laps after I looked at the current standings.

T1: 22.803
T2: 42.660

Last edited:
This is a fantastic combo, really addictive once you get the hang of it 👍

T1: 22.238
T2: 41.926

Incredibly, I've numerous times had splits of .177 at T1 and then .8xx best at T2, yet none of the last corners on those laps even came close to the above lap. Typical Suzuka East :|

All the best
Maz

Haven't run a WRS in ages... come to think of it, I haven't been on GT5P in ages either. Anyhow, car feels nice - as always, grip level on n tyres is far more realistic than S & R's.

T1: 22.268
T2: 41.806

Forgot just how frustrating the last turn is at Suzi East.

Ok, 1st off, N1 tyres and myself dont bond well together 👎 It feels like I am driving on ice & everytime I get :scared: cause the car just keeps sliding towards the edge of the track :nervous:

2nd of all, here are my 1st lot of splits in memory of the great man

0'22.733
0'42.491

I may come back to this combo. It all depends if I can find myself a ski mask & ski pants :)

I'm really struggling this week. I'll post some splits once I get into the 42s :boggled:

Haven't run a WRS in ages... come to think of it, I haven't been on GT5P in ages either. Anyhow, car feels nice - as always, grip level on n tyres is far more realistic than S & R's.

T1: 22.268
T2: 41.806

Forgot just how frustrating the last turn is at Suzi East.

Had another session at this awesome combo. Love N tyres. Updated splits:

T1: 22.162

T2: 41.702

Outstanding splits guys 👍

All the best
Maz

[YOUTUBEHD]zOXz4MWeMxA[/YOUTUBEHD]

I think this combo could make me cold turkey from Call Of Duty!

I loved it 👍 Unfortunately, if that was me, I would be bouncing of the walls :dopey:

I loved it 👍 Unfortunately, if that was me, I would be bouncing of the walls :dopey:

:lol: Thank you mate 👍
I actually went out on track earlier in the new combo, and i think i feel another video coming on :D Struggling to find a suitable spot for some gymkhana tom-foolery though :boggled:

Loving the video! Struggling to find more speed round Suzuka. I'm sure there's plenty I'm doing wrong - if I only I knew what those things were.

T1 0'22.588
T2 0'42.499

T1 0'22.512
T2 0'42.317

Last edited:
New splits,T1 is really shamefull :( I know I can do atleast 0.100sec faster there the rest of the lap I think is ok. Best T1 I have gotten was 22.227

T1: 22.351
T2: 42.005

I somehow ran slower splits but blazed through T3 for a faster lap.

Now I can't get faster splits or lap times.:yuck:

I see the board didnt update my splits, any ideas how that happend?
I met Joost yesterday in Alkmaar to discuss the leaderboard for GT5 and multi-combos, and he showed me some coding and how Fetchbot works.
I doubt that can be related to your problem but it is a striking coincidence. I can update your splits manually but that might make it more difficult for Joost to track down the problem.

I met Joost yesterday in Alkmaar to discuss the leaderboard for GT5 and multi-combos, and he showed me some coding and how Fetchbot works.
I doubt that can be related to your problem but it is a striking coincidence. I can update your splits manually but that might make it more difficult for Joost to track down the problem.

Hmmz yes seems like a coincidence, its not a big deal but just wanted to point it out :).

New splits :D, again T1 not good enough sector one was great. Monday will be my last try as I cant play in the weekends.

T1: 22.356
T2: 41.982

//Edit the Fetchbot did work this time 👍

Last edited:
I thought about giving up on this one, I started to get worse and worse at it and the enjoyment just disappeared. But I really dislike it when people post splits and then don't submit, so I guess I'm stuck with it :)

A whole tenth improvement at T2 for a measly 0.016 at the line :( I saw a T1 of .167 and a T2 of .797, could have cried when I messed that one up. So now I have:

T1: 22.222
T2: 41.828

And just to add to this pathetic sob story, these new splits looked ok but in the last corner the left clamp on my G25 came off the wheelstand, so that's why my last corner was so damn poor. :lol:

All the best
Maz

And just to add to this pathetic sob story, these new splits looked ok but in the last corner the left clamp on my G25 came off the wheelstand, so that's why my last corner was so damn poor. :lol:

It's always interesting when the wheel suddenly moves :scared: still cheer up, you're not exactly stuck near the bottom of the list. I'm fast running out of ideas as to how to get round any quicker :nervous:

I simply cannot get round turn one and two at anything resembling decent speed. This is pretty much my best T1.

A quick tip for those struggling....

The car actually has a decent amount of traction, but lateral grip is poor if you're overloading the front tyres. With N tyres and soft suspension it's even more important than usual to manage the weight shifts caused by changing direction or braking... so be super gentle with the wheel when trail braking in to turn 1 and when running the left-right-left-right transitions through the ESSES.

so be super gentle with the wheel when trail braking in to turn 1

Braking while turning into turn one has 100 times out of 100 lead to the tail coming out for me so I've braked in a straight line and then downshifted to fourth and engine braked through the first turn and then a gentle trail brake and downshift to third into turn two. Apex speed in turn two is slightly less than 90 kph. Third all through the esses and pretty much all the way to teh finish line

Braking while turning into turn one has 100 times out of 100 lead to the tail coming out for me so I've braked in a straight line and then downshifted to fourth and engine braked through the first turn and then a gentle trail brake and downshift to third into turn two. Apex speed in turn two is slightly less than 90 kph. Third all through the esses and pretty much all the way to teh finish line

If the back breaks out I think you are breaking to hard. I suggest breaking hard in the short straight line approaching the corner, then let of the brake pedal slowly when entering the corner. That should probely help you out.

It's possible to brake and steer at the same time (though only with very light brake pressure) early in the corner (though not once you reach the mid part of turn 1). If the back is coming round you probably have too much lock on... if you get the brake pressure/grip point/steering angle just right you can trail brake.

Back