GTPDC Month 9 .:RESUTLS ARE IN:.

• Thread starter Sheron
  • 68 comments
Erocks13
I don't know about the power thing on the double apexs. I don't have allot of power in the car I am using and I have hit it several times. Although it is one of those double apexes that doesn't really allow you to keep allot of angle through the whole thing. I still am trying to get one good lap. Hoping tonight is the night. Gotta get back now. hehe

I found power to be a big factor, I couldn't even get halfway with my original settings, but I added about 100hp and tweaked it a bit and I hit it 3 times in one day. I know how to drift double apexs well (see Double Apex in my video thread [link in sig]) including this one, so it's no stranger to me, but I had a heck of a time getting my car to keep it's angle through the corner

Oh and ForcedInduction, you might want to edit your post because people can still read Electric's text that was deleted :)
Just a heads up

ForcedInduction
Please read the rules. That is an obvious hints. Not even hints should be posted of your car selection.

Please edit your post immediately.
lol, you might want to edit yours too..

CoolGeekz
I found power to be a big factor, I couldn't even get halfway with my original settings, but I added about 100hp and tweaked it a bit and I hit it 3 times in one day. I know how to drift double apexs well (see Double Apex in my video thread [link in sig]) including this one, so it's no stranger to me, but I had a heck of a time getting my car to keep it's angle through the corner

Oh and ForcedInduction, you might want to edit your post because people can still read Electric's text that was deleted :)
Just a heads up

i agree with you CoolGeeks..with i low powered car i couldnt make the double apex easy..when i getted a high powered car i could do it almost every time..
but its not that with a low power car you cant make it..but its extremly dificult i think to make out every time so to include it in your perfect lap..
i tryed to do that so but i couldnt..:grumpy:

Erocks13
I don't know about the power thing on the double apexs. I don't have allot of power in the car I am using and I have hit it several times. Although it is one of those double apexes that doesn't really allow you to keep allot of angle through the whole thing. I still am trying to get one good lap. Hoping tonight is the night. Gotta get back now. hehe

yes a litle suffers the angle but you cant have it all in that double apex..
i think with more power you can make it out more easy..good luck tonight lol
:) :) :)

Video uploaded and PM sent. I really did not do so well this round. I just could not get all parts done great. So, no @&$%# &$&^@ for me. :( oh well there is always next month. good luck everyone.

Erocks13
Video uploaded and PM sent. I really did not do so well this round. oh well there is always next month. good luck everyone.
might want to edit your post...
goodluck everyone.

Erocks13
edit??? Why???
first off.. well name the corner you mentioned, Corner A.
say out of 5 contestants that entered, and submitted videos, 1,2,3 and 4 all made Corner A. and you didnt. that would give away which one is you, and the whole point to this is to only have the head judge know who is who, so there is no bias judging.

I have missed almost two of these now because of school. I finish my finals this next week. Then Im done.

I picked up tokyo extreme drift the other day, I have a feeling I willhave to bore of that before I get back to this.
Ill be back soon though.

^^ now the anxiety starts....

Who made the double apex, and who didn't....

Find out after the commercial break :sly:

lol, hopefully a quick turnaround like the last few weeks, kudos to the judges for their speed

There was only 1 entrant who managed to drift the double apex COMPLETELY with style, and there was another that partially drifted it. The other three entrants didn't come close.

My scores are sent.

Can I suggest something to the entrants? Never upload via rapidshare...it took me 1 hour to download a 22.3mb file. Please use sendspace or something faster.

1 VERY clear cut winner.

That is all.

Can't wait....!

If I win this one, I'm tied with Ske for most GTPDC Pro wins 3 to 3 (Ske took 4, 5, and 8, I took 6 and 7)...if I lose, well stuff happens lol

Nice turnaround FI!

[RANT]
Not to be a pain in the butt, but after watching all the other vids, I think I should've had a slightly higher score...maybe not win, but at least better than some of the vids

I know I didn't have the speed or the power of the other cars, like dory...no offense, but he had 517 hp and Nitrous, which he used in the double apex and other corners...I did the whole double apex without nitrous and in a car under 300 hp (224 [replay] I had at the time)...maybe it wasn't as fast or smokey, but I had 300 less horses...

I was also the only one to completely link every corner from the turn after the hairpin to the second tunnel (manji after the first tunnel)...also in a low power car, no one else in a high power car did it.

I even linked everything from the final tunnel after the straight to the final corner (manji of course), also in the lowest power car...Electric almost had it, (straightend a bit before the kink) and he had at least 200 horses on me.

I know in real drifting competitions, there are horsepower handicaps. I was at the Road Atlanta drifting event, in which one of the semi's had Sam in a Dodge Viper vs Taka in an AE86...now everyone knows the AE86 has at least -200 to -300 hp on the Viper, and the AE86 almost won (had to drop out due to engine overheating, too many "do overs"). He obviously couldn't out run the Viper or catch up to it when he started out behind, but he did his best to make the car perform as good as it could in the situation. I just don't think that I need 500+ hp and nitrous to win a GTPDC, I should have an equally good chance by doing my best with a 200-300 car as well. 83 hp with a Fiat 500L would be extreme, but a low power BMW should be able to get a good score, not lose because it couldn't go as fast or put out as much smoke as the others. Just to make sure the judges noticed this: dory was running in km/h...not sure if that made him look way faster than everyone else, or the judges already factored that in. Just making sure :)

I don't want to be annoying, but it seems like I should have got more points than I did (again maybe not win, but that was the best that car could do), the judges seem to be in favor of high horsepower cars...
The scores were in the order of hp (and actually these are taken off the replay, which are lower than the actual, except mine, so really I'm way down there compared to the others):
1st dory: 517
2nd erocks: 464
3rd king: 388 (actually I think he should have benn 3rd, others 4th, because 7.41 is much closer to 7.50 than 7.00.....)
3rd electric: 325
3rd geekz: 224
See something tells me this is wrong or rigged...

Even BL said:
Boundary Layer
I'd score the double higher on control and style [it might be worth a +1 or +1.5 in my marking scheme depending on execution] and I wouldnt deduct on angle and smoke because it would be a near impossible task to get all 4. The fact that you're having more difficulty with that is proof that it is a more daunting challenge worthy of a few extra points.

And quite honestly when watching vids at DF, I find it far more exciting to watch people attempt the dual apex [even if it is performed poorly], than to see no attempt at all.

Easy is not exciting.

Easy is not exciting...nitrous is easy....
I could have done the double apex with my 2000 without a turbo stage 1 and racing exhaust if I had nitrous....
So I think this was somewhat unfair to the low horsepower guy, and people know I don't like high horsepower cars (I tried a 600+ hp Audi, no luck with this track)...so I think the scores should be tailored to the car and how good the driver can drive it, not just how flashy you can be by using 500 hp and nitrous (no offense to dory, nice run, but I think nitrous [especially in a 500+ hp car] is kinda cheating, since I did the same thing with 283 hp no nitrous).

No offense to any drivers...just my opinion on hp and drifting

Congratz to all except me 👎

CG
[/RANT]

EDIT: Electric...... was banned? ouch (read his profile, obviously he is mad at someone or something)...salutes to a good drifter and WRS driver

EDIT2: about the use of nitrous in drifting, I just wanted to post this link
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64088&highlight=Nos+Drifting

I know nitrous wasn't needed for this comp, especially in the M5...I tried the M5 once for this, after I kept having problems with the 2000...it can EASILY do the double apex, there was no need to use nitrous for it. Also on the back section to link the corners, you really did not need it, if I pulled it off with the 2000 almost every lap I drifted. Even my GTPDC3 entry with a Mazda Autozam AZ-1 with 123 hp didn't need nitrous for the bigger corners....(I used to have nitrous equipped on the Autozam because it's so slow, but in that comp I didn't need it, and I actually don't use it anymore, only cars under 100hp should actually have to use nitrous, but anything over that is just weakness)
Seriously, I think there are better ways to increase the angle of a drift, without resorting to nitrous...so I think getting points for smoke and angle when using nitrous is crap. Nitrous may make for a good looking vid, long drifts, and high angles, but really I see it as a weakness and just a cover up for something you couldn't normally do without extra horsepower [especially true in a high horsepower car].

Obviously I'm kinda angry at the moment, sorry...give me a warning or ban me, I don't care, I'm just trying to get my point across...

Sorry dory, I'm not angry at you, more at the judges...you're a good drifter, actually a really good drifter, but I don't think you needed nitrous for your run
No hard feelings? [hopefully] *shakes hands*

EDIT3: my horsepower, according to replay to be like the others, is 224...so I made the appropriete changes to my rant. I will post my replay with the horsepower in it to show I'm not wrong, give me a sec

CoolGeekz
[RANT]
Not to be a pain in the butt, but after watching all the other vids, I think I should've had a slightly higher score...maybe not win, but at least better than some of the vids

I know I didn't have the speed or the power of the other cars, like dory...no offense, but he had 517 hp and Nitrous, which he used in the double apex and other corners...I did the whole double apex without nitrous and in a car under 300 hp (224 [replay] I had at the time)...maybe it wasn't as fast or smokey, but I had 300 less horses...

I was also the only one to completely link every corner from the turn after the hairpin to the second tunnel (manji after the first tunnel)...also in a low power car, no one else in a high power car did it.

I even linked everything from the final tunnel after the straight to the final corner (manji of course), also in the lowest power car...Electric almost had it, (straightend a bit before the kink) and he had at least 200 horses on me.

I know in real drifting competitions, there are horsepower handicaps. I was at the Road Atlanta drifting event, in which one of the semi's had Sam in a Dodge Viper vs Taka in an AE86...now everyone knows the AE86 has at least -200 to -300 hp on the Viper, and the AE86 almost won (had to drop out due to engine overheating, too many "do overs"). He obviously couldn't out run the Viper or catch up to it when he started out behind, but he did his best to make the car perform as good as it could in the situation. I just don't think that I need 500+ hp and nitrous to win a GTPDC, I should have an equally good chance by doing my best with a 200-300 car as well. 83 hp with a Fiat 500L would be extreme, but a low power BMW should be able to get a good score, not lose because it couldn't go as fast or put out as much smoke as the others. Just to make sure the judges noticed this: dory was running in km/h...not sure if that made him look way faster than everyone else, or the judges already factored that in. Just making sure :)

I don't want to be annoying, but it seems like I should have got more points than I did (again maybe not win, but that was the best that car could do), the judges seem to be in favor of high horsepower cars...
The scores were in the order of hp (and actually these are taken off the replay, which are lower than the actual, except mine, so really I'm way down there compared to the others):
1st dory: 517
2nd erocks: 464
3rd king: 388 (actually I think he should have benn 3rd, others 4th, because 7.41 is much closer to 7.50 than 7.00.....)
3rd electric: 325
3rd geekz: 224
See something tells me this is wrong or rigged...

Even BL said:

Easy is not exciting...nitrous is easy....
I could have done the double apex with my 2000 without a turbo stage 1 and racing exhaust if I had nitrous....
So I think this was somewhat unfair to the low horsepower guy, and people know I don't like high horsepower cars (I tried a 600+ hp Audi, no luck with this track)...so I think the scores should be tailored to the car and how good the driver can drive it, not just how flashy you can be by using 500 hp and nitrous (no offense to dory, nice run, but I think nitrous [especially in a 500+ hp car] is kinda cheating, since I did the same thing with 283 hp no nitrous).

No offense to any drivers...just my opinion on hp and drifting

Congratz to all except me 👎

CG
[/RANT]

EDIT: Electric...... was banned? ouch (read his profile, obviously he is mad at someone or something)...salutes to a good drifter and WRS driver

EDIT2: about the use of nitrous in drifting, I just wanted to post this link
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64088&highlight=Nos+Drifting

I know nitrous wasn't needed for this comp, especially in the M5...I tried the M5 once for this, after I kept having problems with the 2000...it can EASILY do the double apex, there was no need to use nitrous for it. Also on the back section to link the corners, you really did not need it, if I pulled it off with the 2000 almost every lap I drifted. Even my GTPDC3 entry with a Mazda Autozam AZ-1 with 123 hp didn't need nitrous for the bigger corners....(I used to have nitrous equipped on the Autozam because it's so slow, but in that comp I didn't need it, and I actually don't use it anymore, only cars under 100hp should actually have to use nitrous, but anything over that is just weakness)
Seriously, I think there are better ways to increase the angle of a drift, without resorting to nitrous...so I think getting points for smoke and angle when using nitrous is crap. Nitrous may make for a good looking vid, long drifts, and high angles, but really I see it as a weakness and just a cover up for something you couldn't normally do without extra horsepower [especially true in a high horsepower car].

Obviously I'm kinda angry at the moment, sorry...give me a warning or ban me, I don't care, I'm just trying to get my point across...

Sorry dory, I'm not angry at you, more at the judges...you're a good drifter, actually a really good drifter, but I don't think you needed nitrous for your run
No hard feelings? [hopefully] *shakes hands*

EDIT3: my horsepower, according to replay to be like the others, is 224...so I made the appropriete changes to my rant. I will post my replay with the horsepower in it to show I'm not wrong, give me a sec

If we are going to have people complain about their scores, might as well fold the competition. I think you're the first one to do it.

There is no handicap for horsepower because there is no limit for horsepower. You're not going to get more points because you drifted a lower horsepower car (atleast that's the way I see it). Since the power is "open" to anything, using a lower powered car is to your disadvantage; and that in-turn held you back on your angle, smoke, and possibly style.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but you can't blame the judges for giving you a lower score in this situation. The black M5 had a clean run and it really stood out.

For future reference, there will be no "Lower Horsepower Standards Judging" in the future, nor has there been something like that in past competitions. If there's no limit on horsepower, suit yourselves and use whatever you'd like.

ForcedInduction
If we are going to have people complain about their scores, might as well fold the competition. I think you're the first one to do it.

There is no handicap for horsepower because there is no limit for horsepower. You're not going to get more points because you drifted a lower horsepower car (atleast that's the way I see it). Since the power is "open" to anything, using a lower powered car is to your disadvantage; and that in-turn held you back on your angle, smoke, and possibly style.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but you can't blame the judges for giving you a lower score.

I don't care if the scores are fixed, DQ me, I don't care. And, yes, I do know I'm the first :)

I respect your opinion, I'm just saying you shouldn't need a 500 hp car to win or place well in a GTPDC...some people can't afford 500 hp cars, so they lose because they don't have that much money? Of course money is easy to make in GT4, but still, some people could automatically be at a disadvantage because of this. It should be more skill at drifting a car than how much power you have and get a flashy vid. Yes a slow car is more boring, but in some cases (like a double apex) it is more difficult to use one than to use a high hp car.

Sorry for being a moron, but I just see this as wrong

My vid with the horsepower and better sound is almost uploaded, I will edit this post.

EDIT: http://www.savefile.com/files/4120516 <-- vid link, with the hp

Just to put this in perspective:
If you had a 200hp Corolla Levin and a 500 hp RX-7 FD, and they had similar runs, which would you give extra points to? The Levin, because it's harder to do the things the RX-7 can, therefore it requires more skill to drift that well than it does the RX-7...

See my point? If not, then read again.

Sorry for ranting, complaining, being an a--hole, and taking up bandwidth with a huge post, but I can't sleep and let this go unnoticed.

CoolGeekz
I don't care if the scores are fixed, DQ me, I don't care. And, yes, I do know I'm the first :)

I respect your opinion, I'm just saying you shouldn't need a 500 hp car to win or place well in a GTPDC...some people can't afford 500 hp cars, so they lose because they don't have that much money? Of course money is easy to make in GT4, but still, some people could automatically be at a disadvantage because of this. It should be more skill at drifting a car than how much power you have and get a flashy vid. Yes a slow car is more boring, but in some cases (like a double apex) it is more difficult to use one than to use a high hp car.

Sorry for being a moron, but I just see this as wrong

My vid with the horsepower and better sound is almost uploaded, I will edit this post.

EDIT: http://www.savefile.com/files/4120516 <-- vid link, with the hp

Just to put this in perspective:
If you had a 200hp Corolla Levin and a 500 hp RX-7 FD, and they had similar runs, which would you give extra points to? The Levin, because it's harder to do the things the RX-7 can, therefore it requires more skill to drift that well than it does the RX-7...

See my point? If not, then read again.

Sorry for ranting, complaining, being an a--hole, and taking up bandwidth with a huge post, but I can't sleep and let this go unnoticed.

Again, if you're looking to get more points by setting the judging criteria based on a lower standard, you've got the wrong idea.

And again, this isn't a horsepower limited race.

Seeing your remade vid, you would have gotten more points for that entry over your original. However, IMHO, the M5 still would have won.

In answer to your 200hp levin vs. 500hp rx-7...
If they had similar runs, they would receive similar scores. End of story. That's just how the GTPDC works. I've been doing this since the GT3 days.

In answer to your "What if money is an issue?" question...
If money's the issue, just shell out what you can. It's not the judges fault if you lack the money to buy better cars, is it? Again, going back to the car limitations: There are no limitations whatsoever. Anyone can use any European car.

I hope there won't be any disagreements in the future. Maybe we, as judges, should state specifically that lower horsepower cars will not receive more points because of a disadvantage. But seeing that the scores really do line up from judge to judge, I think most of that information is already inferred by the judges.

ForcedInduction
Again, if you're looking to get more points by setting the judging criteria based on a lower standard, you've got the wrong idea.

And again, this isn't a horsepower limited race.

Seeing your remade vid, you would have gotten more points for that entry over your original. However, IMHO, the M5 still would have won.

In answer to your 200hp levin vs. 500hp rx-7...
If they had similar runs, they would receive similar scores. End of story. That's just how the GTPDC works. I've been doing this since the GT3 days.

In answer to your "What if money is an issue?" question...
If money's the issue, just shell out what you can. It's not the judges fault if you lack the money to buy better cars, is it? Again, going back to the car limitations: There are no limitations whatsoever. Anyone can use any European car.

I hope there won't be any disagreements in the future. Maybe we, as judges, should state specifically that lower horsepower cars will not receive more points because of a disadvantage. But seeing that the scores really do line up from judge to judge, I think most of that information is already inferred by the judges.

K now I know for future reference...thanks, I will take note of this
Now to part company with my low hp cars (at least for GTPDC) and use the settings I used for the remade vid (first time I tried a new program to capture, sound is really nice 👍 )

Thanks,
CG

CoolGeekz
K now I know for future reference...thanks, I will take note of this
Now to part company with my low hp cars (at least for GTPDC) and use the settings I used for the remade vid (first time I tried a new program to capture, sound is really nice 👍 )

Thanks,
CG

I'm glad you understand.

Just for reference, your control score is 2nd place in the category.

This competition is based on a game.
This competition has it's own rules.

So just get rid of real life "scene" when you catch the controller or the DFP. This is a different world, the virtual world.

Back