GTPlanet gets Active on the Desktop!

• Thread starter LoudMusic
  • 89 comments
United States
Everywhere
I've been dabling in Active Desktop for a while, making rinky dink html desktops for myself. I thought it would be cool to take on a bigger project that more than I will benifit from. I've made a simple Active Desktop style webpage for GTPlanet. It includes the more popular links to items on GTPlanet, plus a few extra fun things (:

It has a javascript date & time script that pulls the date and time from your system and displays it right on the desktop. I've also found a really cool javascript that randomly selects an image from a list and loads it in a given place. Every time your computer refreshes the desktop, there'll be a new image. Pretty cool, eh?

I'm running Windows 2000 SP2 with all the 'critical updates' applied, and Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2. I'm sure that as long as you have everything fully updated, it will work just fine. I do recomend using at least 1024x768 resolution at 24bit color. This makes the images look the best and fit on your screen. I'm using 1600x1200 at 32bit color and it looks really sharp! I also turn off the desktop icons so there isn't any clutter. That takes some getting used to, because you have to find another way of geting to your files. Future version of these desktops will include links to local directories like the desktop folder, the my documents folder, and the system drive.

Well, here are some links so you can see what I'm talking about:

UPDATE: It's all been moved here: https://www.gtplanet.net/multimedia/activedesktop/

To set your computer to use this "Active Desktop", download this zip file (2.2MB), and extract it. Then right click on your desktop and select properties. You will be at "Display Properties" where you can click the Browse button and select the index.hml file that you extract from the zip file. If you don't have Active Desktop enabled, it will ask you if you would like to do that.

In the lower right corner is a link to the users control pannel. Since the required information is pulled from a cookie on your computer, all you have to do is change "LoudMusic" to your GTPlanet nickname ... or whatever you want (: To do that, just open the index.html file in a text editor (like Notepad) and search for "LoudMusic", and replace it.

I hope this works for everyone, and you understand what I'm talking about. If not, that's ok, maybe we can do some education in this thread. I'll try to answer any questions you have.

~LoudMusic

This is great man. I'm downloading the file even as I type this message. Active desktop, eh? What a concept, I can't wait to give it a shot. So how many hours (minutes) do you figure you have on putting this together? Could you direct me to some resources that could get me started in creating Active Desktops as well? I can think of a hundred different reasons why this would be a outstanding technology to take advantage of.

:cheers: Good show LoudMusic.

BTW - just a little conceptual stuff, are active desktops no more than webpages embedded into your desktop screen? I never really thought about it.

Also - have you ever dabbled in the area of Desktop Theme's? Humm... That would be cool.

~later~

Hey, very nice man! I like it, except could you write an auto-sence mode where it will detect that my boss is heading my way, so the active-desktop will automatically hide?

:thumbsup:

Originally posted by Pako
This is great man. I'm downloading the file even as I type this message. Active desktop, eh? What a concept, I can't wait to give it a shot. So how many hours (minutes) do you figure you have on putting this together? Could you direct me to some resources that could get me started in creating Active Desktops as well? I can think of a hundred different reasons why this would be a outstanding technology to take advantage of.

:cheers: Good show LoudMusic.

BTW - just a little conceptual stuff, are active desktops no more than webpages embedded into your desktop screen? I never really thought about it.

Also - have you ever dabbled in the area of Desktop Theme's? Humm... That would be cool.

~later~

Yes, essentially the Desktop is a 'special folder'. With IE 4, Microsoft integrated the IE browser into the operating system. There was no difference between Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer. They added the ability to put backgrounds in folder windows and that funky web bar on the left side. The next step was to apply that to the desktop.

So yes, Active Desktop is basically a webpage (or html file) embedded on the desktop.

I haven't found ANY resources worth noting. I just kind of stumbled into it one day and started trying new things out. The only limitation I've found is that the file MUST have a <body> tag. That means you can't use a frameset page for your desktop. BUT you can use an <iframe> which is pretty spiffy (: There have been a few weird <form> and javascript errors that I've gotten on the desktop but not in a browser window, but they were all fixed with some tweaking. The easiest way to fix that sort of thing is to put the buggy code in its own file and load it in an <iframe> .... which is my eventual plan for making something really cool with active desktop.

~LoudMusic

Hey, very nice man! I like it, except could you write an auto-sence mode where it will detect that my boss is heading my way, so the active-desktop will automatically hide?

:thumbsup:

Well, if you've got a webcam we could work on some image recognition software (: It could even open an excel document and make it look like you've been working the whole time! (: (:

~LoudMusic

Originally posted by LoudMusic

Well, if you've got a webcam we could work on some image recognition software (: It could even open an excel document and make it look like you've been working the whole time! (: (:

~LoudMusic

Hey. . . . .:fdevil: that could really come in handy!!! It would have to be pretty good software though. Some days he looks meaner than others. :lol:

I'll keep that in mind. You know what would really be cool is a projected image in my seat that makes me appear to be at work. Is your company into that kind of technologies? :D

Yes, essentially the Desktop is a 'special folder'. With IE 4, Microsoft integrated the IE browser into the operating system. There was no difference between Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer. They added the ability to put backgrounds in folder windows and that funky web bar on the left side. The next step was to apply that to the desktop.

So yes, Active Desktop is basically a webpage (or html file) embedded on the desktop.

I haven't found ANY resources worth noting. I just kind of stumbled into it one day and started trying new things out. The only limitation I've found is that the file MUST have a <body> tag. That means you can't use a frameset page for your desktop. BUT you can use an <iframe> which is pretty spiffy (: There have been a few weird <form> and javascript errors that I've gotten on the desktop but not in a browser window, but they were all fixed with some tweaking. The easiest way to fix that sort of thing is to put the buggy code in its own file and load it in an <iframe> .... which is my eventual plan for making something really cool with active desktop.

~LoudMusic

Hey thanks for the input. I'll do some checking into it. I would really like to setup some downloads for the fans of Blue Onion (my band). Any advertising is always good man.

So have you dabbled in the field of "Desktop Theme's"? I would really like to get into that, but where to start.. :confused:

Hey thanks for the input. I'll do some checking into it. I would really like to setup some downloads for the fans of Blue Onion (my band). Any advertising is always good man.

So have you dabbled in the field of "Desktop Theme's"? I would really like to get into that, but where to start.. :confused:

Actually, no. There is a free program somewhere on the net to package the different pieces into one "theme file". Actually I think it's just a zip file or something with a text file that says which file is assigned to what aspect of the theme ... cursors and icons ... etcetera.

~LoudMusic

Just use microsoft frontpage express (free) and make a website.

I personally use Dreamweaver, but that might be a bit expensive if you are not a web developer....

Originally posted by Deathhawk
Just use microsoft frontpage express (free) and make a website.

I personally use Dreamweaver, but that might be a bit expensive if you are not a web developer....

Dreamweaver is fine. . . . . Flash? Java Applets? All compatible? I've got some playing around to do.... :D

Dreamweaver is fine. . . . . Flash? Java Applets? All compatible? I've got some playing around to do.... :D

As far as I know ... it all works. I've even used this interactive dolphin for my desktop before (move your mouse, the dolphin will swim to it!). The problem with that is Flash will peg your processor for all it's worth.

Check out the java calendar, calculator, and mastermind (my favorite). I didn't write these, but I stole them fair and square (:

Anyway ...

~LoudMusic

As far as I know ... it all works. I've even used this interactive dolphin for my desktop before (move your mouse, the dolphin will swim to it!). The problem with that is Flash will peg your processor for all it's worth.

Check out the java calendar, calculator, and mastermind (my favorite). I didn't write these, but I stole them fair and square (:

Anyway ...

~LoudMusic

That's great man. Love the dolphin. Too bad the mastermind link was broken. Maybe it will work tomarrow. :D

:cheers:

This is freakin awesome!!! Looks great on my big drafting moniter too...

One question though... when it refreshes sometimes the picture appear to be to big, and my name disappears... any way to fix this?

Way to go man, I was looking for an update on my computer wallpaper!! :thumbsup:

does it auto refresh? guess i will find out....

can i add pictures to the list, as long as its in the same folder?

i put my real name in the bottom, looks more professional at work, when i am away from my desk. :lol:

Originally posted by Magic069
This is freakin awesome!!! Looks great on my big drafting moniter too...

One question though... when it refreshes sometimes the picture appear to be to big, and my name disappears... any way to fix this?

Way to go man, I was looking for an update on my computer wallpaper!! :thumbsup:

I think the minimum screen resolution for all the pictures to load properly would be 1024x768. There might still be a couple that don't open just right. I use 1600x1200 and there is a LOT of black space above and below the images.

ADDING TO THE LIST
Yes, it is quite easy to add to the list. If you add images to the images folder, then edit the index.html file to include them (you'll see the list), they should load just fine. Remember to increment the image lines. Follow by example I suppose.

~LoudMusic

Ask and ye shall receive ...

Mastermind

Mastermind is an old board game.

~LoudMusic

Hey, right on man. It's not too bad once you figure out the system, eh?

:cool:

GTPlanet Formula 1 Desktop

I had all these cool ideas for a new version, and I just don't have the motivation to make them work right now. Oh well. So instead I've made some adjustments to this one and made a whole new Formula 1 image set, including 170 images ... almost THREE TIMES as many as the first one.

F1 Desktop Demo

Download the zip file (6.7mb, sorry about the size, but I like my images to be high quality)

F1 Desktop Image Gallery

All the images are from Formula1.com (babes included) (:

A few of my favorites:

I added links to local directories. They're just under the "GTPlanet.net" logo on the top. You'll have to change them to your directory addresses if they're not already correct, though. I did that because I personally like to turn off the desktop icons when I use an active desktop. It makes it much more clean looking. Anyway ... check it out. And visit the formula1.com website, it's got some really cool pictures.

~LoudMusic

Originally posted by ZeroCool85
Gotta love those women!!! God they are hott!!!

Duuuuuuuuuuude.

imqualglamour.jpg

HOT HOT HOT

~LoudMusic

I'm using the F1 thing at home, and the origonal one at work. I can't believe how cheesy the images look on the origonal! I'm going to have to redeem myself (:

MORE TO COME! STAY TUNED!

~LoudMusic

Back