GTPlanet GP2 Championship (NTSC Drivers)

• Thread starter Suede53
  • 46 comments
Suede53 / GTP_Suede53
GTP GP2 World Championship
GP2.gif

Organised in co-operation with the GTPlanet F1 World Championship

Hello all, welcome to the 1st unofficial GTPlanet GP2 Championship for Formula 1 Championship Edition. This is being organised for fun and as such, drivers of all levels of skill are welcome!

Race organisers:​

Suede53
Ardius

Race Schedule:
Australian Grand Prix
Date: TBD
Time: TBD
Length: 20 laps + Qualifying
Weather: Dry

Rules
  • The maximum drivers participating will be 10
  • Points are awarded as follows:
    1st:10 pts
    2nd:8 pts
    3rd:6 pts
    4th:5 pts
    5th:4 pts
    6th:3 pts
    7th:2 pts
    8th:1 pt.
    Also, 1 point for fastest lap.
  • Drivers must start at least one race to be counted in the championship.
  • If you are unable to make the race, please notify me or one of the race organisors, you will be marked as a DNQ and recieve no points.
  • If you want to allow someone else to take your position at a team, or if a team wishes to make a driver change, then the driver being changed will effectively be forfeitting the championship. Any points scored before hand will still be counted, but any achieved afterwards will be counted towards the new driver. This does not affect the team's points however.
  • Collisions and damage will be on - which means we expect all drivers to wait for any drivers they have accidentally knocked out of the race and give their position back. It is the responsibility of the car behind to avoid accidents. The car in front should never have to wait if involved in an accident. If brake testing was involved, then obviously it will need to be proved.
  • During racing, it is also expected of all drivers to comply with the 1 block rule. Any drivers found to be repeatedly ignoring this rule will firstly have points docked, and, if the driver still refuses to comply, the driver will be kicked from the championship and lose all points.
    The one block rule is referring to the standard rule employed in most motor racing, where only one block is allowed on a straight and then the driver blocking has to commit to that new line.
    The rule applies only to the upcoming corner, it resets for the next corner and so on, so you can keep blocking through a sequence of corners, but you can't repeatedly block on a straight.
    The main reason this is done is to avoid accidents, keep the racing going and also to encourage more elaborate strategies about how to keep ahead of the guy behind, such as allowing him to pass but then pressuring him into a mistake or taking new lines around the track which force him to allow you past, etc.
  • It is up to the drivers to ensure that everyone is racing for fun first and foremost and to ensure that everyone is given fair racing room and respected equally on the track. However, if arguments arise over racing incidents, warnings and instant bans will be enforced - all points will be taken off and the driver will be kicked out of the championship. With regards to this, I ask all drivers to please be aware of the "lag bubble" that is employed online in F1:CE and to take care when battling with another driver - sometimes it will seem you have not touched the other driver at all but in actual fact the lag bubble has caused you to take them out. Please keep this in mind and watch out for it, you will be expected to wait for the driver(s) as it is considered an unfair advantage.
  • Before each race there will be a 5 minute waiting period allowing for any late-comers to join in time for qualifying. We will not start the race earlier even if all drivers have joined.

Drivers
There are 10 available slots for drivers

Driver seats are given to anyone who is interested. Anyone would like to run in the F1 league will start racing here first. Currently, this only applies to NTSC-region players because of the massive interest on this side. At the end of the season, all drivers currently in the F1 championship will be offered a seat for the next season, but if over 5 drivers take up the seats, then the drivers with the lowest points will be the ones who are dropped and drivers from GP2 will be promoted.
Drivers being dropped at the end of the year will have the chance to earn back the seat by racing in the GP2 championship. In the case of drivers dropping out permanently or temporarily, their seats will be filled with the current top GP2 driver.

Car Number - Driver Name

1 - Suede53
2 - Z (PSN ID: FormulaNone)
3 - chiboss1
4 - MasterCivil (PSN ID: mybrindle)

GP2 Drivers Championship Table:
gp2_standings.png

A password will be given for each race and practice session, I or one of the other race organisers will post the password here (though Private Messages) before hosting the race.

Race Results
Bahrain GP2 Race 1 results
Sepang GP2 Race 2 results

Feedback is much appreciated!

The NTSC F1 championship is scheduled to run their second race tomorrow, January 4th, 9:00PM EST. Please let me know as soon as possible if you are able to run at this time.

Last edited:
I'm good to go for Sunday at 9PM EST. What to look for online - room name, number of practices, number of qualification and race laps....

I am able to run tomorrow evening. When will you be sending out PMs?

Look forward to seeing you lot there . .

If you want, I can handle sending out the PMs alongside the F1 PMs?
I can also give you the BB code for my first post for the F1 thread for you to copy and edit :)

If you want, I can handle sending out the PMs alongside the F1 PMs?
I can also give you the BB code for my first post for the F1 thread for you to copy and edit :)

That would be great, thanks!

I was going to ask you if you could send me that too so I didn't have to guess to match your formatting.

:cheers:

I'm good to go for Sunday at 9PM EST. What to look for online - room name, number of practices, number of qualification and race laps....

Qualifying online doesn't work the same as offline, it will basically spawn you on an empty track and give you around 5 miuntes (usually about 3-4 laps) to set a fast time.
After that, it will spawn everyone on the same track in the qualifying positions.

The laps will be the maximum allowed online - which is 20. Also, you can't pick fuel strategies or tires (weather doesn't change during online races, it can only be changed before the race starts). So, you will always usually be on a 2 stop strategy though its possible on some tracks to make a 1 stop if you are economical with your driving.

I'd also like to make it clear that AI positions won't count towards the final result, the only purpose of the AI is to allow late-joining players to join the game (as they take the place of the AI), hence they will only be set to medium difficulty. Also, AI online is permanently ghosted (which is the reason why they won't count towards our results, because its fairly unfair), so don't think that because you can drive through the AI, you can drive through other players, as collisions will be on, but they only apply to players, not AI.

Just a thought, mayby run this series on a different night so if we need a fill in one will be available.:)

Just a thought, mayby run this series on a different night so if we need a fill in one will be available.:)

Well, at the moment, its being run at the exact same time, so it shouldn't be a problem, usually if you need any fill in's, we already know a bit in advance.
In fact, its probably better they're run on the same night, because then we know that the GP2 drivers can definitely race on that night.

Sorry for the delay, I had some stuff to do after the race last night and today is my first day back to work after a 2 week vacation :banghead:

GP2 Bahrain Results

1 - chiboss1
2 - FormulaNone (aka Z)
3 - GTP_Suede53

Fastest Lap: chiboss1 - 1:31.286

All in all, the first GP2 was a success. chiboss was fast and ran away with the whole thing. Z and I had some good battles several times. There was slight contact at the start in Turn 1 but I wasn't damaged and Z waited for me. There was only one other incident late in the race, that in my opinion was no one's fault and just a racing incident. With time and familiarity with each other, I doubt that it would have happened. We both tried to give each other room and ended up getting in each others way. :D Afterwards, we both waited for each other and after a short bit of "after you, no, after you, no after you,..." we both resumed racing and would have finished nose to tail but I spun coming out of the last corner pushing too hard and trying to get ahead of Z's draft. Good racing by all and a fine start to the GP2 season. 👍

:cheers:

Last edited:
You only have 3 people racing?

Yes. The decision was made to start this league as the list of NTSC reserve drivers was large enough and to hopefully attract more interest and drivers. Initially, it would've been four but one of the F1 drivers had to drop out.

If this was PAL I would join, I didn't do well in the first F1 season and I'm not doing very well in this second season either.

I will be traveling starting next Sunday afternoon until that following Thursday evening.

Can we move up the next race at Sepang to Saturday afternoon or evening? Anytime this week would work for me as well.

chiboss1

I will be traveling starting next Sunday afternoon until that following Thursday evening.

Can we move up the next race at Sepang to Saturday afternoon or evening? Anytime this week would work for me as well.

chiboss1

I think we should keep it as close to the F1 races as possible. How would Saturday at 10pm EST work for everyone?

UPDATE:

Everyone has confirmed via PM's that Saturday, Jan. 10th, 10pm EST will work. After this race, we will fall back to the original schedule of Sundays at 9pm EST.

Last edited:
Rules seem clear enough, but is there a set number of pits that must be taken?

You are only limited by the online system, which gives you a 2 stop strategy always, you unfortunately can't change it (apart from either crashing and taking several pit stops or driving really economically and managing to make the fuel and tyres last long enough for a 1-stop).

I wanted to start a discussion (share my limited experience) on the "driving bubble" when collision is on while racing in online mode. Not having played much with collision on, I have experienced the lag bubble from behind and in front of me.

From behind I was hit and ended up off track and spun. In front while approaching another car, the object is closer than it really is! Meaning, you have a barrier/bubble that is bigger then your car. I ran up on the other driver and it appeared I had room to get very close before passing. Next thing I see is the other driver spinning off the track in front of me.

I can see it is important to keep a safe distance from the driver in front of you while racing.

Is the bubble "all round" the car, or only "in front"?

From my experience it is all around, but more like an ellipse with the long axis running the length of the car. You can get fairly close side-to-side and in some cases even touch but nose-to-tail is very tricky. It's hard to judge where the bubble really ends and like chiboss said, it will look like you have a ton of room and all of the sudden the car in front will spin out, lose a wing, etc.

Results from Sepang:
1 chiboss1
2 FormulaNone

Fast Lap: 131:562 I think - chiboss1

Very close race from start to finish. FormulaNone took the lead with 4 laps remaining. chiboss1 was chasing FN down but still behind. FN got a pen mid-way in the last lap which cost hime the race. Great Race FormulaNone!!

Results from Sepang:
1 chiboss1
2 FormulaNone

Fast Lap: 131:562 I think - chiboss1

Very close race from start to finish. FormulaNone took the lead with 4 laps remaining. chiboss1 was chasing FN down but still behind. FN got a pen mid-way in the last lap which cost hime the race. Great Race FormulaNone!!

My mistake.. fast lap is 1s faster than that at a 1'30.562. Excellent run, chi. We both had some mistakes along the way and took different fuel strategies, but somehow the difference was only 2.5s at the end -- fantastic.

I must've got ahead of you when you took your second stop. In truth, I thought you had an accident entering the pits for some reason and let off the pace for two laps. When I realized you weren't just shadowing me, I picked it back up but it wasn't enough. Shame the others were unable to join us, but that's the most fun I've had racing just one other person. I don't know that I'll be able to keep that pace in the wet, but hopefully it's another stormer in Melbourne.

Ok, Biggles has decided to retire from the F1 championship, so I offer to chiboss1 the second driver seat at Team Lofus as he is currently leading GP2. However, I'm not sure if this is fair, I know I stated this as the original rules, but chiboss was the last person to be added to the reserve list for F1, I want to offer Suede the seat because he was next in line for one, but that might stop this thread entirely and take out the whole point of this championship.

Also, with this I just realised there might be a problem in future, Suede, how do you feel about continuing to host this event if you ever got promoted to F1? Of course, someone else would need to host the races, but would you mind organising this thread still?

Lastly, I don't know what you and Z want to do now there are only 2 of you. If no-one else shows any interest, it might not be worth continuing this. However, its up to you guys.
EDIT: Nevermind, I forgot that mastercivil joined, I should really add him to the reserve list too.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back