GTPlanet Stock Car Challenge

United States
Massachusetts
llClaude_Speedll
BlazingSol05
Greetings to all,
I've thought about doing an organized challenge where you use a stock vehicle and attempt to get the best time on a chosen track. You'll have exactly one week to run laps with the vehicle chosen on the selected track. The car/track combo will change every Wednesday night at 7PM EST (convert that to your timezone). With every passing week, the member who manages the quickest time will be granted the ability to choose the next car and track combination.

RULES
1) No tuning or upgrading of any kind. This includes mod packs of any kind.
2) Liveries are allowed, but no offensive or inappropriate liveries.
3) Clean laps ONLY. If there's an '!' next to the time, it's a dirty lap, and will not count.
4) If your time is challenged, be sure to have proof of the time ready (i.e. picture of leaderboard, full replay, etc.)
5) Assists are allowed.
6) You must race on the EXACT track chosen. For example, if the track chosen is Yas Marina North at night, you MUST run the track at night.
7) Most importantly, have fun! This is meant to be relaxing, civil, and challenging all at the same time.
8) No DLC cars of any kind please. This includes unicorn cars, promotional cars, and other cars that have limited access by all players.

RESULTS
Week 1: VW Golf GTI VR6 @ Indy GP Alt. WINNER: Im_Lukas

Week 2: Ferrari 430 Scuderia @ Lemans Bugatti Circuit Rain. WINNER: VICGT1970

Week 3: Ford Shelby GT350R @ Lime Rock Park Full Circuit. WINNER: VICGT1970

Week 4: Bugatti EB110 @ Long Beach Full Circuit. WINNER: sutuki

Week 5: Mercedes-Benz 190E @ Sonoma Short Circuit. WINNER: Im_Lukas

Last edited:
Welp, after 7 laps, I managed to get down to a 2:03.576. This Golf handles like a dang boat, which is funny, considering my D400 version handles like it's on rails. :P

Sorry @ZDUPH I had to give this a go :P. I also found it's handling rather boat-like, compared to my C class Lime Rock racer.

I hit a 2:00.237 so far, and if I have time I will try to reach under the 2 minute mark, but don't count on it ;).

I just ran about 10 laps or so, I got down to a 2:05.136. I can do better than that, there's about 5-6 spots I can really improve the way I handle the turn. This car is kind of funny stock. :crazy:

I managed 4 laps, 2.05.509 and I'm spent, off for a surf I'll try again later.

Update, less coffee today and a 2.02.95, still clumsy but getting there.

Last edited:
26 laps ran in total, finally got every corner down more or less on a single lap, and just edging under the 2 minute mark with a 1:59.770. The hardest corners for me have been 2 and 3 (the very slow hairpins) as I kept finding myself running too slow through 2 and then off line for 3. Here is the game clip (skip to 30 seconds to see the actual lap):

*And 20 seconds in you'll see my right mirror enter the wall briefly :lol:

Looks like @Im_Lukas will be picking the car and track each week. :lol:

I'll try to see if I can get my time down a bit, before I get bored or frustrated, whichever comes first. ADD can be a 🤬. 👍

Well I got a tad bit faster. Up to 2:04.023. The last major turn, not the two little ones right before you get on to the main track, I lose so much time there. It seems any ghost I pick, I can hang with them pretty decent until that section of track. I lose a good 1.5 seconds through that.

Looks like @Im_Lukas will be picking the car and track each week. :lol:

I'll try to see if I can get my time down a bit, before I get bored or frustrated, whichever comes first. ADD can be a 🤬. 👍

IF I do win more than once I'm always happy to just pass the selection to the next player 👍, I usually get bored of my own selections quickly anyway. This car and track is something I'd never have thought about but I feel it works quite well as there's a big focus on just getting the lines perfect, rather than struggling to keep the car under control.

Boredom isn't a problem for me, but frustration... :ouch:. My frustration usually comes from setting targets which may be a bit too optimistic, for example in the February bounty hunter event I was happy with my time but was then targeting one of my friends who has many #1's in various classes, which just isn't a realistic target... yet :mischievous:. I don't know how but one day I will mount a decent challenge to his times, I am determined :lol:.

IF I do win more than once I'm always happy to just pass the selection to the next player 👍, I usually get bored of my own selections quickly anyway. This car and track is something I'd never have thought about but I feel it works quite well as there's a big focus on just getting the lines perfect, rather than struggling to keep the car under control.

Boredom isn't a problem for me, but frustration... :ouch:. My frustration usually comes from setting targets which may be a bit too optimistic, for example in the February bounty hunter event I was happy with my time but was then targeting one of my friends who has many #1's in various classes, which just isn't a realistic target... yet :mischievous:. I don't know how but one day I will mount a decent challenge to his times, I am determined :lol:.
I was just messing around with you about the car and track lol. I know the type of person you are though, and you would let other people pick. When I do race online, I like when other people pick the track. It don't matter to me. :cheers:

I've always had a short attention span and ADD, I love doing rivals, but I can only do them in short spurts because I lose concentration after a bit. When we did the Formula Mazda races, I did have a lot of fun, but when I would get so far back I wouldn't be concentrating as much, and I'd end up running off the track way too much. :lol:

I am a lot better than I was last fall, I just am not as fast as a lot of you guys/gals. It's usually either you or @Sutuki (who's helped me with some great tips, I had no idea about rev matching until he told me) at the top of my friends list rivals times. I've added several more friends from GT Planet who are very fast too, and I like trying to learn things from their ghost.

One thing I like about the people I've met here on GTP, even the really good drivers that are really fast, don't act like they are above or better then anyone. They are willing to help others with tips, and generally nice people. In my experience, usually the ones who brag about being something special and act like they are better than every one else, aren't.

It's funny, when I beat one of the fast guys/gals on a rivals time mid race, I always know what's coming now. At the end of the race I'll look, and if it's not because the person I beat had a dirty lap, I usually beat them because they were driving a car not turned up, usually about 50-75 PI lower than max. :lol:

I do have a lot of fun though, I'm willing to race at anytime, and I like doing events like these and trying to better myself. So thanks to all of you for being a cool bunch of people. 👍

Last edited:
Nice lap Im_Lukas, over driving (as usual...) me that is. I never remember the road car having this much lift off ovesteer (user error lol). The car I had for a while would understeer and then understeer a bit more on lift off, typical VAG mid 90's chassis set up.

I'm going to take a break from studying and go back at it today.

I've just did about 15 more laps chasing @Ialyrn's ghost. It's really helping me. I think I was dropping down in second gear on some of those turns, 5, 6, and 7 especially, and I should have been staying in 3rd. I'm up to 2:02.881. 👍

I've just did about 15 more laps chasing @Ialyrn's ghost. It's really helping me. I think I was dropping down in second gear on some of those turns, 5, 6, and 7 especially, and I should have been staying in 3rd. I'm up to 2:02.881. 👍

Glad that my ghost has helped, still need to have another go myself and see if I can improve things. I know there is more time in that car, I just have to find it.

Well in my case chasing @prousonhairy 's ghost helped me go from a 2:06.something... to a 2:03.547 I'm finding it very tough, sometimes I change from 2nd to 3rd and the car sort of bogs down.

I think I only managed 2:03.xxx about three times, I could only hit :04 consistently. Maybe I should have a nap and try later I'm exhausted from work. :guilty:

Well in my case chasing @prousonhairy 's ghost helped me go from a 2:06.something... to a 2:03.547 I'm finding it very tough, sometimes I change from 2nd to 3rd and the car sort of bogs down.

I think I only managed 2:03.xxx about three times, I could only hit :04 consistently. Maybe I should have a nap and try later I'm exhausted from work. :guilty:
It's amazing how gear changes in lower class cars can really affect your lap times a lot more than the higher class cars. Not shifting at the right time, or not having your revs up enough to shift at the right spot can ruin a good lap. I still need a lot of improvement in that area.

It's amazing how gear changes in lower class cars can really affect your lap times a lot more than the higher class cars. Not shifting at the right time, or not having your revs up enough to shift at the right spot can ruin a good lap. I still need a lot of improvement in that area.

True that, I'm completely blind in that area. I just go by my ear, when it starts sounding nice then I go up. Not the best method and I have no idea whether it is good or bad but it does the job.

I just ran a couple more laps and did a 2:02.991 so I got in the 2:02s by just 9 thousands of a second and just a tenth from your time.

Funny how I got depressed after my second lap (was a 2:11.xxx or something) because I thought I wouldn't be able to get to even a 2:06.xxx

True that, I'm completely blind in that area. I just go by my ear, when it starts sounding nice then I go up. Not the best method and I have no idea whether it is good or bad but it does the job.

I just ran a couple more laps and did a 2:02.991 so I got in the 2:02s by just 9 thousands of a second and just a tenth from your time.

Funny how I got depressed after my second lap (was a 2:11.xxx or something) because I thought I wouldn't be able to get to even a 2:06.xxx
It seems I'm better at these things early in the morning, I don't know what it is. I've ran a bunch of laps this evening, a lot of low 2:03's, but I'm having trouble breaking into the 2:02's again.

I usually shift by sound in a race or in mid to higher class cars. In cars like this I pay more attention to the Tachometer, and try to be a bit more precise. I'm the last person to ask about shifting though, I just started using a manual full time last December. :lol:

I did something like this in forza 4 so i thought i would give it a try managed a 2:01.307 after about 25 laps

Vic! I didn't realise you still play Forza :), I still remember the close battles we had throughout the FRS, before ForzaPlanet was merged with GTP again. Good times they were :cheers:.

--

On the topic of shifting, I spend my first lap or two with the telemetry up looking roughly what RPM is best to shift as if I'm looking to drag race (I used to do this on the drag strips on FM4 :lol:) which I then try and remember the sound I'm listening for, I don't look at the tachometer at all when racing, it's all done by sound for me.

But once I'm comfortable with timing my shifts right I start to experiment with different gears in the corners, which can often be done just through feel but sometimes it's hard to tell whether an advantage was gained or not, which is when it can get time consuming if you're searching for that last tenth.

As for my lap, I've found roughly another 3 tenths in that last sector, the only problem being I can't replicate it on a good lap. The main gains seem to be coming through the quick right-left before the finish line, as on my current lap I think I'm scrubbing off too much speed through some not so smooth inputs there.

Vic! I didn't realise you still play Forza :), I still remember the close battles we had throughout the FRS, before ForzaPlanet was merged with GTP again. Good times they were :cheers:.

--

On the topic of shifting, I spend my first lap or two with the telemetry up looking roughly what RPM is best to shift as if I'm looking to drag race (I used to do this on the drag strips on FM4 :lol:) which I then try and remember the sound I'm listening for, I don't look at the tachometer at all when racing, it's all done by sound for me.

But once I'm comfortable with timing my shifts right I start to experiment with different gears in the corners, which can often be done just through feel but sometimes it's hard to tell whether an advantage was gained or not, which is when it can get time consuming if you're searching for that last tenth.

As for my lap, I've found roughly another 3 tenths in that last sector, the only problem being I can't replicate it on a good lap. The main gains seem to be coming through the quick right-left before the finish line, as on my current lap I think I'm scrubbing off too much speed through some not so smooth inputs there.

They where good time the hot lap challenge on FRS made me a better race car driver
If I remember correctly you just beat me by a couple of points in the season standings

Back