GTPlanet Topics in 1986

• Thread starter Pupik
  • 61 comments

Pupik

mille mille miglia
Staff Emeritus
United States
HSV
For the purposes of this thread: Let's pretend that GTPlanet began 15 years earlier than its beginning in 2001. That makes it 1986, so what threads would there have been around that time?

Be creative...GTPlanet's and Gran Turismo's formats could have been anything, but go ahead...so as long as it's not obviously anachronistic.

• Does blowing on the NES cartridge award you a better prize car?
  • Disappointing steering wheel support
  • Why isn't the BMW M3 in the game?
  • Which would you rather have: Countach or Testarossa?
  • Preferred subscription method: rec.autos.gtplanet or do you still subscribe to GTPlanet Weekly?
  • The Reaganomics Thread

GTPlanet vs Bing Crosby
R-687633-1317994612.jpeg.jpg

I'm dreaming of a White Christmas

Bing has been gone for over 9 years now, but his festive musical number is still played everywhere. The song is religiously played every year as soon as decorations come out. GTPlanet will run this annual 'contest' where the aim of the game is to avoid the song during November and December.

Happy Binging!

General Rules and Guidelines:
  • Survive 1986 (i.e. 23:59.59 in your time zone) without listening to White Christmas by Bing Crosby.
  • Post in this thread before December 1 to show your interest in being a 'participating member'.
  • Only the original song performed by Bing Crosby counts. Covers by artists like Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra or Johnny Mathis do not count.
  • Hearing any part of the song counts as a binging. If you are unsure of the song's origin, keep listening to find out if it's a Bing version or a cover/remix.
  • GIFs, still images or muted video do not count.
  • When you hear the music, consider yourself binged, out of the competition and on the Binged User Log.
  • The Binged User Log (BUL) is the younger, festive version of the Banned user log. It tells us when and how a member got Binged. If you get binged, post here and tag myself (@Daniel) so I get a notification and can promptly update it.
  • Do not post any links to the song in this thread without sufficient warning. This place is a safe haven.
  • While the rest of the site is free reign, keep in mind the site's rules regarding misleading (next bullet point)
  • You will not knowingly post any material that is false, misleading, or inaccurate.
  • If you play the link in the OP with any intention outside of refreshing your memory, you will be binged if you hear it.
Some tips to avoid the song:
  • Do not trust anyone.
  • Avoid shopping at department stores, clothing stores, supermarkets - anything that may have a radio playing.
  • If you must step outside, consider earplugs, or your own boombox to drown the sound out.
  • Do not trust anyone.
  • Have your computer defaulted to 'mute' and make sure that your volume is off while opening any links.
  • Do not talk to any other GTPers using the newfangled and scary internet. We are all evil and cannot be trusted, especially @Jordon.
If you haven't yet head the song, just click on the video below to watch it before avoiding it until next year.

Good luck everyone.

You'll need it.

'Bing Ping' Avatar Files

Do you use the M25 London Orbital Motorway?
M25-Thatcher_2877483c.jpg

11 years ago, construction of the M25 motorway began. Sections on the 117 mile road have opened to traffic as they have become ready and now the road is finally complete.

Has the M25 halved your commute?
Are you frustrated by traffic jams or have you had a break down?
Seen any supercars racing the lap?

Share your stories with the OutRunPlanet community.

World's newest ghost town, Pripyat, USSR, appears suddenly overnight. Nobody knows why.

- Optimus Prime Dies in the transformers movie... oh yeah sorry I ruined it, i don't know what "spoiler tags are because they have not been invented yet.

- What a disaster, I was out on recess in the play ground when we all saw this huge fireball and smoke ball in the sky. Our teachers panicked and shooed us indoors real quickly. They never told us why. When I got home my mother told me about the Challenger and that is what I saw.

"Who wants to go to Alamogordo, New Mexico for a bunch of free E.T. Atari cartridges?"

"Barry Bonds - Savior of the Pirates?"

"HELP! DOS Version 3.2 problems after upgrade"

"Football Instant Replay will never last"

"Who else is watching "Airwolf"?"

"Happy 9th birthday, @Famine!"

TB
"Happy 9th birthday, @Famine!"

- Happy 24th Birthday, M5Power

- Yugo Sightings

- Personal Accomplishments During the 1986 Indy 500 Delay

- Gran Turismo Board Game Only Has 4 Cars

- GTPlanet Pen Pal System

Last edited:
-In a discussion about politics-

Generic American User: We've been led by an actor for the past 5 years. I hope we never elect someone as unqualified as that again.

Back