GTPlanet Vintage Tuner Cup Ideas

There's been a lot of discussion banging about in other threads about a Classics Tuning competition, and now having talked to Kent who is graciously willing to host it in the Tuner Garages thread after the Tuner Challenge wraps up, it's more or less a go! So to unify all interested and facilitate the process of formation while not interfering with the Challenge currently ongoing, I thought I'd open this thread.

Here's how the current situation looks - We're looking at six different divisions: 1963 and earlier for true vintage motoring; 1964-1973 for the pre-oil crisis power and muscle era; 1973-1980 for the post-embargo era of finesse and handling; 1981-1988 or so for modern classics; and a classic racecar division for any car 1980 or earlier on racing tires. Theoretically, an entrant could submit a tuned car for each division, where after a submission deadline, volunteer judges would reder their verdicts.

All of this is subject to complete change though so let the suggestions and ideas roll!

what would be the main criteria for the car? laptime, handling, entertaining driving behaviour or fixing a particular quirk in the car?

So it is being hosted in the Tuner Garages thread when the latest challenge is over?

Sounds like a fun thing to try

Yep, it should start up around the same time as the Tuner Challenge wraps.

BTW, dibs on the Elan S1 for pre-63 :sly:

And Leo, DEFINITELY hope to see some of your beasts uncaged for this one... what would an event like this be without MFT?

Alright, now we talking- (I wonder how much popularity of other threads will drop now we're actually talking about this in a proper place).:lol: This is going to be great, though there are some really modern cars that came out in '88, I'll come back with what they are, probably just up to '87 would be good. Better make sure that it's '74 to '80 or whatever so different divisions don't get muddled up when someone enters a car that's in a year that fits onto both. Can I also vote that the Buick Special be ruled out because there'll be a lot of modern technology on that one, same as Delorean. Still going for a GNX in the latest category I am and I'll certainly look at the C1 Corvette for the earliest category. I have a C3 whick I just finished refining for the race category, so that's one car ready! Won't be the quickest but the handling is orgasmic, stable and mobile with a beautiful blend of power oversteer. :drool:

Good luck staying on the track mate 👍 Mind you, me and Rotary Junkie have already come to a conclusion that some people will pick the same car. Dont worry I wont pick the Cobra :)

I'll probably go for Z/28. it's nice and light, handles well after tuning and has power and torque there where it belongs on track - near the redline.:sly:

Yeah, '87 is likely better, not sure why I put 88 this time... either way, Kent is also looking over the year ranges to check for conflicts and whatnot.

I'd thought about the big Buick too and just forgotten to mention it - yeah, it should definitely not be allowed. As someone else put it, it's more a resto-mod than anything, and that's what we're all trying to build. Since it already IS one, it should be out. As far as the DeLorean goes, that's a tough question. The S2 IS technically different from the original DMC-12, but only insofar as it's built closer to what John DeLorean originally intended. From what I recall it involves a motor tweaked by methods that I THINK would have been available to DMC at the time, a freer-flowing exhaust, and a suspension setup that would have been on the production DMC-12 even then, had it not been for US DOT regulations regarding bumper size throwing plans awry. A little more research might be warranted here.

1988's a good limit. Doesn't include the R32 GT-R or Z32 300ZX then. :)

Dibs on the Lotus Esprit Turbo or Series 4 (FC) RX7 for the 81-88 series. :P
Dibs on the Celica GT or Bellett GT-R for the 1964-1973's.
Dibs on the Jaguar E-Type for pre-64 &
I'll think of something for between 73-80. :)

Mafs!!

I think that everyone should post at least one submission for each category. I already finished doodling around with the Z/28 ( actually it's my old Z/520 that I updated to version 2.0, and it is SWEET! Full NA power,S3's and replay from GVS available if wanted..)

since some categories have pretty limited options, calling the dibs is rather pointless. ;)

I just thought it was priceless with them all doing dibs and thought I'd add to the carnage then. :)

Look at RJ though Leonidae, I think he's still fighting over getting the GNX for the '81-'88 series. :dopey:

BTW, who won that argument RJ (and Holdenboy I think it was, can't remember and cbf'd looking it up....???) and who's driving what?!?!

Mafs!!

I think N4HS gave up when I brought drag racing to the table and decided that BOTH of us should run one.

Ah, I'll prolly run a Cougar anyways.

I think N4HS gave up when I brought drag racing to the table and decided that BOTH of us should run one.

Ah, I'll prolly run a Cougar anyways.

YES! I'm not going to give up on GNX, and you're right, I suck at drags and top speed compared to some so I gave up and took the soft option, couldn't risk losing it fair and square. Then it would be gone:sly: I'm going to go and chevk now why '88 shouldn't be allowed, I think there were some cars that weren't right. Look for and edit/new post soon.;)

Edit: Well that didn't take long- here's a couple of 1988 cars that make it a little unfair as they are thoroughly more modern than the rest
Supra 3.0GT Turbo A '88
Silvia K's (S13) '88
Jaguar XJR-9 Race Car

And I'm sure there are more that I haven't bought, these were in my garage.

good luck with those, the torque is down low so traction will be issue at low speeds.. ;) I actually have tried GNX before, but it felt too much like a barge after tuning..

OK, I just acquired me another C1 Corvette, I can be sure that there won't be much else in the category this will be in that I'd consider using so I can use this. If memory serves correct I believe this car will have great potential, and the Jag E-type will provide brilliant close racing for thos entering it so let's get this party started. Anticipation is already building for this and the current one aint over yet. I'm going to have a heart attack.

Mafs, I do believe you read my mind for 81-87/88-- I was considering exactly those two cars! And yeah, duplication will probably happen, but that'll just make for interesting head-to-head subcompetitions within the main competition :sly: But I think anyone pre-64 is going to have to run for their lives from the sheer terror wrought by my Elan... a car no bigger than a garden bathtub that will pound 'round GVS comfortably under two minutes on sports tires using barely 200 horses :sly: LOTS of possibilities right now for the pre-embargo category... was thinking perhaps a Europa, but don't want to overrepresent Lotus. The Alpine is a serious contender - those little buggers are SICK. I like my 240ZG but that nose-heavy L6 understeer can be a task. I really think I'm going to attempt to recreate the turbocharged Stratos Le Mans car for my classic racer... on race tires it's manageable most places... JUST.

Oh wait, we're going to 88? Ditch the cobra, I want the IROC Z sledgehammer.

And even then the IROCZ was in production before 88 and is definitely not super modern... (Live rear axle and a good old 350 lump)

It's more likely we'll stick with 87. Too many watershed moments in capability seem to have hit in 88 in the GT world; the 3-liter Supra marking them. We could easily make an exception for the Camaro though I'm sure -

I've been thinking about that anyway -- a lot of these cars were produced well before and well after their GT model years. With a convincing argument posted by the entrant, who thinks re-classing cars by model year is a good idea? For example - the Elan S1, once modified, may as well be anything from an S2 to an S4 (up to the late seventies). The Alpine was produced from the early sixties on, from what I understand with few changes. Thoughts?

It's more likely we'll stick with 87. Too many watershed moments in capability seem to have hit in 88 in the GT world; the 3-liter Supra marking them. We could easily make an exception for the Camaro though I'm sure -

I've been thinking about that anyway -- a lot of these cars were produced well before and well after their GT model years. With a convincing argument posted by the entrant, who thinks re-classing cars by model year is a good idea? For example - the Elan S1, once modified, may as well be anything from an S2 to an S4 (up to the late seventies). The Alpine was produced from the early sixties on, from what I understand with few changes. Thoughts?

I'm sorry, I think that's a bad idea, otherwise a Chevelle could be 2007 with good handling and all that power:sly: No, what year it is is what year it is. I too thought that the Camaro should have an exception but despite it being the way it is, it would be unfair to other '88 models that they can't enter.

LOL that's not exactly what I meant - I only meant re-classing cars for the same years that basically the same chassis, motor, and drivetrain were produced under the same name - i.e. reclassing a 62 Elan S1 as say a 64 or 65 S1 - same car. I used the example of the S2's through S4's just as an extreme case. Either way the person wanting to enter it would have to submit empirical evidence that the car is essentially the same. It's just an idea though, it could easily get too complicated and/or confusing.

LOL that's not exactly what I meant - I only meant re-classing cars for the same years that basically the same chassis, motor, and drivetrain were produced under the same name - i.e. reclassing a 62 Elan S1 as say a 64 or 65 S1 - same car. I used the example of the S2's through S4's just as an extreme case. Either way the person wanting to enter it would have to submit empirical evidence that the car is essentially the same. It's just an idea though, it could easily get too complicated and/or confusing.

Too complicated for me :dopey: On another topic though my C1 Corvette has just been finished and it is damn quick, for a 1954 car on sport tyres :sly: Watch out your Lotus Elan, I think this will win. I'm not saying lap times otherwise you'll just turn around and keep trying to beat me:nervous:

Edit: OK, I'll give you a rough idea of the C1 Vette's speed, it's around about a 7min car at Nurburgring with a clean lap and good tyres. (I was racing family cup and the tyres were near on red at the end of my second lap :scared: )

If the C1 Vette really does pull a 7-ish lap on the 'ring on sports tires, I'm gonna have to give it a run! I've heard a lot of good things about it lately, been meaning to hop in it. No worries though, I'll leave it to you for the competition ... my Elan and I are in the throes of a torrid love affair the likes of which neither of us ever dreamed :sly:

If the C1 Vette really does pull a 7-ish lap on the 'ring on sports tires, I'm gonna have to give it a run! I've heard a lot of good things about it lately, been meaning to hop in it. No worries though, I'll leave it to you for the competition ... my Elan and I are in the throes of a torrid love affair the likes of which neither of us ever dreamed :sly:

Cool, it only seems to be 2sec slower than some cars at GVS that have 300hp more on the same tyres. The thing is it has almost as much torque, lots of torque for an inline 6. I'm loving it though. The thing that has me worried is who's going to judge the classics, the current one barely has enough judges as is and so I think that as soon as categories are sorted we should make sure we start getting judges. I was almost thinking of dropping the GNX and just running my two Corvettes so I can judge the other categories.

Yeah that's worrying me too... so far we've got twice the number of divisions as the current challenge as well - this will spread judges even thinner. I may only enter two or three categories myself.

Yeah that's worrying me too... so far we've got twice the number of divisions as the current challenge as well - this will spread judges even thinner. I may only enter two or three categories myself.

Well, we're both entering the oldest year category and cars are pretty thin there so hopefully we can get judges for that, the race cars might be hard to find judges for though and I really want to put my C3 Vette there so we need judges for the race category and I'm probably willing to judge the rest.

Back