GTPlanet Vinyling ClubMusic 

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 941 comments
Put a new cart on my tt yesterday and it sounds great. Ended up going with an audio technica AT120eb since i mainly play rock music sprinkled with some early jazz bop on occasions. It's maiden spin was a minty copy of MFSL Dark side of the moon. I could hear lots of new details i previously didn't with my previous cart. Very pleased with my purchase and i would recommend this cart to anyone looking for a nice hi-fi cart in the 100.00 dollar range.

Attachments

• IMG_1134.JPG
    IMG_1134.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1135.JPG
    IMG_1135.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1136.JPG
    IMG_1136.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1157.JPG
    IMG_1157.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 12
So I went digging in Lucky Seven in Stoke Newington (in London, in England) for over an hour earlier but only found these:

1474730311106-1801712173.jpg

I don't even know Vera Lynn, I only know We'll Meet Again from the end of Dr. Strangelove... And Vangelis, don't know his work except for the Blade Runner soundtrack. Both of them are in my top five favourite films though so that's ok, right?

I also ordered Luke Vibert & Jean Jacques Perrey's Moog Acid but it hasn't arrived yet. Also I had it sent to my parents' house so I won't get it for ages anyway.

Also I really want to get Kourosh Yaghmaei's Back From The Brink, but the cheapest I've seen it is like £50. Considering the context (of Western-style music being completely banned in Iran following the revolution, so he's kind of a controversial artist) I'm not entirely surprised, but I will get it someday.

Edit: I also just ordered Kraftwerk - Aerodynamik. Oops.

Last edited:
Just snatched a gorgeous gatefold edition of Bo Hansson's Attic Thoughts at a local flea market, thanks @JockeP22 for introducing me to his music, really great stuff :)👍:
IMG_1101.JPG

Plus Bo Hansson's Music inspired by Lord of the Rings:
FullSizeRender.jpg

The seller remarked it would be a great experience to read the books while listening to this. I'm currently searching my LOTR books, only found the small "The Hobbit" book... :dopey:

I have to stop soon... It's pay day on Friday though. Uh oh!

DSC_0008.JPG

I bought the Neil Young one for my girlfriend, Bob Dylan is kind of for both of us (she's more of a fan than I am but I'm still new to him), but the Johnny Cash is all mine and it's straight in my top five favourite possessions even though it's a 2011 re-release. It's in very good condition and it's one of my favourite albums anyway.

@neema_t good look with curbing the addiction, I coughs the bug about 3 years ago and I'm sitting on a large collection and it's still growing.

Just snatched a gorgeous gatefold edition of Bo Hansson's Attic Thoughts at a local flea market, thanks @JockeP22 for introducing me to his music, really great stuff
Attic Thoughts is my favorite album of his (listening to it now). Nice find, tarn.
I actually don't have any physical copies of his music. A colleague
from work lent me two of his CD's (Attic Thoughts & Magician's Hat)
and I burned them onto my PC and listen to them frequently on Windows MP.

The seller remarked it would be a great experience to read the books while listening to this. I'm currently searching my LOTR books, only found the small "The Hobbit" book.

I read that Hansson was suggested to read the LOTR books and he
became so engulfed in the story that he shut himself in and hardly
left his apartment in Stockholm or met anybody until the album was finished.

His old collaborator Janne Carlsson (they had a band called Hansson & Carlsson)
said that Bo lived in a sort of bubble and rarely answered the phone. He was apparently
very difficult to get a hold of. Hansson had problems with alcohol and stuff later in life
and he passed away at only 67. He left a fine musical legacy though.

A couple i picked up on monday. I have most these already in my personal collection, but these will be going on my discogs store soon. Tonight i'm going to grab a lot of a couple hundred that i bought sight unseen. Hopefully i find some gold.

Attachments

• IMG_1184.JPG
    IMG_1184.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1185.JPG
    IMG_1185.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1186.JPG
    IMG_1186.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1187.JPG
    IMG_1187.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1188.JPG
    IMG_1188.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1189.JPG
    IMG_1189.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1190.JPG
    IMG_1190.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1191.JPG
    IMG_1191.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1192.JPG
    IMG_1192.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1193.JPG
    IMG_1193.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 8
Went shopping again yesterday (pay day, so it's ok), got these and a couple of 7s:

_20161001_200630.JPG

The Joan Baez ones were £5 each, the two others were a bit more. 2001 isn't the actual soundtrack, it's an "inspired by", but I love 2001 so I picked it up anyway. And the Johnny Cash has what I think is the only live performance of Wanted Man on it, which I think is the better version of it.

And I've just ordered Amon Tobin - Out From Out Where and The Cinematic Orchestra - Every Day. I was going to get Romare - Projections, too, but wanted to keep it under £50 because this is ridiculous.

I collect mainly black music records (funk, soul, disco, hip-hop, house, etc.) half for pleasure listening and half for sample digging as I produce music on the side. Sitting on about a hundred right now. Once I get more money I aim to do some Discogs splurging for things I can't find in the crates at the record store.

What cartridges you guys use?

I used a Grado Sonota, twice, then went to an Audio Techinica AT440.

Seeing as my ears were used to Ortofon I stuck with them when our low play hours Ortofon VMS 30 MK 2 had the stylus snapped off. By someone in the house getting enthusiastic cleaning up. :(

I now use a Ortofon Red. I love the sound of Grados and Goldrings too. However compared to the Benz Micro Gullwing S they don't come close (this was on a top end Avid deck though)

Edit....

I forgot to post this too

IMG_6523.JPG

This is RR7349 by S U R V I V E, the guys behind the Stranger Things soundtrack.

Ok finally got around to getting a couple of pics to share here.
Apologies @Sprite :P but I've been busy training for a ride coming up this weekend and all my spare time has gone into that.

Anyway here's a few (not all) of the albums I've picked up since my last post.

20161003_181533.jpg

These are all second hand and all in excellent to mint condition for the discs themselves.

20161003_181806.jpg

Top two (Coldplay and Bullet for My Valentine) are new and the bottom two Hunters and Collectors and Midnight Oil which are Australian bands are second hand, again in excellent condition.

20161003_182131.jpg

Picked this up today, David Gilmours new album. Had the chance to give it a quick listen and initial impressions are pretty good. With Pink Floyd being one of my all time faves I went in with an open mind for this but it will get more listens for sure.

Those are kind of scratching the surface of the purchases of late but it will do here for the moment. :P

@Shaun thanks for the update.

Sounds like you've got the record collectors bug. :)

Good luck on the ride. I'll head over to the biking thread to catch up.

A couple more.

First is a second copy of Xiu Xiu plays twin peaks.

The first copy I bought was from RSD this year. This second copy is the repress.the new version has slightly different coloured records and some annoying barcode on the spine.

IMG_6535.JPG

The second is King Geedorah - Take Me To Your Leader. This is MF Doom for those not in the know. :)

IMG_6536.JPG

I'll post a code for Xiu Xiu later as I already have it on MP3.

Picked up this 2014 RSD copy of Sun Ra - Outer Spaceways Incorporated. It was still sealed too.

IMG_6645.JPG

As promised here is the DL codes to Xiu Xiu Plays Twin Peaks.
IMG_6651.JPG

More records...

First up is COW - Chill Out World

For some reason this was a little disappointing. It seemed lacking.
IMG_6662.JPG

Kuedo - Slow Knife I seriously can't wait to play this through. The first two tracks put up as singles on YouTube were fantastic.
IMG_6668.JPG

This one is a total unknown. It's a Vinyl Factory 12"single. Super limited press of 300 and won't be repressed. Final Exam - Kelela, Eylsia Crampton & Adrian Piper. This is the blurb from Vinyl Factory.

One of the formats created for the 9th Berlin Biennale for Contemporary Art, is the new vinyl series, 'Anthem' where artists and musicians are brought together in an environment and testimony to collaboration and sharing.

Los Angeles based artist and musician Ashland Mines (Total Freedom) is the creative director of the series, cultivating and fostering the sets of unlikely collaborations. The series is produced with The Vinyl Factory, DIS Magazine and the 9th Berlin Biennale for Contemporary Art.

The forth part of Anthem sees r’n’b vocalist Kelela team up with electronic musician Elysia Crampton and award winning conceptual artist, Adrian Piper. The trio have created two brand new songs in celebration of the Berlin Biennale.

Kelela, is an American singer and songwriter who's 2013 debut mixtape, Cut 4 Me, received praise from music critics and contemporaries such as Solange Knowles and Björk, and was listed in various publication's year-end lists. Seeking to make the mixtape sound like a remix album, Kelela added her own vocals over instrumental tracks by DJs from Fade to Mind and Night Slugs. In October of 2015, she released Hallucinogen that included a music video for ‘The Message’ produced by Arca.

Adrian Piper is described as a conceptual artist who explores the conventional determinations of rule-based subjectivity and the politics and language of representation. In 2016 Piper won the Golden Lion Award for Best Artist at the Venice Biennale.

Electronic musician, Elysia Crampton hosts an ambitious confluenece of ideas within her music that synthesises multiple under-represented histories, geographies, musical genres and cultural signifiers into addictively colourful sonic material that packs contemporaneous dancefloor weight.
IMG_6669.JPG

Last is a truly fantastic HipHop album. I've heard some personal music before but this is a peek into his life which doesn't shy away from the dark. This is the limited Pink Clear Vinyl and is a lovely package. It also came with a promo sticker and is packaged in a printed clear outer sleeve.
IMG_6670.JPG

IMG_6673.JPG

If anyone wants a digital copy then here you go.
IMG_6671.JPG

Last edited:
Even more records...

IMG_6680.JPG

The score to the 1922 Nosferatu on Blood Red vinyl.

IMG_6688.JPG

The score to the BBCs The Living Planet, some nice synth music from the 80s on Blue vinyl.

IMG_6692.JPG

A lovely Pink/Red/White Splatter for Apollo Brown & Skyzoo - The Easy Truth.

_20161107_215748.JPG
_20161107_215712.JPG

The first was cheap (but I do love LFO (that's LFO as in Low Frequency Oscillations, not Lyte Funky Ones...)) and is hard to photograph, the second is something I've had the first track of on my iTunes for over ten years so I was amazed to find it, it's not the best music ever but it's still great somehow.

Last edited:
A few more added to the collection...

IMG_6802.JPG

Czarface - A Fist Full Of Peril

I love the Czarface covers.

IMG_6801.JPG

Enigma - The Fall Of A Rebel Angel

Being a huge fan of Enigma I really wanted this.

Anyone else experienced brand new and sealed albums to be scratched when opened?

A couple of days ago I bought the Re-Issue Dark Side Of The Moon (why not add it to the four versions I already have :lol:) only to find a large thumb print and scratch just next to the print. No doubt it was just carelessness during manufacture bit still it shouldn't have got past quality control.

The store was fine and swapped it over but it was still a pain to have to go back to get another, this is the second new album that has been the same for me in the last few months.

Anyone else experienced brand new and sealed albums to be scratched when opened?

A couple of days ago I bought the Re-Issue Dark Side Of The Moon (why not add it to the four versions I already have :lol:) only to find a large thumb print and scratch just next to the print. No doubt it was just carelessness during manufacture bit still it shouldn't have got past quality control.

The store was fine and swapped it over but it was still a pain to have to go back to get another, this is the second new album that has been the same for me in the last few months.
Sure it wasn't just a reshrinked one? Most new and sealed LPs these days advertise the fact that they've never been touched by human hands. Seems a little strange.

Latest Posts

Back