GTPlanet vs. Wham! - Round 3 (Endorsed by George Michael!*)

• Thread starter Daniel
  • 882 comments

Daniel

User user
Premium
New Zealand
Auckland
Lazer0pz
*Not really

It's that time of the year again! Shopping malls and radio stations everywhere will be assaulting our ears with cheezy Christmas songs, and supermarket Santas will be fondling our children asking our children what they want even though they're only doing it for the minimum wage pay.
Two years ago, forum member RouWa introduced us the the inaugural GTPlanet vs. Wham! in which we had to refrain from listening to the blasted song: Last Christmas.

Some simple rules:
  • You win if you're able to survive 2012 (your time zone) without listening to the original Last Christmas
  • Only the original song will eliminate you. Covers (such as Taylor Swift's or Glee's) do no eliminate you.
  • If you start to hear what you think may be Last Christmas continue listening and hope that it's a cover. If it's not, then you've just been Whammed!
  • Only the audio counts. GIFs, images or a muted version of the video do not.
  • Hearing any part of the song warrants you a Whamming.
  • This thread here is a safe area. Do not post links to the video or embed it autoplaying.
  • When (not if, when you get Whammed!, post it in this thread with the where, how, when it happened and I'll record it in a list in the second post.
  • If you have posted before December 1st, then you'll be in the Original Participants list. I won't add you if you post afterwards, but I'll add you to the Whammed user log.

And some tips from our friendly neighbourhood moderators:

Autoplay isn't exactly fair play. We need at least one neutral area where players are safe and can check their score.
That said, if you can find a way to incorporate it into another topic in a manner that isn't strictly off-topic... :D
Errr. No.
Posting fake links anywhere else in these forums with links to a Wham! video will earn you the same treatment as Rickrolling, i.e. an infraction for Useless Post / Spam.
Just so we're clear on this.

Here are some tactics to avoiding the ear cancer that is Wham!:
  • Don't listen to radio stations that might play this. Because if there's a chance that they will, they will.
  • If you have to go out in public for Christmas shopping or other, bring along your iThing so you can listen to songs that aren't Wham.
  • Turn off the volume before clicking on any Youtube links.
  • Don't accept any Skype calls or click on any FB chat links from fellow GTPers. We are all evil.
  • Don't tell any family or friends about this. They will play the song ASAP, much to your annoyance.

If you haven't heard the song before, please crawl out from under that rock you've been hiding under. If you just want a refresher to know what the song sounds like here it is (no this won't Wham you, but anywhere else will):

"♬ Last Christmas, I gave you my heart. But the very next day you gave it away ♪"

GTPlanet vs. Wham 2010
GTPlanet vs. Wham 2011

Last edited:
NB: The time I'll be using is NZT (GMT+12) for those who don't know
Original Participants (people who have posted before December 1:
Daniel
nealcropper
Deko Wolf-GTPT
Deko Wolf-GTPT's Wife
Stormtrooper217
shem
photonrider
Skython
Xamado7V
Ross
F1 Fan
Steele_obsidion
MUSC4EVER
mattythedog
Wiegert
Bopop4
axletramp
Apok
Callumfromleeds
ilikewaffles11
Monatsende
Katiegan
tuga703
GT-R
Liquid
gogatrs
TheBook
D3ATHS1NBUNCH3S
TyrrellRacing
ghskilla
AOS-
FireEmblem10
Spacegoat
porthillking
dica1998
Rykon Zero
tronrider345
Justin
GT-R_EMOKID
pezzarinho17
PeterJB
dhandeh
Minty
Dean J
parksideu14
gorsad
Stiggy
Akmuq
bluemoon_19
Crash
Jimlaad43
Slashfan
GT HP Nut
kikie
SRV2LOW4ME
Noob616
Nero9
E28
250 GTO
popcorn
Schwartz
Solid Lifters
Driving Park
Alex p.
speed157
CtzOfTime
Brando-K
Tesla
Emptyone
iMikeTheKing
dchPSUone
homeforsummer
Terronium-12
Public'sTwin
ziopaperone
Yrkshrpudding
L8erBaby
Shaun
SVX
Jet Badger
Beeblebrox237
Classic
TB
Korza
C-ZETA
terminator363
Starchaser
Jello18
starorzecze
RouWa
DK
MrDinosaw94
Whammed User Log:
1/01/12 - RouWa - Plays the hardcore GTP vs. Wham! Whammed at the start of New Year 2012.
05/11/12 - D3ATHS1NBUNCH3S - Our first whammed member of 2012! Congratulations, and our condolences. 'Last Christmas' played over the radio at Arby's.
12/11/12 - Slashfan - Sister played song.
12/11/12 - Akmuq - Heard part of the song on an ad for Now That's What I call Christmas!
12/11/12 - 250 GTO - Overheard song playing on radio at work.
19/11/12 - Starchaser - Whammed on Tinychat.
19/11/12 - DK - Whammed while waiting for the bus. You should've walked.
21/11/12 - dhandeh - Driving the car after the missus drove it, turned on radio and was attacked by said radio with George Michael's voice.
21/11/12 - gorsad - Whammed in music class. A bit ironic considering Last Christmas technically isn't music, and more like aural torture.
23/11/12 - Cowboys965 - Shouldn't have shopped for clothes. You would have been very cold, but at least you could have avoided Wham :dopey:
23/11/12 - Callumfromleeds - Adverts strike again!
23/11/12 - AOS- - True to his word.
24/11/12 - Steele_obsidion - Whammed twice in the matter of days. It looks like the music gods don't like you very much.
25/11/12 - SRV2LOW4ME - "Stupid radio."
26/11/12 - popcorn - Whammed at Macy's.
26/11/12 - tuga703 - TV should be muted at all times for the safety of one's ears.
29/11/12 - Deko Wolf-GTPT's Wife - The first non-GTPer to get Whammed! And she got Whammed seven times. New record?
29/11/12 - Liquid - Watching QI, what played the song? A buzzer, of all things.
29/11/12 - CTzOfTime - Taylor Swift was a warning, then the real deal came and gotcha!
30/11/12 - dchPSUone - Willingly Whammed over 5 times. Something's wrong with you :P
30/11/12 - ilikewaffles11 - New Tip: Parents and radios don't mix well. Ether destroy all radios or all parents. Up to you.
30/11/12 - PeterJB - The only downside to Unions is that bad Christmas music always plays.
01/12/12 - parksideu14 - First Whamming of December! Wham, all ye faithful. Joyful and triumphant!
01/12/12 - Korza - One of the contenders for the highest amounts of Whams in a day. Ouch.
02/12/12 - Ross - Whammed by the car radio. People are dropping like flies.
03/12/12 - Xamado7V - Decided to risk listening to the Christmas Top 50. It didn't turn out so well.
04/12/12 - Monatsende - Whammed while watching TV.
06/12/12 - bluemoon_19 - Whammed at work. You should have been careful, any chance at a Christmas song and Wham would've showed up.
06/12/12 - Daniel - Tricked into listening to the song. Why do I have to have friends in real life? :grumpy:
07/12/12 - Beeblebrox237 - Listening to the radio half-asleep until Last Christmas woke him up. inb4 'Wake me up before you go-go'
07/12/12 - trackripper123 - Getting Whammed at your ideal university is probably a sign that you should change universities.
07/12/12 - terminator363 - Radios are a no-no. Always.
07/12/12 - MrDinosaw94 - Whammed in the post office. At least you managed to survive December.
07/12/12 - zedextreme8177 - At an Islamic event and Last Christmas starts playing. Oh, the irony!
07/12/12 - E28 - Last year came back to bite E28. Whammed the exact way (what I don't get it why Last Christmas is on the compilation album two years in a row...)
08/12/12 - MUSC4EVER - Whammed by the radio. Comme d'habitude.
08/12/12 - nealcropper - Whammed 17 times at daughter's nativity play due to a broken CD Player. Proceeded to kill (almost) every staff member there.
09/12/12 - Luminis - Evil uncle who adores the song had the obligation to play it.
09/12/12 - adam46 - First documented case of Whammicide.
10/12/12 - axletramp - Double Whammy today. Brutally whammed by the missus followed by a "classic from 1984".
10/12/12 - oopssorryy - Multi-Whammed at work.
12/12/12 - ghskilla - Friend-Whammed. Evil, evil people...
13/12/12 - ziopaperone - Hiding Christmas CDs don't do anything. You must KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!1!
13/12/12 - TyrrellRacing - Whammed at school, of all places.
13/12/12 - mattythedog - The man-flu is a serious thing. Never listen to the radio when sick. /PSA
14/12/12 - Justin - Maybe next year you can last one more day :dopey:
16/12/12 - Rykon Zero - Heard it on the Yogscast Livestream - hoped to avoid it by muting at the last second. Close but no cigar, Rykon.
16/12/12 - haitch40 - Whammed by mother.
17/12/12 - Scaff - Compilation CDs are always dangerous.
17/12/12 - The Stig Farmer - Played on the radio by Terry Wogan.
17/12/12 - Jimlaad43 - Received a bad wake-up call when it started playing as he woke up.
18/12/12 - pezzarinho17 - Multi-Whammed at work. The worst you can get.
18/12/12 - Noob616 - Taken out by the radio.
18/12/12 - Emptyone - Punching the door doesn't undo your Whamming, but it does give you a sore hand.
18/12/12 - SVX - Formally Whammed (cwatididthar?)
18/12/12 - niky - Thrice Whammed.
19/12/12 - Katiegan - Subjected to the horror of Christmas Specials. Livin' the Vida Wham!
20/12/12 - Stevisov - Shopping during the silly seasons is always horrendous. It's always packed, and you'll get Whammed.
20/12/12 - boiltheocean - "This won't hurt a bit." "What? The drill or Last Christmas?"
20/12/12 - Terronium-12 - Supermarket Whammed you? Ban it :P
20/12/12 - shem - The first of the 'Bacon & Eggs' Whammies.
20/12/12 - Shaun - Bacon & Eggs for breakfast with a generous helping of Wham!
22/12/12 - Deko Wolf-GTPT - They come in threes! Deko was Whammed while serving none other than BACON.
22/12/12 - djinline - Close but no cigar. Whammed with over a week left in the living room.
22/12/12 - gogatrs - One must master the art of zoning out, young padawan.
22/12/12 - Tesla - As always, the best tip to avoid Wham is to put your fingers in your ear and shout "LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALLALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALAL"
22/12/12 - Spacegoat - Radio stations seem to Wham people the most. Spacegoat is no exception.
23/12/12 - DaxCobra - First Whammed in early November. Then whammed 19 times more.
23/12/12 - Wiegert - After being mistakenly Whammed by GT-R's cover video, Wiegert finally suffered the real deal in Dad's car. It was even worse considering it was the song that was playing when he turned on the radio.
23/12/12 - Frostyboys - Enjoyed the tranquility and relaxation of the botanical gardens. loljkWhammed.
24/12/12 - GT-R_EMOKID - Whammed by the autoplay of another forum.
24/12/12 - Dooblewasur - Quietly Whammed while getting a $20 broken.
24/12/12 - DQuaN - Drunk Girls and cheezy Christmas music never go down well.
24/12/12 - hellnback - Heard a tiny byte of the song while flipping channels. The truth is hard to swallow (God I'm so punny)
25/12/12 - Minty - 'Twas the night before Christmas, with family in the car. The radio played Wham. So close yet so far.
25/12/12 - lbsf1 - Second Whamming of Christmas Eve. Evil radios at it again.
25/12/12 - NissanSkylineN1 - Moving on Christmas Eve? Pretty extreme. Whammed anyway.
26/12/12 - Apok - The infamous mass-whammer of 2010 finally Whammed on Christmas! The world rejoices :dopey:.

Last edited:
Ha, this sounds fun.

I shall be posting in this often.

Never heard of the game, but you are right, the song is the most blasphemous thing your ears can handle.

Last edited:
I wanted to play this last year but it was to late by the time I saw it. So this year will be my first year and I can honestly say I probably won't last very long. :P

I reckon I won't get as far as I did last year. If I make it to December without hearing it, then I'll count myself lucky.

Wham? I've never heard it, I guess it's only a brit thing. We need to have an American version of this game.

Last edited:
Wham? I've never heard it, I guess it's only a brit thing. We need to have an American version of this game.

Plenty of American people played (and lost) last year.

Last edited:
Don't tell any family or friends about this. They will play the song ASAP, much to your annoyance.

This is especially true. :(

I'm in, again, determined to beat Wham! this year. I do have an advantage living in a non-English speaking country but that didn't help me last year.

Well, round 2 (for me, at least) begins. I lost the battle last year, but I have returned.

I'm giving this another go, last year I lost while watching TV and since I don't have one in my room anymore I think my chances are better.

Count me in again this year.

Hopefully I don't Wham myself again like last year - swearing at a Kiddie Christmas Party can lead to embarrassed flight.

Should we have a cut off date for entrants? I remember last year, we had people wanting to enter a few days before Christmas. Hardly fair on those of us who have been here since the beginning.

Back