GTplanet world Tournament/League/championship,would it be possible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Akira AC
  • 88 comments
  • 6,992 views

would you like to be in a GTplanet global tournament in a near future?

  • Yes

    Votes: 149 70.6%
  • No

    Votes: 9 4.3%
  • Maybe after completing GT5's career mode

    Votes: 53 25.1%

  • Total voters
    211
I would do this to be honest. Have a "ladder league". If it is a 1v1 race:
-Let players challenge other player
-Challenger chooses HP class 350 - 600 - 750 - 1000 - Race Class - Rally
-Challenger chooses 1 Track
-Person being challenged chooses 1 Track
-Both agree on "tie breaker" Track
-All races set to 3-5 laps
-Damage settings on and set other restrictions as well as needed


Or have it set up for say 5 racers ( Random # ) Do 3 races at 4 laps each and do it by points. 1st place gets 5 pts, 2nd gets 4pts, 3rd gets 3pts, ect. After the 3rd race, add up the points.

Or can have it set in classes. Class A, B, C, ECT.
Class A has a time trial on Track 1
Class B has time trial on Track 2

And go on from there and change weekly. If you have any questions or would like any help, feel free to let me know, I will do what I can to help you out with this.
 
Learn to math. 16 + 16 = 32 not 36

You're aware that math is not a verb. The right verb is count or calculate. If you need to use the word math: "Please learn how to do math."
 
Audiman90
I think using performance points will work the best, along with weight limits to make everything completely fair. Like having 375 for a street stock series, 450 for a semi modified series, 600 for heavy mod, 750 for race mod, and race car series.

The system I proposed is intended to match similar cars against one another, so no sport compacts racing against luxury cars and pickups. Just a way of adding some realism.

Zuel
2. That would be great!!!!

What would be great? Excluding historic courses or including them?

Zuel
3. At the PSN Store it has a rating option now. You can only use it when you've paid for the item and loaded.

No I mean what process do we use to determine the courses we race on?

mykem
You're aware that math is not a verb. The right verb is count or calculate.

Learn to _____ is an internet meme. Learn to meme.

Also,
z33_mike
I would do this to be honest. Have a "ladder league". If it is a 1v1 race:
-Let players challenge other player
-Challenger chooses HP class 350 - 600 - 750 - 1000 - Race Class - Rally
-Challenger chooses 1 Track
-Person being challenged chooses 1 Track
-Both agree on "tie breaker" Track
-All races set to 3-5 laps
-Damage settings on and set other restrictions as well as needed


Or have it set up for say 5 racers ( Random # ) Do 3 races at 4 laps each and do it by points. 1st place gets 5 pts, 2nd gets 4pts, 3rd gets 3pts, ect. After the 3rd race, add up the points.

Or can have it set in classes. Class A, B, C, ECT.
Class A has a time trial on Track 1
Class B has time trial on Track 2

And go on from there and change weekly. If you have any questions or would like any help, feel free to let me know, I will do what I can to help you out with this.

Definitely no rankings ladder systems unless it's for 1/4 mile or point to point races. Well, actually, I can't stop you from doing it if you want, but I don't think it's a particularly good idea.
 
Like other people have said, it is about time zones.

Thats why I think leagues should be divided up by start times.

Using GMT, you choose your league. Throw in a day of the week and you have yourself a good structure. :)

Something like this:
___________________________________________

Hello, welcome to the GT Planet League signup list. You can jump into the middle of a season if you like, just know that may handicap your ability to win or place high in that league.

Please choose a start time/day that you would like. Each designated start time/day is a league. You will be expected to be there to join into the race at the designated time and day, each week.

We run leagues based on a 6 week cycle. So, try to plan accordingly and be there at your league's time/day. However, we know, it is not always possible to be there at your league's time/day every week. Life happens and we all expect that to happen to all of us. ;) So, we allow for one "freebie". In other words, if you make it to 5 of the 6 weeks, then you will not be penalized. But we also want to reward those who are there every time, so we will give a small bonus to those who are.

So, without further adieu here are the possible leagues to choose from:

[Saturday Leagues]

League A- 12:00 GMT Saturday

League B- 16:00 GMT Saturday

League C- 20:00 GMT Saturday

League D- 24:00 GMT Saturday

League E- 04:00 GMT Saturday

League F- 08:00 GMT Saturday


[Sunday Leagues]

League ABCDEF/Times

[Weekday Leagues]

League ABCDEF/Times


Qualifying:

Qualifying is held for each league. The event will be posted 24 hours after your league's last event. i.e. If you are part of [League A- 12:00 GMT Saturday], expect next weeks event to be posted by 12:00 Sunday. Please set a qualifying lap during the week and turn it in 24 hours before your leagues start time. i.e. If you are part of [League A- 12:00 GMT Saturday], then you would need to turn in your qualifying lap by 12:00 GMT Friday.

Please understand that qualifying plays a huge role. Half the points that can be awarded during a "season" can be awarded for qualifying. With the other half coming from the races that take place during your league's start time. Also, at the end of each season, there will be separate awards given to those who continually qualified well during the season. So, please feel free to qualify even if you know you cannot make the event that week.

And of course, qualifying will determine your grid position! :)

So, Good Luck Guys, And remember that the main objective is to have a great time.
______________________________________

Well, that's kind of how I see it. I hope you guys get some good ideas from it. :)

p.s. I would just scatter about 3 or 4 leagues throughout the week since weekend leagues will be much more popular. Such as this:

[Weekday Leagues]

League A- 08:00 Tuesday

League B- 12:00 Wednesday

etc...

Also, you can make it where each league has a partner league. So, if you qualify all week and can't make it to your start time on Saturday, then you can try and switch to your "Sister League". Which will be running the exact same event that week. Or what I would prefer, is that all GT Planet leagues run one event each week. Keeping it similar to the WRS. It would keep the logistics easier and would probably be more fun since all of GT Planet is posting times with the same combo.

But again, this is just "out loud brainstorming", so use what you want and throw the rest away. 👍
 
Last edited:
Um, one thing about that, we don't know how much buy-in we're going to get, and there's a very real possibility that we won't get enough to do a series at all. So splitting everything into time zone-based divisions in addition to whatever classing system we decide on could kill everything.

Especially for people like me. I'm in Alaska and most of you are in Europe, halfway around the world. There are one or two other known Alaskans who have posted here and maybe a couple people from the "normal" west coast. Definitely not enough people.
 
Um, one thing about that, we don't know how much buy-in we're going to get, and there's a very real possibility that we won't get enough to do a series at all. So splitting everything into time zone-based divisions in addition to whatever classing system we decide on could kill everything.

Especially for people like me. I'm in Alaska and most of you are in Europe, halfway around the world. There are one or two other known Alaskans who have posted here and maybe a couple people from the "normal" west coast. Definitely not enough people.

Very good point. 👍

Maybe we should do a WRS each week and that be the qualifying. Then you choose your race time. And have like 5 or 6 possible race times stretching from Thursday through Sunday.

But I think there will be a few people in your shoes. It may not work out for those individuals to ever participate in the races, but they can still participate in the qualifying all week. Which would essentially be the WRS, as it is now.

With the races being a sort of "bonus" on top of the current WRS. If you can participate.
 
Bah, Alaska never gets any respect...

:lol:

Idiotic lame comment aside, I'm sure the situation will work itself out. We don't even know how the races are going to be scheduled yet. I predict many interesting debates over scheduling. The sad fact is, one region or another will have to take it in the shorts, so to speak. I'd say it should be the Pacific Islands or mid-Atlantic time zones, since very few people live there and even fewer will have GT5.
 
Bah, Alaska never gets any respect...

:lol:

Idiotic lame comment aside, I'm sure the situation will work itself out. We don't even know how the races are going to be scheduled yet. I predict many interesting debates over scheduling. The sad fact is, one region or another will have to take it in the shorts, so to speak. I'd say it should be the Pacific Islands or mid-Atlantic time zones, since very few people live there and even fewer will have GT5.

Hey, but your bars stay open 23 hours a day. :dopey: That has to be some compensation. :lol:
 
Well so far we are getting a nice structure to get best of the comunity,I read some of your suggestion and sadly I have to keep in mind that the online racing depends on internet conections,lag,and other variables that could or may affect the race results and the whole experience,so far we need to apply certain parameters,so the creation of a rule book is necessary to have some reglaments regarding these cases,also onlice racing rules depending on class and other variables.

Sorry for my spelling mistakes I'm on PSP.
 
maybe a couple people from the "normal" west coast. Definitely not enough people.

I noticed that as well, most of the people in WRS are from either the East Coast or one of many countries around the globe. West Coasters where you guys at.

@ Z33Mike,

Off topic, are you on my350z.com? Or do you just like the Z33 platform.

@ Akira,

I am looking forward to these leagues when GT5 comes out. 👍
 
There's one problem: time zones. For example, akiraacecombat lives in Japan. Let's say that I, with 14 other guys, am racing against him. It's 10am in Japan when the race is on. And seeing as I live in GMT territory, it would be midnight where I am. Time zones are a bitch. :indiff:
 
I prefer a more simplified approach, keeping your car within the rules of said competition should be as hard as it gets, I think some of you guys are over doing it. With that said, keep the ideas coming, there's plenty of time to work this out, even if it doesn't start until months after release.
 
Another idea: GTP has hosted GT4 LAN parties before, with people travelling great distances to attend. So why not take it to the next level and run an online 24h race every year? All the various GT5 forums of the internet send a team or two of 4-6 drivers each, winning forum get bragging rights for the year. Different track and class every year.
 
Another idea: GTP has hosted GT4 LAN parties before, with people travelling great distances to attend. So why not take it to the next level and run an online 24h race every year? All the various GT5 forums of the internet send a team or two of 4-6 drivers each, winning forum get bragging rights for the year. Different track and class every year.

Wow that sounds like a great idea.
 
Well in order to solve the time zone issues the events must be held on weekends,between Friday and Sunday,moment where almost everyone can attend,of course there is a lot of planning to set up the right combinations of cars,tracks event duration, event type, timing,that is why this is started to be plan so early,so when we get all the info about cars,tracks,event types, connection reliability and so on we will be able to do this as best as it can be done.

So far I'm thinking somewhere between February and March to hold this/these events,well structured and planned,nothing rushed since is based on common agreement.

Also classes, tuning and moding parameters,weather and track setups,custom or random rally,all of this must be explored and to get the best accommodation for the events,also a good ruling system and some other parameters like race endurances,tire limitations since long term races makes the tires wear out faster on high grip tires,a parameter for good equal "tire racing,and fuel"must be done.

Keep giving more ideas to keep working on the drawbacks(at this moment)to fix them and try to get the best experience.
 
I noticed that as well, most of the people in WRS are from either the East Coast or one of many countries around the globe. West Coasters where you guys at.

@ Z33Mike,

Off topic, are you on my350z.com? Or do you just like the Z33 platform.

@ Akira,

I am looking forward to these leagues when GT5 comes out. 👍

Yes I am on my350z.com are you? Graffkid732 is forum name on my350z

I own a z33 ( 2003 350z )
 
As much as I would love to do that I have a family and cant participate in any 24hr races unless our AI (B Spec racers) can take over, that would be awesome.

If you're going to do that, why not get everyone to beg Kaz to set it up so you can hand off control of the car to another human somewhere? It's about as likely as getting to use Bspec online. Both are outlandish and probably aren't going to happen. But if somehow we do get to use Bspec online, I'm pretty sure that'll get banned from all levels of organized competition on or shortly after release day. A handoff feature could be banned from shorter races (<= 2 hours at least) bout could greatly simplify a forum competition.
 
I love this idea. I think a true bona fide "premier league" where the best of the best of a large community such as GTPlanet is absolutely needed. I think it should be broken down into a few core "subleagues" to differentiate oval racers, formula racers, rally racers, etc.


GT Road Racing Championship featuring SuperGT

GT Stock Car Championship featuring NASCAR

GT Rally Racing Championship featuring WRC

GT Formula 1 Championship

GT Kart Racing Championship


Those would be the core ones, and each championship would have leagues underneath it which could serve as "feeder series". What do you guys think?
 
Uh, no. That would focus too much attention on a few select sets of cars and the majority of the game's fleet would be ignored for the purposes of a high-level organized series. And as the saying goes, variety is the spice of life.

Not that they can't run, but to have them be the main show... eh...
 
I think a big problem will be the reliability of the members who participate. If we had weekly races on set time and dates, I am affraid that on one week you will have a full grid, the next you won't. If that is the case then a DNS it is, and 3 DNS's and you out of the Series and banned from WRS for a set period. To participate in a championship will require dedication and reliability, otherwise it won't work, and any Official GTplanet series needs to be strict IMO.


I think each series that is created will need its very own mod/admin or somebody to who is dedicated to manage it. Perhaps a new staff member category should be created "Race Moderator". Also each class will need its own sub forum too for discussion.


I think we need to test the water several times before we go right ahead with something, otherwise it will full flat on it face.
Although I would love a massive multi class/multi divsional system, simply keeping it clear of baggage will be tough so perhaps starting out a little smaller in the begining would be best.
 
Uh, no. That would focus too much attention on a few select sets of cars and the majority of the game's fleet would be ignored for the purposes of a high-level organized series. And as the saying goes, variety is the spice of life.

Not that they can't run, but to have them be the main show... eh...

The idea is that the most powerful and prestigious cars would be driven by the top drivers. I get that alot of GT diehards are more inclined to be interested in the lesser, more everyday cars, but I feel that my system puts the best drivers in the most glorious cars. Maybe my idea is better suited for a seperate type of league concept. However, I do not think it should be discounted.

The majority of the games cars could be used for feeder series for the big leagues.

Case and point: For NASCAR league, you could have a feeder series that features Mustangs, Vettes, and Chargers racing on American circuits. Theres alot of ways that the games street cars could be used for my league concept.
 
What do you mean keeping it clear of baggage? I've never heard the term.

Also, as for a race moderator, I'll go one better... we need a committee. With subcommittees for the WRS and any series major enough to warrant one.
 
What do you mean keeping it clear of baggage? I've never heard the term.

Also, as for a race moderator, I'll go one better... we need a committee. With subcommittees for the WRS and any series major enough to warrant one.

I think what he means is that with single division racing its less likely that people will be lapped etc, which basically means less traffic since there are no blue flags in GT5...
 
Well after the whole GT5 release is time to know if the online play can do what it promises,so far I played like 2 hours of online racing,mostly nurburgring and Le Mans with races of 5 to 6 players,very competitive and very challenging,and I also had a look over the spectator mode and the telemetry,replay options and host settings,so far is noticeable that the lag effect over the race has been largely reduce,allowing some good gameplay.

To test this I performed 3 races(that's all that I had time to,apart from a quick view over the GT5 online features)so this goes as follows:

-First race,a crowded one with 10 racers and 5 spectators,almost no lag but it could be attributed to the the fact that it was "local"(same country)and run pretty well but features like damage were absent,but anyway.

-Second race was a race involving the following areas: Philippines, Spain,US, Germany,UK and Japan,lag is noticeable and in fast races could generated non-player generated accidents.

-Third races was among almost the same but all Spanish,(Spanish are good drivers BTW)a good one,bit of lag but race well over SSR5.

That is my experience,I don't have GT5 yet(due to a misunderstanding with Amazon),so I what to know your experience to get the best out of the series,and also knowing the track/car list which kind of categories do you like to race.

Thanks for your support.
 
Last edited:
Back