GTS eSports has a long way to go...

United States
United States
Actual content starts at 3rd paragraph below, but this doubles as an introduction post.

Hi, first post here, but I started playing Gran Turismo on a PlayStation that's within a month of the age I am, 2 and 4 were my clear favorites, but I fell out of racing games for a little while during high school and so completely missed (and I mean completely) GT5 and 6. I'm a much better racer than I was back then, and I've been playing GT2 on an emulator, biding my time for a GT for my PS4 since I got rid of my PS3 too early before I thought about getting 5 or 6. (I think I was a little put off by the GT4 cars imported in place back when I first heard about it, and I was so late to the game after all that I just decided to hold out for a new one.)

So I've been really hyped for GTS ever since even the teaser trailer. I'm excited for VR support, and I freaking love the car roster so far, I'm really happy that everything is completely redone, this feels like exactly what I've been waiting for. The only complaint is that the PS4 controllers don't have pressure sensitive face buttons anymore, but honestly, it's about time I got a force feedback wheel anyway.

Now for the complaints: the unveiling event was pretty bad. I'm not usually down on eSports, but this was a shame. The announcers did a pretty great job, but for the most part, it seems the only time people talked to them at all is when they were being told to cut to a video. There were tons of audio issues, and quite clearly they had no control whatsoever over the cameramen, or the guy working on replays, or the guy working on which cars to watch during the races, there was no communication whatsoever, none of it had any flow, and by far the worst part, they had no clue whatsoever who was even racing which car in the last race! I'm 99% sure the real winners of the last race were Carlos Martinez and Yusuke Tomabayashi, not T. Takashi, like the overlay and the commentators said, excepting the pro commentator dude in charge of the trophy ceremony. I suspect Takashi was in the Subaru for the second half of the race, but his name was plastered all over the stream during the end, even though the winner didn't look anything like Takashi to me.

The game glitches I expected, we're still months from release, hopefully they can find a way to keep the cars labeled even if the drivers switch next time, but I'd expect someone would have seen that coming and made sure the announcers had a list of who the hell they were talking about. Replay cams on the oval need to not clip through the wall, I have no clue at all what the problem was that made the last race restart, but you know, glitches.

The pro commentator dude was obviously there for star power, and seemed contractually obligated to be positive about the event, but he seemed pretty fed up at the closing ceremony, and just wanted to close up and go home. The winners weren't very cooperative, but neither of them were native English speakers either, which is something I'd expect he'd be used to... He was just hurrying everything along, and didn't give any actual opinions on the race like I would have liked. He didn't respect the game creator that was there on stage very much... I just don't want him to come back. He seems toxic in that environment. Maybe he was just stressed because there were minor fiascos in the background the whole time, or something, who knows.

The cameramen didn't look at any of the Vision GT cars that were there, even though they clearly were one of the stars of the show, or looked at any of the cars outside that the commentators were so excited about. I would have loved seeing at least a static shot of the Lotus that one guy got to ride in. It felt like I missed most of the cool parts of the event.

And of course, the FIA involvement: for all the talk, they might as well have not been there. I don't know if they made any judgements, they never told the commentators if so. There were no shots and interviews with them, no clear explanation of their roles. Really the whole dang event seemed like all the associated brand representation people except for the sole Bugatti guy had no clue the event was even happening. No one represented their companies well, no one respected anybody at all. It was a shoddy event.

There was tons of potential there, but they really need to clean up their act. But at least the game seems good.

I agree, the broadcast seemed rushed and unprofessional. They better get their act together when the real competition begins.

Either way, I don't really care for that as much as for how the FIA sanctioning will work when I play the game at home. Did they clarify anything on that? Online championships, field & player levelling, lobby formation, race rules & penalty procedures, pit policies, safety measures... What's with all that?

I agree, the broadcast seemed rushed and unprofessional. They better get their act together when the real competition begins.

Either way, I don't really care for that as much as for how the FIA sanctioning will work when I play the game at home. Did they clarify anything on that? Online championships, field & player levelling, lobby formation, race rules & penalty procedures, pit policies, safety measures... What's with all that?
In the game there will be a whole section regarding racing etiquette. And I'm sure some kind of jury procedure will be at least at the final stages of online championships.

I agree, it felt very unprofessional, should've let AJ and the GTPSCS teams battle it out! Lots of dirty driving, and big gaps between cars. This event truly showed the level of professionalism that was displayed by GTPSCS. Thanks to it's creator, stewards and all teams that were involved. @AJ @Peelster1 @littleregret265

Last edited:
The race looked like some casuals in a public lobby, everyone crashing and spinning out, the tokyo race looked even more ridiculous with everyone drifting into every corner. I have a hard time taking this seriously and I wonder why FIA would. Look up some iRacing videos for some proper racing, even that isn't perfect after so many years.

I only caught the last lap of the race on the Nurb and the trophy presentation and I agree, it didn't seem very polished or professional. I'm not to worried about it though given the venue and nature of the event. I expect that organized, televised and serious competitions will be better organized and look like a more finished product.

In the game there will be a whole section regarding racing etiquette. And I'm sure some kind of jury procedure will be at least at the final stages of online championships.
I'm willing to bet that the majority of people will only see that as an event to complete, rather than something to actually learn something off of.

The biggest issue for me is that the broadcast format still used replay cameras, fixed to one car and from angles designed to show off the car, not follow the racing. I challenge anyone to give an accurate description of that Oval race, I was totally lost. I'm pretty sure that is why they didn't ask the professional commentator, Ben Edwards, commentate the race.

Even if you replaced the shoddy driving with perfect, professional racing it would still be extremely hard and exhausting to follow a race like that. They claimed it would be just like watching a real FIA event, I'm afraid they're miles away at the moment.

I'm willing to bet that the majority of people will only see that as an event to complete, rather than something to actually learn something off of.
Very likely so. Anyway, best to have it set as missions with briefing than just a wall of text. The restart hell will be extremely educational. :lol:

In my several years of experience racing online there are two methods I've seen that actually work for keeping racing clean. A stern host and/or a set of rules programmed into the game that tracks collisions and performance and rank you accordingly. If videos or a handful of training sessions worked, everyone would be a clean racer.

It was not that bad to be honest. It's PD first time doing live eSport. Forza had an eSport event and it was a crash fest too just like GtSport.

Did I just see Jahn Mardenborough playing there?
flat,800x800,070,f.u2.jpg

For me the problem is the potential very low viewership numbers. With those the upcoming events will be as bad if not worse than what we saw, simply because of not having enough funds to do things right.

I really don't know how PD figured out that they can get a share of the e.sports market, when GT Academy on Twitch had 50 viewers tops. iRacing, the by far most popular, doesn't get more than a couple hundred.

The launch event had 12,000 viewers tops, which is going to be the peak of the game for a long time. Even with that amount it's impossible to host an event without losing money. Further, PD would lose even more so if they hire and fly over a proper caster for example, dismissing that possibility if there's too few viewers.

Last edited:
About future events, I think it'd be best if PD hosted competitions at established events, instead of hosting their own. Dreamhack's and ESL's come to mind.

Those established companies have the expertise already to do a far better job than what was shown yesterday, at hosting the event itself and broadcasting it.

For example, instead of training someone to become a caster, then might as well just hire the team that broadcasts iRacing races. Instead of getting a Youtube star, get Joe Miller.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if this has been discussed already but I'm really curious to know what you think is going to happen eSports wise for us Simracer after the release of GT Sport.

Is it realistic to hope for that the structure and money involved allows some of us to be professionals and actually get paid for what we are doing?

I'm not talking about one-off events like the GT Academy, that's not getting us forward in the eSports scene. I wish to see that our sport gets near games like CS GO or LOL eSports wise so the best of us reach public interest, teams grow big and pick up established sponsors and do driving for their living.

Do you think we can make that step and reach the next level in eSports?

Not unless GT Sport actually plans to offer monetary prizes, so far they're just letting the winners get a trophy at the FIA Gala, there is no money in it.

Even then, I can't see it rising in interest that quickly given that unlike CS:GO, LOL, or whatever, motorsports exists in reality with real drivers already available to follow.

If you want to do driving for a living, actually do it in reality. I can't see it ever getting to that stage on a virtual level.

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if this has been discussed already but I'm really curious to know what you think is going to happen eSports wise for us Simracer after the release of GT Sport.

Is it realistic to hope for that the structure and money involved allows some of us to be professionals and actually get paid for what we are doing?

I'm not talking about one-off events like the GT Academy, that's not getting us forward in the eSports scene. I wish to see that our sport gets near games like CS GO or LOL eSports wise so the best of us reach public interest, teams grow big and pick up established sponsors and do driving for their living.

I haven't read up on how many events are hosted like this, but I guess there is big money to be made in eSports.
http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/01/03/engel-bathurst-12-hour-super-team-needs-deliver/
“It is the first simulator Formula E race,” Engel, who drives for the Venturi Formula E team, said.

“All of the 20 Formula E drivers will be there plus an extra 10 gamers racers who have qualified for the event. It’s something new and exciting.

“It carries a $1million prize pool and we will race for it on simulators.”

Hi everyone,

If I recall Kaz specifically said that there won't be monetary prizes. It won't get anywhere near any of the big e-sports games without that, or even the little ones. And certainly no one will be becoming a professional off the back of GTS if that's the way it is.

There's definitely big money to be made in e-sports, but Polyphony seems keen to ensure that they're not part of it.

I haven't read up on how many events are hosted like this, but I guess there is big money to be made in eSports.
http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/01/03/engel-bathurst-12-hour-super-team-needs-deliver/
SMS has given away some big prizes as well. iRacing has been doing it for a while. I expect it to take off exponentially in the next couple of years. Remains to be seen where PolyD and Kaz are on this. A dinner in Paris is great, but it won't carry the same prestige or street cred as giving away big money, cars etc. It'll make it seem rather amateur in fact, if that's what the top prize actually is.

I just wonder how it ties in with the Manufacturers Cup. Is it like the PCars Ginetta esports? Maybe real manufacturers* look at it from that stand point.

PD say once you get your FIA licence, there's more training involved. Does that include marques other than Nissan GTA? Does this open up rides to Aston Martin Gentlemen's Cup drives? How much are PD investing in those that can continue past the dinner?

*participating manufacturers, if any

SMS has given away some big prizes as well. iRacing has been doing it for a while. I expect it to take off exponentially in the next couple of years. Remains to be seen where PolyD and Kaz are on this. A dinner in Paris is great, but it won't carry the same prestige or street cred as giving away big money, cars etc. It'll make it seem rather amateur in fact, if that's what the top prize actually is.

Remember PD are presenting these as official FIA championships, they have the exact same standing and importance as real world FIA World Championships according to them.

To them, that is enough of a prize, in the same way Nico Rosberg didn't get anything of monetary value for winning the F1 title (Well, not from the FIA anyway - I imagine he had a nice bonus from Merc). He got a trophy and that's about it.

Honestly though the top prize is not the biggest issue, whether it's $1million or a trophy at the FIA Gala. The fact is you're going to have to be one of the elite to even stand a chance of winning the top prize, so what is the incentive for the other 90% of players? Are they going to spend months in these official FIA championships to finish in 320,000 position? Hey, maybe they're pretty good and will reach the top 5,000. Still nothing.

PD say once you get your FIA licence, there's more training involved. Does that include marques other than Nissan GTA? Does this open up rides to Aston Martin Gentlemen's Cup drives? How much are PD investing in those that can continue past the dinner?

Where have you got all that from? Getting a real world license in the game is just meant as an alternative avenue to getting started, and it's available for anyone, it's not a prize. There is no support from PD to actually get you racing. That's up to you.

It's probably worth remembering that Sports Mode (at least from some images we've seen) contains events other than FIA events.

Obviously, I have no clue regarding prizes etc. that may or may not come from such events.

Remember PD are presenting these as official FIA championships, they have the exact same standing and importance as real world FIA World Championships according to them.

To them, that is enough of a prize, in the same way Nico Rosberg didn't get anything of monetary value for winning the F1 title (Well, not from the FIA anyway - I imagine he had a nice bonus from Merc). He got a trophy and that's about it.

Honestly though the top prize is not the biggest issue, whether it's $1million or a trophy at the FIA Gala. The fact is you're going to have to be one of the elite to even stand a chance of winning the top prize, so what is the incentive for the other 90% of players? Are they going to spend months in these official FIA championships to finish in 320,000 position? Hey, maybe they're pretty good and will reach the top 5,000. Still nothing.

Where have you got all that from? Getting a real world license in the game is just meant as an alternative avenue to getting started, and it's available for anyone, it's not a prize. There is no support from PD to actually get you racing. That's up to you.
The game will also introduce an FIA Gran Turismo Digital Race License which, once earned, will then pass information in to 22 participating regional car clubs including those in the UK, Germany, Belgium, India and China.

The clubs will then decide how to use that information and whether further testing is necessary before granting applicants with a race licence proper.

Yamauchi confirmed that this new system will not replace the GT Academy but will run alongside it.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/124365
If it's not replacing GTA and running alongside it, does it or mean PD will be a sponsor or not? I know players have to pay. I'm wondering if PD are having an investing part.

Can I then be a first pick for GTA if I get my FIA licence?
If I get my FIA licence, do I just try out for Red Bull Junior program?
If I get my FIA licence, does the Chinese Touring Car Championship, put me in a pool of prospective teams?
All this under a Polyphony Digital/Gran Turismo Sport banner/patch on my race suit?

http://wwwNISSAN-GT-ACADEMY-FINALISTS-2016
d/124365

If it's not replacing GTA and running alongside it, does it or mean PD will be a sponsor or not? I know players have to pay. I'm wondering if PD are having an investing part.

If I get my FIA licence, does the Chinese Touring Car Championship, put me in a pool of prospective teams?
All this under a Polyphony Digital/Gran Turismo Sport banner/patch on my race suit?
I see no reason why PD would be involved in sponsoring anything related to the FIA licence section other game.
To me, it's essentially nothing more than a small foot in the door to obtaining your real racing licence.
I guess it shows some sort of understanding of car control and racing etiquette, but only in a virtual world, and I would be surprised if any motor racing sanctioned body would give you a real world licence purely on what you've achieved in GTSport.

So basically the answer to all your other questions is 'no'.

It's perhaps also worth noting that the GT Academy is " a collaboration between Nissan and PlayStation that uses the virtual world of Gran Turismo to unearth real-world racing talent."
http://www.nissan.com.au/Discover/News/2016/September/12/NISSAN-GT-ACADEMY-FINALISTS-2016

Does that make PD a "sponsor"?
Seems fair enough to me at some level, but I'm not sure about the technicalities of it all, other than the fact that PD don't rate a mention in the official description of the Academy.

A FIA license just means that you're eligible to enter certain FIA supervised events. The game simply provides an optional way of pursuing such a license.

Yeah as eran says you're misunderstanding that. It's a different channel to getting a racing license for the real world, nothing more.

I see no reason why PD would be involved in sponsoring anything related to the FIA licence section other game.
To me, it's essentially nothing more than a small foot in the door to obtaining your real racing licence.
I guess it shows some sort of understanding of car control and racing etiquette, but only in a virtual world, and I would be surprised if any motor racing sanctioned body would give you a real world licence purely on what you've achieved in GTSport.

So basically the answer to all your other questions is 'no'.

It's perhaps also worth noting that the GT Academy is " a collaboration between Nissan and PlayStation that uses the virtual world of Gran Turismo to unearth real-world racing talent."
http://www.nissan.com.au/Discover/News/2016/September/12/NISSAN-GT-ACADEMY-FINALISTS-2016

Does that make PD a "sponsor"?
Seems fair enough to me at some level, but I'm not sure about the technicalities of it all, other than the fact that PD don't rate a mention in the official description of the Academy.
My quote mentions player info is spread to 22 clubs to determine if more training is required. So yes, they could hand you a licence if they determine so.
The clubs will then decide how to use that information and whether further testing is necessary before granting applicants with a race licence proper.
Thing is, if GTA finalists have to train, everyone should be training before being granted a licence.
I understand Nissan are looking for new talent. Gran Turismo is used to find that talent. Nissan foot the bill.

So, Kaz driving a PlayStation sponsored M6 GT3 over an R35 GT3, does not mean PD was involved in sponsoring that car?
@Samus it's those particulars I'm speaking on. I'm only guessing the road to a drive. We'll find out in time.
I understand what eran has typed. It's up to me to save up money and see if I can get a drive.
What happens to those that get a licence, but can't afford a pay drive at the 2018 Nurb 24H?

If it's nothing more than getting the licence. Fine.
I'm just thinking about further details is all.

Actually, unless they change the rules, going through with the FIA thing would make you ineligible for GTA.
If so, that's bad. For many players, GTA may be the only option. Sure if the planets align and if anyone is that good, maybe it puts a licence holder on the radar.

Thing is, what do I do once I have my licence and have no money to go racing. It's useless. Unless I can do a FormulaE virtual race( i dont need a licence for that, just saying).

Back