GTS eSports has a long way to go...

My quote mentions player info is spread to 22 clubs to determine if more training is required. So yes, they could hand you a licence if they determine so.

Thing is, if GTA finalists have to train, everyone should be training before being granted a licence.
I understand Nissan are looking for new talent. Gran Turismo is used to find that talent. Nissan foot the bill.

So, Kaz driving a PlayStation sponsored M6 GT3 over an R35 GT3, does not mean PD was involved in sponsoring that car?
@Samus it's those particulars I'm speaking on. I'm only guessing the road to a drive. We'll find out in time.
I understand what eran has typed. It's up to me to save up money and see if I can get a drive.
What happens to those that get a licence, but can't afford a pay drive at the 2018 Nurb 24H?

If it's nothing more than getting the licence. Fine.
I'm just thinking about further details is all.
To be fair, I didn't say they categorically wouldn't.
Only that I would be surprised if they did.

Put it this way.
If I was responsible for the safety of the drivers out on track on a Saturday morning race meet, a GTSport digital FIA licence wouldn't be enough for me. ;)

My quote mentions player info is spread to 22 clubs to determine if more training is required. So yes, they could hand you a licence if they determine so.

Thing is, if GTA finalists have to train, everyone should be training before being granted a licence.
I understand Nissan are looking for new talent. Gran Turismo is used to find that talent. Nissan foot the bill.

So, Kaz driving a PlayStation sponsored M6 GT3 over an R35 GT3, does not mean PD was involved in sponsoring that car?
@Samus it's those particulars I'm speaking on. I'm only guessing the road to a drive. We'll find out in time.
I understand what eran has typed. It's up to me to save up money and see if I can get a drive.
What happens to those that get a licence, but can't afford a pay drive at the 2018 Nurb 24H?

If it's nothing more than getting the licence. Fine.
I'm just thinking about further details is all.

All it means is if a person gains a 'digital license' that is unlikely to be enough to actually race in real world events, you'll still have to demonstrate real world skills via training/exams and such at your local ASN. You'll probably have to do some of the stuff people do in real license tests:

http://www.silverstone.co.uk/experiences/driving-tuition/ards-courses/

Then once they're happy you'll have a real racing license, the same as anyone else in the real world. What you do, is up to you, GT isn't going to have anything to do with it. PD are not going to sponsor random people in events or help pay for you to an event. They're just giving you a different avenue to real world racing, that's all.

Thing is, what do I do once I have my licence and have no money to go racing. It's useless.

Yes, pretty much I'm afraid.

Remember, this isn't some limited prize, this is something millions are going to be eligible for, the in game requirements aren't very high.

By fulfilling various prerequisites, such as completing the lessons in racing etiquette in the Campaign Mode of Gran Turismo Sport and reaching a certain level of achievement in "Sport Mode", you will be eligible for the “FIA Gran Turismo Digital Licence” from your local ASN (national sports authority/automobile club). This will hold the same value as a real life licence.

As of May 2016, 22 countries/regions have expressed their wishes to participate in this program. We will announce the final list of participating regions, conditions, fees and procedures at a later date.

Of course only a tiny fraction are likely to be interested in pursuing it, but it's not like GT Academy where only ~24 people end up getting through to it.

Last edited:

They watch it on TV. Along with everyone else. You think they're going to put people who earned their license in a video game on track with other people in a real 24 hour race on the Nurburgring?

I suppose that's one way to deal with overpopulation, but it seems like a slow one.

They watch it on TV. Along with everyone else. You think they're going to put people who earned their license in a video game on track with other people in a real 24 hour race on the Nurburgring?

I suppose that's one way to deal with overpopulation, but it seems like a slow one.

That's for those clubs to decide, as I mentioned.
What about the past GTA finalists that didn't get a drive? I don't know any, but don't some of the past finalists try again? I don't know how many have continued on for real drives, but acquiring an FIA licence may be some consolation.
Some of them are really quick, did all the driver training and physical fitness training.

So, this is all a personal choice to see if an individual wants the licence or not. It's there. Then becomes, is this even worth PD's & the FIA's time, to make a licence available?

That's for those clubs to decide, as I mentioned.
What about the past GTA finalists that didn't get a drive? I don't know any, but don't some of the past finalists try again? I don't know how many have continued on for real drives, but acquiring an FIA licence may be some consolation.
Some of them are really quick, did all the driver training and physical fitness training.

So, this is all a personal choice to see if an individual wants the licence or not. It's there. Then becomes, is this even worth PD's & the FIA's time, to make a licence available?

I think you're overthinking this. Polyphony/Sony/FIA aren't going to be on the hook to get anybody on the track based on them acquiring the digital license.

It's really not too different from NASCAR licenses. For those, you simply have to be over the age of 14, have $100 dollars, and visit a local track to apply. No skill involved.

eSport thing feels so forced, unatural with many games. As long as a game tries to copy the "real life", I won't take it seriously. LOL, DOTA or Starcraft are popular as an eSport because they have no roots in reality, they define themselves the "sport". Unlike FIFA or GT.

I'm just curious about the details.

There are no details. It's a license. You could go and get one now from your local motor sport body if you wished. Just because there's another method of application changes nothing.

It's not and never will be a golden ticket. As you point out, even GTA isn't a golden ticket and they're demonstrably good drivers.

There are no details. It's a license. You could go and get one now from your local motor sport body if you wished. Just because there's another method of application changes nothing.

It's not and never will be a golden ticket. As you point out, even GTA isn't a golden ticket and they're demonstrably good drivers.
I'm past the golden ticket thing. I already liked the two posts above.

I looked this over
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/does-gt-fia-license-changes-anything.346888/

The way I'm thinking about it is that's it's a nice accolade on your CV nothing more, not to get into too much details but getting a seat for the Dubai 24 hours (just one race) is hilariously expensive, so who will spend that much money on a guy who's fast online?

The way I'm thinking about it is that's it's a nice accolade on your CV nothing more, not to get into too much details but getting a seat for the Dubai 24 hours (just one race) is hilariously expensive, so who will spend that much money on a guy who's fast online?
Now this is a amazing question there are esports teams but they won't have enough net worth for that much to sponsor and add a person for that much :lol:

Back