GTS Frame rate issues in 4K

• Thread starter Leggacy
  • 45 comments
United Kingdom
Uk
TheLeggacy
Ive noticed quite a lot of frame judder when playing in 4K, mainly when starting from the back of the grid. It doesn’t do this if I play in 1080. Also in 4K when you’re sitting close to the screen, at playseat rig distance, the detail jump in the car models is very noticeable. In 1080 because the resolution is lower it’s not so noticeable.
I’m thinking that it’s not ready for 4K yet so I’m playing in 1080 for now but still with HDR.
I’ve not seen any threads about this, is anyone else getting this issue, or is it just me?

It’s at 60hz, I’ve got all motion smoothing and any sort of proccessing switched off. And it’s in game mode. It’s a Philips 43PUS6501

It’s at 60hz, I’ve got all motion smoothing and any sort of proccessing switched off. And it’s in game mode. It’s a Philips 43PUS6501

It's probably the TV, not all 4K TV's are created equal and not all of them are capable of delivering 4K content at the correct timings @60 fps. Check the documentation to be sure but if you TV doesn't support 4K 4:4:4 @60 fps then you might have a bit of a problem, some TV's can but only on the PC port or if the connection is labeled PC(some allow you to force PC allowable settings by relabeling the connection). Your's may only support 4K @30fps, check out what GTS is outputting to the TV in the options video output section and see what the TV says it's getting using the display key. Philips is not known for great performing 4K sets as far as I know, but you can see if they are or have been reviewed on rtings.com.

My Pro in 1080 gives me frame rate issues when starting from the back on the Nordschleife until I pass a few cars.

That's in quality mode though. Switch to performance and it goes away.

I've seen some judder in the campaign on pro + 4K HDR. Never noticed it in Sport races though. Perhaps the lighting is cranked up a bit more in the campaign. That fog lying low on the Nordschleife in the morning sure is beautiful. But indeed starting at the back of a full grid in arcade mode on Nurburgring 24H has a few dips.

It's probably the TV, not all 4K TV's are created equal and not all of them are capable of delivering 4K content at the correct timings @60 fps. Check the documentation to be sure but if you TV doesn't support 4K 4:4:4 @60 fps then you might have a bit of a problem, some TV's can but only on the PC port or if the connection is labeled PC(some allow you to force PC allowable settings by relabeling the connection). Your's may only support 4K @30fps, check out what GTS is outputting to the TV in the options video output section and see what the TV says it's getting using the display key. Philips is not known for great performing 4K sets as far as I know, but you can see if they are or have been reviewed on rtings.com.
Yes it does support 60hz at 4:4:4

Does this only affect GT Sport or are other games in 4K acting weird?
only GTS.
Try it for your self. start a race at norshclife 19:00 with a full grid, start at the back. That’s where I’ve seen it most.
I guess I could make a video clip of it, if it doesn’t appear on the video it’s the tv.
I also play from cockpit view, not sure it makes any difference?

only GTS.
Try it for your self. start a race at norshclife 19:00 with a full grid, start at the back. That’s where I’ve seen it most.
I guess I could make a video clip of it, if it doesn’t appear on the video it’s the tv.
I also play from cockpit view, not sure it makes any difference?

I see what you are talking about, there is something going on with the game. I'm running it through my 1080p TV at 2K quality mode and it's doing some sort of jumpy like frame thing, it's just not smooth as it is in performance mode that's for sure. Not sure if this was there the whole time or if it came to be during one of the updates, but it's something PD should be alerted to because I can see that making for some annoying visuals while driving.

It’s always been there. It’s mostly stable but it’s a little jarring at times. The detail pop on the car models is very annoying but you can’t see that without 4K.
I think I’m playing in 1080 for the time being.

It’s always been there. It’s mostly stable but it’s a little jarring at times. The detail pop on the car models is very annoying but you can’t see that without 4K.

Yea I know what you mean, I always ran it in 2K performance since I like 60fps replays. That was the first time I seen such appalling behavior from the moment the track loaded it was like running at half rate or something it was noticeable to the naked eye. During the race it was up and down at places where there were shafts of light cutting through the shadows, then is other places it was smooth. That's pretty bad, note to me to never run GT Sport in 4K mode ever, I'll enjoy smooth frame rates over more detail any day of the week.

Just switched my console to 1080p. It’s way too early for 4K. Cockpit view is unusable as framerate is too unstable. I guess I’ll wait for PS5 to fully use my 4K HDR TV...

Check the documentation to be sure but if you TV doesn't support 4K 4:4:4 @60 fps then you might have a bit of a problem.
What does the 4:4:4 part mean? Looking at upgrading my 11 year old telly and want to know what to look for.....

What does the 4:4:4 part mean? Looking at upgrading my 11 year old telly and want to know what to look for.....

its to do with colour sampling
CDA4A2B6-FEB8-45CA-9EBD-08FBA93CC1A4.jpeg

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/chroma-subsampling

My Pro in 1080 gives me frame rate issues when starting from the back on the Nordschleife until I pass a few cars.

That's in quality mode though. Switch to performance and it goes away.

There's a mode for that? Hmm...I never knew

BTW, no speed issues here. I've never seen any type of slow down, then again, I'm rarely at the back of the pack :D

EDIT: I found that my game is set to Prioritize Frame Rate but I can't seem to change it.

Last edited:
I had some judder too now in sport mode on Monza last night. 20 cars going through the chicane together causes frame rate drops in 4K HDR. And you notice pop up more too in 4K. When coming up on the last turn the distance markers pop into existence one by one.

My tv won’t select 4:4:4 automatically, It’s in a menu somewhere on the TV. There’s also a setting on the PS4 in the sound and screen settings.

Seriously, how do I change the settings from "prioritze framerate"? If I click on the option, I just get a buzzer sound. It seems like an automatic setting. Is it only available to change if you're running 1080 instead of 2k HDR?

Seriously, how do I change the settings from "prioritze framerate"? If I click on the option, I just get a buzzer sound. It seems like an automatic setting. Is it only available to change if you're running 1080 instead of 2k HDR?

You can only change that setting in 1080(2k) it will be greyed out when playing in 4K. You must select the resolution as1080 in the PS4 menus before you launch the game.

On the ps4 regular I always got juddering in a large field round corners mainly, once I upgraded to a pro this disappeared entirely. Completely smooth now. TV is 4k Sony upscaling no HDR.

I have juddering now on my regular PS4, usually in corners like you say. I used to only notice it in replays, but since the last update I now see it during gameplay as well. Especially bad in the Gr.1 races. I'm not sure if it's because PD added track detail or what, but they need to get that sorted.

Well, I think the lesson we have learned here is that it’s best to play in 1080, with framerate prioritized. No surprise there. 4K is great for hot laps or for small grids. So I’m only using it for offline. I’m sure in the beta you could change between HDR/SDR and 4K/2k within GT Itself rather than having to quit out and change system settings, which is clunky, I wonder why they dropped that?

Ive noticed quite a lot of frame judder when playing in 4K, mainly when starting from the back of the grid. It doesn’t do this if I play in 1080. Also in 4K when you’re sitting close to the screen, at playseat rig distance, the detail jump in the car models is very noticeable. In 1080 because the resolution is lower it’s not so noticeable.
I’m thinking that it’s not ready for 4K yet so I’m playing in 1080 for now but still with HDR.
I’ve not seen any threads about this, is anyone else getting this issue, or is it just me?
it's normal, mine does the same

Well, I think the lesson we have learned here is that it’s best to play in 1080, with framerate prioritized. No surprise there. 4K is great for hot laps or for small grids. So I’m only using it for offline. I’m sure in the beta you could change between HDR/SDR and 4K/2k within GT Itself rather than having to quit out and change system settings, which is clunky, I wonder why they dropped that?

the mode setting only affects replays

Weird play Gts on 4k with no probs, usually do custom races with full grid and start from last position, sometimes i do grid start position and only like half a sec lag on the first corner and after that smooth sailing

Weird play Gts on 4k with no probs, usually do custom races with full grid and start from last position, sometimes i do grid start position and only like half a sec lag on the first corner and after that smooth sailing

It really shows at sunset Nurburgring with a full grid starting from the back. Try that and you’ll see what I mean. Then try it in 2k

there are problems in framerate in 4k mode on some tracks. But usually only happens on the cockpit view.
use external cameras to reduce or eliminate the problem

Back