GTS Frame rate issues in 4K

• Thread starter Leggacy
  • 45 comments
I play on a Pro in 4K HDR and I've noticed no major issues.

But I just tried it out at 1080p to see if I noticed any difference.
I still have pop trees in the distance at Monza whether 4K or 1080p.

The 60fps replays are gorgeous... but only if there are 3/4 cars on screen.
A full grid in a 1080p 60fps replay is terrible, so juddery. A full grid in 4K 30fps runs completely smoothly.
Yes, in general it isn't as fluid, but beats juddering and frame drops.

I think I'll stick to 4K.

there are problems in framerate in 4k mode on some tracks. But usually only happens on the cockpit view.
use external cameras to reduce or eliminate the problem

Why would you drive from external or bumper cams when the interiors views are so good? I get more of a feeing of what the car is doing from inside. Also if you reproduce the nurbs at sunset experiment, you’ll notice that the frames start jumping as the camera is sweeping round the car at the start, so it’s not just due to view choice.

Ive noticed quite a lot of frame judder when playing in 4K, mainly when starting from the back of the grid. It doesn’t do this if I play in 1080. Also in 4K when you’re sitting close to the screen, at playseat rig distance, the detail jump in the car models is very noticeable. In 1080 because the resolution is lower it’s not so noticeable.
I’m thinking that it’s not ready for 4K yet so I’m playing in 1080 for now but still with HDR.
I’ve not seen any threads about this, is anyone else getting this issue, or is it just me?
Must be your TV dude. I dont get any frame drops.

Something bad happened.. I broke my 4K Tv recently ☹️ Fix or replacement on the way soon.
So I’m currently playing on my trusty old 32” 1080p TV. So I turned on super sampling to see what effect it had. It does make the picture look nice and sharp, because it’s rendering at 4K and scaling the image down. But I noticed something else.. the frame rate loss is back! It goes away when you turn it off.
So it’s not my TV. To all those who say it’s doesn’t happen to them: either don’t know what frame rate loss looks like or aren’t actually playing in 4K because they haven’t set the PS to 4K or aren’t playing on a Pro, it won’t necessarily detect it it’s a manual setting.

Framerate seems fine overall,

These are the subtle issues that bug me...

Pop-ups mainly appear on long straights (DT and look at the trees on the mountain, the road itself in your rear mirror).

Sudden transitions from lower quality to higher quality models as you get closer (track crew, buildings, car details).

1080p framerate mode helps the issues, they are still there though and everything looks jagged. I’m torn which mode to use, I run 1080p at the moment.

Its not the tv´s fault if the ps4 haven't enough power for full grid 60fps in 4k resolution :D:D 4k is maybe good for cruising alone but not for racing with more than 3 cars LOL :dopey:

Ps4pro renders at 2k and then uses checkboard rendering whatever to scale up to 4k.

Be that as it may its not super surprising, even on a ps4 there are moments where there's a noticeable frame judder on certain tracks and it also happens every lap depending on how many cars are in front of you in that corner. I think Kyoto short track is most visible which is strange as its small and there's no much overhead.

I've been having an issue with what I think might be frame rates, but I'm not sure.

I'm using a PS4 Pro with a Sony KD-49XE90 TV (2017)

4K and HDR on.

It doesn't happen all the time, most of the time it's perfect, but sometimes, like last night, there is a stutter/judder/jump every once in a while.

Last night I was doing circuit experience so not in a race, no other cars and not even a whole track. It stuttered maybe 3 or 4 times on each go, seemed to be the same place on the track every time.

When it's doing it other things stutter as well...... like the text that scrolls across the bottom of the screen, it's not smooth, it does a little judder...... and if I go into Brand Central and get a car up in Studio view the rotation isn't smooth, every now and again it stutters.

All I have tried to resolve it is turn everything off and then back on again but that doesn't seem to fix it.

It seems to have done it twice recently and both times have been just after midnight.

It did it last night, but today I just looked and it seems perfectly fine.

Next time it happens I'm going to try running it in 2K

Anyone else had anything like this?

I've been having an issue with what I think might be frame rates, but I'm not sure.

I'm using a PS4 Pro with a Sony KD-49XE90 TV (2017)

4K and HDR on.

It doesn't happen all the time, most of the time it's perfect, but sometimes, like last night, there is a stutter/judder/jump every once in a while.

Last night I was doing circuit experience so not in a race, no other cars and not even a whole track. It stuttered maybe 3 or 4 times on each go, seemed to be the same place on the track every time.

When it's doing it other things stutter as well...... like the text that scrolls across the bottom of the screen, it's not smooth, it does a little judder...... and if I go into Brand Central and get a car up in Studio view the rotation isn't smooth, every now and again it stutters.

All I have tried to resolve it is turn everything off and then back on again but that doesn't seem to fix it.

It seems to have done it twice recently and both times have been just after midnight.

It did it last night, but today I just looked and it seems perfectly fine.

Next time it happens I'm going to try running it in 2K

Anyone else had anything like this?

Check if your TV has a "game mode". That can make a difference.I have LG tv's and I have never had an issue with frame rate in 4k HDR. The only issue I have ever seen is a small amount of screen tear on Nurb (from time to time). Never anything that causes any kind of performance issues.

I play on a 1080p TV using a PS4 Pro with super sampling switched off and performance mode on and it will drop frames with large groups of cars bunched together.

Otherwise on 1080p it's generally very good.

Whereas when I played on a 4K TV I never felt it had the same consistency of frame rate.

Ive never really noticed any frame rate issues on my Pro (boost mode on) with my Oled.
regarding the 4:4:4 (with 60fps) im sure i got a message saying something like the cable couldnt transfer that amount of data so it reduced it to something else... pretty sure that was on BF1

Back